AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000) AmandaLaughlin is just really nice. (+1000)

Best exercises to activate chest muscles?

I have a client who is having a really hard time activating her chest muscles. I've had her try variations of bench/dumbbell press, floor press, and chest flies with absolutely no luck. I'm hoping someone has some suggestions or input? Thanks!
    IG: Amandalaughlinfit
    anchorasalutis.com

Personal Trainer / Bikini Competitor / Strongman Dabbler

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    The "chest muscles", I presume you mean the pectoralis major. The pectoralis major adducts the shoulder in the transverse plane. It is also involved in shoulder extension. In other words, if the upper arm is coming towards the trunk, then the "chest muscles" are being this applies whether the person "feels it" or not, this applies whether someone tells them the muscles are "activated" or not.

Train movement, and the muscles will follow. Bench press, chinups, flyes.

Did you not learn this in PT school?

You should have a copy of this.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Stren.../9780736092265
    Last edited by KyleAaron; 09-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.

repuswow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sounds to me like your client really needs to emphasize having their shoulders back and down to allow the pecs to do the work. If the shoulders roll forward during a press or fly, they end up doing most of the work.

BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AmandaLaughlin View Post
    I have a client who is having a really hard time activating her chest muscles. I've had her try variations of bench/dumbbell press, floor press, and chest flies with absolutely no luck. I'm hoping someone has some suggestions or input? Thanks!
    How have you come to the determination that she is not activating her chest muscle (not that I don't believe but provide more details...)? Synergistic dominance is very real and often requires stretching of shortened muscles and strengthening of lengthened muscles. Does she have some type of neuropathic issue?

Like KyleAaron says ensure the humerus is adducted to at least 45 degrees, then horizontally adduct the humerus towards the chest. Ensure the scapulae are properly packed, not excessively, and you may need to use a light weight or better yet a tube. Again it really depends on the details of your exact situation...is she doing bench press successfully and just 'feels' her pecs aren't working?