Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How to stay motivated during injury watching your hard work wasting away

Hi,

Due to injury I have been unable to train legs since march, and while I was originally convinced I could get back to training rather quickly and would not lose all my progress I find myself stuck in a slump. It took me exceptionally long to get diagnosed correctly. The current diagnose is a stress stress fracture in the right distal femur (tigh bone) right above the knee (the trochlea). However as I was originally diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patellae, my physical therapist gave me an exercise regimen that actually hindered my recovery. As I also have a rheumatic condition, walking around with this untreated injury left me with a full on flare and two weeks ago I had to stop training completely as both my elbows got inflamed (golfer's elbows) . I have since then been put back on methotrexate and am looking against a whole lot of recovery time and a lot of uncertainty on whether I will be able to come back at all.

Currently my legs have already shrunk from 78 cm (30.7 inch) to 52 cm (20.47 inch) and my calves have shrunk from 46 cm (18.1 inch) to 37 cm (14.56 inch). My weight has stayed the same, meaning I got pretty fat (despite keeping my diet in check).

I find it hard looking at my measly legs knowing all those hard training sessions and all the hard work I put in is now lost and I am dreading seeing a similar decline muscle mass in my upper body, especially since my doctor has also put me on cortisone (prednisolon). I feel I took being able to train for granted as I didn't even take a lot pictures over the course of the last five years, in which I was able to train largely without physiscal problems due to my rheumatic condition (spondylitis ankylosans).

I am even finding it hard to get up everyday, dragging myself to physical therapy. Everyone says I should stay positive but when you are in pain 24/7 and can no longer do what you love to do (working out) and keep missing out on professional opportunities (I have been put on disability leave) it's hard to find something positive.

Training was my way of coping with everything life threw at me and now I find myself on the verge of giving up.
    6'4
    285 lbs
    14 % BF
    Bench: 350 lbs x 10
    Squat :440 lbs x 10 (to parralel)
    340 lbs x 6 (Ass-to-grass)
    Deadlift:500 lbs x 6

BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BeardMuscles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Been there man, snapped a good chunk of the back snowboarding.

Look, I see your numbers, you know the drill and not gonna bs you. It sucks, ya your gonna have loss. But you will get it back.

What I did during my time off from injury was watch a lot of motivational movies. Even if I had seen them already. Pumping Iron, Generation Iron, Fittest Man on Earth etc etc. I got furious and mad with energy and anger that by the time it was time to train my body couldnt stop growing. Keep at it man, let us know what you need

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I lost about 28 pounds over the winter and spring while being treated for cancer. I lost virtually all my strength. I too thought I'd be able to start training again, by April at least. It was actually July before I could start lifting.

I know what you mean about it being discouraging. But at the same time, you should be optimistic. You've done it before, there's no reason to think you can't do it again. You feel like giving up because your routine, your expectations, and your sense of self have all been disrupted. It's devastating -- I've been there.

But it's temporary. I still can't swallow, and I have to feed from a stomach tube. That doesn't keep me from doing a full workout program. The strength is slowly coming back. The energy and optimism have returned. You WILL recover, and if you have to start again from rock bottom, who cares?

You came into this world with nothing, you'll leave with nothing, so what have you lost? NOTHING! The journey is meant to be enjoyed, even if it includes some scary hairpin turns. You climb up, you fall down, you climb again. Enjoy the climb. There's a lot to see and do on the way up.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blend will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    2 months later and still no improvement

Now I also have contracted an injury in my elbows, where my nervus ulnaris is impinged and I get a small tingling sensation in my pinky fingers, but mostly a sharp pain in my inner elbow just above the medial epycondyle. Doctors are saying I should get surgery.

I am absolutely at my wits end...
    6'4
    285 lbs
    14 % BF

Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Batarang is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You have accomplished some solid numbers based on your signature. That didn't come without knowledge and passion for lifting. There is nothing you can do for your physique right now - and that feeling sucks, I know. But here is a suggestion:

Is there anyone you can train? Can you coach others - even on the knowledge portion? I know you've got that fire in you, so channel it by helping others achieve their physique. That's what I'd do & have done. Pass the torch, so to speak. None of us are going to last forever, and you've got a lot more to offer than just your physique.

Additionally, what else are you into besides training? This is an opportunity to explore other areas and pursuits in life. Yes, an opportunity - not a prison sentence. I wish you the best in making a strong comeback
    Author, Architect of Aesthetics: the ultimate guide to the art & science of bodybuilding

For evidence-based coaching & tons of free training, nutrition, and lifestyle articles: JOSEPHMURCI.com

Thanks

I have some friends that still hit the gym and while it kinda helps being able to help them out, one of them is going to have his first show in a couple of months, it's hard at the same time seeing them improve and being able to train while I can't. Might seem a bit petty, but that's how it feels sometimes.

I am trying to focus on other things. I went back to university trying to get a Phd in statistics and taking some other courses as well. It's hardtoco pe when trainingis/was such a big part of my life. Not just physique wise but also as a social activity and something to relieve stress.

I've been put on cortisone now so it's not about to improve soo, I'm struggling. Some days are better than others.
    6'4
    285 lbs
    14 % BF