ThePhatPriest is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lifting with titanium implant in my arm

Hi All,

I had a surgery 4 months ago to fix a spiral fracture (humerus) in my left arm. The surgery involved using titanium plates to hold my fractured humerus in place so it heals straight. I had to undergo surgery because along with the spiral fracture, I had a couple of hairline fractures as well.

Before I agreed to the surgery, I asked my ortho if I would be able to go back to lifting weights again. He said, don't even think about it for at least 8-10 months when the bone would be at nearly the same strength it was before. Up until now that answer seemed satisfactory, but I've been putting more thought into it lately.

I read this article on stress shielding and have seen some horror stories online regarding people re-injuring themselves at the site of the implant. I know I won't be doing any full contact sports or anything crazy like rock climbing, but I don't want to be afraid of getting back on the bench.

I know most of you will say speak your doctor some more, I plan to do so. The general impression I get though is that if I start slow and build up, the inherent difference in material strength between the bone and the titanium plates shouldn't cause a problem.
    Attached Images

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, the only real answer is that you should listen to your doctor. And that you posted in the wrong forum.

But if you want personal experience: I had the same kind of surgery about 25 years ago, and still have the titanium plate. I lift without restrictions. Certain movements cause minor discomfort, but nothing that really holds me back. I don't think I would be up for any full contact sports, though.

I would really discourage you from doing anything that has not been fully cleared by your doctor. From what I remember, I had a final checkup one year after the surgery, and was fully cleared for all activity at that time. But it might be completely different for you. Listen to them, and ask questions if something is not entirely clear. Only professional advice will do for something like this.

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is definitely something that a doctor would be better suited to handle.
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    all the best with your recovery but definitely should be cleared by your doc before considering any weight training.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)