Bardownski is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Major muscle loss due to depression- now what?

Hey guys:

Former college hockey player here. I'm not brand new to weightlifting or anything; I know how to do squats, deadlifts, etc properly, the problem is, I've battled depression for as long as I can remember, and all my years of playing hockey i've always had guidance or a coach there to give me structured plans, i.e leg day, chest day, sprint ladders, etc. Having a team schedule as well has always helped. Since leaving college, depression unfortunately got the best of me. I went through a long dark stretch and didn't lift for months. I'm doing everything I can to pull myself out of it now; I've lost almost all my muscle mass that I had built up. I'm 115 (female, haha), so I don't have any weight loss I need to do or anything. For lack of a better way to describe it...I'm skinny-fat, and as an athlete, it's pretty fricken embarrassing.

When I try to get back into the gym, I get overwhelmed with all of the information out there in terms of workouts and structured plans. Without the structure, it just adds to the anxiety that I already deal with as it is. It's not a lack of motivation thing, I'm just so lost as to where to even start. I've never been in this position before. I'm basically starting from the ground up.

I have full gym access as well as the rink and the football field/track. Any input or information would be really appreciated, or if anyone has a structured plan with workouts/reps/days to do them or anything like that or could point me in the right direction, that would be amazing. I'd go back to my trainer, but since I'm no longer attending the school, it's expensive as hell.

I want nothing more than to beat this and get back on my feet. After I build up a solid base, I want to get back into goalie-specific stuff, but I can't do that when I'm skin and bones.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by Bardownski; 08-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.