kim59 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell not long enough &shoulder mobility

Got my first barbell. No weight on it yet. It is 5 ft long. When I put it in the squat on my back, I felt like I needed to have a wider grip on it. My shoulders felt scrunched up. I broke my collar bone years ago and it was not set back right so I have some mobility limits in that shoulder. I don’t know if I need to get a longer, 6ft bar, do shoulder and chest stretches to loosen the area up , both , or something else. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kim59 View Post
    Got my first barbell. No weight on it yet. It is 5 ft long. When I put it in the squat on my back, I felt like I needed to have a wider grip on it. My shoulders felt scrunched up. I broke my collar bone years ago and it was not set back right so I have some mobility limits in that shoulder. I don’t know if I need to get a longer, 6ft bar, do shoulder and chest stretches to loosen the area up , both , or something else. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    How far apart are the collars on a 5' bar? Sounds like you need a longer bar. I have a 6' bar that fits in a power rack (collars are 50" apart) and I can still put 4 - 45lb plates on the sleeves of each side. If you're doing squats I 'll advise you to do them in a rack or at least squat stands with decent safeties.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, did you buy a standard or olympic bar (sleeve is 1" diameter or 2" diameter, respectively)?
    I wouldn't advice to buy a standard bar. If you have the room, start with a 7' 45lb bar & go from there.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

kim59 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do have a squat stand but not together yet. Won’t put any weights on until stand is up. Think I will get a 6ft bar

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kim59 View Post
    I do have a squat stand but not together yet. Won’t put any weights on until stand is up. Think I will get a 6ft bar
    Do you have room to use a 7' bar? If so I'd get that , you'll have a lot more options. If you have to get a 6' bar, verify it will work on your squat stands or a rack. Not all 6'bars will fit.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel