blackjack50 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training

I have a few objectives in mind for a workout. I need some help on this one. I am a heavyweight. I want to stay in that bracket. I have 3 months to train. Basically the things I need to work on in the specific order is:

1) Muscle Stamina
    2) Strength
    3) Cardio

The reason I rank them in this order is that my cardio is acceptable. I can run 3 miles and be ok (for 270 that is pretty good lol). But where I'm lacking is that I get muscle fatigued quick in a tourney. And as a heavyweight strength is really important. But more important is having that strength last (especially since I'm doing 15 minute sub only tournaments right now).

So. What I really need explained to me is do I need to throw in a lot of sets? Push more weight? Do a higher number of lifts in a set? I'm not looking to bulk up. I'm looking to lift more weight more times than other guys. Any advice?

EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10) EggFarts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A lot of factors play into muscle/strength stamina. Especially when it comes to something like Jiu Jitsu/Grappling. If your still new to the sport maybe your supplementing strength for technique (which is pretty common among white and blue belts). A lighter more experienced grappler can handle a heavyweight with technique if the heavyweight is relying on strength. Maybe your nutrition/diet hasn't supplied your body with enough fuel to have the stamina needed. Many other things can affect this as well. Lets start with some background. How long have you been training? what is your training routine at the moment? how many times a week are you training BJJ?
    Did you hear the one about me playing the game?
    Selling my soul and changing my name.
    Did you hear the one about me being a prick?
    Did you know I don't care? You can suck my...
    Did you hear the one about me trying to die?
    Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.
    Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?
    C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... **** you!

-Five Finger Death Punch 2011

TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100) TreHolliday is not very well liked. (-100)

For those specific goals

Being 270lbs your going to *want* to move a lot, considering your asking this question I'll assume that's correct.
    I'll design a great S&C program for you.
    a good example to take from is to watch some videos of Pro MMA fighters and copy how they train, but I'll add some of my experience from Olympic caliber athletes (it's easy trust me)
    But in the end What ever your strength and conditioning program is; stick to it.
    Like this

Monday
    Strength training
    Do your big movements with heavy weight
    bench/squat/deadlift 75% - 90% of max.
    ( don't have to put in too much volume as you'll be getting more later)
    *Finish with some wrestling or BJJ practice (optional)

Tuesday
    1. BJJ practice (important).
    2. conditioning (do something like swimming or biking after BJJ for cardio.
    when you first start you will feel weak and sore from strength day while at BJJ, but as your fitness improves you'll be getting stronger.

Wednesday
    1. This day can be used to do some light rolling or any kind of grappling for 20 - 40 mins just to get some practice and a pump.

Thursday
    Conditioning day:
    1. BJJ practice!
    2. After practice do some accessory work for your strength lifts
    I.e.:

*If you bench pressed, do some triceps push downs with 70% max weight for 10 - 20 reps per set.

*Chest flies, moderate weight for 10 - 20 reps

The key here is to get enough volume in to trigger muscle growth 😃 isolate the muscles used in your compound lifts and anything in particular to BJJ like grip training or what ever you feel.
    This day is important for your muscle endurance and growth.

Friday
    1. BJJ practice 20 - 40 minutes of BJJ is recommended
    2. Cardio
    Swim, bike, walk, or run.
    3. Watch some tapes of wrestling, MMA or BJJ

Saturday
    OFF
    recover, reward your self for the hard work you put in this week because congratulations your training like a professional

Sunday
    OFF
    OFF
    OFF
    OFF
    OFF

Monday
    Your big lifts will not have recovered enough to be at your strongest
    You'll notice a strength dip
    *Practice BJJ
    For all of week 2 focus on BJJ

Here's a chart.

MONTH 1

Week 1 strength and conditioning routine

Week 2 just BJJ practice

Week 3 strength and conditioning routine

Week 4 just BJJ practice

MONTH 2

Week 5 strength and conditioning routine

Week 6 strength and conditioning routine

Etc etc etc....

Your strength start out at its highest, there after it takes 14 days to completely recover, but we want to do enough reps to build muscle in the mean time, that's why we are doing all of the reps later in the week, this will make you a freak if you can at least ease your way into this style of training.

There ya go, I've developed a world class athletes training program for you,
    I used to compete in a lot of things including the US olympic weight lifting team, college football and my favorite, powerlifting. All of these things will take care of your cardio, muscle endurance, and strength specific to BJJ. Even if you can't follow that program to a T at first, it's a good model to see where you want to be, develope the fitness necessary to not just compete, but to be one of the best. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by TreHolliday; 09-11-2017 at 12:53 AM.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TreHolliday View Post
    There ya go, I've developed a world class athletes training program for you,
    No you just made a stupid list based on you the fact you never actually trained BJJ and made up some lies about working with Olympic athletes.

20 minutes of BJJ practice 3 times a week? LMAO he'll never get his blue belt at that "pace".

Negged.

TreHollidayy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey bud I see your upset about something I said here, give me a chance to clarify because I assume that you don't know what *rolling* means and that's okay.
    I recommended practicing Brazilian JuJustu wrestling 20- 40 minutes 4 - 5 days a week
    For 3 months. If you have BJJ class that day then replace that at home session with the class.
    I was helping this bro here on the basis that he wanted strength and conditioning advice, if you can follow that periodization then I'd be very impressed, that is a rough draft; a idea of what Olympic freestyle wrestlers do, I also think it's absurd that your doubting that I have had a athletic career, a stranger you met here, on bodybuilding.com the worlds largest fitness community Andddd finally I'm not here to be a attention sloooooooot, (for being negged )
    I came to this small thread to give a 270lb man a world class periodization-style strength and conditioning routine, that I doubt he's going to follow so Idc what goes on up in hurr

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TreHollidayy View Post
    Hey bud I see your upset about something I said here, give me a chance to clarify because I assume that you don't know what *rolling* means
    Yet you claimed to have given OP a world class BJJ training program. Moron.

BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10) BuiltJBM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by blackjack50 View Post
    I have a few objectives in mind for a workout. I need some help on this one. I am a heavyweight. I want to stay in that bracket. I have 3 months to train. Basically the things I need to work on in the specific order is:

1) Muscle Stamina
    2) Strength
    3) Cardio

The reason I rank them in this order is that my cardio is acceptable. I can run 3 miles and be ok (for 270 that is pretty good lol). But where I'm lacking is that I get muscle fatigued quick in a tourney. And as a heavyweight strength is really important. But more important is having that strength last (especially since I'm doing 15 minute sub only tournaments right now).

So. What I really need explained to me is do I need to throw in a lot of sets? Push more weight? Do a higher number of lifts in a set? I'm not looking to bulk up. I'm looking to lift more weight more times than other guys. Any advice?

There are two things you may want to implement in your training:

1. Shark-bait. If possible, have 3-4 teammates roll with you when they are completely fresh. After the first teammates round is finished, the second fresh teammate will hop in, then the 3rd, then the 4th. This is a great way to challenge your fatigued muscles to endure further punishment.

2. For strength, your priority should be squat, bench, deadlift, row, shoulder press and weighted planks. It is important to advance in weight, so each time you strength train you should be adding weight to the bar. When you reach a plateau, you should de-load for a week. That is a very simple principle of gaining strength and it does work. It is very important that you do not overthink your strength training and stick to athletic, full body movements as opposed to isolation techniques.

Also, speak with your coach. Your coach knows the most about BJJ and has most likely experienced something similar to your situation in his career.

Hope that helped. Good Luck!