Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    jc100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice- Shoulder pain

Hi All,

I could use you some advice/a "pick me up."

Short history:

I started lifting in 2014 and slowly fell in-love with the gym. The summer of 2016 was my "peaking point" in the gym. I had gained a lot of mass, was lifting heavy and feeling great. Then, my shoulder "popped." I waited, rested but it failed to heal. I finally figured out it was my clavicle and had a clavicle excision this past May (right shoulder.) After of 3 months of pt, I was as good as new and felt great. I began lifting again and had a great 2-3 months of lifting, until something happened again in my right shoulder. So, I'm taking it easy now, but something is still wrong- I feel it.
    In addition to that, my left shoulder, now, started bothering me. I went to the surgeon and I now need my left clavicle taken care of plus a labrum repair.

It's so frustrating not being able to have a consistent 6 months of training. My shoulders feel done and i'm 26. I'm trying to do everything right and i'm getting constant setbacks. I could really use some advice from those lifting/that have experienced similar injuries. This is not a hobby; it's something I love and just as important as my work. Any advice/works of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sowilson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    See the best orthopedic surgeon you can find that specializes in shoulders and is use to working with athletes. Typically you want to see someone who is the team doctor for a professional sports team (baseball and hockey for shoulder, football for knees). Also research your Physical Therapist. Find a DPT who works with athletes. After labrum surgery it will be around 4 months before you start lifting and it will be high reps and very, very light weights. By the 8th month post op you should be lifting pretty heavy if your rehab goes OK. At a year post OP you should be better than what you were before. All of this assumes a good recovery, a good surgical team, top notch PT, and you being dedicated to your rehab.

If you need something to do before you can work on your shoulders again try sled pulls and belt squats.