Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Claim: It is possible to build muscle in a calorie deficit

This is also a topic where there is a lot of science suggesting recomp is not only possible but common.

Is it still controversial on here?
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think it depends on the person. Training history, how advanced they are and how much bodyfat they are carrying. For me I judge muscle on wether I can progressively overload and I know in a deficit I'm only going to be able to maintain my lifts not increase them. In obese untrained individuals though it has been shown in many cases that they can increase muscle whilst losing weight. Even if recomp is possible. (Probably is) the bulk and cut route is definitely the quickest way. Eat in a surplus and make sure your lifts are increasing enough in line with your weight increase

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There are way to many variables to give an answer. Best to choose fatloss or muscle gain and focus on one or the other. One of the big reasons is you can actually SEE progress quicker. When attempting recomping it's very hard to tell if there's progress in either direction. Most people spin their wheels for months then end up concentrating on 1 direction or the other and that direction is almost always fatloss.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ManwittaPlan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes it’s possible.

Individual based and I can’t say everyone for certain and here’s a good example.

Let’s say you’re a 200lb individual who has a high percentage of bodyfat, are averaging 3000 cals a day and then begin a great program such as GVT (geared for mass gains) and reduce your calories to 2600 a day. This time around your diet is clean, you’re taking in well over 200 grams of protein but still lower total calories. You’ll lower your bodyfat and increase your muscle mass.

EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EiFit91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ManwittaPlan View Post
    Yes it’s possible.

Individual based and I can’t say everyone for certain and here’s a good example.

Let’s say you’re a 200lb individual who has a high percentage of bodyfat, are averaging 3000 cals a day and then begin a great program such as GVT (geared for mass gains) and reduce your calories to 2600 a day. This time around your diet is clean, you’re taking in well over 200 grams of protein but still lower total calories. You’ll lower your bodyfat and increase your muscle mass.
    This is a great point, I think recomp often happens when someone finally dials in their training and diet. I experienced something similar last year.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    There are way to many variables to give an answer. Best to choose fatloss or muscle gain and focus on one or the other. One of the big reasons is you can actually SEE progress quicker. When attempting recomping it's very hard to tell if there's progress in either direction. Most people spin their wheels for months then end up concentrating on 1 direction or the other and that direction is almost always fatloss.
    Yup I think proper bulk/cut is going to be more efficient for most people.

But the guys who cannot contain themselves on a bulk may actually reach their goals faster by slowly recomping IMO. You know those guys who come to «losing fat» after gaining 40 pounds in a few months lol

- Richard Feynman

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EiFit91 View Post
    Yup I think proper bulk/cut is going to be more efficient for most people.

But the guys who cannot contain themselves on a bulk may actually reach their goals faster by slowly recomping IMO. You know those guys who come to «losing fat» after gaining 40 pounds in a few months lol
    They should concentrate on losing the 40 lbs. If they're that far off base on calorie consumption calculations there is no way they'll be able to dial calories in close enough for a recomp. And that is only 1 piece of the recomp puzzle.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

They should concentrate on losing the 40 lbs. If they're that far off base on calorie consumption calculations there is no way they'll be able to dial calories in close enough for a recomp. And that is only 1 piece of the recomp puzzle.
    But there are plenty of guys coming to that forum who cut/bulk and spin their wheels for years. My point is just that maybe these would do better recomping slowly from their starting (fat) weight.

- Richard Feynman

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Hmm, I have read from experienced lifters like Menno who say that they could not gain any new muscle without being in a surplus.

My own mental model of how it works is that recomping is indeed possible but being at maintenance or lower presents a friction to that process. In the case of chubby young guys without much lifting experience, that friction might not amount to much and won't stop them. But in the case of experienced/lean/older lifters, it could mean that it completely nullifies muscle gain which was a slow/weak process already.

I'm quite interested in the notion that big guys like rugby players or strongmen might have more total muscle mass than competing bodybuilders because they never have to do harsh diets which put the dampeners on their long term muscle gain momentum - and being fatter may even mean you just find it easier to reach a higher genetic muscular potential compared to if you try to be lean.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is it possible? Yes.
    Is it easier to “think” you are doing it due to not knowing your ACTUAL BMR and TDEE in conjunction with allowed discrepancies of actual calories vs labels etc? Yes.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

But there are plenty of guys coming to that forum who cut/bulk and spin their wheels for years. My point is just that maybe these would do better recomping slowly from their starting (fat) weight.
    if they’re spinning their wheels concentrating on one thing they’ll spin harder trying to concentrate on 2 things.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I'm quite interested in the notion that big guys like rugby players or strongmen might have more total muscle mass than competing bodybuilders because they never have to do harsh diets which put the dampeners on their long term muscle gain momentum - and being fatter may even mean you just find it easier to reach a higher genetic muscular potential compared to if you try to be lean.
    Are you saying that this could possibly activate a higher genetic limit somehow?

If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that people who dreamer bulk for years knocking on obesity's door while training very hard, and then cut down seriously, would end up with greater muscle mass than someone who consistently ran a small surplus over the same period of time? If so, then in a macroscopic sense, this would technically be a viable approach.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MG5 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's definitely possible. I didn't even know people still thought this was impossible. It's been proven over and over that it is possible. An overweight or skinny fat beginner can do so easily. But beyond that beginners stage, a recomp will happen very slowly. Better off committing to a surplus or deficit and going through phases of lean bulks and cutting.

Others like those on certain supplements and those who've lifted in the past, taken time off away from the gym and returned will also be able to recomp.

I think I've seen studies showing pretty advanced lifters doing it, but like I mentioned, it happens much slower. But for some people, they're fine with that really slow progress if it means almost always recomping, but staying leaner year round. Kinda where I'm at in my training. I'd be happy only gaining 0.5-1 pound of muscle a year for the next 10 years, then never gaining anything after that if it means staying pretty lean year round.
    WBFF Pro Muscle Model | Questions? Send me a private message.

Online Training/Coaching Application: https://www.gettfit.com/online-coaching/

Google Reviews of GettFit Online Coaching: https://g.page/r/CeuQw8grjXrzEAE

Instagram: mike.gettier

Join the ******** Group - Build Muscle, Lose Fat, and Become Stronger: https://www.********.com/groups/buildmusclelosefat

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if they’re spinning their wheels concentrating on one thing they’ll spin harder trying to concentrate on 2 things.
    Plenty of people who get better results without alternating bulking cutting cycles. This is also confirmed by Eric Helms.

I'm one of the people who does better by avoiding cutting.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Plenty of people who get better results without alternating bulking cutting cycles. This is also confirmed by Eric Helms.

I'm one of the people who does better by avoiding cutting.
    Plenty of people don’t

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Are you saying that this could possibly activate a higher genetic limit somehow?

If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that people who dreamer bulk for years knocking on obesity's door while training very hard, and then cut down seriously, would end up with greater muscle mass than someone who consistently ran a small surplus over the same period of time? If so, then in a macroscopic sense, this would technically be a viable approach.
    Don’t...tempt me Frodo

- Richard Feynman

then you’re spending years being fat.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Hmm, I have read from experienced lifters like Menno who say that they could not gain any new muscle without being in a surplus.

My own mental model of how it works is that recomping is indeed possible but being at maintenance or lower presents a friction to that process. In the case of chubby young guys without much lifting experience, that friction might not amount to much and won't stop them. But in the case of experienced/lean/older lifters, it could mean that it completely nullifies muscle gain which was a slow/weak process already.

I agree those factors will work against a successful recomp - but in fairness they may make it more difficult to build muscle in general. I think about it as muscle building being optimal in a surplus, and then more difficult when you are in a deficit and when the deficit increases you move to just maintaining muscle and when it increases even further you lose muscle.

I do think many intermediate, overweight lifters can recomp relatively easily if they do it slowly and on a good diet and training program. And there may be a case for this if they tend to pile on fat during bulks - if they can more easily stick to a slow recomp they may be spending more time in relatively more favourable muscle building conditions.

However if bulking properly, I think bulk/cut wins the race for most people.
    Last edited by EiFit91; 08-25-2021 at 07:32 AM.

- Richard Feynman

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Plenty of people don’t
    True. Some do, some don't.

True. Some do, some don't.
    The ones that do tend to have the knowledge, both diet and training, the genetics, the correct amount of fat and icing on the cake is if they had a good amount of muscle in the recent past.

The fewer of those factors, the less successful they’ll be

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    then you’re spending years being fat.
    True, but when we're talking lifetime physique goals, two or three years of high bodyfat to unlock more overall mass might be a desirable tradeoff to improve your maximum possible lean size down the road. If someone's thinking in terms of their whole life, and increasing their strength and lean size for the long haul, then being chubby for a short period of time probably won't matter very much. Granted, that depends on whether or not this actually holds true in the first place, and if so, to what extent.

I am starting to look pretty good leaning down right now and I don't think I would have achieved the same amount of mass and strength as quickly if I was only running a small surplus for the same period of time. And of course, properly losing fat is a much faster process than properly building muscle, so speeding up the latter at the expense of the former in the short run should be even less concerning.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

The ones that do tend to have the knowledge, both diet and training, the genetics, the correct amount of fat and icing on the cake is if they had a good amount of muscle in the recent past.

The fewer of those factors, the less successful they’ll be
    Actually the ones that do respond favourably to bulking and cutting need favourable genetics. If they have poor genetics for bulking they're better off with a 'gaintaining' approach.

Actually the ones that do respond favourably to bulking and cutting need favourable genetics. If they have poor genetics for bulking they're better off with a 'gaintaining' approach.
    Is there any data that you know of where people are put on the same training program and diet protocol while bulking and they look at the muscle/fat ratio of the weight they gain and how it varies across individuals? Would be really interesting to see how much variation there is on this variable in a controlled setting (and how that distribution looks)!

- Richard Feynman

regardless of the approach, genetics and T levels will always be a significant factor.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Is there any data that you know of where people are put on the same training program and diet protocol while bulking and they track the muscle/fat ratio of the weight they gain? Would be really interesting to see how much variation there is on this variable in a controlled setting (and how that distribution looks)!
    I think that data does exist as there are many studies that have had people in surplus while lifting. I'm not sure if the individual data is available though and whether it's accurate enough.

Perhaps close to what you're saying is an upcoming Helms/Krieger study that has 3 groups of experienced lifters, one on maintenance, one on 250kcal and one on 500 kcal surplus and will compare the body comp effects. It's been heavily delayed because of COVID.

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Perhaps close to what you're saying is an upcoming Helms/Krieger study that has 3 groups of experienced lifters, one on maintenance, one on 250kcal and one on 500 kcal surplus and will compare the body comp effects. It's been heavily delayed because of COVID.
    I keep wondering about that. I remember hearing about it damn near 3 years ago when it was actually being conducted and thinking the results would be coming soon.

I think that data does exist as there are many studies that have had people in surplus while lifting. I'm not sure if the individual data is available though and whether it's accurate enough.

Is there any preprint or do you know if it is close to publication?

Will be extremely interesting to see the results of that one.

- Richard Feynman

Is there any preprint or do you know if it is close to publication?

Will be extremely interesting to see the results of that one.
    Data collection is still happening at the moment. Publication probably 2022.

SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SSM12 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In my experience it is but it’s a slow process. I’m also not like super advanced. I just focus on progressive overload. I’ll also watch the scale more and if my lifts are going up. Even slowly. And my weight is going down and I’m looking leaner I know I’m gaining some muscle. Is it ideal or the best method? Probably not, but as a former fat kid im super insecure about bulking.

It also takes a lot of effort. You can’t go in and really half ass a week or so of lifts. I take a lot of notes on my lifts. I’ll even add more sets if I can’t up a lift one week and then usually I can add 2.5 to 5lbs and lower the sets to my standard amount the next week or so.

But if I miss a day or two training that individual muscle group, I stall. It’s slow. But possible. Nutrition wise I focus on as much protein as possible while in the deficit. Whether it helps, idk, but I don’t think it it hurts

It’s not easy at all IMO and you can feel drained quickly. I think I may start an actual slow bulk this winter instead.
    Proof Angels exist: OzleyASMR

“Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude. He's trying to help you out.”

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

Yeah, I almost regret posting that since it's a little too speculative. I couldn't really say if there is a difference and whether it was due to being able to reach a higher bar or simply because of more time spent in an anabolic state (getting to your individual high bar sooner). We need data!