Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Closed Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline

    Assistance in reducing buttocks fat- male

    Hey guys need a word of advice as I'm a 19 year old who is 75 kg at 5^8. I'm quite stocky in terms of build but recently I have started to go to the gym and have been going for 3 weeks (using Blaha's 5x5 routine), have grown a fair share of muscle on my arms and what not but what I realised is that after doing squats/deadlifts my ass grew noticeably (ass was already big so it's gone bigger)

    I'm now thinking of pursuing HIIT in order to burn overall fat as there is no such thing as spot reduction loss but what others exercises should I do in addition? Squats and deadlifts are a no for me as I've realised I don't fit into my jeans anymore after pursuing them so I doubt anyone can convince me otherwise.

    Also any advice on diet? Any good things to keep in mind eating? I'll aim to reduce junk once every two weeks to keep it realistic and go on a calorie deficit to quicken the pace of fat loss.

    Any help much much appreciated, will kick start my gym career properly if all goes well

    Cheers for reading.

  2. #2
    I'm your huckleberry! davisj3537's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Location: United States
    Posts: 19,723
    Rep Power: 1410600
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    davisj3537 is offline
    You don't have to switch routines you just need to eat less. It's actually advised NOT to switch routines. Just keep doing what you're doing, but eat enough to lose 1-2lbs per week. That will reduce butt size.

    If you stop doing leg workouts then we'll stop helping you. Sounds crazy, but it's the truth. You'll run off almost everyone.

  3. #3
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    You don't have to switch routines you just need to eat less. It's actually advised NOT to switch routines. Just keep doing what you're doing, but eat enough to lose 1-2lbs per week. That will reduce butt size.

    If you stop doing leg workouts then we'll stop helping you. Sounds crazy, but it's the truth. You'll run off almost everyone.
    I have stopped gym for about 2-3 weeks now and my diet is extremely small in comparison to what it used to be. At the moment, I scrape about 2/3 meals a day max with nothing else in between, so I'm thinking the major problem is that I'm not active at all which I'm planning to change. Hopefully I see some progress as a result.

    Yes I agree with you, I don't want any chicken legs but once I saw a correlation between doing more squats/deadlifts to an ass of a woman's, that's enough to make anyone run away from ME lol.

  4. #4
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    bump.. I can't be the only one who's had this problem..

  5. #5
    Registered User spradish's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 1,938
    Rep Power: 14006
    spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    spradish is offline
    I'll echo what davis said--you need to eat less. However, if you are truly not active at all, you should make it a point to become more active. It's generally easier to get your calorie deficit from not eating but everybody who is able should aim to maintain at least a moderate level of activity if only for general health/wellness.

    You never mentioned whether you've actually lost any weight so far with your already-reduced eating but keep in mind that starting to lift generally means you have some water retention in the beginning and that is likely what is making your pants feel tight. Again to repeat what davis said, keep up with the squats and deadlifts. They will improve your strength and physique much more than solely focusing on your butt fat.

  6. #6
    Registered User Imp81318's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Age: 35
    Posts: 520
    Rep Power: 265
    Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Imp81318 is offline
    Originally Posted by bobjohn123 View Post
    Hey guys need a word of advice as I'm a 19 year old who is 75 kg at 5^8. I'm quite stocky in terms of build but recently I have started to go to the gym and have been going for 3 weeks (using Blaha's 5x5 routine), have grown a fair share of muscle on my arms and what not but what I realised is that after doing squats/deadlifts my ass grew noticeably (ass was already big so it's gone bigger)

    I'm now thinking of pursuing HIIT in order to burn overall fat as there is no such thing as spot reduction loss but what others exercises should I do in addition? Squats and deadlifts are a no for me as I've realised I don't fit into my jeans anymore after pursuing them so I doubt anyone can convince me otherwise.

    Also any advice on diet? Any good things to keep in mind eating? I'll aim to reduce junk once every two weeks to keep it realistic and go on a calorie deficit to quicken the pace of fat loss.

    Any help much much appreciated, will kick start my gym career properly if all goes well

    Cheers for reading.
    You absolutely did not build up enough lean muscle mass to change the way your pants fit in just 3 weeks at the gym. It is possible that the exercise has caused you to retain more water as others have said, but it certainly not due to added muscle mass.
    My fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173571151

  7. #7
    I'll Mod 'til I'm dead. ironwill2008's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United States
    Posts: 80,883
    Rep Power: 1522155
    ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ironwill2008 is offline
    Originally Posted by bobjohn123 View Post
    bump.. I can't be the only one who's had this problem..
    Nope, you certainly aren't. Every single day in this particular forum, a dozen people will post threads similar to yours.




    And the advice to all of them is always the same---eat less, move more. Practically none of those people want to hear that advice either.
    No brain, no gain.

    You can't out-train bad nutrition.

    "The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

    Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388


    Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

  8. #8
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    I'll echo what davis said--you need to eat less. However, if you are truly not active at all, you should make it a point to become more active. It's generally easier to get your calorie deficit from not eating but everybody who is able should aim to maintain at least a moderate level of activity if only for general health/wellness.

    You never mentioned whether you've actually lost any weight so far with your already-reduced eating but keep in mind that starting to lift generally means you have some water retention in the beginning and that is likely what is making your pants feel tight. Again to repeat what davis said, keep up with the squats and deadlifts. They will improve your strength and physique much more than solely focusing on your butt fat.
    I havent really lost any weight because of the fact that I am not physically active (work puts me on my computer chair for 6 hours+) but the concept of "Water retention" is new to me, I have yet to hear about that and it seems that others are saying the same thing. Gonna go research in a bit to see what that actually means.

    But it is understandable to remove my butt fat first and then pursuing squats and deadlifts right? Because I know they are crucial for gains. I'm just eliminating them for the time being until i get a smaller ass.

    HIIT seems the best option for me but can I ask why people still want me to continue doing squats/deadlifts if I noticed myself that my jeans are seriously tight after performing these exercises for weeks?

    thanks for the responses!

  9. #9
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Nope, you certainly aren't. Every single day in this particular forum, a dozen people will post threads similar to yours.




    And the advice to all of them is always the same---eat less, move more. Practically none of those people want to hear that advice either.
    I have acknowledged that from my first paragraph but my actual questions were regarding good things to eat whilst on a calorie deficit and what exercises that targets specifically losing fat on the glutes.. can you read first? lol

  10. #10
    I'll Mod 'til I'm dead. ironwill2008's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: United States
    Posts: 80,883
    Rep Power: 1522155
    ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ironwill2008 is offline
    Originally Posted by bobjohn123 View Post
    I have acknowledged that from my first paragraph but my actual questions were regarding good things to eat whilst on a calorie deficit and what exercises that targets specifically losing fat on the glutes.. can you read first? lol

    I have no further advice for you. Good luck meeting your fitness goals for 2017.
    No brain, no gain.

    You can't out-train bad nutrition.

    "The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

    Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388


    Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

  11. #11
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I have no further advice for you. Good luck meeting your fitness goals for 2017.
    okay? Lol "eat less" - i say I'm going to have a calorie deficit at the start of this thread
    "move more"- I say I may pursue HIIT at the start of this thread
    actual questions- "any good exercises for the glutes" "any good t hings to eat whilst on a deficit" completely unanswered but goes on and suggests a rhetorical; "practically none of these people wanna hear it either"

    very helpful you've been

  12. #12
    Registered User mavd's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: San Diego, California, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 625
    Rep Power: 1396
    mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000)
    mavd is offline
    You absolutely can NOT target fat loss to a specific area. If you could, female bodybuilders would all have boobs still. You're only option is to eat less and move more and lose fat everywhere. If you stop doing leg and glute exercises, you will lose fat and muscle in those areas. You will end up looking like an internet meme "Never Skip Legs Day". We will all laugh at you behind your back at the gym. If you add the squads and DLs back in, you'll end up with a nice tight @$$ you can bounce a quarter off of, and we'll all check you out behind your back at the gym.

    Things to eat to lose fat: Lot's of protein (chicken, fish), a good amount of healthy fat (nut butters, avocados, etc), lots of veggies and a few servings of fruit. Keep high sugar/sodium junk food to a minimum (don't bother trying to eliminate it completely, you're more likely to binge).
    Instagram: @doctorv17

  13. #13
    Registered User Partyrocking's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: New Jersey, United States
    Posts: 18,611
    Rep Power: 80375
    Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Partyrocking has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Partyrocking is online now
    liposuction
    You can't help the hopeless.

    Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

    Best Gym lifts: 355/185/380
    Best Meet lifts: 352.7/181.6/407.8,
    Best Wilks=370.84
    USAPL Raw New Jersey Record Holder Squat, Deadlift, and Push-Pull (as of 7/30/16)
    Goals: 365/200/425

  14. #14
    Registered User Imp81318's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2017
    Age: 35
    Posts: 520
    Rep Power: 265
    Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Imp81318 is offline
    My fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173571151

  15. #15
    Registered User spradish's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2014
    Posts: 1,938
    Rep Power: 14006
    spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) spradish is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    spradish is offline
    Originally Posted by bobjohn123 View Post
    But it is understandable to remove my butt fat first and then pursuing squats and deadlifts right? Because I know they are crucial for gains. I'm just eliminating them for the time being until i get a smaller ass.

    HIIT seems the best option for me but can I ask why people still want me to continue doing squats/deadlifts if I noticed myself that my jeans are seriously tight after performing these exercises for weeks?
    You cannot target fat loss so dropping squats and deadlifts will do nothing to increase your fat loss in that area and will simply put you behind where you could be, strength and physique-wise, if you were to keep them in. Fat loss occurs when your body has a calorie deficit--it burns more calories than it takes in. When that happens, it takes the rest of the energy it needs from its fat stores. The fat stores it taps are all over your body and there is no way for you to make it choose one area or another.

    When you have water retention from starting to lift, if you are eating in a calorie deficit, you will still be burning fat. You might not see your weight going down on the scale or feel it in your clothes right away, but at a certain point the amount of fat you've burned will surpass the amount of water you are retaining and then your clothes will get looser and the scale will go down. If you stop squats and deadlifts right now and do no lifting to target those muscles, the water retention will go away, only to return again once you start again. It's better to stick with the exercises, ride it out, and benefit from doing the exercises the whole time you are working on fat loss.

  16. #16
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    You absolutely can NOT target fat loss to a specific area. If you could, female bodybuilders would all have boobs still. You're only option is to eat less and move more and lose fat everywhere. If you stop doing leg and glute exercises, you will lose fat and muscle in those areas. You will end up looking like an internet meme "Never Skip Legs Day". We will all laugh at you behind your back at the gym. If you add the squads and DLs back in, you'll end up with a nice tight @$$ you can bounce a quarter off of, and we'll all check you out behind your back at the gym.

    Things to eat to lose fat: Lot's of protein (chicken, fish), a good amount of healthy fat (nut butters, avocados, etc), lots of veggies and a few servings of fruit. Keep high sugar/sodium junk food to a minimum (don't bother trying to eliminate it completely, you're more likely to binge).
    thank you for the really informative info

  17. #17
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    You cannot target fat loss so dropping squats and deadlifts will do nothing to increase your fat loss in that area and will simply put you behind where you could be, strength and physique-wise, if you were to keep them in. Fat loss occurs when your body has a calorie deficit--it burns more calories than it takes in. When that happens, it takes the rest of the energy it needs from its fat stores. The fat stores it taps are all over your body and there is no way for you to make it choose one area or another.

    When you have water retention from starting to lift, if you are eating in a calorie deficit, you will still be burning fat. You might not see your weight going down on the scale or feel it in your clothes right away, but at a certain point the amount of fat you've burned will surpass the amount of water you are retaining and then your clothes will get looser and the scale will go down. If you stop squats and deadlifts right now and do no lifting to target those muscles, the water retention will go away, only to return again once you start again. It's better to stick with the exercises, ride it out, and benefit from doing the exercises the whole time you are working on fat loss.
    really appreciate this, you may close the thread now just what i needed

  18. #18
    Registered User mavd's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2013
    Location: San Diego, California, United States
    Age: 30
    Posts: 625
    Rep Power: 1396
    mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000) mavd is just really nice. (+1000)
    mavd is offline
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Fat loss occurs when your body has a calorie deficit--it burns more calories than it takes in. When that happens, it takes the rest of the energy it needs from its fat stores. The fat stores it taps are all over your body and there is no way for you to make it choose one area or another.
    It should also be pointed out that it's easier for your body to burn muscle than fat stores for energy. Additionally, they take extra energy to maintain compared to fat, so when your body thinks its starving (getting less calories than it needs to maintain itself), it's going to ditch high energy consuming things like muscle. That is why it is imperative to continue to lift during weight loss. If your body thinks it needs those muscles for survival (i.e. it's using them every few days) they won't be cannibalized. If you don't lift while losing, the muscles that aren't being used will be the first to go, before most of the fat. 100% counterproductive to your goals.
    Instagram: @doctorv17

  19. #19
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    It should also be pointed out that it's easier for your body to burn muscle than fat stores for energy. Additionally, they take extra energy to maintain compared to fat, so when your body thinks its starving (getting less calories than it needs to maintain itself), it's going to ditch high energy consuming things like muscle. That is why it is imperative to continue to lift during weight loss. If your body thinks it needs those muscles for survival (i.e. it's using them every few days) they won't be cannibalized. If you don't lift while losing, the muscles that aren't being used will be the first to go, before most of the fat. 100% counterproductive to your goals.
    I see I was wondering on what would happen to my current muscles and was a bit worried if they'd decrease whilst on a calorie deficit. This highlights it wont if I carry on lifting.

    many thanks

  20. #20
    Registered User bobjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2015
    Age: 56
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobjohn123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bobjohn123 is offline
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    You cannot target fat loss so dropping squats and deadlifts will do nothing to increase your fat loss in that area and will simply put you behind where you could be, strength and physique-wise, if you were to keep them in. Fat loss occurs when your body has a calorie deficit--it burns more calories than it takes in. When that happens, it takes the rest of the energy it needs from its fat stores. The fat stores it taps are all over your body and there is no way for you to make it choose one area or another.

    When you have water retention from starting to lift, if you are eating in a calorie deficit, you will still be burning fat. You might not see your weight going down on the scale or feel it in your clothes right away, but at a certain point the amount of fat you've burned will surpass the amount of water you are retaining and then your clothes will get looser and the scale will go down. If you stop squats and deadlifts right now and do no lifting to target those muscles, the water retention will go away, only to return again once you start again. It's better to stick with the exercises, ride it out, and benefit from doing the exercises the whole time you are working on fat loss.
    by the way, is it counter productive to lift and then maybe a day after to do HIIT?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts