alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Type 2 Diabetic -Pre and post workout

Any Type 2 Diabetics who have dialed in their pre and post work out routines?
    I'm type 2 and very carb intolerant. It instantly turns to fat. I'm currently ending my first cut ever (dropped from 244 to 204 and 30%BF to 15%BF) and am lifting 4 days a week. Going to be stabilizing my diet for thenext few weeks at about 2100 calories on a P:45% F:35% and C:20% split. All of my carbs are clean and low glycemic index except for my post workout.
    My pre consists of a popular creatine / stimulant drink and half a sweet potato, my post is protein shake, banana, spinach, bcaa shake.
    Would love to hear what other Type 2s are doing.
    Thanks

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You don't need any carbs post workout.

BCAAs are utterly useless. Consume whole protein instead.

As a T2D you may want to look into ketogenic dieting. It seems to work well for T2D.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by alexmmathew View Post
    I'm type 2 and very carb intolerant. It instantly turns to fat. I'm currently ending my first cut ever (dropped from 244 to 204 and 30%BF to 15%BF) and am lifting 4 days a week. Going to be stabilizing my diet for thenext few weeks at about 2100 calories on a P:45% F:35% and C:20% split. All of my carbs are clean and low glycemic index except for my post workout.
    My pre consists of a popular creatine / stimulant drink and half a sweet potato, my post is protein shake, banana, spinach, bcaa shake.
    Thanks
    Everything you think you know is wrong.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Are you really 22? Were you on insulin? If not you may actually not have type 2 diabetes mellitus anymore after losing the fat.

grayguo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) grayguo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks
    Hey alexmmathew, I don’t have type 2 diabetes but I found an article that may help you figure out what post and pre workout meals can work for you.

Google “carbohydrate counting for people with type 2 diabetes” and look for the article by American Diabetes Association.

It’s a dense read, but basically it outlines how you can run experiments to see your blood glucose levels at different points of the day. This will probably help you adjust your meals so you reach something more optimal for your body.
    Gray Guo
    Aspiring Personal Trainer | Amateur Physique Competitor
    Feel free to message me if you want to chat!
    Email: gg348@cornell.edu

alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10) alexmmathew is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    Everything you think you know is wrong.
    Thanks...that's helpful!

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Are you really 22? Were you on insulin? If not you may actually not have type 2 diabetes mellitus anymore after losing the fat.
    I'm 50... Not sure where the 22 came from. My A1c is 5.7 so technically I am barely pre- diabetic but that based on working out and a strictly low/ healthy carb intake. I've found that high glycemic carbs do spoke my blood sugar and turn right to fat if taken during the days I've tried backloading carbs and think it works ok. But interested in the experiences of others.

Originally Posted by grayguo View Post
    Hey alexmmathew, I don’t have type 2 diabetes but I found an article that may help you figure out what post and pre workout meals can work for you.

Google “carbohydrate counting for people with type 2 diabetes” and look for the article by American Diabetes Association.

It’s a dense read, but basically it outlines how you can run experiments to see your blood glucose levels at different points of the day. This will probably help you adjust your meals so you reach something more optimal for your body.
    I appreciate that but I'm a little sour on the ADA right now. I essentially cured myself of the symptoms of diabetes with diet and exercise. The ADA and medical community at large has resigned/conspired to perpetuate the myth that Type 2 is a progressive Disease which is only to be managed with meds whih is complete bs in my opinion. For years I was given a 30 lecture on diet and exercise and a 45 min discussion about medication . My doses of insulin had to increase almost monthly until I said "f it, enough is enough I'm trying something differant". Yes, they give lip service to excersises and diet but at the end of he day they push the meds hard which is the easy way out when you are fat and lazy like I was.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Your profile says your age is 22, that's where I got that from.

The reason the medical community doesn't push diet/and exercise very hard is because when we (I'm a doc) talk about it most patients don't make changes and there is no significant reimbursement for talking about it. Huge props to you for making a change but the vast majority of patients don't. Not saying we shouldn't focus on this more but that's the reality.

Hopefully with this recent study (in patients with type 2 diabetes who were not on insulin) this will change and we will focus on diet/exercise more: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...102-1/fulltext

Your profile says your age is 22, that's where I got that from.

The reason the medical community doesn't push diet/and exercise very hard is because when we (I'm a doc) talk about it most patients don't make changes and there is no significant reimbursement for talking about it. Huge props to you for making a change but the vast majority of patients don't. Not saying we shouldn't focus on this more but that's the reality.

Hopefully with this recent study (in patients with type 2 diabetes who were not on insulin) this will change and we will focus on diet/exercise more: /PIIS0140-6736(17)33102-1/fulltext[/url]
    You hit the nail on the head with that one. I was fortunate enough to have my company pay for a program that bougt a nutritionist to my office every week for weigh ins, education, motivation etc. I think the single biggest unaddressed issue is motivation though. The concept of early death or digits dropping off are just to nebulous to motivate most people in to sustained had action. For me it was was a competition between me and one of the guys here and the idea of eating every 3 hours! Now, when results came fast and furious it turned into a competition between fat lazy Alex and ripped healthy Alex (who is currently winning! haha). Point being that I think an insurance program that said "sorry, no meds for you until you go through this program" would be a game changer in my mind. Overly simplified but i think you get my point. Anyway, rant over. I still need to find info on what someone who has put thier Type 2 into remission can and can not eat based on the physiological changes (insulin projuction / sensitivity) and based on stresses put on ones system by sustained diet and hard workouts.

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I appreciate that but I'm a little sour on the ADA right now. I essentially cured myself of the symptoms of diabetes with diet and exercise. The ADA and medical community at large has resigned/conspired to perpetuate the myth that Type 2 is a progressive Disease which is only to be managed with meds whih is complete bs in my opinion. For years I was given a 30 lecture on diet and exercise and a 45 min discussion about medication . My doses of insulin had to increase almost monthly until I said "f it, enough is enough I'm trying something differant". Yes, they give lip service to excersises and diet but at the end of he day they push the meds hard which is the easy way out when you are fat and lazy like I was.
    Thank you for saying that.
    I certainly don't blame doctors for prescribing drugs to patients who aren't willing to change their lifestyle. At the same time i feel like MD's go to school to learn to prescribe drugs. That's what the whole medical system we have is designed for. To treat people with pharmaceuticals. I don't think it's controversial to say natural alternatives are very often more effective without the side effects. I would say almost always. How many people with T2D for example could manage it just as well with very simple alternatives like a 5-10min walk after meals and supplements like bitter melon extract and cinnamon. There is a spectrum. Not everyone needs to drastically change their lifestyle to have significant improvements so they don't need the drugs. Of course there are doctors treating people like this with natural alternatives but they didn't learn it in medical school. Again i don't blame them for giving someone an RX who is 100lbs overweight, eats nothing but processed food and refuses to exercise. I just think its tragic that people like OP go to the doctor for help and are pushed drugs.

OP- Like Mrpb said a keto diet is something worth trying if you can stick to it. Have you ever experimented with or looked into fasting? That can be extremely powerful at improving insulin sensitivity.

I would definitely start dumping ceylon cinnamon in your shakes or take it in capsules before meals. A short walk right after you eat can also help a lot.
    Last edited by Jesse_l_g; 12-15-2017 at 07:03 AM.
    we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post

I certainly don't blame doctors for prescribing drugs to patients who aren't willing to change their lifestyle. At the same time i feel like MD's go to school to learn to prescribe drugs. That's what the whole medical system we have is designed for. To treat people with pharmaceuticals. I don't think it's controversial to say natural alternatives are very often more effective without the side effects. I would say almost always. How many people with T2D for example could manage it just as well with very simple alternatives like a 5-10min walk after meals and supplements like bitter melon extract and cinnamon. There is a spectrum. Not everyone needs to drastically change their lifestyle to have significant improvements so they don't need the drugs. Of course there are doctors treating people like this with natural alternatives but they didn't learn it in medical school. Again i don't blame them for giving someone an RX who is 100lbs overweight, eats nothing but processed food and refuses to exercise. I just think its tragic that people like OP go to the doctor for help and are pushed drugs.

OP- Like Mrpb said a keto diet is something worth trying if you can stick to it. Have you ever experimented with or looked into fasting? That can be extremely powerful at improving insulin sensitivity.

I would definitely start dumping ceylon cinnamon in your shakes or take it in capsules before meals. A short walk right after you eat can also help a lot.

For the most part, Keto was how I dumped 40lbs of fat in 4-5 months, trying to normalize my diet and have had relative success with rolling back in carbs via veggies. Will definitely roll in the Cinnamon on top of my berberine and Chromium. As far as fasting...yeah, well that seems to be somewhat daunting! haha. I do try not to eat after 8pm and not before 8am and do not eat carbs until around 11am.
    Surprisingly little amount of info out there on what I can expect to see for improvement in insulin production and sensitivity based on the weight loss and exercises. At the end of the day I'm trying to avoid going back to self testing 10 times a day to gage what any given change in activity and food intake does to my bs levels. Especially since I found out that bs testing devices are only required to be accurate within 20% high or low, which makes them somewhat useless when trying to dial this stuff in. I guess as long as my A1c checks out well from quarter to quarter im doing something right.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you ever experimented with or looked into fasting? That can be extremely powerful at improving insulin sensitivity.
    A lot of hype going around but several studies have failed to back up the claim.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19776143
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15833943

I wouldn't rely on fasting to improve IR.

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    A lot of hype going around but several studies have failed to back up the claim.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19776143
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15833943

I wouldn't rely on fasting to improve IR.
    I'm not suggesting to rely on it but if i had T2D it is something i would experiment with as part of an overall strategy. I don't see why someone should wait for the research. Considering its free with minimal risk. (Although be careful and speak with your doctor if in poor health) It seems promising enough even if a lot of the evidence is anecdotal. I think its fair to point out these studies are extremely expensive and pharmaceutical companies aren't going to fund research on it. I actually think its telling how intimidating fasting for even 24 hours is for so many people. Considering how long the human body is able to go without food.

TBH i don't feel the studies you posted are very relevant. The first was looking at IF in healthy lean men. The second was also on nonobese subjects, presumably who were not diabetic? Also fasting 36hours every other day for 3 weeks seems like kind of a weird study. I wounder what their diet looked like in the 12hr eating window every other day. I'm thinking a study something like a 24hr fast once a week and 72hr once a month for a year on diabetics would be interesting.

I am coming from the perspective of someone who if faced with a illness like T2D would pull all stops. As you know it takes a lot of research to nail things down. There are so many variables and its incredibly expensive to do.
    we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

I'm not suggesting to rely on it but if i had T2D it is something i would experiment with as part of an overall strategy. I don't see why someone should wait for the research. Considering its free with minimal risk.
    Well you wrote that IF can be extremely powerful at improving insulin sensitivity. My response is that several studies have failed to back up that claim.

Minimal risk? Maybe not.

Fasting can also increase risk of dangerously high blood sugar. “With no food,” writes Gebel Berg, “the liver releases stored glucose for energy.” Because people may stop their medications to avoid lows, blood sugar can soar. In one study, “researchers found a fivefold increase in severe hyperglycemia in people with Type 2 who fasted during Ramadan and a threefold increase in people with Type 1.” Fasting is a type of stress, and stress hormones such as cortisol raise blood sugar.
    https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...help-diabetes/

Given that fasting also decreases 24h MPS and we're on a bodybuilding forum, I'd suggest using other strategies.

Well you wrote that IF can be extremely powerful at improving insulin sensitivity. My response is that several studies have failed to back up that claim.
    To be fair i said fasting(not IF) can be extremely powerful. I think this is true and there are real doctors who use fasting in their practices. I do understand it is kind of fringe. It was only a small part of my post. For people like OP who have resolved most of their symptoms already with diet and exercise it might be a good next step. I think its worth considering and experimenting with. That's all. I am happy to back peddle a little here and say "might be" instead of "can be."

The second paragraph from that same article. "Since bodies store extra fuel in the form of glycogen (a type of carbohydrate) and fat, most people can safely take breaks from eating. Some evidence shows these breaks can help bodies heal."

I agree people in poor health and on prescription drugs should talk to their doctor first. I hope we aren't arguing over the definition of minimal here?

Given that fasting also decreases 24h MPS and we're on a bodybuilding forum, I'd suggest using other strategies.
    Priorities i guess. Somehow i doubt OP is going to be getting on stage any time soon. I would of thought you would be one of the last guys here to argue an occasional fast would matter much in the grand scheme of things.

I really doubt someone with type 2 diabetes can manage it with just bitter melon extract, cinnamon, and a 5-10 minute walk. Likely the best thing most people who are obese with T2DM can do is lose excess fat; if natural substances aid them in doing so along with dieting/exercise that could be quite helpful. Also most doctors will use medicine in addition to diet/exercise goals, not as a substitute.

Also, if I personally was treating someone with T2DM I would want to help them with diet/exercise and also give them medication. I'd rather hit this as hard as possible from the start and then as they see results with the diet/exercise I'd start taking off the medication. But really it depends what the A1c is at the start. If someone is obese and has an A1c of 7.6 and is very motivated to make diet/exercise changes and doesn't want to use meds I would be completely on board with them. If that same person has an A1c of 10.0 then they will almost certainly need to use medication and I'd want to start medication to help minimize the long term damage from hyperglycemia.

Anyways, doctors are trained to give advice for lifestyle changes and to use medications for lots of things, but the fact is that most people do not want to (or are unable to) make the necessary lifestyle changes for whatever condition they have and then medications come into play. Obviously an oversimplification but please realize the motivated people who are able to find this website, sign up, and start posting are a very small minority of the population.

To be fair i said fasting(not IF) can be extremely powerful.
    Yes and I responded with the fact that several studies have failed to backed that up.

If there's one thing continuously being hyped it's intermittent fasting. But guess what all the studies that have shown benefits have done so because they restricted calories. It's more and more looking like fasting in itself does nothing.