robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Muscle memory regarding fat loss while rebuilding "old muscle".

So I'm 29 6ft tall, about 210 pounds and have been consistently or uh inconsistently lifting weights for about 10 years. Without calculating bf percentages, I can only verify that my body composition has fluctuated drastically over the years, lightest I've been was 170 pounds lean and up to 235 pounds fat and everything in between. The strongest I've ever been was around the 190-200 pound mark, I had some decent muscle mass and a little bit of a belly.

None of that really means anything I guess. I just wanted to show I'm not a beginner when it comes to wanting to lose weight.

When I wanted to lose weight fast, I'd do HIIT and lift weights 5+ days a week, although the weight came off fast, so did my muscle, my will to live and it didn't take long until I'd get pains or injuries that would hinder progress.

The question that I had is that if one had already built muscle in the past wanted to lose some body fat while rebuilding lost muscle, is it possible with muscle memory?

And this is also assuming that person is consuming enough protein and is in a slight calorie deficit as well and consistently lifting heavy/maintaining strength.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Calorie deficit inhibits repair and ultimately growth, just expect the noob gains and then progress crashing to a halt until you get out of the deficit. The growth is accelerated though (not going to get into the science). Protein is not important, the deficit is however.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10) robmasterflex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    Calorie deficit inhibits repair and ultimately growth, just expect the noob gains and then progress crashing to a halt until you get out of the deficit. The growth is accelerated though (not going to get into the science). Protein is not important, the deficit is however.
    Thanks for the reply

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    He nailed it really. Old muscle comes back much faster than noob gains; however, there are numerous factors, none of which you can really control other than diet. How big you were before, how long it's been...etc. Can't change that stuff. Like he said, just lift in a deficit, expect some noob gains and a crash. lol

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    He nailed it really. Old muscle comes back much faster than noob gains; however, there are numerous factors, none of which you can really control other than diet. How big you were before, how long it's been...etc. Can't change that stuff. Like he said, just lift in a deficit, expect some noob gains and a crash. lol
    Alright thanks. I'd want to lose a little bit of fat before actively trying to put on muscle because it feels like being a fat guy with some extra strength and muscle is still just being a fat guy

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by robmasterflex View Post
    Alright thanks. I'd want to lose a little bit of fat before actively trying to put on muscle because it feels like being a fat guy with some extra strength and muscle is still just being a fat guy
    You really need to lift when losing fat brother. This is the only way to prioritize fat...otherwise you'll lose fat and muscle which is always just terrible.

I'd run a low volume strength routine and run a 500 cal deficit. That's what I did last time...12 weeks

Spoiler!

[QUOTE=davisj3537;1523081721]You really need to lift when losing fat brother. This is the only way to prioritize fat...otherwise you'll lose fat and muscle which is always just terrible.

I'd run a low volume strength routine and run a 500 cal deficit. That's what I did last time...12 weeks

Again, thanks for the reply.

When I said actively trying to put on muscle, I meant being in a surplus.

I plan on lifting about 4-5 days a week as I have been as of late and doing low-medium intensity cardio for about 30 minutes maybe 3x a week.

Only thing I plan to change is the food.

Whether I lose a good amount of fat or not, I'd like to at least maintain most of my current strength/muscle mass.

What did you mean by low volume strength routine?

Something like day 1 squats - 3x5, bench - 3x5, row -3x5?

And congrats on the progress btw!
    Last edited by robmasterflex; 10-18-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: congrats

Originally Posted by robmasterflex View Post

I plan on lifting about 4-5 days a week as I have been as of late and doing low-medium intensity cardio for about 30 minutes maybe 3x a week.

Whether I lose a good amount of fat or not, I'd like to at least maintain most of my current strength/muscle mass.

Starting strength is a stellar example of what you could do. I ran Fierce 5 when I did that last year. I had a few modifications for injuries, but programming doesn't need to be complex and full of arm days and nonsense. Get in and do the main lifts heavy. Then do your cardio.

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    [QUOTE=robmasterflex;1523082631]
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    You really need to lift when losing fat brother. This is the only way to prioritize fat...otherwise you'll lose fat and muscle which is always just terrible.

I would personally lift 3x a week coming back, not because of thats what i did when coming back after an injury, but because eventually when lifting the same weight its repetitious (no pun intended) and you can reduce total workload a lot when you stall out.
    When i started lifting in 2010 my squat ended at like 225 or 230, i dont remember. After returning i got to 280 while in starting over in a deficit, and from reading others stories, your starting point is a LOT higher. Even the rate at which i was adding to the bar was stupidly fast, maybe because i was smarter too.
    Im not familiar with the other programs out there but low volume low rep stuff will get you to where you want to start off once again without killing yourself since you are a noobie again and will respond fast anyhow.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100) ray98 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Muscle memory plays a big role, and you can gain it back quickly