tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Stuck at 62.5kg on the bench press

I’m following the vikings bare bones beginner routine in the stickies on here.

I’m gaining weight but I’m currently stuck at 62.5kg on the bench press for 3 x 7 reps. Should be aiming for 1 x 9, 2 x 8 before increasing weight as the program suggests.

I find I get to 7 reps and I just can’t push another one out. I actually nearly dropped the bar on me the other day because I was trying to push for the 8th rep which was scary.

I work out alone so don’t have a spotter. Any other suggestions? Strength is increasing on all other lifts.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You post similar threads almost weekly. Do you still look like a skeleton? If you're still very underweight, then gaining strength is going to be slow.

Do not put your life at risk by "nearly dropping the bar" on yourself. If you can't trust yourself to handle the weight, use a spotter or use dumbbells.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tpreston92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    You post similar threads almost weekly. Do you still look like a skeleton? If you're still very underweight, then gaining strength is going to be slow.

Do not put your life at risk by "nearly dropping the bar" on yourself. If you can't trust yourself to handle the weight, use a spotter or use dumbbells.
    Who are you?!

I haven’t posted on here in months.

And for your information I’m 165lbs which is normal for my stats. Ive gained nearly 20lbs since starting my bulk and increased strength vastly in all my lifts.

I’ve never looked like a skeleton either you prick! My pics are from January this year and like I said I’ve gained a lot since then.

I’m on here to seek advice on how to increase my lifts, not be insulted. If you haven’t got anything constructive to say don’t bother fella. We all have to start somewhere.
    Last edited by tpreston92; 12-07-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    post a form video
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tpreston92 View Post
    Who are you?!

I haven’t posted on here in months.

And for your information I’m 165lbs which is normal for my stats. Ive gained nearly 20lbs since starting my bulk and increased strength vastly in all my lifts.

I’ve never looked like a skeleton either you prick! My pics are from January this year and like I said I’ve gained a lot since then.

I’m on here to seek advice on how to increase my lifts, not be insulted. If you haven’t got anything constructive to say don’t bother fella. We all have to start somewhere.
    Apparently I've already negged you so much that i can't do so again

I gave you advice, did you even read my reply?

If you've increased your strength vastly, then what are you even asking? Everyone gets stuck, progress is never linear once you're past the first few months.

Apparently I've already negged you so much that i can't do so again

I gave you advice, did you even read my reply?

If you've increased your strength vastly, then what are you even asking? Everyone gets stuck, progress is never linear once you're past the first few months.
    Likewise.

And yes I did but once I got past the first part your point became invalid since you was spouting negative BS! Makes me laugh how guys can be worse than women when it comes to being a complete b***h!

It says when following the program to increase by 2.5kg on upper body lifts every week... you can’t blame me for feeling like a failure when this is no longer happening.
    Last edited by tpreston92; 12-07-2017 at 04:24 AM.

Likewise.

And yes I did but once I got past the first part your point became invalid since you was spouting negative BS! Makes me laugh how guys can be worse than women when it comes to being a complete b***h!

It says when following the program to increase by 2.5kg on upper body lifts every week...
    I think you're overreacting. In your AVI, you are very very thin, this is pretty much objective. I looked like that once i certainly struggled with benching more than 60kg odd at that stage.

Literally NO ONE except absolute beginners can add 2.5kg to upper body lifts every week. If you could do that, this time next year you would be benching 192.5kg for 7 reps. I'm relatively confident you won't bench this number in your entire life, even if you do everything absolutely perfectly for the next 50 years.

If you've been training more than 6-9 months odd, its probably time to move onto an intermediate program.

I think you're overreacting. In your AVI, you are very very thin, this is pretty much objective. I looked like that once i certainly struggled with benching more than 60kg odd at that stage.

Literally NO ONE except absolute beginners can add 2.5kg to upper body lifts every week. If you could do that, this time next year you would be benching 192.5kg for 7 reps. I'm relatively confident you won't bench this number in your entire life, even if you do everything absolutely perfectly for the next 50 years.

If you've been training more than 6-9 months odd, its probably time to move onto an intermediate program.
    That pic is from January before I started my bulk. I was around 140lbs. I’m currently at 165lbs so I am actually carrying a fair bit of fat aswell now. My shirts don’t even fit me anymore.

Surely my lifts haven’t increased enough to be moving on to an intermediate programme? My bench press started at 20kg? So that’s an increase of 42.5kg. Squat started at 40kg and now I’m up to 110kg...

That pic is from January before I started my bulk. I was around 140lbs. I’m currently at 165lbs so I am actually carrying a fair bit of fat aswell now.

Surely my lifts haven’t increased enough to be moving on to an intermediate programme? My bench press started at 20kg.
    Your bench press has more than tripled....?! Not sure how much of an increase you're looking for. But even forgetting that, if you're no longer able to progress, this is a strong indication that its time to move on to a new program or at least modify the one you're on.

As Party asked, you could also post a form video for a check on that, as form is also almost certainly at least a factor in this. Note: This is not an insult. Everyone has technique issues, everyone always has improvements to make, however slight.

Your bench press has more than tripled....?! Not sure how much of an increase you're looking for. But even forgetting that, if you're no longer able to progress, this is a strong indication that its time to move on to a new program or at least modify the one you're on.

As Party asked, you could also post a form video for a check on that, as form is also almost certainly at least a factor in this. Note: This is not an insult. Everyone has technique issues, everyone always has improvements to make, however slight.
    I’ve been told on here that 60kg ain’t good for a bench press. I’ll switch to the Vikings upper lower in the new year then as I’m currently on the full body 3 days a week. The current routine I’m on is getting boring anyway now so I’m ready for a change.

I’ve had my form checked on numerous occasions and I’m more than confident I’ve got this in check now as the movement feels more natural. I know it’s not an insult as you aren’t comparing me to a corpse...

I’ve been told on here that 60kg ain’t good for a bench press. I’ll switch the Vikings upper lower in the new year then as I’m currently on the full body 3 days a week.

I’ve had my form checked on numerous occasions and I’m more than confident I’ve got this in check now as the movement feels more natural. I know it’s not an insult...
    "Ain't good" is entirely contextual. For a 100kg competitive power-lifter its laughable. For someone who started out at 20kg not so long ago, its fine.

The (only) important thing is progression. Which will always slow over time. Your journey from 60kg to 100kg (ish) will take 2-3 times as long as 20 to 60 took, at least. Once you get to the sort of 1.25-1.5 times bodyweight range, progress will be slower still.

"Ain't good" is entirely contextual. For a 100kg competitive power-lifter its laughable. For someone who started out at 20kg not so long ago, its fine.

I know it’s different in every case but how long inbetween increases of weight to the bar would I be looking at at the moment? It’s been 2/3 weeks since I’ve increased weight on the BP. The squat is still increasing every week.

The (only) important thing is progression. Which will always slow over time. Your journey from 60kg to 100kg (ish) will take 2-3 times as long as 20 to 60 took, at least. Once you get to the sort of 1.25-1.5 times bodyweight range, progress will be slower still.

This is true. I rarely see the guys in the gym I go to bench pressing more than 70-80kg anyway. I’m lifting purely for aesthetics, I’m not planning on entering any powerlifting comps.

My squat is still increasing every week so how often would I be looking at for an increase of weight to the bar for the BP. I know every case is different but I’ve not increased on the BP for 2-3 weeks now.

This is true. I rarely see the guys in the gym I go to bench pressing more than 70-80kg anyway. I’m lifting purely for aesthetics, I’m not planning on entering any powerlifting comps.

My squat is still increasing every week so how often would I be looking after for an increase of weight to the bar for the BP. I know every case is different but I’ve not increase in the BP for 2-3 weeks now.
    Well this is why you probably need to move on to a more advanced program. Your definition of "increase" is too narrow, for anyone who's not a beginner.

If you did 3 sets of 7 with 62.5 last week, then this week you could do 3x7 then another set and get maybe 4 or 5 reps. That's an increase. Or you could do the same exact amount of reps, but feel like your technique was 30% better. That's an increase. Or you could take a deload week, then bounce back even stronger next week. Or you could rotate round to incline DB pressing and make linear progress on that for 3-6 weeks.

etc etc etc etc

Well this is why you probably need to move on to a more advanced program. Your definition of "increase" is too narrow, for anyone who's not a beginner.

I think you’re probably right. Maybe the full body workout I’m on 3 days a week is too much for me with what I’m currently lifting.

Instead of working each muscle group 3 days a week, it’s probably time to switch to the upper lower as I said so I’m only doing them twice a week.

If you did 3 sets of 7 with 62.5 last week, then this week you could do 3x7 then another set and get maybe 4 or 5 reps. That's an increase. Or you could do the same exact amount of reps, but feel like your technique was 30% better. That's an increase. Or you could take a deload week, then bounce back even stronger next week. Or you could rotate round to incline DB pressing and make linear progress on that for 3-6 weeks.

etc etc etc etc
    I think you’re probably right.

Maybe it’s time to switch to the upper lower routine so I’m working body parts less frequently therefore (hopefully) increasing intensity.

dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dalefredricks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    man look at you guys getting along now, i love this thread

If you can rely on your ability, you don't have to worry about reliability.

Talking

Originally Posted by dalefredricks View Post
    man look at you guys getting along now, i love this thread

Love usually conquers over hate eventually lol

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Are you resting enough between sets? Rest as long as you need, even 5+ minutes.
    2. Never, ever go past TECHNICAL failure (failure to perform another rep with good form as opposed to complete failure to even move the weight) on bench press.
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."