alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Hurt left wrist...support?

Hey all,
    Let's set aside all the gay comments, not motivated to succeed, and b.s. because its a glove or wrist wrap post.

Here's my deal
    Age 41
    Height 5'9"
    Body fat: about 15% now
    I had finished a cut from 173.5 to 150 from Feb to August. Finally got in 1/2 decent shape, unfortunately, waited until age 41.

Started my bulk.

I was doing quite well for having just started lifting at age 41. I was going 4x/week, upper/lower split.

Of course, hurt my left wrist.
    I don't doubt it was due to maybe amount I was lifting and poor technique.

Now, pissed, because I have been out about 1.5 weeks. Hoping to get back in to gym soon.

I really think I would benefit from some type of glove and wrist support.

Wrists are only 6.5".

Any recommendations.

I also could use recommendations on lifting.

I guess I am freaking a bit that I will need to lower all my weights to ensure I am keeping my wrist straight, but that if I lower my weight, my ability to put some size on my skinny 13" arms is never going to happen.

Appreciate any feedback for a 41 year old trying to get some hypertrophy but having some wrist issues.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why would you take time off? If you are going to a commercial gym there should be a bazillion machines you can use where your wrist can rest in your lap.

You should be able to deadlift and squat regardless of your wrist issues. For bench press, wrist wraps may be helpful, depending upon the poundage your pressing. For other lifts, you need to use proper form instead of wrapping.

Even though this is the equipment forum, I would not use either gloves or wraps. Gloves will do nothing to support your wrist. You need to use wraps if you want to force your wrist straight. You should first focus on strengthening your grip, which will strengthen your wrist, too.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alewisdvm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why off?
    Just don't know level of concern and if any pulling or bending of wrist will exacerbate it.

Yes. Machines. Would be worthwhile to take advantage.

Regarding gloves. Don't your palms really callus bad without?

I know of basic wrist stretches.
    What would be good worthwhile exercises that can actually increase grip and improve wrist strength?

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    Why off?
    Just don't know level of concern and if any pulling or bending of wrist will exacerbate it.

Yes. Machines. Would be worthwhile to take advantage.

Regarding gloves. Don't your palms really callus bad without?

I know of basic wrist stretches.
    What would be good worthwhile exercises that can actually increase grip and improve wrist strength?
    Have you seen a doctor? If so, follow his instructions. If not and your wrists are just sore or painful, it would be best to not bend your wrist while holding a weight. Weights hanging from your arms should not be a problem because there is no force causing your wrist to bend. Remember the general rule: if it hurts while you are doing it, don't do it.

Regardless, you can still use machines that do not require you to use your wrists.

Calluses should never be a problem:

There is a big difference between stretches and strengthening. You need to strengthen.

An easy way to strengthen your forearm and grip is to grab something heavy and hold it as long as you can. Farmers walks are good. Holding the bar at the top position of a deadlift for as long as you can is a good one. Hanging from a pullup bar works, too. Don't bother using a squeeze gripper like you buy at the sporting goods stores.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sm1ke is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Like Tally said, strengthen your grip, and revisit your form. My wrists also used to get pretty sore after doing presses, but it went away almost immediately after holding the dumbbell/barbell a little differently.

If you need to, use wrist wraps to force your wrists to stay straight during your last working sets, but don't rely on them. Make sure you're eating enough, and be patient with the muscle growth. We aren't 15 anymore, it's going to take some time to build that mass.
    ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▇

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I see that you are 41 now, and that you just started lifting at age 41......so it appears that you haven't been doing this very long.

Why are you cutting/bulking right now? You are a beginner who needs to focus on building strength.

Also, why are you doing upper/lower splits? Have you already outgrown a proven novice program like Starting Strength?

I think you probably want to revisit your programming. I think a lot of guys start out thinking that they need to do all of this stuff in their programs, when what they really need is a good beginner program to focus on the basic lifts and get strong. The other stuff can come later. I'm not trying to rip you to shreds, I mean this constructively. Your program should consist of the following movements almost exclusively: squats, deadlifts, flat bench press, overhead press, bb row, pullups, and maybe power cleans.

Also, I agree that there is no need for gloves unless you have an open cut that needs to be covered.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

Some good advice here.
    Regarding a basic program.
    The upper/lower split I am doing does incorporate:
    Deadlifts, although I mix in RDLs as well.
    Bench Press
    BB rows
    Squats

I can't overhead anything with weight above head. Had 5 shoulder dislocations prior to 2000.
    I did have arthroscopic stabilization but after one of the dislocations was from military press, I am just not stupid enough to try anything overhead again. For same reason, hanging for pullups, I have to take a pass.

The initial cut was to feel good about myself. I was at about 23% body fat and not happy overall. So, I did elect to cut first.

With skinny arms, I really wanted to put some muscle on.
    I did work hard at working out during 6 month cut to keep up strength, but really wanted to focus on some hypertrophy overall.

The pain is mostly on the ulnar side and when I do a radial displacement stretch. So, in wrist behind pinky side.
    I think doing cable crunches with rope and smashing my pinky didn't help the situation either.

I think I might still wear gloves but not because of wrist wraps. I really need something to remind me to focus on form and keep that damn wrist straight.

Watched a good video on how to hold bar (get in to position) for bench press, that might help as well.