grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Grouchy's Keto Log

I've been contemplating this for a while and decided to make the transition to try a ketogenic diet for the next 12 weeks. It'll be a standard keto diet for the first month or so, then I might try a one day a week higher carb day (more like a cyclical keto diet) to see how I feel.

Reason for going keto - I tend to do much better on a lower carb diet to begin with, and due to a family history of celiac disease and other factors experimenting with a ketogenic diet seems like a good approach. When I stick to higher carbs I tend to have some GI issues (heartburn and frequent #2). Peter Attia's research and some of my own independent research has made me decide this might be optimal for me and to give it some dedicated focus. I also think it will compliment my personal goals as well (see next paragraph).

Exercise routine - I'm going to be looking at 14 workouts over 21 days, so essentially 4-5 times a week. These will range from basic strength training sessions to sprints to ruck marches and the occasional moderate boxing skill session. There will be some strength-endurance days as well (usually combined with a ruck march of some kind). My overall goal is getting stronger and better conditioned for GORUCK events (have done several, just finished a Tough over the weekend, and have more Toughs lined up next year before my first Heavy in August). These events tend to be long (12 hours for the one I just did) with lots of ruck marching, physical training, and heavy carries. I think a ketogenic diet could be beneficial to this type of event provided my body agrees with it, hence my attempt to give it a go when I have no serious events planned for the next several months. I'm on a recovery week this week, so no major PT planned except for a 13 mile ruck march on Saturday.

20171002:
    (Breakfast) "Fat Shake" for breakfast. 8oz heavy whipping cream, 8oz sugar free almond milk, scoop of sugar free chocolate whey protein, and three strawberries. Black coffee as well, as it's essential to life.

(Snack) 4oz summer sausage, 4oz jalapeno havarti cheese. This will probably be split between two snack periods throughout the day.

(Lunch) 6oz grilled salmon, homemade avocado salad (avocados, grape tomatoes, sweet onion, cilantro, lime juice), a few tbsp of olive oil thrown on top.

(Dinner) Being that I'm trying not to be a total pain in the you-know-what, I told my wife to cook our dinners as normal and I would adapt around. Tonight was taco salad, so I just skipped the chips, threw in a bunch of extra lettuce and cheese, and topped it off with some black olives. Total carbs for the day was 42g.

Overall goal throughout the day is 2870 kcal for now, will adjust as my weight changes. I weigh in daily and then at the end of the week divide by 7 to get my overall weight loss/gain for the week. Goal is to stay at maintenance but I'm sure there will be some changes.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 10-03-2017 at 03:42 AM.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    20171003:
    (Breakfast) Four eggs over easy with sour cream and cheese on top, plus four slices of bacon.

(Snacks) Snack #1 is 4oz sausage and chilled black tea (unsweetened). Snack #2 is four short celery sticks with 4 tbsp of almond butter.

(Lunch) 6oz London broil with California medley vegetables, with a few tbsp of EVOO on top.

(Dinner) BBQ chicken bowls for the family. I'll be just having the chicken (wife got some delicious low-carb BBQ sauce) and the broc**** (why do they blur this out). I made twice the amount of broc**** and dumped some extra virgin olive oil on top to get some additional fats. Total carbs for the day was 47g.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 10-04-2017 at 03:47 AM.

20171004:
    (Breakfast) Fat Shake (this time with some blueberries), black coffee.

(Snacks) #1 is 4oz summer sausage and 4oz Swiss cheese. The second one is two tbsp of almond butter on celery sticks.

(Lunch) 7oz grilled salmon over a large garden salad with some parmesan cheese, a few grape tomatoes, and a few tbsp of olive oil dumped over top.

(Dinner) Pork chops with sriracha sauce and some cauliflower slices. Not that hungry to be honest as my lunch break was late at work. After our Bible study group tonight I'll have my second snack before bed.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 10-04-2017 at 02:52 PM.

20171005:
    (Breakfast) Four hardboiled eggs, three pieces of bacon, little smoothie (6oz almond milk, 6oz chilled coffee, 2 tbsp almond butter - not bad).

(Snacks) Snack #1 is 2oz sausage and 2oz havarti cheese. Snack #2 was a Fat Shake and some slices of salami rolled around mozarella cheese. A bit extra as I work until 4am Thursday nights.

(Dinner) Dine out buffet with the family. I had a big pile of taco meat (~8oz) on lettuce with sour cream and cheddar cheese with unsweetened tea. Total carbs 50g.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 10-05-2017 at 11:33 PM.

20171006:
    (Breakfast) Four cooked eggs, four slices of bacon, sour cream and Sriracha on eggs.

(Snacks) Just some coffee with heavy cream today.

(Lunch) 6oz ham with horseradish sauce, avocado salad, olive oil.

(Dinner) 8oz London Broil, fat shake. Carbs 46g.

20171007:
    (Breakfast) Fat Shake and a 1/4 cup of almonds before a 10 mile hike with a weighted backpack.

(Snack) Son of Baconator, no bun. Sexy.

(Lunch) 4oz sausage, 4oz havarti cheese.

(Dinner) Steak salad, cheese, hard boiled eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar dressing. Carbs 37g.

(WORKOUT NOTES) The hike was pretty rough, although not sure if due to diet or still some residual fatigue. Did some calisthenics with the ruck later and performed well.

20171008:
    (Breakfast) Four pieces of breakfast sausage, scoop of whey protein in 16oz almond milk plus a scoop of natural (no sugar added) dark cocoa powder.

(Snacks) #1 was four hard boiled eggs and 1/4 cup of almonds. Second snack was 4 tbsp almond butter on celery sticks.

(Lunch) Almost 7oz of grilled chicken over a garden salad, sprinkled with parmesan cheese and a few tbsp of olive oil as dressing.

(Dinner) Ground turkey, cauliflower, and broc bake with olive oil on top.

(WORKOUT NOTES) Off day today, just some mobility work/ROMWOD later.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 10-09-2017 at 04:19 AM.

20171009:
    (Breakfast) 4 cooked eggs, 4 pieces of thick bacon, sour cream and sriracha thrown on eggs.

(Snacks) 4oz beef sausage, 4oz pepperjack cheese, and 2 tbsp almond butter on celery sticks.

(Lunch) 75% beef on top of a big spring salad mix, with grape tomatoes and a homemade dressing.

(Dinner)

(WORKOUT) Strength training in AM, core work in PM.

Still going. Saw a fairly significant drop in weight the first week (-5.5 pounds) despite eating almost 400 calories more than before. Definitely surprising. Diet today was basically the same as yesterday. Workout was 600m sprints yesterday.

20171011:
    (Breakfast) Fat Shake, coffee.

(Snack) 2oz summer sausage, 2oz pepper jack cheese.

(Lunch) 8oz ground meat cooked in heavy cream and mixed with California medley. Needs cheese/seasoning but pretty good.

(Dinner) Spaghetti squash with a meat sauce.

(WORKOUT) Strength training in AM, core work in PM.

Still sticking to a ketogenic diet for the most part. Had a few higher carb days due to life, but that's just how it is.

To date I have lost just over 6 pounds and should be breaking 190 here soon. I weigh myself daily, then divide by 7 at the end of the week to determine my average weight for the week. The other big benefit I have noticed is I have a much better control of my hunger lately - before, I'd be ravenous after about 3-4 hours. Due to an emergency at work the other day, I went almost 9 hours between meals and I felt fine. Workouts have also been fine - Saturday I did a 4 mile ruck march followed by lots of kettlebell clean and jerks and had plenty of energy for both.

Honestly keeping it pretty simple diet-wise. Breakfast is either my fat shake, or a breakfast bowl I make (eggs, bacon/sausage, cheese, sour cream, sriracha). Lunch is usually some kind of fatty meat over a salad mix with a few veggies and oil and vinegar over top (if a leaner cut of meat, I'll add some extra olive oil). For dinner I'll typically eat the meat of the meal and have some veggies. Wife has gotten on board with me a bit and has made some meals that have helped - e.g. dish typically served over rice, she just keeps them separate for me. Ate out Saturday and had their deluxe steak salad and just poured oil all over it. Still trying to track my macronutrients accurately.