garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Gym Recommendations in Houston, TX

I'll be in Houston in October 2018 and was wondering what the best PL gym is to train a few days. So far I have circled Texas Barbell Syndicate and Texas Strength Weightlifting Center but I am open to suggestions. Would be good to have a gym where I can get some training points too.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Legacy Barbell, Metroflex (in Conroe), and Woodlands S&C are all apparently good options (based on a recommendation from a local strongman athlete).
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    Legacy Barbell, Metroflex (in Conroe), and Woodlands S&C are all apparently good options (based on a recommendation from a local strongman athlete).
    Thanks Starting Strongman
    PRs:
    Squat: 630 (sleeves)
    Deadlift: 735 (straps)
    Strict OHP: 330
    Log Clean & Press: 360
    Gave stickyashell hope and now he's back in strength sports crew

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by garethlewis View Post
    I'll be in Houston in October 2018 and was wondering what the best PL gym is to train a few days. So far I have circled Texas Barbell Syndicate and Texas Strength Weightlifting Center but I am open to suggestions. Would be good to have a gym where I can get some training points too.
    What part of town will you be in? Houston is geographically huge that will narrow it down some
    771/645/622 Single Ply

garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) garethlewis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for suggestions, I guess I should have stated I was planning to be staying downtown so trips of 30 minutes plus in a car won't be viable

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for suggestions, I guess I should have stated I was planning to be staying downtown so trips of 30 minutes plus in a car won't be viable
    Texas barbell syndicate does not meet what you are looking for, then. Right now its 37 minutes from downtown with zero traffic. The weightlifting gym is pretty close, as is BeFit which is probably the closest 'hardcore' gym to downtown. Neither are reasonably possible to walk to. There's some more random gyms that may be good in the 3rd ward but I've never found any decent info on them
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Thanks for this but what about the Texas Strength Weightlifting Center? How do they rate? I'm anticipating they'll be easier enough to get to on public transport

Thanks for this but what about the Texas Strength Weightlifting Center? How do they rate? I'm anticipating they'll be easier enough to get to on public transport
    I haven't been in, but I drive past it all the time. It looks like a nicely equipped gym for weightlifting. WL bars, bumper plates, boxes, racks etc. I'm not sure you'll find anything for bodybuilding exercises or thin enough plates to go super heavy. They are physically (not sure if financially) attached to a crossfit place

What do you mean by public transportation? Thats not... really a big thing in Houston. We have a light rail that can get you 12 minutes away with walking. That would be getting off of the light rail at the Leeland Third Ward SB stop and walking to Texas Strength Weightlifting. You'd be walking on freeway service roads

If you mean something like a Uber or something, then yeah thats a short drive.. 7 minutes from that gym to the far edge of downtown
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    I haven't been in, but I drive past it all the time. It looks like a nicely equipped gym for weightlifting. WL bars, bumper plates, boxes, racks etc. I'm not sure you'll find anything for bodybuilding exercises or thin enough plates to go super heavy. They are physically (not sure if financially) attached to a crossfit place

What do you mean by public transportation? Thats not... really a big thing in Houston. We have a light rail that can get you 12 minutes away with walking. That would be getting off of the light rail at the Leeland Third Ward SB stop and walking to Texas Strength Weightlifting. You'd be walking on freeway service roads

If you mean something like a Uber or something, then yeah thats a short drive.. 7 minutes from that gym to the far edge of downtown
    To be honest I wouldn't be going super heavy, I just want somewhere that's catered moreso for weights than a general gym

Google Maps is stating buses are available but it's only approximately $13 round trip in an Uber from where I will be staying so perhaps it'd be easier to just do that.

Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lpenny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's tough to live in Texas without a car
    PRs:
    Squat: 630 (sleeves)
    Deadlift: 735 (straps)
    Strict OHP: 330
    Log Clean & Press: 360
    Gave stickyashell hope and now he's back in strength sports crew

people said that about LA but I found it easy to get around using their public transport

people said that about LA but I found it easy to get around using their public transport
    Was in LA last week

Not remotely similar. LA has a walkability score of 67/100 and a public transit score of 51 (both of which are still bad), but Houston is at 48 and 36.

Here's the lightrail map, in case you haven't seen it. Like I said before depending on where you are downtown (if you are truly downtown, which is rare since our downtown isn't really the center of the city) you'd probably hop on the purple line either at the theater district or central station and get off at Leeland/Third Ward to go to the weightlifting gym

I would recommend you get TexMex, BBQ, and Vietnamese food while here. All of the popular TexMex places are pretty good. Papa Charlies is the most famous BBQ close to downtown but its not my cup of tea. I'd rather go a little further to Pit Room or Pinkertons (both are still inside the loop [the smaller freeway that circles the city]) or if you are feeling like traveling about a half hour at least go down to Killen's in Pearland. There's a very small collection of decent Vietnamese in Midtown (Cali Sand witches, Pho Saigon) and a few others. If you want the good stuff you'd want to head out to Bellaire blvd

https://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/Rail.aspx

I assume you will walk some places. Just be very vigilant. People here often do not stop at stop signs, or lights. Look both ways even down 1-ways. At least once a month I see someone flying down a 1-way in the wrong direction. Assume every single person in a motor vehicle is blind, drunk, and texting. NEVER trust the countdown on walk sign. Downtown might be fine, but I live less than a mile away and ours will go 18, 17, 16, 15, 0 stop walking, now cars are coming
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Thanks for all the heads up!

BJJMark95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BJJMark95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I know its a bit late - but it all depends on what you are looking for and if you are willing to take the uber.

~what part of October are you coming?

I know Texas Barbell Syndicate well and if you are up for the Uber - it would be a very welcoming place. I may be a bit biased though - I along with my wife am the owner of TBS. I may or may not be in town as Raw Nationals is around that time and am planning to travel for that.

If you want any more options I can provide a list of places to go check out while you are here. Just give me a message.

I'll be in Houston from October 21-25, does that clash with Raw Nationals?

I will message you now if that's ok

I just realised I am not sure how to message you directly but I will give the gym a call and suss it out that way

BJJMark95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BJJMark95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just realised I am not sure how to message you directly but I will give the gym a call and suss it out that way
    Actually no - Raw nationals is the week before that! So I'll be there. Come on by! We'll get you taken care of! And sorry for the long replies - I do not frequent these boards hahahaha.

Dope thanks, I will check in with you closer to the date!

Legend19902017 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Info

Can someone tell me what is the best gym to go to to start bodybuilding and learn from them I live in humble