hj9231 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Keto for building muscle

I've only been on keto for 2 weeks now (enjoying it so far) has anyone tried it for longer? How has your gains been?

Pifarka is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was on it for 2 months , but i lost weight like 10 pounds , i think its not that healthy for longer run .

ShantanuJ5648 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hj9231 View Post
    I've only been on keto for 2 weeks now (enjoying it so far) has anyone tried it for longer? How has your gains been?
    I have been on keto since about 3 months. Keto can be specific to your needs. If you are looking for just weight loss, do the SKD. Primary protocol---extreme low carbs, moderate protein, high fats.
    I was on skd for 1.5 months. Lost good amount of fat. Note: WHen is SKD, do not expect to put on muscle mass. You will be disappointed.

After 1.5 months, I was satisfied with the fat loss but now wanted to pack on some muscle. The only tweeking I did to my diet was adding in few carbs around and during my workout. Changed my workout routine, which earlier was more of strength training and hiit, to the new workout of individual body parts per day and HIIT/Strength training once a week. This kind of diet is nothing but the TKD (Targeted Keto Diet)

Because its simple, mucles require glycogen. Placing few carbs just around workout will keep you in ketosis and will also provide glycogen from muscle growth. Along with protein of course for the wear and tear. The amount of carbs you place around your workout is majorly based on your muscle mass, your workout intensity and a little bit of experimenting.

All the best!

Maqqie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am new to dieting and all this stuff (keto now for 4 days). A guy on youtube said you can restore muscle glycogen levels by having 1 - 2 cheat days a week. I've read differing opinions. Some say eat carbs around your work outs, whilst others have said dedicate a day to eat carbs. Confusing.

JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500)
    zero refeeds zero carbs 3.5 years..
    Staying below 9% BF Year Round
    Ketosis Since - August / 14 / 2015
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day
    No Longer Doing Social Media Or Roaming Forums Often
    Display Picture Old And Not Up To Date
    New Instagram Not posting much as this time J.Banaitis

JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500)
    2.5**
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day

ShantanuJ5648 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Maqqie View Post
    I am new to dieting and all this stuff (keto now for 4 days). A guy on youtube said you can restore muscle glycogen levels by having 1 - 2 cheat days a week. I've read differing opinions. Some say eat carbs around your work outs, whilst others have said dedicate a day to eat carbs. Confusing.
    If you plan to do 1-2 days of carbs refeeds, you will require to have lesser carbs per day. For example, if you plan to have 200gms of carbs, you will need to have 100gms carbs on day 1 and 100gms carbs on day two. The problem is, if you do carb refeeds for 2 days, it is easy to overdo the refeed, which is bad. Personally, I like to go all out on 1 day where 1 day i eat around 80% calorie intake from carbs.

Carbs around your workout = Targeted Keto or TKD. But this is a later phase once you have nicely adapted to SKD (the normal keto diet)

My suggestion would be to do a carb refeed only if you feel the loss in your strength in the gym OR just pick 1 day in 15 days where you have have your fav pan cakes or something that you have been craving. Just a meal tho..not a full day of it. Give it atleast few months to get keto-adapted. Then later you may think about TKD.

Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Liljet has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ShantanuJ5648 View Post
    I have been on keto since about 3 months. Keto can be specific to your needs. If you are looking for just weight loss, do the SKD. Primary protocol---extreme low carbs, moderate protein, high fats.
    I was on skd for 1.5 months. Lost good amount of fat. Note: WHen is SKD, do not expect to put on muscle mass. You will be disappointed.

After 1.5 months, I was satisfied with the fat loss but now wanted to pack on some muscle. The only tweeking I did to my diet was adding in few carbs around and during my workout. Changed my workout routine, which earlier was more of strength training and hiit, to the new workout of individual body parts per day and HIIT/Strength training once a week. This kind of diet is nothing but the TKD (Targeted Keto Diet)

Because its simple, mucles require glycogen. Placing few carbs just around workout will keep you in ketosis and will also provide glycogen from muscle growth. Along with protein of course for the wear and tear. The amount of carbs you place around your workout is majorly based on your muscle mass, your workout intensity and a little bit of experimenting.

All the best!
    Thank you for this. On SKD for a cut, doing great. But now want to bulk but I have poor insulin sensitivity. High-carb meals will severely get me off track mentally and physically. But TKD sounds really good. Thanks for your post.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulLester99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

i have been doing low-carb diets without cheat-meals for 4 years

I have been doing keto diet for about 4 years. I read in a Youtube keto channel that people who lift heavy weights need a higher protein intake, than people doing keto diets for just weight loss

Originally Posted by hj9231 View Post

Originally Posted by PaulLester99 View Post
    I have been doing keto diet for about 4 years. I read in a Youtube keto channel that people who lift heavy weights need a higher protein intake, than people doing keto diets for just weight loss
    ''

anyone lifting weights keto or not need more protein than someone not doing any liting
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day