Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sicilian Crunch +20x5
    SS w/Decline Bench Rev. Crunch x8
    SS w/Ab Wheel x6
    SS w/Side Plank @30 seconds each side

Sicilian Crunch +20x6
    SS w/Ab Wheel x8

Sicilian Crunch +20x5
    SS w/Ab Wheel x8

Bent Rear Laterals
    30x10, 35x10, 45x10, 50x8

Face Pulls
    140x12, 140x12

Facing Incline Bench Hammer Curls
    25x15, 30x12, 40x8

High Pulley Cable Curls +pulses (narrow grip)
    160x12, 170x12

Seated BB Curls from lap
    85x10, 85x10

Smith Machine Drag Curls (plate weight only)
    100x12, 110x10, 110x10

Great "bonus day" for a bunch of small stuff. Everything felt great, it was easy-going, and had some great pumps. I'll have an easier time throughout the rest of the week getting in for shorter workouts, so I can do legs alone tomorrow and chest/side delt focus on Saturday without having to worry about 10+ sets for small stuff.

I think next week I start the Tue/Thu hockey schedule so I'll have to lift Mon/Wed/Fri and with an extra day on Sat or Sun. I may try to begin the week on Sunday with back+ some smaller stuff, since I have fewer time constraints than during the week. Might not happen every week though. We'll see!
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 12-28-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I swapped BB for DB today. Lifting early, late night, feeling kinda sick, zero interest in risking dropping a 100+ lb DB on my head! Incline 225 for a couple sets without any lift or spot was solid. I may have had another rep left in me per set. All things considered, it was a good showing!

Incline BB Press
    95x20, 135x10, 155x10, 185x3, 205x3, 225x2, 225x3

Converging chest Press w/3-second negatives
    140x8, 140x8
    SS w/Parallel Dips x15

Machine dips
    150x15, 175x8, 200x8, 220x8

Rev Grip Pressdowns SS w/tail ends
    60x8 / 60x4 (tail ends drop 50x5)
    SS drop 40x10 / 40x8

Upright Rows
    95x10 drop 75x10*
    95x10 drop 75x10*
    * 10-second peak on last rep
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 12-31-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by StinnerOzz View Post
    Hello all, I am new to this forum and will be throwing my past year's collection of journal entries onto here for my own reference & historical purposes.

Height/weight: 5'10", 210bs.
    bf%: good enough to see abs & serratus, quad heads, and separation everywhere, but definitely not ripped.
    Nagging injuries: biceps tendinitis (golfer's elbow) - Causes me inability to grip at times, and over the years has kept me from doing much back work, all bicep work, etc. It still bothers me a little during my lifts but I've stuck to things I can get away with without much discomfort. Volume ends up bugging it though, so I keep bicep volume pretty low.

Lifting history:

Began at 19 or 20, 160lbs. Took forever to reach/pass 180lbs. Almost got to my main goal of 220lbs., but broke my forearm/wrist/hand. That set me back A LOT and lifting was never the same in that I didn't do any true powerlifting work anymore. I broke it unrelated to lifting, so it's not like I'm afraid, I was just beyond all the work to get back to it and all that...for a while.

I finally reached 220 (226-227 exactly) and then decided to get back into hockey. Being 70lbs. heavier and with 10 years off from playing, you can imagine how rough it was compared to what I was used to as a teen. I decided to change gears in my lifting so that it wouldn't hinder hockey and vice versa. Over time I dropped to 185 at my most extreme and that was at a time where the gym was no longer my main mistress. Hockey was it, but there was no way I was giving up lifting. I still NEEDED to lift, but it was more about being there, getting a pump, feeling great, and not about the numbers, seeing linear progression, weekly successes, etc. I tried, but I'd dial it back from what I was used to for sure.

I teetered around 190-195 for a while, then 195-200 for a while, then next thing I know I'm 210 again! I don't think it's affected me negatively in hockey, but who knows. I feel I should be able to be faster or more tireless at times, but maybe that's because I'm 35 now and was still in my 20s when I hit 225+. Doesn't help that I play against kids that are just entering their 20s, either! The fact that few of them can outplay me in any way is awesome. People think I'm 10 years younger.

Random thoughts:

Ex-serious lifter, play hockey upward of 3-4x per week at times, and still love to lift. I skip leg workouts at times due to hockey, since sore/fatigued legs make me half-useless on the ice, but I used to be all about powerlifting and non-competitive bodybuilding. Whatever happens these days happens, but I always try to kick ass in the gym.

For the curious, my all-time best lifts were many years ago and I rarely do 1RM work. Squat was 430+, dead was just short of 500, and bench was 345. For fun I've done 700+lb. rack pulls from just below the knee, 225+ BB military, I'm not sure what got into me in my 20s, but that stuff sure isn't happening these days! I did take half the year this year to re-acquaint myself with flat benching, something I had barely done in about a decade since I broke my forearm & wrist. That actually was the point when all my lifts were their best and I never recovered. Soon after that I got back into playing hockey and never stopped. I just kept playing more and more and working to find a way to keep lifting without having to let it run my life 24/7 anymore. I've got a happy medium, I'm all about linear progression, I rotate my lifting style and focus to achieve new goals, and my bench is back up to 315+. I probably can't hit that right now but I did a few months ago and shifted gears again. As I said, I don't stick to one thing entirely and don't burn myself out on one thing or always being a slave to the routine lest it burn me out mentally. I have far too much going on in my older age, so I want no more days ruined thanks to bad/missed efforts in the gym.

My split depends on my hockey schedule. Lately it's been back (with biceps, calves or abs, traps) / legs / chest (sometimes with triceps/delts) / triceps and delts if i can get them a bonus day of their own. I put a 2nd day of calves & abs on the other days as well. Trying to bulk up my abs, and my calves have always been my worst part as I'm mostly ecto. I have seen great progress with them this past year though, so I'm happy keeping it going without having to kill myself or put myself into tears like the old days.
    ^^^^ obviously you've been athletic most of your life and built up a strong base early ... peak lifts were huge and your lifts have come back strongly. 210 @ 5'10" is massive if you're as lean as in your avi. I saw you write in response to CPW that you keep your lifting to an hour 4 times a week so you're getting through a lot of heavy volume and doing well to add muscle, strength and size throughout the year. Good work getting that 315 bench on the back of a steady progression plan and really strong shrugs at 425 and BO rows ... are those BO rows done Pendlay or Yates style? Noted that you don't do a lot of squatting but presumably your legs are getting smashed on the ice and you have no trouble repping out heavy leg presses. Anyway good luck with the lifting and the hockey and have a great 2018
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I swapped BB for DB today. Lifting early, late night, feeling kinda sick, zero interest in risking dropping a 100+ lb DB on my head! Incline 225 for a couple sets without any lift or spot was solid. I may have had another rep left in me per set. All things considered, it was a good showing!

Incline BB Press
    95x20, 135x10, 155x10, 185x3, 205x3, 225x2, 225x3

Converging chest Press w/3-second negatives
    140x8, 140x8
    SS w/Parallel Dips x15

Machine dips
    150x15, 175x8, 200x8, 220x8

Rev Grip Pressdowns SS w/tail ends
    60x8 / 60x4 (tail ends drop 50x5)
    SS drop 40x10 / 40x8

Upright Rows
    95x10 drop 75x10*
    95x10 drop 75x10*
    * 10-second peak on last rep
    Big numbers there. (you gotta be a defenseman with those numbers) I struggle to understand bodybuilding type stuff...how it all works. Ill do my best to follow along.

Do you watch the IIHF world Juniors at all? The US as usual gives anyone all they can handle for sure.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    ^^^^ obviously you've been athletic most of your life and built up a strong base early ... peak lifts were huge and your lifts have come back strongly. 210 @ 5'10" is massive if you're as lean as in your avi. I saw you write in response to CPW that you keep your lifting to an hour 4 times a week so you're getting through a lot of heavy volume and doing well to add muscle, strength and size throughout the year. Good work getting that 315 bench on the back of a steady progression plan and really strong shrugs at 425 and BO rows ... are those BO rows done Pendlay or Yates style? Noted that you don't do a lot of squatting but presumably your legs are getting smashed on the ice and you have no trouble repping out heavy leg presses. Anyway good luck with the lifting and the hockey and have a great 2018
    Thanks for stopping in!!

Played hockey as a kid/teen, stopped at age 18 and picked up lifting within the next year or so. Spent about a year spinning wheels and then learned an incredible amount and put just about everything I had into it. The avatar pic is me from when I signed up on the site, so a couple weeks ago. I do fly in my workouts, kinda a necessity these days! It's not so bad though since I do a lot of small stuff in between the big. Tires me out half the time, but that's OK.

My rows are more of a Yates style, though I do try to get more depth like a traditional BB row. My 20-rep sets are easier to get deeper positioning on, but once I add 40lbs. to do the 15-rep sets I tend to (have to) straighten up a bit to offset the weight. I also do them in a rack (no free area to do them at my gym, so it's what we do) and set the pins at full extension, so when I need to I can utilize a Pendlay-style pause and yank it up. That comes into play on my heavier sets. For a time I was doing 4-8 rep sets of rows and relied on setting the bar down to force myself to pull the dead weight and beat some pulling strength into me. At the time, I was using 225 as well. Now I'm at 15 reps.

You're right, I do miss out on lots of leg work thanks to hockey. They get fatigued and tired, but not really worked like in the gym unfortunately. I've been able to remain respectable, and many say my legs are big, but compared to the old days when I was squatting 400+, Olympic squatting 300+, doing 20+ set workouts, etc. I notice a loss in size. Can't win 'em all though, I do plan to keep up the squat work this year so hopefully I can get back to some more respectable numbers there! What sucks is my upper body rarely gets as beaten down as my legs, so I can hammer away at them much more w/o worrying about lasting fatigue. Not that I would, of course, but in respect to legs I NEED them ready for hockey or I'm useless. I'm too important to the team to be useless

Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    Big numbers there. (you gotta be a defenseman with those numbers) I struggle to understand bodybuilding type stuff...how it all works. Ill do my best to follow along.

Do you watch the IIHF world Juniors at all? The US as usual gives anyone all they can handle for sure.
    With my toddler getting older I have less free TV time at will, but I watch what I can. I saw the USA/CAN game the other day minus the last couple minutes of the 3rd onward. They're an exciting program right now! The National Development Team's home is the next town over from me. I haven't been to many games but the opportunity is always there. The arena used to house an OHL team until a couple years though, and I did go to to those. Again, the time coincides w/the kid being born Soon he'll be able to trust to sit through a game and we shall go! Also gotta get him on skates soon.

I play D when I have to, but I'm primarily a center! I routinely drag 2 or 3 guys on me while I break in to score - LOL. I've also thrown people clear over our net, and sent a guy out of the game after he stepped to me in a board battle saying I wouldn't win it. One shove and he went flying, he grabbed me by the neck from behind, and I slammed him down so hard I thought I broke his arm. It's funny because I'm such a nice guy but I just know I'll kick anybody's ass. I won't start it but I will finish it. Thankfully I rarely have to teach lessons. I play against a lot of kids in the 20s (and sometimes teens), so you can just imagine the restraint it takes to let somebody continue to yap without breaking their head off and beating them with it.

Here are a couple bodybuilding basics:

1. TUT (time under tension): 45-60 second sets are likely ideal, adjust reps/rep tempo accordingly
    2. Perfect reps perfect the shape (arguable, but a good rule of thumb)
    3. But cheat reps/etc. are great to break you out of your comfort zone and welcome you into new number territory
    4. Get the pump, do drop/strip/static/super sets/etc. to beat down those muscle fibers
    5. Don't forget to go heavy too
    6. Powerlifting mentality can't hurt, but a mix of BB/PL might be best for your body type (as is mine)
    7. As Arnold says, think like a sculptor. I love the aesthetic of bodybuilding, so training for symmetry is always on my mind. That's where the direct (side/rear) delt work comes in and I rarely do shoulder days anymore for instance. You also may notice I do lots of work for certain things compared to lower for others. That all comes down to my symmetry needs as well. Plus, it just so happens that my biceps will NOT grow without some decent volume, and I have found my best success for back results with 9-12 sets depending how I work it. It's weird, but it is what it is!
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 01-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Switching things up this week. Wife and I got sick again over the holiday, so I was only able to get in the 1 workout. Today will be legs for last/this week, with added volume, and I'll add calves as well. I also have to cram everything else into the next 2 days, so I'll aim for chest/back tomorrow and arms/delts Thursday. Traps/abs will go wherever they feel right. Got a non-lifting friend visiting from Fri-Sun so no gym time for me!

Leg Press Calf Raise
    270x10, 270x12, 360x10, 450x8, 450x8

Seated Calf Raise
    140xF - 4 sets, varying tempos

Leg Press
    270x15, 360x15, 450x15, 540x12, 640x10, 640x10

Wall sits
    30 seconds
    1 minute

Box Squats Parallel
    135x5, 185x6, 225x5
    haven't done these in years and they felt great! May keep these in so I can get used to going parallel again, instead of to the floor all the time. My core is strong, but I'm so OUT of the parallel movement flow that I suck at stopping in the hole properly. The box being there to tap was SO helpful, the 225 felt pretty light and that's after my legs were already smashed. I bet I have 300 in me for a couple reps when fresh.

Seated Leg Curls
    170x12, 170x12, 180x8, 185x8, 185x8
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 01-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Incline BB Press
    95x15, 135x10, 175x5, 185x5, 225x3, 225x3, 225x4

Parallel Dips
    +45x8, +45x10

DB Pullovers SS w/DB Rows w/3-second peak
    60x12 / 50x7
    70x12 / 50x7
    80x12 / 60x6

Diverging lat pulldown w/5-second negatives
    180x8, 190x8, 190x10

BB Rows (peg 6)
    245x8

I had 1 more set of rows & 2 sets of machine press planned, this it was so busy in there I was unable to superset opposing lifts as planned which made the night take longer overall. By the time I was at the end, I was feeling fully beaten and felt I'd done plenty.

Tomorrow is delts/arms and hopefully traps/abs if I can work them in. If not, I'll skip 'em this week or do simple ab stuff at home over the 3-day no-gym streak. Whatever!

Birthday workout! I usually do squats for it but everything unfolded differently this year. I'm beat, that's for sure. I welcome the next 3 days off!

BB Curls SS w/Skullcrushers
    55x10 / 55x10
    55x10 / 65x12
    75x8 / 85x10

Machine Preachers w/5-second peaks SS w/Dip Machine
    60x8 / 190x13
    70x8 / 200x12
    80x8 / 220x10

Upright Rows SS w/Bent Rear Laterals
    95x6 / 45x8
    105x6 / 45x8
    115x8 / 45x10
    125x8 / 45x10

BB Shrugs
    225x12, 275x6, 275x6, 275x6

BTB Shrugs
    275x12, 275x12, 275x12

Took it light and easy on these today; focused on extra tight peaks

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Bicycle Crunch 30 seconds
    SS w/Crunch 12
    SS w/Side Planks 30 seconds each side

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Crunch 12
    SS w/Standing Ab Wheel x2

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Birthday workout! I usually do squats for it but everything unfolded differently this year. I'm beat, that's for sure. I welcome the next 3 days off!

BB Curls SS w/Skullcrushers
    55x10 / 55x10
    55x10 / 65x12
    75x8 / 85x10

Machine Preachers w/5-second peaks SS w/Dip Machine
    60x8 / 190x13
    70x8 / 200x12
    80x8 / 220x10

Upright Rows SS w/Bent Rear Laterals
    95x6 / 45x8
    105x6 / 45x8
    115x8 / 45x10
    125x8 / 45x10

BB Shrugs
    225x12, 275x6, 275x6, 275x6

BTB Shrugs
    275x12, 275x12, 275x12

Took it light and easy on these today; focused on extra tight peaks

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Crunch 12

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Crunch 12
    SS w/Standing Ab Wheel x2
    Happy Birthday Stinner!!!

Nice group of super-sets!

Happy Birthday Stinner!!!

Nice group of super-sets!
    Thanks!

I was definitely feeling the ab work, straight and to the point. I think I structured them in a way that let me beat em down, recover, and then knock 'em out quickly!

Didn't intend on working out today, but my visiting friend is getting back into lifting and asked to go! So I got some big stuff out of the way for the week and showed him a bunch.

60x12 / 55x5
    70x12 / 55x5
    80x12 / 70x4

Diverging lat pulldown w/5-second negatives
    180x8, 190x8, 190x10

BB Rows (peg 6)
    245x8, 245x8, 245x8

BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigDad79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Finally caught up over here, Ozz! Looking strong as usual.

Hey, do you remember Pesca from the old days? I still keep in touch with him on random occasions. He says howdy!

Originally Posted by BigDad79 View Post
    Finally caught up over here, Ozz! Looking strong as usual.

Hey, do you remember Pesca from the old days? I still keep in touch with him on random occasions. He says howdy!
    Thank ya!

And of course! That's wild, I was just telling someone about "this short, brick house guy I used to know who warmed up with huge weights like they were nothing". Tell him I say hello!

All the small stuff today! Chose to give my biceps a big over-the-top session. They attach high so getting that high peak is tough for me, and considering years of being limited due to tendinitis they have seen better days. They're actually looking pretty good lately, but old habits die hard.

Abs also feel slaughtered from those giant sets. The progressive warmup into working sets to hit the whole area is feeling tremendous - I'm definitely going to keep that going. Nice and quick too, so double whammy.

On the standing ab wheel rollouts, I fall to my knees on the last few inches. I thought I'd have 2 good ones at least but I just couldn't hold on. I got so pissed that I nailed 15 knee-down rollouts to follow that up. THAT felt great, at least! And I CAN crunch up to a full standing position, I just can't hold the negative perfectly all the way. Eventually!

BB Curls SS w/Face Forward Incline Hammer Curls
    55x8 / -
    55x8 / -
    75x8 / 40x8

Smith Machine Drag Curls (plate weight only)
    110x12, 130x10

Machine Preachers w/5-second peaks
    80x8, 80x6, 80x6

100x30, 140x15, 180x12

Rope Face Pulls
    100x25, 100x25

Rev. Cable Crossovers w/3-second peaks
    20, 30 not to failure, just good pumps

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Crunch 12

Standing Ab Wheel x2
    SS w/Ab Wheel x15
    SS w/Bicycle Crunch 20 seconds
    SS w/Crunch 15

Hockey season finally starts tomorrow! I play Tues & Thurs this week, and now that I think of it I also play Sunday! So there goes the idea of a leg workout, which sucks because I crammed so much into this workout already to free up time for them later - woops. I guess I'll do chest/calves on Wednesday, and triceps/delts on Friday.
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 01-08-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Flat BB Press
    135x15, 165x8, 185x8

Incline BB Press
    185x5, 225x3, 225x3, 225x4

Parallel Dips
    +45x10, +45x10, +70x8

Seated Calf Raise
    140xF - 3 sets, varying tempos, SS w/toe stands

Squat Machine Calf Raise
    140x8 w/5-second negatives
    180x10
    180x8?

Close Grip BB Shrugs
    225x12, 225x12, 225x15, 225x12
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 01-10-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Decided to go for extra tonnage instead of pushing to failure. We'll see how it goes!

Flat Close Grip Bench
    135x10, 135x15, 165x10, 185x8, 185x6

2-board: 225x2, 245x2
    275x2 Spotted reps

Rope Pressdowns
    90x15, 100x15, 120x10

Upright Rows
    95x10, 115x6, 115x6 125x5, 125x5, 125x8

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Crunch 12

Ab Wheel x10
    SS w/Crunch 15
    SS w/Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Ab Wheel Plank 10 seconds or so, all I had left!

Decided to go for extra tonnage instead of pushing to failure. We'll see how it goes!

Flat Close Grip Bench

2-board: 225x2, 245x2
    275x2 Spotted reps

Rope Pressdowns
    90x15, 100x15, 120x10

Upright Rows
    95x10, 115x6, 115x6 125x5, 125x5, 125x8

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Crunch 12

Ab Wheel x10
    SS w/Crunch 15
    SS w/Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Ab Wheel Plank 10 seconds or so, all I had left!
    Nice Push pull, lots of heavy reps. I have tried the abwheel in the past...well a barbell with plates.. a few times...ended up having a really sore lower back for a few days. Good work. Hopefully your getting some decent skating in.

If you arch your back it's pretty easy to bug it with the Ab Wheel.

Hockey was brutal this week. First game, we played 8 minutes shorthanded without subs because everyone else was late. Of course it was only me and the the worst players on our team who were there so we let up 5 in that time. Once everyone showed up we started coming back but ran out of time. I was just out of gas to do much all night at that point.
    Next game, different team, best player no-shows and everyone played horribly. We SHOULD have been OK anyway, but we love to be our own worst enemy. Legs were definitely sore after those! I play again tomorrow w/team 2.

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Played hockey as a kid/teen, stopped at age 18 and picked up lifting within the next year or so. Spent about a year spinning wheels and then learned an incredible amount and put just about everything I had into it. The avatar pic is me from when I signed up on the site, so a couple weeks ago. I do fly in my workouts, kinda a necessity these days! It's not so bad though since I do a lot of small stuff in between the big. Tires me out half the time, but that's OK.

My rows are more of a Yates style, though I do try to get more depth like a traditional BB row. My 20-rep sets are easier to get deeper positioning on, but once I add 40lbs. to do the 15-rep sets I tend to (have to) straighten up a bit to offset the weight. I also do them in a rack (no free area to do them at my gym, so it's what we do) and set the pins at full extension, so when I need to I can utilize a Pendlay-style pause and yank it up. That comes into play on my heavier sets. For a time I was doing 4-8 rep sets of rows and relied on setting the bar down to force myself to pull the dead weight and beat some pulling strength into me. At the time, I was using 225 as well. Now I'm at 15 reps.

You're right, I do miss out on lots of leg work thanks to hockey. They get fatigued and tired, but not really worked like in the gym unfortunately. I've been able to remain respectable, and many say my legs are big, but compared to the old days when I was squatting 400+, Olympic squatting 300+, doing 20+ set workouts, etc. I notice a loss in size. Can't win 'em all though, I do plan to keep up the squat work this year so hopefully I can get back to some more respectable numbers there! What sucks is my upper body rarely gets as beaten down as my legs, so I can hammer away at them much more w/o worrying about lasting fatigue. Not that I would, of course, but in respect to legs I NEED them ready for hockey or I'm useless. I'm too important to the team to be useless
    Interesting background and goes to show how important getting started early is in laying the groundwork for a muscular physique, but also how important maintaining some athleticism in your training is .... I stopped playing sports early and just lifted and cycled (as in bicycle) and lost a lot of flexibility and speed. Thought your comment about playing with 20s guys and having to hold back from ripping their heads off while they're trash talking was funny ... could just picture that. Great listing of the 'bodybuilding basics' as well
    Congrats on the birthday, training is looking great and good luck being back on the ice!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Interesting background and goes to show how important getting started early is in laying the groundwork for a muscular physique, but also how important maintaining some athleticism in your training is .... I stopped playing sports early and just lifted and cycled (as in bicycle) and lost a lot of flexibility and speed. Thought your comment about playing with 20s guys and having to hold back from ripping their heads off while they're trash talking was funny ... could just picture that. Great listing of the 'bodybuilding basics' as well
    Congrats on the birthday, training is looking great and good luck being back on the ice!
    Thank you sir! I felt I had a late start because all I knew at the time really was guys who already lifted in high school and bigger guys at the gym. But I definitely got a lot handled by mid mid-20s, more than most ever see! It's funny teaching people nowadays because I've been through so much and I don't think about any of it, so as I explain things a million ideas run through my mind at once - LOL. I did that w/my friend who visited earlier in the month, I kept giving him these awesome tips but they're so advanced I had to back and off and make sure he was understanding proper, badass basics. Meanwhile, another dude I met through my new gym is a seasoned lifer, and I just got him amped a few weeks ago with a simple tip on a tricep exercise while we did a couple sets together.

Here's probably the best non-violent story about stupid young kids...this little pipsqueak was in my face and I swear I could have taken half his team. Obviously I wasn't going to do anything to him unless he made me, but I gave him a shove and said to GTFOH. We both go to the box (late in the game) and he squirts me with water and runs away to the locker room. I laughed because of how oblivious this ****ing idiot must be. I got half-undressed, shirtless of course, and went right over to his room. On my way his teammates were coming up to me to make sure I knew *they* didn't have a problem with me. Walked in and told him to shake my hand or I'd kick his ass right in front of all his friends. He did, which is good, because I would have felt horrible "starting it". I probably would have just launched him into the corner and left it at that, though. I'm known for doing that at metal concerts in the pit, people get out of hand so I give treat 'em like a sled and bulldoze them through the air when I have to.

H ave a good one!!

Seated Calf Raise
    120xF - 3 sets, varying tempos, SS w/toe stands

Donkey Calf Raise
    40, 40

Single leg Donkey Calf
    15, 15 each

60x12 / 50x6
    60x12 / 50x6
    80x12 / 60x6

Pullups

Chins

Rev. Grip Pulldowns, extra hard peaks
    170x12, 170x8, 170x8

Doing a little for biceps here and will do more later in the week. Same volume, less at once.

Concentration Curls
    35x10, 35x10

140x20, 160x15

Thank you sir! I felt I had a late start because all I knew at the time really was guys who already lifted in high school and bigger guys at the gym. But I definitely got a lot handled by mid mid-20s, more than most ever see! It's funny teaching people nowadays because I've been through so much and I don't think about any of it, so as I explain things a million ideas run through my mind at once - LOL. I did that w/my friend who visited earlier in the month, I kept giving him these awesome tips but they're so advanced I had to back and off and make sure he was understanding proper, badass basics. Meanwhile, another dude I met through my new gym is a seasoned lifer, and I just got him amped a few weeks ago with a simple tip on a tricep exercise while we did a couple sets together.
    Yes ... your outline is very succinct and it amazes me how many people who are supposed to be 'trainers' have no idea, or are confused because there is so much bad information out there. It's also nice to be able to help others and receive good advice and tips in return

Here's probably the best non-violent story about stupid young kids...this little pipsqueak was in my face and I swear I could have taken half his team. Obviously I wasn't going to do anything to him unless he made me, but I gave him a shove and said to GTFOH. We both go to the box (late in the game) and he squirts me with water and runs away to the locker room. I laughed because of how oblivious this ****ing idiot must be. I got half-undressed, shirtless of course, and went right over to his room. On my way his teammates were coming up to me to make sure I knew *they* didn't have a problem with me. Walked in and told him to shake my hand or I'd kick his ass right in front of all his friends. He did, which is good, because I would have felt horrible "starting it". I probably would have just launched him into the corner and left it at that, though. I'm known for doing that at metal concerts in the pit, people get out of hand so I give treat 'em like a sled and bulldoze them through the air when I have to.
    Ha ... you probably weighed 50lbs more than him so he didn't have much choice

Seated Calf Raise
    120xF - 3 sets, varying tempos, SS w/toe stands

Donkey Calf Raise
    40, 40

Single leg Donkey Calf
    15, 15 each
    So do you do calf work for balance or is that helpful for the skating? I'd have thought your calves would get a lot of incidental work on the ice

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Yes ... your outline is very succinct and it amazes me how many people who are supposed to be 'trainers' have no idea, or are confused because there is so much bad information out there. It's also nice to be able to help others and receive good advice and tips in return
    I used to spend a lot of my extra time modding at a couple now-defunct fitness/bodybuilding boards, I really do enjoy teaching others who want to learn. I remember where I was at the time, and know how valuable it is to have someone who will do that. Anybody who will listen, I will tell them everything I can.

Ha ... you probably weighed 50lbs more than him so he didn't have much choice
    For sure, but he (as many) was very overly cocky. He told the story of how he messed with me to people whom he didn't know knew me, and they were amazed he even had the balls. They told him how lucky he was, though it's more than I'm too easy-going, a pushover to a fault, as I just assume I could wreck anybody and prefer not to even bother.

So do you do calf work for balance or is that helpful for the skating? I'd have thought your calves would get a lot of incidental work on the ice
    My calves have always been small, even as they grow they still pale in comparison to everything else. No matter what I do I just can't make them EXPLODE and catch up. They're better than ever now, but still an inch or two behind where they should be. It sucks. I don't notice any need for more calf power in my skating, though it can't hurt.

Flat BB Press
    135x15, 165x8, 185x8, 185x10

Incline BB Press
    185x6, 185x6, 185x8

Parallel Dips
    +70x8, +70x8, +70x8

Donkey Calf machine 3-second peaks and negatives
    180x8, 180x8, 180x6

Seated calf raise
    120x12, 120x12, 120x12
    SS w/Donkey off a step
    x20, +25x15, +45x12

Close Grip BB Shrugs
    225x12, 225x12, 225x15, 225x12

If you arch your back it's pretty easy to bug it with the Ab Wheel.

Hockey was brutal this week. First game, we played 8 minutes shorthanded without subs because everyone else was late. Of course it was only me and the the worst players on our team who were there so we let up 5 in that time. Once everyone showed up we started coming back but ran out of time. I was just out of gas to do much all night at that point.
    Next game, different team, best player no-shows and everyone played horribly. We SHOULD have been OK anyway, but we love to be our own worst enemy. Legs were definitely sore after those! I play again tomorrow w/team 2.
    Recreational hockey=never know what you are going to get.

Read your story about the pipsqueak, I had to laugh but thats too bad stuff like that happens. I play in an over 45 league, there almost is never any BS going on. There have been a few guys that were chippy with poor attitudes..they get asked to not come back. I subbed in once a couple of years ago in an open league for a game on a friends team and it was just too edgy, lots of attitude, "late" rubouts and penalties..a fight could break out any moment kind of feeling in the air...never played with them again.

Good work going on in here.

If I can ask, what would you consider an effective minimal arm day (and maybe some shoulder) day. I am thinking about an extra optional 4th day to get some hypertrophy happening in arms and shoulders. I dont have any idea about sets or reps

So far this is my sched

Monday: Snatches/pulls/Squats/Accessories
    Wednesdays: Bench Press, some shoulders, and once in awhile some arms stuff
    Friday: Clean and Jerk, pulls, Front Squats, Accessories

I do some sporadic conditioning, when hockey is finished I ramp the conditioning up.

Take it easy...keep your head up

Recreational hockey=never know what you are going to get.

Read your story about the pipsqueak, I had to laugh but thats too bad stuff like that happens. I play in an over 45 league, there almost is never any BS going on. There have been a few guys that were chippy with poor attitudes..they get asked to not come back. I subbed in once a couple of years ago in an open league for a game on a friends team and it was just too edgy, lots of attitude, "late" rubouts and penalties..a fight could break out any moment kind of feeling in the air...never played with them again.

Good work going on in here.

If I can ask, what would you consider an effective minimal arm day (and maybe some shoulder) day. I am thinking about an extra optional 4th day to get some hypertrophy happening in arms and shoulders. I dont have any idea about sets or reps

So far this is my sched

Monday: Snatches/pulls/Squats/Accessories
    Wednesdays: Bench Press, some shoulders, and once in awhile some arms stuff
    Friday: Clean and Jerk, pulls, Front Squats, Accessories

I do some sporadic conditioning, when hockey is finished I ramp the conditioning up.

Take it easy...keep your head up
    Thanks! I can tell my new focus in the gym has been getting me thicker, more separated, more cut up. Things are kicking ass.

I play 30+ sometimes and some of those guys are very into it. The rough stuff, fighting, etc. is rampant depending who's playing.

For a dedicated arm/shoulder day, why not try what I'm doing and see how you like it. I've come up with and tailored it all to myself of course, but it'll be a decent start if nothing else. My delts are quite good but I'd like an extra side cap, so I hit side delts directly when fresh on their own day (rear delts too, for some hopeful extra growth).

For triceps I've always found that close grip bench, at any or all angles (I used to flip flop weekly) and varying rep ranges, was a can't-miss. French Press/OH extensions, skullcrushers (I prefer inclines usually), and dips (I used to do behind-the-backs until I required 225+ worth of plates on my lap and felt like my knees were going to break).

You can take my tricep workout here, add a superset of a bicep movement after each, and see how you feel. Give it a few weeks and adjust accordingly, or see how you feel from the jump. It may be a bit much in the volume department than you want/need, so maybe work up to that too. The cable work I do is more for trying to chisel out detail and over-stress certain bellies of the muscle. Whether people still believe in that stuff or not is their choice, but I find it works. Even if it's mental, it creates results one way or another :shrug:

Thanks Stinney

Took advantage of having time to kill, eagerness to lift, and not wanting to do legs until tomorrow. Bonus calf, ab, and bicep stuff!

Single leg Donkey Calf raise, 323 tempo
    6, 6, 6

Squat Machine Calf Raise
    120x15, 120x15, 140x10, 140x10

Donkey Calf machine
    230x10, 230x10

Machine Preachers w/5-second peaks
    80x6, 80x6, 80x6

100x30, 180x12

Ab Wheel x10

Ab Wheel Plank
    SS w/Oblique jackknife x12 each side

Ab Wheel x8
    SS w/Bicycle Crunch 15 seconds
    SS w/Crunch x12
    SS w/Bicycle Crunch 15 seconds
    SS w/Ab Wheel w/5-second negatives x5
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 01-18-2018 at 08:40 PM.

RDL
    135x15, 165x8, 185x8, 185x8, 185x8

Box Squats
    165x6, 185x4, 225x4, 255x3

Seated Leg Curls
    160x12, 160x8

Was going to finish with extension burnouts, but the machine taken and wasn't worth waiting around for.

This was supposed to be part of yesterday's workout, but I split em up due to a bonus free day (no hockey as usual). The main lifts felt great, and I'm going to try to prioritize my hamstrings since I feel they're lacking compared to my hockey quads.
    Last edited by StinnerOzz; 01-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Flat Close Grip Bench
    2-board: 225x2, 245x3, 245x3

Rope Pressdowns
    90x15, 120x10, 120x10

Upright Rows
    95x10, 115x6
    125x6 SS w/Face Pulls 100x20
    125x6 SS w/Face Pulls 100x20
    125x6 SS w/Face Pulls 120x15