Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Upright Rows
    95x8, 95x8, 125x6, 125x6, 95x15, 95x15

Single-leg Seated Calf Raise SS w/toe raise peaks
    50x15, 60x12, 70x12

RDL
    135x15, 165x8, 185x8

Box Squats
    165x10, 185x6, 225x6, 225x6, 255x5, 255x5
    (+2 on 165, +1 on 225 onward!)

RDL
    185x6, 185x6
    Hating these lately

Vacuums
    10-second reps, 10 reps/5 sets

Not bad at all considering my only carbs today were a small pear, apple, and 2 small pieces of corn bread.
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 02-16-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by StinnerOzz View Post
    I do them with a dumbbell, two hands on it. If I use a bar I'll refer to them as OH Extensions, I usually do them incline, and I opt for the Max Rack straight bar. It's like a Smith Machine but the bar moves forward and is free aside from each side being held in place so you don't rock. But you can move it forward/back as easily as up/down. It's really useful:

My old gym had pre-loaded EZ bars which i usually used, but this gym is a pain to track down the free EZ bars so I never bother.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask! I change things up a lot based on how I feel, concerning what I want out of my efforts. FWIW my pecs were completely sore today and in a unique way. Definitely keeping the Gironda Dips in as much as I can to see what I can get out of them. My right (repaired) wrist was a bit sore too but it may have been from the wraps being too tight. I'll test that out. Triceps got fried from the short/brutal work too, I will keep that in to save time & hopefully hammer them enough.
    I've only ever come across a machine like that once and I found it great for squats as well as for presses because it allows that freer movement .. pressing in a normal smith machine always makes my shoulders ache
    After you'd done the Gironda dips I gave them a try-out today .... awesome squeeze across the pecs and through the lateral head of triceps. Expecting some good DOMS tomorrow

Upright Rows
    95x8, 95x8, 125x6, 125x6, 95x15, 95x15

Single-leg Seated Calf Raise SS w/toe raise peaks
    50x15, 60x12, 70x12

RDL
    135x15, 165x8, 185x8

Box Squats
    165x10, 185x6, 225x6, 225x6, 255x5, 255x5
    (+2 on 165, +1 on 225 onward!)

RDL
    185x6, 185x6
    Hating these lately

Vacuums
    10-second reps, 10 reps/5 set

My bad at all considering my only carbs today were a small pear, apple, and 2 small pieces of corn bread.
    Shoulders must've been pumped after 15 rep sets of upright rows and heavy box squats. So are you carb cycling/cutting?
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    I've only ever come across a machine like that once and I found it great for squats as well as for presses because it allows that freer movement .. pressing in a normal smith machine always makes my shoulders ache
    After you'd done the Gironda dips I gave them a try-out today .... awesome squeeze across the pecs and through the lateral head of triceps. Expecting some good DOMS tomorrow

Shoulders must've been pumped after 15 rep sets of upright rows and heavy box squats. So are you carb cycling/cutting?
    I've been doing the 15-rep finishers for a couple weeks at least now, it definitely burns. I switched grip position every 5 reps on those, going close/mid/wide. I like to lean back a little and pull upward across my torso. Seems to allow for less cheating, plus I FEEL it and have seen gains. I read about Gironda recommending to do them a few inches or more in front of your torso; I may try that sometime.

This is the first time I saw, or took notice, of this type of rack. I first used it to do seated medial/rack press and incline skullcrushers. Nice to have it kept in place while still being free.

Good going w/the dips! If you're like me you will feel an incredible and unique instance of DOMS in the next day or two. For once it felt like every portion of each pectoral was sore. That may or may have also been thanks to my flat & incline work prior to the dips, but I think they would have taken care of that on their own. I've done that other stuff + traditional dips before plenty of times and didn't feel this way.

I'm not cutting or carb cycling, but my work had a chili cookoff party today so I made sure to barely eat breakfast. Then after 4 gigantic bowls of chili, I was so full I wasn't hungry to force myself to eat before I left (which was early anyway). THEN by the time I got home it was pretty much ready to grab a 15-min. power nap before lifting so I figured I'd just go w/o food. I swear I felt less worn out today than most recent leg workouts. Good to know I can operate on no/low carbs like that, I haven't done carb cycling in many years but used to love it. I could go for leaning out and keeping it off...

DB Curls 30, 30 warmups

Drag Curls
    90x10, 120x6, 140x6, 160x4, 160x4

Rack pulls (peg 6, one peg above the center of the kneecap. Last week was peg 5, prior week was peg 4)
    135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 405x6, 495x6, 585x1

Belted: 675x1, 765x1, 585x6, 495x10

Sled pulls w/battle rope, pulling hand over hand (sled 30lbs.)
    3 plates
    9 (435lbs.)
    11 (525lbs.)
    13 (615lbs.)
    15 +a 2.5lb plate to give my friend a new PR (7075.lbs.) - pulled it halfway and I was DONE.

I was ready to leave after the rack work, buddy wanted to get the sled and have me finally do some sled work with him. So we did, and boy did we beat ourselves down! He got up to 17 plates I think, a PR for him by 2 plates (and the 2.5)! Not much isn't sore at this point, thanks to a week that looked like this: chest/hockey/back/hockey/legs/rack pull & sled work with no rest days. He got his legs more involved than I did, I was more sticking w/a rowing movement. Got to work my legs into it a little more.
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 02-18-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Here's a pic of the sled. Pulling on the rubbery floor adds a bit of resistance as well!

Next week I want to experiment w/a mix of this and pullthrough sled pulls. My partner mentioned he wants some emphasis on his hamstrings, so here we go!

Ski Calf Raise 222 tempo
    135x8, 165x6, 175x8, 185x10, 185x10

Flat BB Press (pinkies to outer knurl)
    135x12, 165x10, 185x8, 185x8

Incline BB Press (thumbs to inner knurl)
    185x8, 185x8, 185x8

Gironda Dips
    10, 10, 10, 12, 12
    First 3 sets palms out, last 2 in. Wrist hurt. Forgot my wraps!
    They still felt good, but I THINK inverse grip adds a little more oomph by eliminating triceps a bit more. Stabilization is far better w/palms in though.

Gironda Vacuums
    10-second hold x10, 10
    20-second hold x5, 5, 5

French Press ascending set (triple add)
    40x20 > 60x8 > 80x6
    40x20 > 60x8 > 80x6
    40x20 > 60x8 > 80x6

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've been doing the 15-rep finishers for a couple weeks at least now, it definitely burns. I switched grip position every 5 reps on those, going close/mid/wide. I like to lean back a little and pull upward across my torso. Seems to allow for less cheating, plus I FEEL it and have seen gains. I read about Gironda recommending to do them a few inches or more in front of your torso; I may try that sometime.
    I very rarely do 15 rep sets but I increasingly see bodybuilders working in that range for at least a few sets ... I know it's classic hypertrophy training and when I do do a 15 repper, say for BB rows, I feel my lats blow up ... going to try to do it more often from now on with shoulder and arm work. I like the idea of doing the upright rows with the varying grip

Good going w/the dips! If you're like me you will feel an incredible and unique instance of DOMS in the next day or two. For once it felt like every portion of each pectoral was sore. That may or may have also been thanks to my flat & incline work prior to the dips, but I think they would have taken care of that on their own. I've done that other stuff + traditional dips before plenty of times and didn't feel this way.
    I felt the Gironda dips really hit the outer and lower pecs which I never normally feel. Hit triceps and rear delts as well cos I found myself getting deeper. Could only get 5 reps out each set before my tris gave way

I'm not cutting or carb cycling, but my work had a chili cookoff party today so I made sure to barely eat breakfast. Then after 4 gigantic bowls of chili, I was so full I wasn't hungry to force myself to eat before I left (which was early anyway). THEN by the time I got home it was pretty much ready to grab a 15-min. power nap before lifting so I figured I'd just go w/o food. I swear I felt less worn out today than most recent leg workouts. Good to know I can operate on no/low carbs like that, I haven't done carb cycling in many years but used to love it. I could go for leaning out and keeping it off...
    Whenever I've really wanted to cut I've cut right back and gone keto for two weeks and then carb cycled ... not too difficult but I do feel weaker when I go for the heavy lifts

3 plates
    9 (435lbs.)
    11 (525lbs.)
    13 (615lbs.)
    15 +a 2.5lb plate to give my friend a new PR (7075.lbs.) - pulled it halfway and I was DONE.

I was ready to leave after the rack work, buddy wanted to get the sled and have me finally do some sled work with him. So we did, and boy did we beat ourselves down! He got up to 17 plates I think, a PR for him by 2 plates (and the 2.5)! Not much isn't sore at this point, thanks to a week that looked like this: chest/hockey/back/hockey/legs/rack pull & sled work with no rest days. He got his legs more involved than I did, I was more sticking w/a rowing movement. Got to work my legs into it a little more.
    Here's a pic of the sled. Pulling on the rubbery floor adds a bit of resistance as well!

Next week I want to experiment w/a mix of this and pullthrough sled pulls. My partner mentioned he wants some emphasis on his hamstrings, so here we go!
    Great session and looked like fun ... heavy ass drag curls @ 160 and then killed the rack pulls .... 765 is 4.5 x my bodyweight
    Really cool that you got to use the sleds ... that's a mean looking sled and I counted the 15 plates before I read the write-up!
    I use sleds a lot in my training but usually doing pushes down a concrete driveway = awesome power movement for the whole of the legs. It doesn't look like that sled has got any uprights to push on though. Pulls on a rope is hard work but great for the glutes and hams with the hip hinge movement. Putting a belt around your waist and walking forward with the sled dragging behind is a good way to make the hammies and calves grind out some work

Incline BB Press (thumbs to inner knurl)

Gironda Dips

French Press ascending set (triple add)
    Great collection of exercises to hit the pecs from all angles!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

I very rarely do 15 rep sets but I increasingly see bodybuilders working in that range for at least a few sets ... I know it's classic hypertrophy training and when I do do a 15 repper, say for BB rows, I feel my lats blow up ... going to try to do it more often from now on with shoulder and arm work. I like the idea of doing the upright rows with the varying grip
    My lats are dead when I do 15-20 rep BB rows! I made a killing in gains this past year by making that my main back lift. I started with lots of sets of heavy 4-6 reps, then when I hit a plateau at 265lbs. or so I dropped weight and upped reps.

I felt the Gironda dips really hit the outer and lower pecs which I never normally feel. Hit triceps and rear delts as well cos I found myself getting deeper. Could only get 5 reps out each set before my tris gave way
    I felt the same. That's the intention of the movement, so it better work out like that. I hope to see proper results, those are the worst areas of my pecs since I'm not extremely lean. I think they look better already with a pump, but that could be in my mind. We'll see in a few weeks as I continue on.

Whenever I've really wanted to cut I've cut right back and gone keto for two weeks and then carb cycled ... not too difficult but I do feel weaker when I go for the heavy lifts
    Has it worked well? I never looked into keto stuff but if it won't send me into a carb-craving frenzy I'll look into it.

Great session and looked like fun ... heavy ass drag curls @ 160 and then killed the rack pulls .... 765 is 4.5 x my bodyweight
    Really cool that you got to use the sleds ... that's a mean looking sled and I counted the 15 plates before I read the write-up!
    I use sleds a lot in my training but usually doing pushes down a concrete driveway = awesome power movement for the whole of the legs. It doesn't look like that sled has got any uprights to push on though. Pulls on a rope is hard work but great for the glutes and hams with the hip hinge movement. Putting a belt around your waist and walking forward with the sled dragging behind is a good way to make the hammies and calves grind out some work
    First time I've ever used the sled! My partner has been talking about it for a while and that's how we originally came to lift together. We'd always chatted in there (small place) when we did our own thing, but he wanted to pull sleds w/me so we set it up. Sled was tucked away in the office w/no staff around when we tried, so we did rack pulls together and that became something we both looked forward to weekly. Now we added the sled. Nothing i'd planned on my own, but why not! Even pulling w/my arms I get a great leg & calf beating, not to mention forearms & my grip. Grip could use help, so all the better. Since our place is so small there's not really anywhere to use the harness and pull, unless we take the entrance walkway but that'd be annoying for everyone. Maybe we will. Or maybe we'll load it up huge and try for short-range "heavy" pushes for fast twitch work. We should be able to get away w/that, depends how long that harness is. I think the battle rope pulls we did came out to about 20 feet, that should be enough for heavy pull-throughs/pushes/walks.

The rope pulls are on deck this weekend but I also want to try pull-throughs since we both have a hamstring focus. 20 feet of HEAVY should be doable in the same spot we already used. That should be fun and fry us up.

We're both amped up about lifting together now; we feed off each other tremendously. He's so big and a brute w/strength that I know I can't slack. And he knows he can't. He's impressed w/my calmness and ability to dig in, as he described "When I think you haven't got anymore" and "then pull strength out of nowhere". Like that 765 pull at a lower pin? I almost missed it AND it descended on me maybe an inch or two. I thought I was done for but I dug my heels in and, as we joked, pushed the GROUND down straight through my hamstrings to get it up - LOL.

Great collection of exercises to hit the pecs from all angles!
    That's the plan! Hope to need & get as many muscle fibers firing as possible once those dips come around. I feel the palms in grip gets my triceps involved noticeably more than reverse/palms out. As long as my wrist can support it, I'll do the rev. grip. Must...remember...my wraps!

Seated Calf Raise SS w/Donkey Calf machine
    100x15 / 180x10
    130x12 / 160x10
    130x12 / 140x10
    150x10 / 140x10

DB Pullovers
    60x12, 60x15

Gironda Chins (prone grip)
    6, 6, 8, 8, 8

Rev. Grip Pulldowns, extra hard peaks
    170x6, 170x6, 170x10

Upright Rows
    95x8, 95x8, 125x6, 125x6, 105x15, 105x15

Gironda Vacuums
    20-second hold x5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Think I'm getting the hang of these vacuums. I swear I'm seeing an improvement in my serratus and upper abs already. May try to work on learning/incorporating Gironda's weighted serratus dips soon.

I think I said it before, but next week I start a new job and will be traveling mon-thur for a few weeks. No clue what my schedule will be like but I'll still play hockey Thursday (I return on time weekly on Thurs afternoon), and lift Fri/Sat. I'll coordinate with my partner to do rack pulls and sled work on one of those days, and the other will be legs. Everything else will be crammed into 2 days while I'm traveling, or anything missed will be tacked onto leg day...Hopefully!

Rack pulls (peg 6, at knee, same as last week, still about 6-7” lower than 4 weeks ago)

135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 405x5, 495x5, 585x1

Max was smoother than last week. That's a win! My partner nailed it this time too.

9 (435lbs.)
    11 (525lbs.)
    13 (615lbs.)
    15 +2.5 (707.5lbs.) - got it all the way this time!

Sled Pull-throughs
    6 plates x3 sets, 6-8 steps each

Wife made me go in at 10am this morning. Squats were rough until the 225 sets when I finally started waking up. First set of 255 wasn't as good as I'd hoped, even with the fatigued back and hams from yesterdayband considering little rest time, but I hit my final set perfectly.

Box Squats
    135x10, 165x8, 195x5, 225x6, 225x6, 255x3, 255x5

Squat Machine Calf Raise
    222 tempo 140x8, 130x8, 130x8
    121 tempo 150x8, 150x6, 150x6

Gironda Vacuums
    20-second reps, 5 reps / 5 sets

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work lately, glad you have a lifting partner to push you.

That sled has a freakishly heavy load on it!! I am working on getting some sort of sled work out going...trying to build my own version ATM.

Box squats are something I have tried once or twice , but have not really given them an honest chance. I get trapped in the hole when I attempt larger squat weights, so I should be doing something extra to help. I played around a bit with weighted box jumps from below parallel as well. Once hockey is done will be pushing myself a bit harder on the squats.

Anyway good work
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

My lats are dead when I do 15-20 rep BB rows! I made a killing in gains this past year by making that my main back lift. I started with lots of sets of heavy 4-6 reps, then when I hit a plateau at 265lbs. or so I dropped weight and upped reps.
    I just love doing back work and rows of all sorts because my lats respond quickly .... our heavy rack deads are inspiring me to try and incorporate them into my training again: probably been 5 years since I did them as a regular ... of course I'd be happy pulling two thirds of what you do

Has it worked well? I never looked into keto stuff but if it won't send me into a carb-craving frenzy I'll look into it.
    Keto worked great for me to get everything heading in the right direction quickly ... I didn't crave carbs so much as just got very hungry at times but always had handfuls of almonds ready

First time I've ever used the sled! My partner has been talking about it for a while and that's how we originally came to lift together. We'd always chatted in there (small place) when we did our own thing, but he wanted to pull sleds w/me so we set it up. Sled was tucked away in the office w/no staff around when we tried, so we did rack pulls together and that became something we both looked forward to weekly. Now we added the sled. Nothing i'd planned on my own, but why not! Even pulling w/my arms I get a great leg & calf beating, not to mention forearms & my grip. Grip could use help, so all the better. Since our place is so small there's not really anywhere to use the harness and pull, unless we take the entrance walkway but that'd be annoying for everyone. Maybe we will. Or maybe we'll load it up huge and try for short-range "heavy" pushes for fast twitch work. We should be able to get away w/that, depends how long that harness is. I think the battle rope pulls we did came out to about 20 feet, that should be enough for heavy pull-throughs/pushes/walks.

The rope pulls are on deck this weekend but I also want to try pull-throughs since we both have a hamstring focus. 20 feet of HEAVY should be doable in the same spot we already used. That should be fun and fry us up.

We're both amped up about lifting together now; we feed off each other tremendously. He's so big and a brute w/strength that I know I can't slack. And he knows he can't. He's impressed w/my calmness and ability to dig in, as he described "When I think you haven't got anymore" and "then pull strength out of nowhere". Like that 765 pull at a lower pin? I almost missed it AND it descended on me maybe an inch or two. I thought I was done for but I dug my heels in and, as we joked, pushed the GROUND down straight through my hamstrings to get it up - LOL.
    Great that you can bounce off eachother ... sled work is fun but I can see how taking it out on the street to get a good run might upset the neighbours

Think I'm getting the hang of these vacuums. I swear I'm seeing an improvement in my serratus and upper abs already. May try to work on learning/incorporating Gironda's weighted serratus dips soon.

I think I said it before, but next week I start a new job and will be traveling mon-thur for a few weeks. No clue what my schedule will be like but I'll still play hockey Thursday (I return on time weekly on Thurs afternoon), and lift Fri/Sat. I'll coordinate with my partner to do rack pulls and sled work on one of those days, and the other will be legs. Everything else will be crammed into 2 days while I'm traveling, or anything missed will be tacked onto leg day...Hopefully!
    I had to look at a vid of the serratus dips ... looks like a great way to build them. Serratus are the final piece that sets off an awesome physique IMO ... I'm nowhere near lean enough but it'd be über cool to be able to show off my serratus again at some stage

Good luck with the new job ... hope it's been working out well so far

Rack pulls (peg 6, at knee, same as last week, still about 6-7” lower than 4 weeks ago)

135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 405x5, 495x5, 585x1

Max was smoother than last week. That's a win! My partner nailed it this time too.

9 (435lbs.)
    11 (525lbs.)
    13 (615lbs.)
    15 +2.5 (707.5lbs.) - got it all the way this time!

Sled Pull-throughs
    6 plates x3 sets, 6-8 steps each
    Killing the rack pulls and that's some sick weight on the sled now .... great grip strength to follow on from the rack pulls and then use the battle ropes

Wife made me go in at 10am this morning. Squats were rough until the 225 sets when I finally started waking up. First set of 255 wasn't as good as I'd hoped, even with the fatigued back and hams from yesterdayband considering little rest time, but I hit my final set perfectly.
    Working hard

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Nice work lately, glad you have a lifting partner to push you.

That sled has a freakishly heavy load on it!! I am working on getting some sort of sled work out going...trying to build my own version ATM.

Box squats are something I have tried once or twice , but have not really given them an honest chance. I get trapped in the hole when I attempt larger squat weights, so I should be doing something extra to help. I played around a bit with weighted box jumps from below parallel as well. Once hockey is done will be pushing myself a bit harder on the squats.

Anyway good work
    It's only on that day, but it's great! I used to train every day with a partner, but got away from it and got into my own groove. I go more quickly now and jump around a lot, but I definitely enjoy this GPP kinda stuff with this guy. We feed off each other and talk thoughts and physiology a lot. Last week he arrived a couple minutes after I did, we both looked at each other like "Ughhhh" and warned that we felt beaten down and tired, unsure of how the day will go. Then we both proceed to hit PRs like it's nothing. I love those days.

I chose and had success w/doing Olympic (to the floor) squats to help w/my power out of the hole. At one point I got up to 300+ for a paused max, and that helped me reach my at-the-time squat PR. I chose box squats this time to help get back into the swing of a parallel squat which I haven't done much of in recent years.

---

I'm traveling for work this week and hitting new gyms on the road. This week is Gold's. Every stereotype comes to this place! I can't see this being a place I'd frequent, I like them smaller, less crowded, and a bit intimate. But I did get/have to do a couple things differently. They have one weird calf machine I'll try to give a go later.

135x12, 165x10, 185x8, 205x8 (+20)

Incline Hammer Strength Press
    180x12, 230x10, 270x8

Gironda Dips - ON V-SHAPED BARS! Sweet! I don't think I felt TOO much of a difference here, which is nice since I don't have one at home anyway. Impossible to do palms out grip though, I didn't even try. I put my hands in position and there was just no way w/my bionic wrist. Killer pec burn though, so I was happy!

12, 12, 12, 10, 12

Gironda Vacuums
    Gironda Vacuums
    20-second reps, 5 reps / 5 sets

Cable pressdowns, varying narrow to wide throughout each set
    Plate 6 x20
    Plate 9 x15
    Plate 12 x10
    Plate 14 x8

OH DB Extensions
    25x15, 20x20

Rope Pressdowns w/5-second peaks
    Plate 4 x10
    Plate 6 x7
    Straight reps plate 8 x10

My triceps were feeling pumped like I can't remember, even after the first pressdown group. Stretched them out and decided to smash 'em like I haven't done in a while.

Since I'm on the road I get free meals, so I topped this off with a gigantic steak . That's my new plan: big ol' fancy post-workout steak

Freemotion Calf Machine w/2-second peaks
    100x10, 140x10, 160x15, 200x15, 240x15, 280x10, 300x10
    Tough to stabilize, but a great burn.

Rotary calf machine w/3-second peaks
    190x8, 210x8, 235x8

DB Pullovers
    60x12, 60x15

Gironda Chins (prone grip)
    6, 6, 6, 6
    Handle grips on the bar were loose and wobbly. ****ing disaster waiting to happen! Didn't push to 8 reps because of this.

Hoist mid-row - another weird one
    180x10, 230x6, 230x6

Hammer Strength isolateral high row
    180x20, 220x12
    Alternated grip high/low every few reps

Drag Curls
    90x10, 120x6, 140x6, 160x4, 160x4
    These were kinda lame today. Probably because I just did back, and more than usual. Good pump after, but didn't feel great during.

Flying home tomorrow afternoon, hockey game in the evening, legs Friday, rack pulls/sled stuff Saturday, and fly back out here Monday to repeat everything. Right now, it's steak o'clock!
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 02-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.

I just love doing back work and rows of all sorts because my lats respond quickly .... our heavy rack deads are inspiring me to try and incorporate them into my training again: probably been 5 years since I did them as a regular ... of course I'd be happy pulling two thirds of what you do
    It had been over 10 years for me, and I got right back into it as good as ever You should be fine too if the rest of your training has been on point. Don't worry much about weight, heavy is relative. There are plenty of guys who put me to shame physique-wise and aren't strong at all =/

Keto worked great for me to get everything heading in the right direction quickly ... I didn't crave carbs so much as just got very hungry at times but always had handfuls of almonds ready
    I'll have to look into that at some point when I can mentally focus on a proper diet again. It's been so long I feel too lax and lazy to get back to it. I remember one month I was incredibly busy w/work while traveling. Weekly hours that month were like 110/90/80/70, so I lived off the hotel breakfast of eggs/oatmeal, protein bars/whey, nuts, and then for dinner I just had low-carb tortillas with salsa & chicken. I didn't even lift, I was almost never not busy unless resting or eating. I leaned out a lot, and considered trying something extreme like that again, but the problem was I wasn't lifting and was just so tired with no desire to even do it if I were able to. Not sure that even relates to trying a keto diet, but I was in deficit for sure and it helped a lot. Didn't crave anything except some sort of sustenance, maybe that's the relation here.

I had to look at a vid of the serratus dips ... looks like a great way to build them. Serratus are the final piece that sets off an awesome physique IMO ... I'm nowhere near lean enough but it'd be über cool to be able to show off my serratus again at some stage
    You look pretty lean in that avatar! Mine only show when they're pumped or I pose the right way. They disappear quickly, but I've got that blocky type of muscle that shows up through the fat at times. All week so far I've only eaten 3x per day with no concern for calories or anything. Breakfast was clean and relatively light, lunch was a giant burger (one day with fries, 2 other days w/a salad from the fancy hipster place), and dinner has been a 14-16oz. steak with a baked potato and/or veggies. Oh, and my first night in I grabbed a 1/2lb. burger+pulled pork from the GWARbar, a bar owned by a local metal hero from the band GWAR. It came with a ton of fries and was eaten at 11pm...as you can see, I hardly care about my nutrition these days LOL.

Good luck with the new job ... hope it's been working out well so far
    I barely did anything yet. The place seems awesome though, and it's only short-term. I do high-level contract consulting work for hospitals or healthcare software vendors. Right now I'm at a relatively small outfit compared to what I'm used to, and they have 1 counterpart to me who isn't even on-site and barely reached out to share what's going on. And I get to travel in again next week to repeat it. At least the food is fun.

Killing the rack pulls and that's some sick weight on the sled now .... great grip strength to follow on from the rack pulls and then use the battle ropes

It's surprising because my grip has never been a strong suit. I rely HEAVILY on the hooks, even at 495 I need them. I can keep them as assistance only up until 675, at which point they pretty much do all the work. I wrap my fingers around them but they aren't really doing much. 765, forget it. My partner can grip 765 with chalk as I've mentioned. A couple weeks ago he was unable to even budge the bar w/o chalk, even when using the hooks. Oddly, I got him there. With that, I expected my rope-pulling strength would be limited but so far so good. Even when I hit my failure point in weight, it's not my grip that limits me. Starting this week I want to stop going so heavy on the rack pulls and add reps instead. Should wreck me

Upright Rows
    95x8, 95x8, 125x6, 125x6, 105x15

Box Squats
    135x10, 165x8, 195x5, 225x6, 225x6, 255x4, 255x5

Seated Leg Curls
    160x12, 160x10, 160x10

Of course some guy was camping on the leg extension machine so I couldn't superset…

Didn't even wanna go in today, but it was this or nothing for legs. Got +1 rep overall on box squats so it was OK. Tomorrow is rack pulls and sled stuff anyway.

Everything felt heavy today, for both me and my partner. Cut a couple things a little shy and still got beaten up. We're going to give both exercises a break next week and not even do them. Can't hit PRs for over a month straight, after all...

For what we sacrificed in adding weight, we did more reps and overall tonnage (rack pulls). Sled pulls, we omitted 1 set but added 2-3 plates for sled pull-throughs. That was definitely good for our hamstrings!

Rack pulls (peg 6, at knee, same as last week, now going for reps instead of 1RMs)
    135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 405x5, 495x5

Belted: 585x3, 585x5, 585x4, 495x8

9 (435lbs.)
    11 (525lbs.)
    13 (615lbs.)
    15 +2.5 (707.5lbs.) - skipped

Sled Pull-throughs, 8 steps each
    8 plates
    9 plates
    9 plates
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 03-03-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everything felt heavy today, for both me and my partner. Cut a couple things a little shy and still got beaten up. We're going to give both exercises a break next week and not even do them. Can't hit PRs for over a month straight, after all...

For what we sacrificed in adding weight, we did more reps and overall tonnage (rack pulls). Sled pulls, we omitted 1 set but added 2-3 plates for sled pull-throughs. That was definitely good for our hamstrings!

Rack pulls (peg 6, at knee, same as last week, now going for reps instead of 1RMs)
    135x10, 225x10, 315x8, 405x5, 495x5

Belted: 585x3, 585x5, 585x4, 495x8

9 (435lbs.)
    11 (525lbs.)
    13 (615lbs.)
    15 +2.5 (707.5lbs.) - skipped

Sled Pull-throughs, 8 steps each
    8 plates
    9 plates
    9 plates

Wait till you are in your 50s and see what liberties are taken cutting stuff out !!

Cant get over pulling nearly 600bs with a barbell, thats epic!!

Would be cool to see a video of your sled pulls

It's only from the knee, don't give me TOO much credit! Haha! It's pretty tough and most people probably can't do it properly, but still you look around and see REAL strong people deadlifting 600 and immediately feel weak. The 585 felt tougher mentally than 765 the week prior. Go figure. Just wasn't amped up enough for it.

I've got a video of my partner doing sled pulls, I'll see if I can do something with it. I like to stick with using my arms/back to pull, it really blasts your back, but last week on the heavy sets I had to start with a solid leg drive. Still beat my back up, and "any means necessary" is good in addition to the extra work for my legs (love it), but by comparison it was weaker since I needed the help. Hopefully I can get stronger using my legs to begin each pull, and it'll help trigger more leg gains.

Gironda Vacuums
    3 second squeeze x5 reps, 12 total sets

Incline DB Curls
    20x20, 25x15, 30x10, 35x10

Drag Curls (free instead of on the Smith)
    95x10, 95x8, 95x10, 95x12

135x12, 165x10, 185x8, 205x10 (+2 reps)

Gironda Dips
    12, 12, 12, 12, 12

Rev. Grip pressdowns
    35x20, 50x15, 57.5x12

OH DB Extensions
    25x18-20, 25x15

Rope Pressdowns w/5-second peaks
    50x8, 50x8, straight reps 65x8 (last 2 were cheats)
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 03-06-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Hotel workout. Limited but I got a great pump and sweat. Home and hockey tomorrow, MAYBE legs Friday. Saturday is back day with my partner, we're aiming to do T-bar Rows and possibly some Farmer's Walks (another couple I haven't done in many years). If I don't do legs Friday, I'll do em Sunday!

Front/Seated Side/Bent Rear delt tri-set
    20x8 / 20x8 / 20x15
    20x12 / 20x10 / 30x12
    25x10 / 25x5 / 35x15

Upright Rows quadruple add set
    20x8 / 25x8 / 30x8 / 35x8 / 40x8

Sicilian Crunch
    +20x5, +20x5, +20x5

Plank
    +30 @25 seconds, 2 sets total each using one arm to balance at a time

Oblique jackknife SS w/Oblique Plank
    10 each side / +20 @ 20 seconds each side

Single leg Donkey Calf Raise 323 tempo
    BWx8, +15x8, +20x6, +25x6

Donkey Calf Raise w/2 second peaks
    +40x ?, +50x ?

T-bar Rows, plate weight only
    45x8 each arm, 90x4 each arm
    135x8, 180x7, 225x5, 270x4, 225x5, 180x10

Sled pulls w/rope
    6 plates
    9 plates
    12 plates
    14 plates

Gironda Chins
    x4-8, 4 total sets

Workout w/partner today. Brutal to do sled pulls after those T-bars. Chins were surprisingly 'easy' by comparison. Lats are fried. Had another guy work in with us on everything so that slowed us down, but it was fun. Taught both of em Gironda Chins, and they were humbled and excited about them.
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 03-10-2018 at 12:08 PM.

T-bar Rows, plate weight only
    45x8 each arm, 90x4 each arm
    135x8, 180x7, 225x5, 270x4, 225x5, 180x10

Sled pulls w/rope
    6 plates
    9 plates
    12 plates
    14 plates

Gironda Chins
    x4-8, 4 total sets

Workout w/partner today. Brutal to do sled pulls after those T-bars. Chins were surprisingly 'easy' by comparison. Lats are fried. Had another guy work in with us on everything so that slowed us down, but it was fun. Taught both of em Gironda Chins, and they were humbled and excited about them.

Sounds like a great day at the "office". Working out with partners adds a whole different dynamic, sounds like your helpers there add a good vibe.

Oh yeah. He definitely pushes me to get everything I can out of my lifts, whereas by myself I'd sacrifice some weight for stricter reps. I can do these lifts on my own, but I wouldn't choose to lift LIKE this alone if that makes sense. Good to shock yourself sometimes though, which is why I like it.

On the heavy rows, I needed a leg drive to get going and I'd normally not do that. Even on BB Rows I am explosive, but retain form and don't rely on momentum from my legs or lower back yanking.

My lats DEFINITELY felt those rows today. My negatives were really slow too, so I surely best them down. The sled pulls were rough having fatigued our lats so much; usually we do those after rack pulls and our lats are pretty much fresh.

So early today. Lower back a little sore from stabilizing those rows yesterday. Going back to leg press today so I don't immobilize myself. Also sacrificed some reps on some sets in favor of extra sets/overall volume. Got to fly out of town for the week tomorrow after all, don't want to be in agony.

Ski Calf Raise w/3-second peaks
    135x?, 165x8-10, 185x8, 185x10, 185x10

Seated Calf Machine, single leg
    45x20, 55x15, 65x10

Leg Press
    270x15, 270x15, 360x12, 450x12, 450x12, 540x8, 540x12

Seated Leg Curls
    150x10, 150x10, 140x10, 140x10

Office gym workout with a coworker. Didn't push much but got in a decent pump. Pecs aren't even sore but hopefully later. Strength was good though!

Flat bench
    135x15, 185x8, 225x8, 245x8

Incline DB prone grip press w/5-second negatives
    50x10, 50x10, 50x10

3 sets of random cable crossover/fly work

Incline Skullcrushers
    65x10, 85x12-15, 85x12-15

Rope Pressdowns SS w/V-bar pressdowns
    Light stack
    100x10-12 / 100x10 drop 90x6-7 / 90x8

Tris are pumped for sure!

Nice bench work!, tell me... that had to be most of what you did feel.

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Nice bench work!, tell me... that had to be most of what you did feel.

I had good pec contraction for them, and they were the only heavy thing I did, so yes. The rest taxed my front delts more than anything, my poor pecs didn't even really feel it.

Tonight, solo, about 35 minutes worth:

DB Pullovers
    50x15, 50x15

Machine Rows - mid
    150x12, 170x10, 180x8

Wide Pullups - slow
    6, 6, 6

Rev Grip Pulldowns
    180x6,4 RP set

Single leg calf raise
    8, 8

Donkey Calf Raise off a step w/3-second peaks
    +50x whatever x4 sets

Oblique jackknife SS w/Oblique Plank

Serratus Crunch SS w/crunch
    +30s x12 / 15
    +30s x10 / 12

I'll do calves later in the week, along with some vacuum work. Not really feeling it today, but at least I did got some good work in. Home & hockey tomorrow, plus my anniversary! My wife goes to sleep early so I'll be able to play at 11pm 😴

Solo home workout. Partner hurt himself out of out of form during rack pulls earlier this week. Gotta focus!

Arnold Press
    50x5, 50x5, 60x6, 60x6, 70x5

Upright Rows
    75x15, 95x12, 95x12

Face Pulls
    100x20, 120x15, 140x12

High Pulley Cable Curls +pulses (narrow grip)
    160x15, 160x12, 150x15

Seated BB Curls from lap
    85x10, 95x8, 95x8

Close Grip Shrugs w/3-second peaks
    225x8, 225x8, 225x10
    Regular grip/tempo 315x8, 365x8, 365x8