Creatip is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Which should I take?

Hello everyone, new user here.

A little back story, I'm 37, 175cm 70kg (sorry, my country uses metric, so I'm bad with imperial system), dunno my BMI. Also my weight tends to be stable, no matter if I went on eating sprees or missed meals a few times, it's still in the 70kg range. I'm a typical pencil pusher (office worker), with minimum physical activities. So naturally my body now shaped like an ellipse, small on top and bottom ends, big in the middle/belly. I'm looking to shape my upper body (shoulder, pectorals, biceps, triceps, etc), and shrink my belly. No hardcore bodybuilding goal in mind. Currently I'm unable to hit the gym due to work hour, so instead I used dumbbells to exercise at home after work. I started about 3 weeks back. I do it regularly, 3x a week (alternating days), with 2-2.5 total hours/day. I do sets and reps until the muscles are sore, at the time until the next day (so I think the weight shouldn't be lacking). I can see my upper arms are starting to get shaped, but the size isn't growing (or it's growing at a very slow rate)

So I ask around a few friends, and got mixed answers. They all agree that I should take supplements. Now 1 side said, as I'm not skinny/underweight, I should just go with whey protein. The other side said, if I want to increase muscle sizes fast, I should go with mass gainer. I'm torn between 2 sides.

What do you guys think? Which one suits me best?

Thank you in advance.

Don't Rattle My Cage DrunkenMoron's Avatar
    DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First of all, never apologise for using metric. You're part of a majority.

" Improve muscle sized 'fast' "

When you figure that one out let me know the secret..

Just be patient with it all..

BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigDaddyBrose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you aren't eating the right way for your goals, you won't see any major gains or losses...my advice would be to figure out your nutritional needs. I use an app called MyFitnessPal, but there are TONS out there just like it that you can check out. it helps track food intake and it allows you to see exactly WHAT you are eating, in terms of calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Powders and shakes are great and all but NEVER take the place of actual food. start there, continue your training program...anything to make you sweat is good enough for now. although eventually investing in a proper home gym, OR joining a 24 hour place might be a good idea.....

there is no magic pill or powder...supplements can be helpful, but not if you aren't eating the right way. takes time, but is totally worth the effort...and you learn something new every day.
    Dad
    Poolboy
    Volunteer Firefighter
    Swole enough to be dangerous

Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    protein powder helps you hit your protein for the day, which i prefer if i were to take a supplement.

"gainers" tend to be loaded with some sort of carbohydrate to add a lot of calories. yes some products are better than others in this category. I personally feel you can do better over all, for example if you had a quality protein shake and a big bowl of oats.
    πŸŽ„β›„πŸŽ„InπŸŽ„β›„πŸŽ„

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You need no supplements at all, focus on diet and training; save your money.

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information

TRAINING

Start with a solid beginner routine, these are designed to get the most for you; they are designed by professionals and use progressive overload. Read through them and pick the one you like most, follow it as it is written.

Why You Should Not Make Your Own Routine
    How To Perform Basic Lifts

Routines
    Starting Strength
    BabyLover's Starting Strength
    AllPro's Beginner Routine
    StrongLifts 5x5
    IceCream Fitness 5x5
    Fierce 5
    Coolcicada's Push Pull Legs

Calisthenics routines
    Spoiler!
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Creatip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, thank you for all the answers, I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by DrunkenMoron View Post
    First of all, never apologise for using metric. You're part of a majority.

" Improve muscle sized 'fast' "

When you figure that one out let me know the secret..

Just be patient with it all..
    Ok, so I guess it's okay to go slow, as long as I don't let up, I'll eventually get there, right?

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBrose View Post
    if you aren't eating the right way for your goals, you won't see any major gains or losses...my advice would be to figure out your nutritional needs. I use an app called MyFitnessPal, but there are TONS out there just like it that you can check out. it helps track food intake and it allows you to see exactly WHAT you are eating, in terms of calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Powders and shakes are great and all but NEVER take the place of actual food. start there, continue your training program...anything to make you sweat is good enough for now. although eventually investing in a proper home gym, OR joining a 24 hour place might be a good idea.....

there is no magic pill or powder...supplements can be helpful, but not if you aren't eating the right way. takes time, but is totally worth the effort...and you learn something new every day.
    Sadly, we don't have 24 hour gym in my country. Well, not that I know of, at least. And the nearest gym is middle-ranged, but HUGE traffic jam away after office hour. That's the main reason I can't go to the gym. I'll be exhausted before I start, and I'd be totally burnt out when I get home. Bad for working

I know I can't get optimum result only by doing stuffs with dumbbels at home, but that would have to do for the moment.

I'll try to browse around for food tracker apps you mentioned. I can't really watch closely to what I eat tho, as I can't cook myself, so I rely on diners and take outs/deliveries. As for lunch, there aren't many options close to the office. I'll still try to keep watch on what I eat. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Black_Label View Post
    protein powder helps you hit your protein for the day, which i prefer if i were to take a supplement.

"gainers" tend to be loaded with some sort of carbohydrate to add a lot of calories. yes some products are better than others in this category. I personally feel you can do better over all, for example if you had a quality protein shake and a big bowl of oats.
    So I got 1 vote for protein, over the gainer

After reading around, there are lots of calories and fat in gainers. I guess that would help out if I'm underweight, but I'm not. I'm just afraid all the excess will find its way to my belly (around it, to be exact)

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    You need no supplements at all, focus on diet and training; save your money.

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information
    Spoiler!

TRAINING

Start with a solid beginner routine, these are designed to get the most for you; they are designed by professionals and use progressive overload. Read through them and pick the one you like most, follow it as it is written.

Calisthenics routines
    Spoiler!
    Wow, awesome answer. I can't really program my diet to the T, as I can't cook, so I rely on diners. But I'll try to keep a closer watch to my daily intake.

Also, awesome exercise program. I'll start searching asap, and do whichever I can do. This really helps a lot....

Thank you for all the valuable links, and the time put in to post it, I really appreciate it.