Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

John - 1 set, 1 rep, 1lb at a time

Welcome and thanks for following along if you chose to do so. I think most who frequent the journals know me so I'll just jump to the now and future and forget the past;

Goals
    -Compete in April 2018 in NYS with the crew at 198. Push/pull only (more on that below)
    -Lift targets 500lb double overhand deadlift (no hook grip), 330 bench
    -Maintain bodyweight without tracking macros
    -Heal up these nagging injuries
    -Focus on nutrition and watch the mirror
    -Get below 200 by end of the year
    -Health > Vanity > Happiness > Strength

Training (it ill make sense once seen)
    -Auto-regulation based training (been doing this for 8 weeks or so now)
    -Day 1 Deadlift, Day 2 Bench Press. Rinse repeat
    -5 days a week training
    -Rep scheme for the main lifts change every 2 days. Cycle through 10 different rep schemes
    -Accessory work changes each session but focused on body area (IE rows of some sort ect) - higher reps
    -Back squats off the table until 2018
    -Once a week will be the main lift (conventional DL, comp bench). The other days will be variants of the two lifts

Injuries - current
    -Tore my adductor left leg (again) a few weeks ago. Third time this year, worse one to date
    -Right intercostal still an issue but doesn't limit me

Current situation
    -Deadlift best number DOH - 450 ( 2 days ago - vid below )
    -Bench 315 paused ( 3 days ago )
    -Body weight - today 202.6

--------------------
    What the journal will look like. I will only list rep/weights for the main lift/ variant of the main lift. I will record what other work I do but no reps/sets - they don't matter and I'm not tracking them. Vids on some of the lifts - PR's rep/1rm most likely. Will update a few times a week but like many here I'm busy and even more so than ever now. With that said it's easier for me to journal than send vids via text to the boys ( and Dave's phone is still a flip phone so ).

April 2018 will be push-pull only. Few reasons for this; the obvious is I can't squat at all right now. I'm focusing on the weak link in my legs which I'm 99% sure is the reason I keep tearing this and that is the quads. Machine work right now. The second is Shawn will break the current NYS 40-44 198 record in April and because of me he doesn't own it now. Shawn is a stronger deadlifter than me but I'm a much stronger squatter. I want him to get the record even if it's not important to him, it's important to me. Finally, I'll be handling the boys again which means wrapping and not having to squat makes that easier for me to focus on them.

Question, comments, form critique, love them all. Hollow atta boys - meh, save them for the other journals

Tomorrow will be day 1 of the training tracking and its banded deadlifts. Until then here is this weeks PR's

This weeks vids-

450 double overhand deadlift (prev was 440)
    https://youtu.be/x8sSIRAYiJg

300 floor press (prev was 295) - my training partner is on the hand off
    https://youtu.be/luhox4Fn69w
    Last edited by Jtbny; 09-01-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Registered User BodyBldgPwrLftr's Avatar
    BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BodyBldgPwrLftr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sweet deadlift. Your grip strength must be incredible to go DO with no hook.
    I'm striving to do the best I can with what I have.

Find & follow me on Instagram @fortyfiedfitness

FORTYfied Fitness & Strength channel on YouTube channel here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbtBxvY6i-lcfVU9heTKMrA

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know I'm in bud
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great write up John and it looks like you won't have too much of a challenge reaching your goals ... very strong DOH pull and only a 5% bump in your bench to get to 330 and only a few pounds BW to lose. Sorry to hear about the adductor strain again. I'll be keen to see how you go with resting that and having a break from the squats. Are you doing any specific rehab work for the adductor, and if so how often?
    Good luck!
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Good luck on those goals, John. I can't even imagine doing that kind of weight without a hook grip.

Actually, I can barely imagine doing that kind of weight at all, ever.

I hope those injuries heal up well and don't hold you back. I think you'll do it!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Happy to see this bud, really interested in how you are running things right now, love seeing the highlights u text but I know the meat and potatoes has some smart programming and knowledge behind it. It will be cool to follow.
    U know my thoughts on the squat record, only reason I don't have have it now is I lost my balance and took a step. That's on me, it was faaking heavy haha. I'll revenge it this year anyway...and more!
    Just don't let that stop you from competing in the squat with me, I would feel terrible if that ended up being a reason. Broken crotch is legit though

So, anywho..... IN!
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BodyBldgPwrLftr View Post
    Sweet deadlift. Your grip strength must be incredible to go DO with no hook.
    Grip is getting better each week. At first attempting DOH didn't go well but it's like anything else; more reps you do the better it gets.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    You know I'm in bud
    You love a new journal!

Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    Great write up John and it looks like you won't have too much of a challenge reaching your goals ... very strong DOH pull and only a 5% bump in your bench to get to 330 and only a few pounds BW to lose. Sorry to hear about the adductor strain again. I'll be keen to see how you go with resting that and having a break from the squats. Are you doing any specific rehab work for the adductor, and if so how often?
    Good luck!
    Weird thing is, besides the first week after I messed the adductor up again, I've been able to deadlift through it. Today was the first day I had issues doing that. As for rehab, no not really. I should and I have been using a band tied to a rack to get some blood flow to it. It's swollen up and some cool shades of black, blue, and yellow now. I've been doing contrast with ice and heat too.

I'll be happy with a 500lb DOH pull on the platform. Not sure if I'll get the 330 bench but I'll give it a go. I've lost some pressing strength since Jan and its slow to return.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Good luck on those goals, John. I can't even imagine doing that kind of weight without a hook grip.

Actually, I can barely imagine doing that kind of weight at all, ever.

I hope those injuries heal up well and don't hold you back. I think you'll do it!
    I messed up my left bi tendon earlier this year which prompted me to abandon mixed grip. Hook grip seems like a PIA so went w/ DOH. I think with some reps you'd be surprised how the grip responds, at least for me. When I first started 315 was hard.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll give it what I can for sure.

Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    Happy to see this bud, really interested in how you are running things right now, love seeing the highlights u text but I know the meat and potatoes has some smart programming and knowledge behind it. It will be cool to follow.
    U know my thoughts on the squat record, only reason I don't have have it now is I lost my balance and took a step. That's on me, it was faaking heavy haha. I'll revenge it this year anyway...and more!
    Just don't let that stop you from competing in the squat with me, I would feel terrible if that ended up being a reason. Broken crotch is legit though

So, anywho..... IN!
    Broken crotch will need some time. The pic I sent you today is actually a better day That record is there for you to grab and I'm excited to be a part of it. Lets go!

-------------------------
    Bodyweight - 202.2
    Rep scheme day 2 - 5/4/3/2/1.
    - Lifts OHP, Deads, Weighted pullups

Warmups
    6x6 ham/leg curls SS each

OHP - supersetted w/ weighted pull-ups
    5x135 - 5+10lbs
    4x145 - 4+15lbs
    3x155 - 3+25lbs
    2x165 - 2+35lbs
    1x170 - 1+45lbs

Deadlift variant - black bands
    5x225
    4x275
    3x295
    2x315
    1x325 - vid

Accessories
    Pull-ups 8,8,8
    Leg curls
    Ham curls
    Chest flies

Notes - Today was the first day since I injured my leg that deadlifts aggravated it. Not sure what happened but could be the bands pulling me forward. Going forward band work might need to be less weight or I'll just stick with paused deads for now, not sure. Cant do deficit because the increased ROM is painful on the leg.

Tomorrow is bench and the rep scheme for the next tow sessions ( Sunday bench, Tueaday deadlifts/OHP) is 5 sets of 2.

Enjoy the holiday weekend!

banded 325 - harder than it looked.
    https://youtu.be/WhIDUojYHyo
    ☻/
    /▌

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Strong OHP and weighted pull-up progression! Like the rep scheme on the lifts.
    Interesting about the banded deads taxing the injury, guess the extra tension pulls you into a different stabilization position. I just ordered a couple bands to play with, mostly for shoulder/bench warmup and the hip band work I have been playing with though, but think I can rig them to the deadlift bar at some point.

Strong session!
    ☻/
    / \

Strong OHP and weighted pull-up progression! Like the rep scheme on the lifts.
    Interesting about the banded deads taxing the injury, guess the extra tension pulls you into a different stabilization position. I just ordered a couple bands to play with, mostly for shoulder/bench warmup and the hip band work I have been playing with though, but think I can rig them to the deadlift bar at some point.

Strong session!
    Bands are fun. They can get taxing fast!

-------------

Sunday
    Rep scheme 5x2 (day 1)
    Focus bench press normal
    Bodyweight - didn't weigh in this AM

Bench Press
    2x285
    2x295
    2x300
    2x305
    2x315

Accessories
    pull-ups (ss between bench sets)
    chest flys
    lat pull downs
    chest press - machine
    tri rope - overhead
    rear delt db flys
    ham curls

Next session will be day 2 5x2 on Tuesday - deadlifts (if my leg allows) and OHP. Enjoy the holiday.
    ☻/
    /▌

Strong bench doubles! Really hitting a good variety of accessory work in there. Hope the paper doesn't jam u up the whole weekend
    ☻/
    / \

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Weird thing is, besides the first week after I messed the adductor up again, I've been able to deadlift through it. Today was the first day I had issues doing that. As for rehab, no not really. I should and I have been using a band tied to a rack to get some blood flow to it. It's swollen up and some cool shades of black, blue, and yellow now. I've been doing contrast with ice and heat too.

I'll be happy with a 500lb DOH pull on the platform. Not sure if I'll get the 330 bench but I'll give it a go. I've lost some pressing strength since Jan and its slow to return.

banded 325 - harder than it looked.
    https://youtu.be/WhIDUojYHyo
    I always think that muscle strains (tears really) need to be stretched and kneaded to avoid scarring up and shortening .... tricky location though cos must keep crown jewels out of the way . Bands from the rack should be good and allow you to tackle it from a whole load of angles
    Banded deads looked very easy despite the groin straining and you're looking lean .... biceps veins are popping in that vid

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Strong bench doubles! Really hitting a good variety of accessory work in there. Hope the paper doesn't jam u up the whole weekend
    Paper is done. A lot of work already

I always think that muscle strains (tears really) need to be stretched and kneaded to avoid scarring up and shortening .... tricky location though cos must keep crown jewels out of the way . Bands from the rack should be good and allow you to tackle it from a whole load of angles
    Banded deads looked very easy despite the groin straining and you're looking lean .... biceps veins are popping in that vid
    I really should go see a professional with the leg but I simply haven't had the time. It definatly is swollen but I think I did a little damage to it a few days ago leading to more swelling. Still able to deadlift through it though...

-----------
    Tuesday
    Rep scheme 5x2 (day 2)
    Focus Deadlift and OHP
    Bodyweight - didn't weigh in this AM

Deadlifts DOH- 5x2
    2x405
    2x405
    2x405
    2x415
    2x420

1x405 - 7 second hold (grip work)

OHP 5x2
    2x155
    2x155
    2x155
    2x155
    2x155

Pull-ups- SS/w OHP

Accessories
    leg curls
    ham curls
    chest flies

Notes- grip was a shti show tonight. Some days better than others. Weights were easy enough though. Next two days ( Wed & Thursday ) will be 3/2/1 ( 2 rounds ) and I'll bench variant tomorrow - probably Larsons, and pause deadlifts Thur.
    Last edited by Jtbny; 09-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    ☻/
    /▌

Wednesday
    Rep scheme 3/2/1 (day 1)
    Focus bench press - Larson Press
    Bodyweight - 201.8

Larson Press - 3/2/1
    3x275
    2x280
    1x285

3x280
    2x285
    1x295

1x305 - vid

15x225 normal bench press

Accessories all 10-20 reps 3-4 sets each
    Chest flys
    Lat pull-downs
    Plate loaded rows
    Rope overhead tris
    Db rear delts
    Leg curls

Notes - let my hands creep in on bench for some reason. Leaking power doing that and will pay more attention to it going forward. 3/2/1 paused deads tomorrow.

305 Larson Press - 5lb PR at this lower bodyweight
    https://youtu.be/OCU8c1UHGJg
    ☻/
    /▌

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Getting so close to the 100s now man. I've taken to doing some warmup reps with my feet on the bench but have not and probably will not attempt a larson press. That will end with a trending youtube vid on my part lol
    ☻/
    /▌

Strong pressing bud, that's some big weight to move with nothing but upper body! Thought ur grip looked a tad narrower than usual.
    Excellent deads yesterday as well, I would say your grip was pretty damn good with all those reps in the 4's! Strong OHP as well, whatever that exercise is
    ☻/
    / \

Getting so close to the 100s now man. I've taken to doing some warmup reps with my feet on the bench but have not and probably will not attempt a larson press. That will end with a trending youtube vid on my part lol
    100s will come with consistency. No hurry really.

LP is a good variant for me. I've seen some carryover to my bench. Can be challenging to balance that's for sure

Strong pressing bud, that's some big weight to move with nothing but upper body! Thought ur grip looked a tad narrower than usual.
    Excellent deads yesterday as well, I would say your grip was pretty damn good with all those reps in the 4's! Strong OHP as well, whatever that exercise is
    Not sure why I had my grip in but glad I caught it. Wouldn't want to start developing bad habits.

Grip was funky for some reason. Just felt like I couldn't hold the bar long...oh well tonight felt better.

Thanks guys

------------
    Thursday
    Rep scheme 3/2/1 (day 2)
    Focus-deadlifts variant - Paused
    Bodyweight - 200.8

Paused deadlifts 3/2/1
    3x315
    2x340
    1x365

3x340
    2x365
    1x390- vid

Accessories
    Lat pull downs
    Ham curls
    Leg curls
    Cable rows
    Db OHP press , 55,65, 70lb
    Plate loaded neutral grip bench press

Notes - last day of the training week for me. Accessories were moderate weight higher reps 8-15 each exercise. Paused deads felt good and grip wasn't an issue. Off tomorrow and back at it Saturday and Sunday with the next 2 day block being 5x5 (except deads which are 5x3)

https://youtu.be/yJGHNn6MP1Q
    ☻/
    /▌

200.8!! Noice!! It's so close!
    Great session, paused deads looked excellent and 390 on those is moving some iron! Not to mention the extra strain on the grip it takes during the pause. That 500 DOH is gonna happen sooner than later.
    Like all the extra accessory work, solid addition for some hypertrophy!
    ☻/
    / \

200.8!! Noice!! It's so close!
    Great session, paused deads looked excellent and 390 on those is moving some iron! Not to mention the extra strain on the grip it takes during the pause. That 500 DOH is gonna happen sooner than later.
    Like all the extra accessory work, solid addition for some hypertrophy!
    It's close - maybe tomorrow but if not I'm good. Not hitting another cheat meal until next Saturday maybe by then.

Full body every session crew here I should hit the 500 DOH by April, if sooner great. I could pull 500+ now mixed grip but I'm not going back to that. My main focus is form and DOH grip though and I feel like both is getting better.

Have a good weekend!
    Last edited by Jtbny; 09-08-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    ☻/
    /▌

JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) JustBulk has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Looking good. Have a good weekend too.
    Aesthetic Nutsack Crew
    Plays with balls as I MISC Crew
    No underwear Crew
    Raw dog Crew

ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Insane grip strength. This journal is making me want to ditch mixed grip (and straps). I just feel so bad leaving reps on the table due to failed grip.

mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mejulian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great videos. You make it look easy.

Would you have any tips on how to improve grip? My deadlift could be heavier than it is, but I'm always having trouble holding the bar. I'm talking low weights, anyway. I can do 205lbs, but with 215 grip fails, even if the overall strength is there. Thanks a lot.

Just noticed last otter standing
    ☻/
    /▌

Originally Posted by JustBulk View Post
    Looking good. Have a good weekend too.
    You too!

Originally Posted by ChristianMR View Post
    Insane grip strength. This journal is making me want to ditch mixed grip (and straps). I just feel so bad leaving reps on the table due to failed grip.
    I share your concern about leaving reps on the table but the way I've gotten around that is to up my frequency, lower my volume, and up my intensity. I'm doing more higher intensity work now, even with grip being the limiting factor, than when I was using mixed grip or versa grips. Not to mention form is better with DOH than mixed and I'm way safer. It's a trade off, for me. YMMV of course.

Originally Posted by mejulian View Post
    Great videos. You make it look easy.

Would you have any tips on how to improve grip? My deadlift could be heavier than it is, but I'm always having trouble holding the bar. I'm talking low weights, anyway. I can do 205lbs, but with 215 grip fails, even if the overall strength is there. Thanks a lot.
    Some days are easier than others.

What I found to work was just doing DOH reps - lots of them. I also will do static holds on my last rep or add in an additional rep or two after my work sets with a weight that will challenge my grip strength the longer I hold it. What didn't transfer over to DOH strength was any type of farmer walks. Although they do help with grip strength they don't seem to help me with DOH grip strength, if that makes sense. I was doing 50 feet walks with 230 per hand prior to ever attempting DOH deads, yet, my first attempts w/doh and I could barely hold 315 for a single.

Farmers -
    https://youtu.be/aMGEIZFz5zc

Just noticed last otter standing
    Well Shawn is back to mass mode, Tim only diets during the week and makes up for it on the weekends, and you are gearing up for April. Someone has to hold down otter mode. 199 by next weekend maybe?
    Last edited by Jtbny; 09-08-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    ☻/
    /▌

Had to adjust my schedule a bit and go in early. Body didn't like it. Also, because of that I got stuck benching with the second powerlifting team and following their rep scheme. I realized how weak I am benching with that crew

Saturday
    Rep scheme 4 sets of 3 80%1rm
    Focus-bench - pause each rep
    Bodyweight - 200.2

Paused bench
    1x305 heavy single
    3x270
    3x270
    3x270
    3x270

Pull-ups
    10 sets of 5

Accessories reps 8-20
    Leg curls 3 sets
    Ham curls 3 sets
    Plate loaded rows 4 sets
    Machine chest flies 3 sets
    Overhead rope tri work 3 sets

Notes - not hard work on the bench, TBH. Got good comp style pauses done though. Deadlift variant tomorrow - likely bands.
    ☻/
    /▌

Damn dood you're a sauna away from seeing 199.9
    ☻/
    /▌

Damn dood you're a sauna away from seeing 199.9
    And then went apple picking and ate about 8 apples, fudge, some cider

----------------

Sunday

Rep scheme 4 sets of 3
    Focus- variant deadlift - against black bands
    Bodyweight - 202

Banded Deadlifts
    ***Worked up to a single of 405 not banded first
    3x235
    3x245
    3x255
    3x315

Accessories 8-20 reps
    Leg curls 4 sets
    Ham curls 4 sets
    Lat pull downs 3 sets
    Cable machine rows - vhandle 4 sets
    Plate loaded neutral grip bench press 3 sets
    Dip machine 3 sets
    Seated bent over db flies - rear delt focus 2 sets

Notes- banded deads still irritate my left adductor Kept them light until the last set which was a good weight to use. Doing these I really focus on 1) speed 2) squeezing glutes and quads.

Football time.
    ☻/
    /▌

Cutting a real slimline figure @ 200 in the paused deads vid!
    Still plenty of strength on the bench and deads

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Nice couple sessions! Strong work on the benching, were u benching with some Herc beasts? Solid banded deads, guess it's good that is the only variation of deads that irritates the adductor.
    Keep on the grind man, 199 is too f'n close to turn back now!
    ☻/
    / \

Cutting a real slimline figure @ 200 in the paused deads vid!
    Still plenty of strength on the bench and deads
    Actually gaining a bit of strength back too being all skinny

Nice couple sessions! Strong work on the benching, were u benching with some Herc beasts? Solid banded deads, guess it's good that is the only variation of deads that irritates the adductor.
    Keep on the grind man, 199 is too f'n close to turn back now!
    I was benching with Marcos Morris and his crew including that 17 year old who just squatted 800lbs He was only doing reps of 3 with 375 though

Ya deads bother it a bit but the banded seem to irritate it in a different way - weird.

Oh and this happened today...

***And I need to clip my toenails...LOL
    ☻/
    /▌

dooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!

Hope the family is okay John.
    ☻/
    /▌