JohnBNA is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question on Equipment and All Pro's beginners program.

Hey guys,

I had this question posted in the workout programs section but haven't got a lot of hits. Hopefully someone can help out. Thank you.

I plan to use "All Pro's: A Simple Beginner's Routine". It looks like a good routine for me to start off and progress gradually, but I have some questions regarding this plan and equipment I plan to purchase.

I plan to purchase:
    - ROGUE RML-3WC FOLD BACK WALL MOUNT RACK
    - ALPHA BAR & BUMPER SET
    - Bench

Plan question:
    1) "All Pro's: A Simple Beginner's Routine" does not specify whether the bench press routine will be flat, incline, or decline, and I was hoping someone can clarify what the bench press exercise should entail with this program as this will determine which bench I will purchase.

2) Am I correct in thinking you will be determining your 10rep max and using a different weight for each individual exercise? On the plan part 1 it really was not clear on this. At a glance it was easy to assume to use the same amount of weight for every individual exercise. For instance if you are using 150lbs for bench you would use the same for squats, and calfs, etc, I assume that's NOT what the plan was saying.

Equipment question:
    1) Since I will be purchasing the above wall mount folding rack, I am torn between whether to get the one that comes off the wall 21.5" or 41.5". I was hoping someone can help me make a decision on that and if the longer one is necessary or not and why. I see that the 41.5" does not fold back flat unless one bar folded in and the other is folded out, or both bars out, but I am not familiar with this equipment enough to know any other ups and downs to either option length.

2) Which bench?

3) The above mentioned bar and weights come with 1-45lb bar, 2-10's, 2) 25's, 2-35's, and 4-45s. Good enough?

Random question:
    1) When determining your 10rep max, will the calculator still work if you are above 15reps during the test?

Thanks for any time and help anyone can offer.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JohnBNA View Post
    Hey guys,

I had this question posted in the workout programs section but haven't got a lot of hits. Hopefully someone can help out. Thank you.

I plan to use "All Pro's: A Simple Beginner's Routine". It looks like a good routine for me to start off and progress gradually, but I have some questions regarding this plan and equipment I plan to purchase.

I plan to purchase:
    - ROGUE RML-3WC FOLD BACK WALL MOUNT RACK
    - ALPHA BAR & BUMPER SET
    - Bench
    I am not a fan of fold-out racks, particularly for beginners. They would likely be fine for an experienced lifter who knows how to fail so that the rack protects him. See the threads linked below.

Plan question:
    1) "All Pro's: A Simple Beginner's Routine" does not specify whether the bench press routine will be flat, incline, or decline, and I was hoping someone can clarify what the bench press exercise should entail with this program as this will determine which bench I will purchase.
    Bench press is generally understood to mean on a flat bench. Most programs do not specify the benching style to use, but since most beginner programs are for strength, I suggest using a powerlifting bench style instead of the bodybuilder style. Powerlifting bench style has the bar touching lower on your chest than the BB style. This means your upper arms are tucked so that your elbows are closer to your torso as opposed to your upper arms extending straight out from your shoulders. The powerlifting style is generally easier on your shoulders.

2) Am I correct in thinking you will be determining your 10rep max and using a different weight for each individual exercise? On the plan part 1 it really was not clear on this. At a glance it was easy to assume to use the same amount of weight for every individual exercise. For instance if you are using 150lbs for bench you would use the same for squats, and calfs, etc, I assume that's NOT what the plan was saying.
    Yes, the weight will likely be different for each exercise. Allpro's has instructions on how to determine the starting weight for each exercise.

Equipment question:
    1) Since I will be purchasing the above wall mount folding rack, I am torn between whether to get the one that comes off the wall 21.5" or 41.5". I was hoping someone can help me make a decision on that and if the longer one is necessary or not and why. I see that the 41.5" does not fold back flat unless one bar folded in and the other is folded out, or both bars out, but I am not familiar with this equipment enough to know any other ups and downs to either option length.
    This topic has been discussed in the forum. See, for example, Rack stability: Fold-away vs space-saving vs unsecured full and Wall mounted racks and Fold Up Racks: Need some help.. (search works very well for finding links like this in the forum)

The deeper rack sounds better because you should be able to squat and bench inside the rack. The real question is why do you want a folding rack? You are sacrificing convenience and time to gain slightly more compact storage that takes up more wall space instead of protruding into the room.

2) Which bench?
    Whichever one you like. There are many, many threads in the Workout Equipment forum discussing benches. You may want to stick with a flat bench because that is all you need to start, or you may opt for a flat-incline bench for more versatility.

3) The above mentioned bar and weights come with 1-45lb bar, 2-10's, 2) 25's, 2-35's, and 4-45s. Good enough?
    That should carry you through your first year or so, if you are an average, healthy male and you follow the program strictly.

Random question:
    1) When determining your 10rep max, will the calculator still work if you are above 15 reps during the test?
    The instructions say "between 5 and 15 reps." Over 15 reps the accuracy is shot. Increase the weight so you can do "between 5 and 15 reps." As the instructions say, " If you are a complete beginner, take your time figuring these numbers out - it will pay off big time in the long run."
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) arkaa is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    @RestoringTally - so nice to see your detailed reply. No matter how many times new-members ask the same old questions, there is always someone like you who takes the time and responds. Made me feel welcome when I first started visiting this forum. Repped.

@JohnBNA
    - I feel that folding/unfolding and setting up the rack for every workout can get tiresome real quick. Unless you are really short on space, I'd say go for a proper rack (look at the compact Rogue R-3). Also, I find having an open rack as I enter the gym room sort of inviting/motivating.

- If you have to get the folding rack, then I'd go with the shallower (21.5") one with a pair of spotter arms so that I can do all lifts/presses on the outside away from the wall. IMO, the whole point of lifting 'inside' the rack is for the safety (pin-pipes or straps or flip-downs or whatever). But the folding rack does not offer that, so then I might as well do it on the outside with the spotter arms. Plus I think it'd be difficult or impossible to bench press or OHP inside a folding rack anyway. Another thing to consider is that a proper rack seems to have many more options/accessories to expand functionality.

- Get a flat bench. The Rogue utility bench is as good as any. Their Monster bench is a beast, upgrade to the Fat Pad and it gets even better. But keep in mind that the Fat Pad increases the ht of the bench by a couple of inches. May not be an issue if you are a tall person, but some people are very particular that the bench ht be between 17" to 18". If you want another option, the Rep Fitness benches are also well regarded.

- As for the plates, if you have the option, skip the 35s and just get another pair of 45s. Also where are the 5lb & 2.5lb plates? You can't progress in 10-lbs jumps in all your lifts for more than a few weeks. I suggest a 45 lb bar, 2-2.5lb, 2-5lb, 4-10lb, 2-25lb, and however many 45s you think you'd need (4 would be good start). That should hold you for a year or two.

- And lastly, about the AllPro program. I tried it for a few weeks and, with me being 43 and basically being a couch potato for almost two decades, I found the AP program taxing. The starting 4 sets of 8 reps left me exhausted and I never got to the 5th week 12 reps. Maybe I did something wrong in choosing the starting weights or maybe I was just weak but it felt brutal. I then read up a bit, decided to focus more on building my strength with low-reps and settled on a variation of the Greyskull LP program. Followed it for about a year and made satisfactory progress. Not knowing your fitness level, I suggest that you assess yourself and try a couple of different options before you commit to a program.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by arkaa View Post
    @RestoringTally - so nice to see your detailed reply. No matter how many times new-members ask the same old questions, there is always someone like you who takes the time and responds. Made me feel welcome when I first started visiting this forum. Repped.
    Thanks for the kind words. We all were beginners at one point. I feel like I've been a beginner several times over.

Would rep, but on spread.

- As for the plates, if you have the option, skip the 35s and just get another pair of 45s. Also where are the 5lb & 2.5lb plates? You can't progress in 10-lbs jumps in all your lifts for more than a few weeks. I suggest a 45 lb bar, 2-2.5lb, 2-5lb, 4-10lb, 2-25lb, and however many 45s you think you'd need (4 would be good start). That should hold you for a year or two.
    Oops. I missed that there were no small plates. Gotta have 2-1/2 and 5s because the typical increase is 5 lbs. I even have a pair of 1-1/4 lb plates for micro-loading.

- And lastly, about the AllPro program. I tried it for a few weeks and, with me being 43 and basically being a couch potato for almost two decades, I found the AP program taxing. The starting 4 sets of 8 reps left me exhausted and I never got to the 5th week 12 reps. Maybe I did something wrong in choosing the starting weights or maybe I was just weak but it felt brutal. I then read up a bit, decided to focus more on building my strength with low-reps and settled on a variation of the Greyskull LP program. Followed it for about a year and made satisfactory progress. Not knowing your fitness level, I suggest that you assess yourself and try a couple of different options before you commit to a program.
    I like Stronglifts 5x5. It is my go to program for coming back after taking a break or getting serious again after just goofing off in the gym for a while. I am doing StrongLifts now. And I am in my 60s. But I don't think the OP is really 47. That is just the forum default.

Many others in the Workout Programs forum like Fierce 5 for a beginner's program. Rippetoe's Starting Strength is another good program.

OP, pick a program and follow it. Read all the info about the program because many questions have been answered. These programs have been around for while and are well proven. Give it at least 12 weeks before you decide to try another one. Also, it is almost always better to start out too light than too heavy.

Oh, and buy lots of equipment. After all, this is the Equipment Forum.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

JohnBNA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you guys for the thorough replies. I am 285lbs, 36yo but out of shape. I was just looking to get some decent equipment for my woman and I and get into a realistic program that isn't going to make me want to give up so easy going in too heavy. I want to progress gradually and consistently without overworking myself. Also, my job is tough everyday as well on my body. I am not looking to compete, I just want to get healthy and in shape and look good.

I have not studied all the offered programs here but I chose the All Pro program because it looks like a fair program that starts off easy and requires minimal equipment for the exercises. It looks to me like you can do every exercise with what I plan to purchase so it works out great(rack, barbell and weights and bench).

@ARKAA
    I am surprised the All Pro program was that tough on you. It seems to me that I would get bored of it before the weight was enough lol. But I haven't tried it and I guess everyone is different.

I am taking into consideration everything you guys had said, but I still may go with the fold up rack. I gotta be honest though, I am still undecided on the 21.5 and 41.5. Both you guys made some good points. Space is not an issue actually. The main reason I was thinking about the folding rack was so I had the "option" to get it out of the way if need be. I don't see myself folding it up every time. Also it doesn't seem too crazy with the price so that was another choosing factor.

@ARKAA
    you have me a little nervous now with the safety if I go with the 41.5 one. IDK

@RestoringTally
    you seem to like the 41.5 lol

Thanks guys, any further advice you have time for is much appreciated.