PixieChick1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile New to Lifting - need advice and encouragement

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of advice from you lovely ladies. I started lifting weights and doing cardio 6 months ago. My available days for working out are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, Friday. Because of this I'm doing an upper/lower split rather than full body 3 x per week. I do a 10 min warm up then around 30-45 mins weights (mostly compound movements in the 8-12 rep range) and 30 mins high intensity cardio (but not HIIT as I can't handle that and hate it) on the elliptical. I started strictly tracking my calories using My Fitness Pal (1600 cals/day) about 6 weeks ago and have lost some more weight doing that.

So I have lost 6 kg (14 pounds). I was 62 kg (137 pnd) and am now 56 kg (123 pnd). I'm 165cm (5' 5") and nearly 38 years old. 67cm waist (26 in), 90cm hips (35 in). Online calculators using my stats and measurements etc estimate my body fat at around 21% but I'm aware that it's not the most accurate way to find out your body fat.

I'm deadlifting 60 kg (130 pnd), goblet squat 20 kg kettlebell (45 pnd), Bench 20 kg (45 pnd), Standing Dumbbell Overhead Press using 6kg dumbbells (13 pnd), Seated Cable Row 54 kg (120 pnd). I have some issues with my CT joint in my spine so using the barbell on my back doesn't work too well for me at the moment. Also have a dodgy left shoulder so I'm using a neutral grip on the assisted pull up machine. My shoulder is a bit of an issue using the barbell too so that's why I'm doing goblet squats right now.

I'll put up some pictures in my bodyspace so you can see what I'm looking like. I'm confused about where to go from here. Do I keep dieting down to a lower weight for now or do I start trying to add some muscle already? My hubby says I don't need to lose any more body fat but I'm not sure. So I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Any suggestions welcome....please be gentle! LOL
    Last edited by PixieChick1; 09-17-2017 at 05:55 PM.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From your pics it looks like you sorely need to build up some muscle. Skinnyfat is the term - low in muscle high in fat.

At your height and current weight, I'd think you could stand to bulk for several months before dieting down. You could even bulk for 6 months and diet down before summer next year to a new you!

I would eat to gain around a 1/2-1 kg per month and get on a solid beginner's routine - not something that you put together yourself.

What macros are you eating? Grams of protein/carbs/fat?
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Thanks so much for your comment oregonchick76 . Yep I'm definitely skinny fat that's for sure!
    I'm in New Zealand so we have just started spring here. I was thinking of holding off on starting to bulk until fall (autumn as we say here) in March or April. But I'm not happy with my physique right now so don't think I can stand it if I just maintain this until then. But that means bulking through summer! What do you think?

I've read a lot on here (stickies etc too) so I know I need to eat at a small surplus to make some gains but oh boy it's hard to take that step!!! But I have a motto "Nothing Ever Changes if Nothing Ever Changes" so maybe I'll just have to jump in and do it.

I'm currently doing 1600 cals/day. 160g carb (40%), 120g protein (30%), 53g fat (30%)

The trainer at the gym gave me the program.

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PixieChick1 View Post
    Thanks so much for your comment oregonchick76 . Yep I'm definitely skinny fat that's for sure!
    I'm in New Zealand so we have just started spring here. I was thinking of holding off on starting to bulk until fall (autumn as we say here) in March or April. But I'm not happy with my physique right now so don't think I can stand it if I just maintain this until then. But that means bulking through summer! What do you think?

I've read a lot on here (stickies etc too) so I know I need to eat at a small surplus to make some gains but oh boy it's hard to take that step!!! But I have a motto "Nothing Ever Changes if Nothing Ever Changes" so maybe I'll just have to jump in and do it.

I'm currently doing 1600 cals/day. 160g carb (40%), 120g protein (30%), 53g fat (30%)

The trainer at the gym gave me the program.
    At the rate you are bulking I would not be afraid to bulk through summer! And your macros look good.
    Sounds like your program is probably adequate!

OK thanks!

Couple other questions: Should I halve my cardio if I want to bulk now? Also, should I eat back the calories I burn working out? My fitness pal always gives me extra calories on days I exercise. Makes sense to me to eat them but wondered if that's what you guys all do.

Thanks again.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OK thanks!

Couple other questions: Should I halve my cardio if I want to bulk now? Also, should I eat back the calories I burn working out? My fitness pal always gives me extra calories on days I exercise. Makes sense to me to eat them but wondered if that's what you guys all do.

Thanks again.
    Do you "eat back" the calories you burn if you happen to go up the stairs an extra few times?

It makes no sense to do this. You can't hope to measure those calories accurately, you can't even hope to track the calories you're consuming with a greater than about 20% degree of precision.

You can do cardio as much as you want if its something you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it and you think its giving you some kind of aesthetic benefit, then cut out as much as you want. (There are some benefits, CV healthy etc).

Remember, a small surplus does mean small. Aiming to gain 1, at the most 2lbs a month is probably ideal. This is only about 1-200 cals over maintenance.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

Thanks for your reply. I'll eat at maintenance for the next couple of weeks (1900 cals) without eating back the exercise calories and see how I go from there adding 100 cals a day.

Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd prob say cut down your cardio (not out completely) and start using heavier weights going for 8 reps max. Make sure you're consistently moving your weights up as it gets easier. I think 5-8 reps is a good rep range when trying to go heavier. That 10-15 rep range has always been stuck in my head and I have to really think about what I'm doing to go heavy enough to max out between 5-8.

OK thanks!

Thanks again.
    Unless you have an exceptional cardio day (like I sometimes go for 10 mile hikes in the mountains), do not eat back the calories. And...cardio's purpose is to burn calories and maintain cardiovascular health. Obviously if you're bulking you don't need to burn more calories, and doing too much cardio can hinder muscle growth. But doing a little will maintain well-rounded fitness levels. I would do a *little* bit of cardio. I like some high intensity short stuff, or the low intensity longer stuff (like walking to the grocery store/leisurely bike ride). I would nix hours on the treadmill/elliptical.

Originally Posted by Legz422 View Post
    I'd prob say cut down your cardio (not out completely) and start using heavier weights going for 8 reps max. Make sure you're consistently moving your weights up as it gets easier. I think 5-8 reps is a good rep range when trying to go heavier. That 10-15 rep range has always been stuck in my head and I have to really think about what I'm doing to go heavy enough to max out between 5-8.
    Thanks for your reply. OK I'll try a lower rep range. I think with being a noob the trainer went for the 8-12 range. I'd start at 8 and once I reached 12 I'd bump the weight up.

I think I've been a bit nervous of going super heavy not for fear of getting 'bulky' but more worrying that I'd injure myself. I feel like I know what I'm doing a bit more now though.

Should I stick with 3 sets of each exercise though or add more sets?

Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Unless you have an exceptional cardio day (like I sometimes go for 10 mile hikes in the mountains), do not eat back the calories. And...cardio's purpose is to burn calories and maintain cardiovascular health. Obviously if you're bulking you don't need to burn more calories, and doing too much cardio can hinder muscle growth. But doing a little will maintain well-rounded fitness levels. I would do a *little* bit of cardio. I like some high intensity short stuff, or the low intensity longer stuff (like walking to the grocery store/leisurely bike ride). I would nix hours on the treadmill/elliptical.
    OK great thanks. I'll cut my cardio in half for now I think and see how I go with that. I do enjoy it and it gives me a buzz so I don't want to get rid of it completely. Good to know I don't have to!

Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for your reply. OK I'll try a lower rep range. I think with being a noob the trainer went for the 8-12 range. I'd start at 8 and once I reached 12 I'd bump the weight up.

I think I've been a bit nervous of going super heavy not for fear of getting 'bulky' but more worrying that I'd injure myself. I feel like I know what I'm doing a bit more now though.

Don't go so heavy you risk injuring yourself. Just enough to only be able to hit 5-8 reps max. I would assume 3 sets is good. I don't follow a specific program, so there may be others here that could give better advice on how many sets is ideal. For deadlifts I always do more than 3 sets, but for most other things I prob usually hit 3 sets. Of course, the most important thing is make sure you have good form.

Yeah, don't worry about getting bulky! Muscle grows SLOOOOOOOW. 8-12 is great for newbies, but after you get your form down, it's fine to drop to a lower rep range. Whatever rep range you are working in, you want to make sure you're maintaining good form - form goes to sh!t when we put too much pride in reaching a new max. You won't injure yourself if you take a weight that you can do for 8-12 reps, add 5 or so lbs, and do it for 5-8. If you increase in small increments, you're never working with a new weight that is way higher than once you've already done comfortably.

taylerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with the common theme from everyone else. It's important to have good form and increase weight slowly. The most important thing is being consistent.

Awesome thanks guys for your tips. I think I'm on the right track now. I did need to lose that weight but it's time to get some muscle lol.

I've been going to the gym 4 days a week religiously since the beginning of March so I'm not mucking around here. I really want to make good progress so I'm committed!

Awesome thanks guys for your tips. I think I'm on the right track now. I did need to lose that weight but it's time to get some muscle lol.

I've been going to the gym 4 days a week religiously since the beginning of March so I'm not mucking around here. I really want to make good progress so I'm committed!
    I hope all these tips help and that you see changes soon! That's the best motivation, when you see the changes in your body.

Well what an awesome workout I had today. Leg day - my favourite. It's amazing what a difference it makes working out when you're not in a deficit! So much more energy and strength. And I didn't realise how HUNGRY and ravenous the cardio was making me all the time! I didn't think I was doing a lot. 40 mins, 4 days. 10 mins warm-up cardio and 30 mins post weights. But I've noticed a big difference in cutting it down by half. It's actually been hard to reach my maintenance calories each day. I settled on 1800 cals for the next week or two as I got different recommendations from different TDEE calculators. So I though I'd err on the side of caution and start there and build up as needed.

I'm excited for what the next year brings. I was so discouraged when I saw my progress photos as I've been working hard for 6 months and I'm impatient! I know it's a long slow process to gain muscle so I felt a bit overwhelmed that I'm never going to get there. But I will.