Closed Thread
    JohnRambo9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is this routine good enough to get me 20 pounds of muscle in 1 year?

Hello I am 16.5 years old and I am new to lifting. I want to gain 20lbs of muscle in 1 year. And I actually mean it. I take my diet incredibly seriously. Let me say it again. I TAKE MY DIET VERY VERY SERIOUS. I eat 6 clean meals a day and train 3 days a week consisting mostly the hardest lifts. I LIFT VERY HEAVY AND BY THE TIME I HIT THE 10TH REP MY ENTIRE FACE IS BLUE. BRAH I LITERALLY HAVE TO REST 2-3 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH SET THATS HOW HARD I HIT THE MUSCLES. My bodyweight is 140 pounds. Height is 5’8. My macros are 450 carbs, 180g protein, 100g fat. I can take in much more protein but I do not want to damage my kidneys (yeah ik you are laughing at this rn).

This is my workout plan: (AND IGNORE THE 6 REPS **** I ALWAYS DO 10)

Monday

Bench Press: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
    Squat: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps
    Bent Over Row: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
    Military Press: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
    Deadlift: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps
    Face Pulls: 3 Sets of 8 Reps
    Double Crunches: 3 Sets of Failures
    Bicycle Crunches: 3 Sets of Failures

Wednesday

Leg Press: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
    Skull Crushers: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
    Lat Pulldown: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
    Calf Raise: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
    Lateral Raise: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
    Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
    Hanging Leg Rasies: 3 sets of 8 Reps
    Dragonflys: 3 sets of 8

Friday

Deadlift: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
    Barbell Row: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
    Smith Machine Squats: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps
    Dumbbell Shrugs: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
    Leg Curl: 3 sets of 8
    SAME ABS ROUTINE AS MONDAY

Okay now for the abs, I alternate. It will go ABA, BAB, ABA, BAB. I hope you know what I mean. Now I maybe I am doing a little too much of abs. Or maybe I should take out the leg curls. The truth is I got this workout off this website cuz it was awarded first place for best beginner routine. I just added abs, leg curl, and face pull. There are no forearms in this workout idk if I should add that. If something is wrong with this routine please tell me. I am not afraid to do what is correct. I let go of my ego and I know when to rest and what weights to use with proper form. Will I be able to gain 20 pounds of muscle with this rouine? If not, I beg some of you all, please give me a routine that is best for building 20+ pounds of muscle. It does not have to be 3 days a week. I know for a fact that I can build this much muscle because I am consistent and never give up. I want my success more then anybody.
    Last edited by JohnRambo9; 12-14-2017 at 05:40 PM.

compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) compan has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Of muscle? Nobody can tell you that. At your age lifting, I’m sure you’ll put on plenty of muscle. Fat will come with it though so be prepared. What we can say is find a good calculator for TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to figure out your maintenance cals. You’re at 3,400 cals with those macros. 1lb = 3,500 calories. So you do the math for how many calories gets you to what weight you need and then back into how many additional cals per day you need on top of your TDEE.

As far as the routine, you could do that if you want. The intensity is really going to be what does it for you. I’d highly suggest a strength routine centered around bench, deadlift, squat, overhead press and rows. Any beginner strength program would be good to do.

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by compan View Post
    Of muscle? Nobody can tell you that. At your age lifting, I’m sure you’ll put on plenty of muscle. Fat will come with it though so be prepared. What we can say is find a good calculator for TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to figure out your maintenance cals. You’re at 3,400 cals with those macros. 1lb = 3,500 calories. So you do the math for how many calories gets you to what weight you need and then back into how many additional cals per day you need on top of your TDEE.

As far as the routine, you could do that if you want. The intensity is really going to be what does it for you. I’d highly suggest a strength routine centered around bench, deadlift, squat, overhead press and rows. Any beginner strength program would be good to do.
    First off, you can certainly put on 20 pounds in a year, but putting on 20 pounds of muscle is pretty unlikely. You'd have to gain more than 20 pounds of bodyweight to add 20 pounds of muscle. And you'll need to eat a lot (like really a LOT) to put on that much weight. Regardless of how perfect your routine is, it will be impossible to gain 20 pounds in a year if you don't eat enough to gain 20 pounds in a year (seems obvious I know, but a lot of people have a misconception that lifting weights makes you gain muscle. It doesn't. Eating makes you gain weight. Lifting weights creates a possibility for that weight gain to be in the form of muscle.)

The routine you listed isn't the worst or best I've seen. What is the progression plan for it? Do you have set criteria for when you increase weight, or is it arbitrary? Based upon what you've written, I'm a little bit concerned about your approach. When a program dictates a range of reps, you should be following that range of reps rather than trying to do as many as you can. Don't ignore the rep range! It's set that way for a reason. At your training age, you'll benefit far more from staying within the prescribed rep range and increasing the weight used, rather than forcing out a few more reps each time. If you're going to run a routine, do it as it's written.

There are definitely better routines you could be running. I recommend checking out some of the stickied routines at the top of this forum. Fierce 5, Allpro's, and The Vikings Bare Bones are all good for the early stages of lifting, as well as other proven programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and Greyskull LP.

TLDR: Eat a lot. Do a proven routine and follow it as it's written. Be consistent in both areas.

P.S. I just turned 43 1/12th today (yay me)
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

JohnRambo9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CW47 View Post
    First off, you can certainly put on 20 pounds in a year, but putting on 20 pounds of muscle is pretty unlikely. You'd have to gain more than 20 pounds of bodyweight to add 20 pounds of muscle. And you'll need to eat a lot (like really a LOT) to put on that much weight. Regardless of how perfect your routine is, it will be impossible to gain 20 pounds in a year if you don't eat enough to gain 20 pounds in a year (seems obvious I know, but a lot of people have a misconception that lifting weights makes you gain muscle. It doesn't. Eating makes you gain weight. Lifting weights creates a possibility for that weight gain to be in the form of muscle.)

The routine you listed isn't the worst or best I've seen. What is the progression plan for it? Do you have set criteria for when you increase weight, or is it arbitrary? Based upon what you've written, I'm a little bit concerned about your approach. When a program dictates a range of reps, you should be following that range of reps rather than trying to do as many as you can. Don't ignore the rep range! It's set that way for a reason. At your training age, you'll benefit far more from staying within the prescribed rep range and increasing the weight used, rather than forcing out a few more reps each time. If you're going to run a routine, do it as it's written.

There are definitely better routines you could be running. I recommend checking out some of the stickied routines at the top of this forum. Fierce 5, Allpro's, and The Vikings Bare Bones are all good for the early stages of lifting, as well as other proven programs like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and Greyskull LP.

TLDR: Eat a lot. Do a proven routine and follow it as it's written. Be consistent in both areas.

P.S. I just turned 43 1/12th today (yay me)

Hey man so I am eating 4000 calories everyday. I told you my macros. Is it enough to build 2lbs of muscle a month. Thanks. I rep back.

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JohnRambo9 View Post
    Hey man so I am eating 4000 calories everyday. I told you my macros. Is it enough to build 2lbs of muscle a month. Thanks. I rep back.
    Re-read compan's post and you can come to an estimate. There's really no way of predicting exactly though.
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    No, not a chance. No program is going to give you 20lbs of muscle in a year. You'd be lucky to add that over 3 years.

You're overthinking the holy crap out of this. Lift, eat what your parents feed you and enjoy life. Lifting to failure, eating tons of protein and other silly stuff like worrying about forearms is a waste of your time. Professional bodybuilders worry about forearms...not beginners.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JohnRambo9 View Post
    16.5 years old
    Lol okay

I want to gain 20lbs of muscle in 1 year.
    Unlikely

I eat 6 clean meals a day
    ugh

I LIFT VERY HEAVY AND BY THE TIME I HIT THE 10TH REP MY ENTIRE FACE IS BLUE. BRAH I LITERALLY HAVE TO REST 2-3 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH SET THATS HOW HARD I HIT THE MUSCLES.
    Are we supposed to be impressed here or?

FYI 2-3 minutes is pretty much a normal amount of rest.

I can take in much more protein but I do not want to damage my kidneys
    You don't need any more protein anyway but more wouldn't damage your kidneys

You're no different than any other beginner, so you'll get the same advice as everyone else. Get on a proper routine, eat a lot, and re-evaluate your goals to something more realistic.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew