CBrien35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Essential Amino supplementation

Hello everyone,

I need opinions on Amino acid supplements. I have read and heard that they are a waste of money and you get everything you need from food. I have read other articles that say they help when on a cut. I am currently on a cut and my trainer recommended that I take the essential amino supplement to prevent muscle loss. I have been taking them for a month now. They do seem to give me energy when I'm working out. No caffeine in my brand either. What does everyone think?

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    EAAs are not a very good source of energy. What you're experiencing is likely placebo or you're drinking more water and are now better hydrated.

They have some value, assuming you're taking in at least 10g, but they're not necessary by any means. If you're eating enough protein and aren't cutting too aggressively, then you probably don't need to worry about muscle loss.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    EAAs are not a very good source of energy. What you're experiencing is likely placebo or you're drinking more water and are now better hydrated.

They have some value, assuming you're taking in at least 10g, but they're not necessary by any means. If you're eating enough protein and aren't cutting too aggressively, then you probably don't need to worry about muscle loss.
    Thanks. Yes the amount is 10g per serving that I mix with 24 ounces of water. I am getting enough protein and the cut was about 200 calories below maintenance for the first month then upped to 100 cals below maintenance for the second month. Now my trainer has me eating at TDEE and has increased carbs.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I don't use them. I've used them in the past when dieting down for comps but never noticed a difference.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by CBrien35 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I need opinions on Amino acid supplements. I have read and heard that they are a waste of money and you get everything you need from food. I have read other articles that say they help when on a cut. I am currently on a cut and my trainer recommended that I take the essential amino supplement to prevent muscle loss. I have been taking them for a month now. They do seem to give me energy when I'm working out. No caffeine in my brand either. What does everyone think?
    If you are already taking in your daily requirement of protein each day (min .7gms per pound of body weight) from food sources (which would include good-quality whey or casein protein powder), you're already getting all the BCAAs you need.

There is no existing clinical study data to support the idea that BCAA supplementation does anything beneficial if, as above, you're already getting adequate protein. Tell your 'trainer' to provide you with a citation that shows how they 'help' during a cut; since he/she made the statement the burden of proof will be on him/her to deliver.

As mentioned above, with some people, the placebo effect can be strong, especially when those peoples' money has already been spent. We wouldn't want to think we've been duped into spending our $$$ on something that does nothing.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

OK but since I already bought the supplement I might as well continue using it so I don't waste my money. When it's done I can evaluate whether I want to buy more or not.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

BCAAs v.s. EAAs

Originally Posted by CBrien35 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I feel BCAAs are a little better based on the literature I have read thus far. Im not a huge fan of caffeine in general either.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class