Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Looking for Comments on New Workout Plan

So I've been doing a lot of research this week and think I've put together a decent routine for myself since my novice gains seem to have finally slowed down a bit. Needed a four day intermediate program that I can keep under 60 min (I workout in the morning before work). Mostly looking to build strength in the powerlifts with some hypertrophy and not really gain mass (6'1", 185 is my happy place). Can't do OHP because of bicep tendinitis. 5 RM Maxes currently are 255/205/275. Progression is going to roughly try to follow the Madcow sheet and up my last set a bit weekly. Accessory lifts are roughly going to follow this pattern: Week 1 - Medium (8-10 reps), Week 2 - Volume (12-15 reps), Week 3 - Heavy (4-6 reps) and then up the weight on the next cycle. Deload everything after two of those cycles for a week. I'm generally trying to hit the accessory groups harder on their off days (so triceps on pull day, biceps on push day, etc). Thoughts?

Monday - Lower (Squat Focus)

Squats - 5x5 - 50%/65%/80%/90%/95%

Abs (Russian Twist with plate/Birddogs/V-up with plate) - Set of 24/30/15 x3

Romanian DL - 4x5 - 50%/60%/70%/80%

Calf raise - 3x10

Hack Squat - 3x8

Tuesday - Upper (Pull focus)

Bent-over Row - 5x5 - 50%/65%/80%/90%/95%

Incline Bench - 4x5 - 50%/60%/70%/80%

Abs (HS Crunch Machine + Sidebends) - 3x12

Hammer Curls + Lateral raise - 3x10

Tricep pulldowns + Lat Pulldowns - 3x10

Rear delt machine - 3x10

Thursday - Lower (Deadlift Focus)

Squats - 4x8 - 50%/60%/70%/80%

Abs (Russian Twist with plate/Birddogs/V-up with plate) - Set of 24/30/15 x3

Deadlift - 5x5 - 50%/65%/80%/90%/95% (holding at lockout on last reps of last set for grip work)

Seated Calf Raise - 3x10

Hack Squat (lighter weight than Monday but deeper reps) 3x10

Friday - Upper (Bench Focus)

Bench Press - 5x5 - 50%/65%/80%/90%/95%

Abs (HS Crunch Machine + Sidebends) - 3x12

Cable Cross - 3x10

EZ-Bar Curl + Front raise - 3x10

Decline Bench - 4x5 - 50%/60%/70%/80%

Skullcrusher + Dumbbell Row - 3x10

Chin-ups 3x8

17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You seem to have the percentages way too high.

87% of your 1Rm is generally your 5 RM. Of course it's not the exact same for everyone but it's pretty close to that.

So sets of 5 at 90-95% are simply ridiculous.

Also your lifts are pretty low so I'm guessing you have quite a bit of noob gains left to squeeze out. Also if by gaining mass you mean weight then expecting to gain strength without any weight gain is really putting yourself in a tough spot. It might also be the main reason for stalling out on your novice routine.
    Texas Method Log *https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173755621*

Program spreadsheet **https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14MPWVNPbfmfkuoTMDaGih3pbM2-KQHZuSjcJPuwVE9c/edit?usp=sharing**

FMH Crew Little Beast

Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaturongkabaht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 17mahmoods View Post
    You seem to have the percentages way too high.

87% of your 1Rm is generally your 5 RM. Of course it's not the exact same for everyone but it's pretty close to that.

So sets of 5 at 90-95% are simply ridiculous.

Also your lifts are pretty low so I'm guessing you have quite a bit of noob gains left to squeeze out. Also if by gaining mass you mean weight then expecting to gain strength without any weight gain is really putting yourself in a tough spot. It might also be the main reason for stalling out on your novice routine.
    Sorry I should have been more clear, those are 5RM, all % are based on a 5RM. 1RM is 285/235/335.

As for weight, I actually don't really care about some gain if I'm gaining strength (I can always cut later), but it's not a goal of mine and generally would prefer to stick around 185. I get about 200G of protein on workout days, but I probably barely hit 2500 most days and really need to be in the 2500-3000 range to gain weight.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    50 and 65% of your 5RM is warmup weight lol. For example, for me that's like 45 and 57.5kg on the bench. At 5 reps that's not going to be doing a whole lot. Are these intended as warmup sets and it's actually a 3x5?

Also, may I ask why you're making up your own program instead of following a properly written one?
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OK, also, too much pushing vs pulling, no overhead press variation, includes front raise which IMO is basically never necessary and kinda disorganised in general.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    50 and 65% of your 5RM is warmup weight lol. For example, for me that's like 45 and 57.5kg on the bench. At 5 reps that's not going to be doing a whole lot. Are these intended as warmup sets and it's actually a 3x5?

Also, may I ask why you're making up your own program instead of following a properly written one?
    Because I haven't been able to find one that fits my goals/schedule. It's either powerlifting programs that are very focused on the main lifts, or bodybuilding programs that seem like too much volume or time in the gym. I'm trying to throw some bastard version of both together. The % are mostly adapted from the Madcow 5x5 program. I agree it seems light for some of the early reps (example, my current WARMUP set for bench is 10 reps at 65% of my 5RM), but the point seems to be to focus on dialing in form with the early sets and do actual work in the later sets without overtraining. But I could be wrong that this is why I'm asking questions.

As for why no OHP, I want to do it badly but was specifically told to avoid that and dips due to bicep tendinitis by my orthopedist. This is also why some programs don't work for me. I agree front raise kinda sucks, this is were I was doing dumbbell OHP paired with concentration curls before I was told not to, what about replacing with face pulls?
    Last edited by Jaturongkabaht; 11-22-2017 at 02:35 PM.