crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

35 And Ready to Rock

Hey gang. I just turned 35 a week ago, so I guess I belong in this thread... far far away from the young studs. I'm trying to get back into shape and I'd like to solicit some advice from some folks who are similar (physically) to me.

I'm 6'2" 225 lbs. I don't really care what I weigh, but I want to be much leaner than I am now. I figure I need to drop 20-25 lbs of fat, minimum.

I've been running for a number of years now, off-and-on. I was typically running 20-25 miles a week. About 5 weeks ago I stopped all that and switched to more sprinting and a bit more lifting. I do 4-5 sprint sessions per week and 1-2 lifting sessions. A sprint session might look like 10 x 100 meters at near 100% effort. I try to switch it up from time-to-time and throw in a couple 300 meters or more 50 meters. I'll also throw in a 6 mile jog at least once a week. My weight sessions I've been limiting to upper body; curls, tricep kick-backs, shoulder exercises, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups. Keep in mind I'm doing all this in my garage with a barbell and a couple dumbbells. Whatever I'm working on I try to keep it high intensity to make good use of my time. I'm probably doing at least 3-4 hours a week of high-intensity exercise. (maybe not enough?)

My biggest problem is my calorie intake. I've gotten really good at tracking everything, except times I eat out, which I keep to a minimum. I did 1800/day for a week and felt like garbage after a couple days. Recently tried 2000/day and, again, felt like garbage. So... either 2000 calories is way too little for a guy my size, or I'm a sissy. In either case, I can't eat that little because I work with my brain and I can't work at 100% when I feel that way. Instead of starting low and working my way up, I've decided to switch gears. Today I'm going to eat 3000 calories, plus 50% of whatever my heart rate monitor says I burn during exercise. I'm going to try this for a few days and see how it goes. Would love input on this from you guys...

As for what I'm eating, I eat very few carbs... almost none. I try to keep my protein:fat ratio at 2:1. At 2000 calories that was something like 200g protein to 100g fat. I'll see what that becomes at 3000 calories.

Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Watsonm5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Glad to see you're back in the game! Go to www.Scoobysworkshop.com and tools, accurate calorie counter just to get an idea of your TDEE. Reduce accordingly. Start with 100-200 cals below and re-adjust along the way. It's all about calories in vs. out.

I think you're not eating enough quite honestly. HIIT does take it's toll so I would dial that in to 2 hours a week is plenty. Increase your carbs as well. Also a reason you feel like chit.
    FIERCE 5
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout (Thanks Kimm4)
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167871451
    https://legionathletics.com/body-recomposition/

crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) crux19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Watsonm5! When I get back to my fighting weight this time I'm not going to slack off

Originally Posted by Watsonm5 View Post
    Increase your carbs as well. Also a reason you feel like chit.
    I should have elaborated on the carb thing a little. I ate "zero carb" for nearly 5 years. I still mostly eat that way but I'm not as strict as I used to be. Zero carb is basically nothing but animal products... meat, eggs, and some dairy. I only point it out because I'm not experiencing induction flu symptoms. My body is fully keto-adapted.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    5 years zero carb, now fully keto adapted, and still carrying 25#s of extra fat.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for ya'.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    5 years zero carb, now fully keto adapted, and still carrying 25#s of extra fat.

Sorry, I don't have any advice for ya'.

Good luck.
    Thanks anyway.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by crux19 View Post
    Hey gang. I just turned 35 a week ago, so I guess I belong in this thread... far far away from the young studs. I'm trying to get back into shape and I'd like to solicit some advice from some folks who are similar (physically) to me.

I'm 6'2" 225 lbs. I don't really care what I weigh, but I want to be much leaner than I am now. I figure I need to drop 20-25 lbs of fat, minimum.

I've been running for a number of years now, off-and-on. I was typically running 20-25 miles a week. About 5 weeks ago I stopped all that and switched to more sprinting and a bit more lifting. I do 4-5 sprint sessions per week and 1-2 lifting sessions. A sprint session might look like 10 x 100 meters at near 100% effort. I try to switch it up from time-to-time and throw in a couple 300 meters or more 50 meters. I'll also throw in a 6 mile jog at least once a week. My weight sessions I've been limiting to upper body; curls, tricep kick-backs, shoulder exercises, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups. Keep in mind I'm doing all this in my garage with a barbell and a couple dumbbells. Whatever I'm working on I try to keep it high intensity to make good use of my time. I'm probably doing at least 3-4 hours a week of high-intensity exercise. (maybe not enough?)

My biggest problem is my calorie intake. I've gotten really good at tracking everything, except times I eat out, which I keep to a minimum. I did 1800/day for a week and felt like garbage after a couple days. Recently tried 2000/day and, again, felt like garbage. So... either 2000 calories is way too little for a guy my size, or I'm a sissy. In either case, I can't eat that little because I work with my brain and I can't work at 100% when I feel that way. Instead of starting low and working my way up, I've decided to switch gears. Today I'm going to eat 3000 calories, plus 50% of whatever my heart rate monitor says I burn during exercise. I'm going to try this for a few days and see how it goes. Would love input on this from you guys...

As for what I'm eating, I eat very few carbs... almost none. I try to keep my protein:fat ratio at 2:1. At 2000 calories that was something like 200g protein to 100g fat. I'll see what that becomes at 3000 calories.
    There is so much wrong with ^^^^ this that I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious.

I'll simply refer you to the information found in the links posted in this thread, and suggest you start over again:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=168581133
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) banjoman23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah man, if you're actually eating almost no carbs and fully keto adapted, while at 6'2" 225 lbs with ~20-25 lbs extra fat, while consuming only 2000 calories daily and doing lots of running, something's way off.

Edit: Always knew you were a wizard Bill.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169283793

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    There is so much wrong with ^^^^ this that I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious.
    ]
    I'm not trolling here. What exactly is wrong with my post? Did I break some of the forum rules or something?

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm not trolling here. What exactly is wrong with my post? Did I break some of the forum rules or something?
    Not forum rules, but you've broken about every rule of good nutrition.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What exactly is wrong with my post?
    "High intensity dumbell kickbacks"

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    At 6'2, 225lbs and 1800 calories you would be loosing weight. The feeling of low energy would indicate a calorie intake that is low and supports weight reduction. Going to 3000 plus calories is just going to add weight (mostly fat). Not sure what detail we are missing or what else to say.