Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Caezar07 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Doctor, Chiropractor or walk it off? Snapped my back deadlifting

Typical injury story....too much exertion from a long bike ride the day before, not enough sleep the night before, not enough food, and I didn't listen to my body when I felt tired warming up and I tried to stick to my percentage based program.

On my first working set of 435lbs (I was planning on doing 3x3 at this weight) and about 3 inches off the ground, I felt a crack/crunch in my lower back and a muscle spasm down my right leg. This was not pain shooting down my leg, just a flinch, like if you hit a funny bone or something. There was no real pain in my back when I dropped the weight and stood up, just discomfort with slight pain and tightness. No numbness or weakness in my body as far as I can tell. Initially the pain overall was fairly mild even when I bent over...maybe 4 out of 10 on a pain scale, and no pain when standing, walking, or lying down, only pain when I curved out my lower back from bad posture.

Four days later, I only get a few seconds of pain after standing from sitting for a while (I work a desk job), but I can shrug it off and it's gone. I've started trying to stretch and whatnot to keep my back loose. I definitely get some lower back pain if I round my lower back from trying to put on socks or tie my shoes, but I haven't really tried lifting anything heavy with my back yet obviously. I don't plan on trying to deadlift any time soon, probably not until I'm completely free of discomfort.

Anyway, my question here is should I go see a doctor, chiropractor, or just walk it off? Did I get very lucky? Or even with my lack of intense pain, is it still possible that I have a serious underlying injury like a herniated or bulging disc? I fear that a doctor would simply assess that I don't have much pain, and just tell me to heat or ice my back and take some aspirin. I would really like to know the full extent of the injury to know what the likelihood of reinjury is. If I have a serious "permanent" injury prone to reinjury like a herniated disc, I will probably refrain from ever deadlifting again (is this too drastic), but if I just got a muscle strain, I plan on counting my blessings, taking my sweet time to recover, and using deadlifts as an accessory movement rather than a main power movement.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Caezar07; 08-24-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    Row from the floor.
    Eat the damned yolk.

"When I see a program that says three sets of eight reps? That's the stupidest f****** thing ever. If it doesn't have a specific percentage based on a specific max, it's useless." -Jim Wendler

Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adventurrusss will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should get it examined. Then perhaps an xray or an MRI. Theres also lots of rehab and core strengthening exercises that would be good for you. Ive learned a lot from online videos on Youtube as well as podcasts. Performance Place Sports Care on Youtube or Itunes has good recovery and rehab videos.

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    See a real Dr.

Based on my experience and the experience of several people I know, a lot of chiropractors will be happy to treat you (and charge you for umpteen visits), but will provide very questionable benefits.