Docman90 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Baseball Speed Workouts

Hey Guys I got Some Questions for you guys about speed training.

I play slow pitch softball in the summer because even though I am 26 I have not played baseball since 7th grade, which I was pretty good at batting then, and do not really know of any summer baseball leagues and do not really know how to get my batting back up to hitting 70 mph fastballs. Because I would prefer to play baseball.

But my question is about speed. I would like to know workouts that will get me to my top speed. I understand that my genetics will be the factor of the top end of my speed and I just want to get as close to that as possible. Right now I am doing P90x as I like the fact it is limited equipment with the weights I got working great. Plus I get the Tuesday conditioning with P90x Plyometrics which I do understand is not really true plyometrics but more conditioning work. I also like how Friday is a legs and back day where I can build strength in those areas.

I am almost done with the program and I am going to start it back over but what I would like to know if you guys know of any work outs that I can do for leg speed and sprinting faster? I would like to be as fast as I can be to squeeze singles into doubles and run down pop flies in the outfield. Any workouts would be greatly appreicated to help me with my sprinting to get me faster than last year.

Thank you very much for your time and effort in advance in answering this,

Peace

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ditch the P90X. Number 1 way to improve speed is to develop your posterior chain by lifting heavy. Yep, squat, deadlift, hang cleans, GHD, Reverse Hyper, and hip mobility work thrown in for good measure. If you aren't lifting heavy then look into a program like WS4SBv3, run that for 12 weeks and then add the speed template. As you get stronger then you can add in speed drills, form work, and plyometrics. Do a search into football (American Football) speed work or 100m/200m sprint training and you'll find the drills you need to do. All of that doesn't mean squat though if you can't put power into the ground and that means lift heavy sh$t.

Now, you should also work on the basic baseball running drills and work on closing out on fly balls and line drives. A lot of these drills need a friend swinging a fungo bat and a couple of dozen baseballs to get you working. You'll also need to work on running from home to 2nd base making an efficient high speed turn. For this it really helps to have a legit baseball base that you can anchor down and use to practice (and real cleats). Another good drill (instead of 20, 30, or 40 yrd sprint drills that you might do in football) is to do a 20 or 30 yard sprint (can do indoor) but instead of lining up like a sprinter, line up like you're on 1st base and want to steal 2nd. This will help develop an explosive start with a crossover step at the beginning which is unique to baseball. Another slight modification to any sprinter of football speed drill is to practice your start and speed buildup on a track turn (especially an indoor track). This will help you develop speed while leaning in a turn - which is what you're doing when running the bases.