Jarrad40 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Meals without meat or chicken.

Hey guys, I'm really in need of a lifestyle change and hitting 40 in 2 days has really hit home. I am am alcoholic who left rehab after 60 days in March, still clean so that's a start. I also have severe psoriasis which combined with my horrible pot gut has me getting quite depressed. Now I'm starting from scratch with training and need a few diet tips. I don't eat red meat or chicken ( love fish ) as both meats are not got for inflammation which is the main cause of psoriasis ,as well as starch, sugar, salt etc. I love beans, veggies, eggs as well as tuna and sardines. I'm not fussed about eating the same stuff daily as I'm easily pleased. Are these food groups enough for me to gain muscle. I don't necessarily want to loose my weight just build muscle and start feeling good about myself. Also what do I eat before and after work outs ?
    Thank you in advance

Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jarrad40 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm really in need of a lifestyle change and hitting 40 in 2 days has really hit home. I am am alcoholic who left rehab after 60 days in March, still clean so that's a start. I also have severe psoriasis which combined with my horrible pot gut has me getting quite depressed. Now I'm starting from scratch with training and need a few diet tips. I don't eat red meat or chicken ( love fish ) as both meats are not got for inflammation which is the main cause of psoriasis ,as well as starch, sugar, salt etc. I love beans, veggies, eggs as well as tuna and sardines. I'm not fussed about eating the same stuff daily as I'm easily pleased. Are these food groups enough for me to gain muscle. I don't necessarily want to loose my weight just build muscle and start feeling good about myself. Also what do I eat before and after work outs ?
    Thank you in advance
    Well done going to rehab and staying clean. I know how tough it is especially after you come out so well done.

Where did you hear eating meat exacerbates psoriasis? I can't find anything backing that up. Don't worry too much about what to eat before and after working out. As long as you're eating right throughout the day, meal timings have very little effect.

Originally Posted by Seanbroadie View Post
    Well done going to rehab and staying clean. I know how tough it is especially after you come out so well done.

Where did you hear eating meat exacerbates psoriasis? I can't find anything backing that up. Don't worry too much about what to eat before and after working out. As long as you're eating right throughout the day, meal timings have very little effect.
    Thanks mate
    Turns out chicken is fine but red meats contains a polyunsaturated fat called arachidonic acid. A type of fat that can worsen psoriasis symptoms because it can easily be converted into inflammatory compounds ? I'm just google looking though, comes up a lot, same as dairy.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Moving your thread to the regular 'nutrition' forum, where you have a better chance to get more advice.

Good luck; keep fighting.

A day from now, a week from now, a month from now, a year from now, ten years from now, you'll be really glad you did.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 10-18-2017 at 08:53 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10) dymastaj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jarrad40 View Post
    Thank you in advance
    Good work recovering man. Keep it up, your body appreciates it. Beans, veggies, eggs, tuna, sardines, are all good foods for sure. If you want to gain muscle, you'll need to have a caloric surplus, or possibly maintenance with noob gains etc. and some muscle stimulation like lifting weights. You'll want to keep any eye on your protein and fat minimums(0.8g/lb and 0.4g/lb respectively), then other than that just eat basically whatever you want. Healthful whole foods will naturally provide better micronutrients and keep you satiated. Sticky has tonnes of info and more detail. As previously noted, meal timing has little effect and at this stage, just eat enough healthful food. If you're lacking protein, whey protein might be an option, but adding a couple hardboiled eggs around the day should do the trick.

tl:dr Read the stickies in this "Nutrition" forum for solid information.

Thanks guys, been reading stickies and have learnt heaps so far. Great community