Reply
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Age: 36
    Posts: 168
    Rep Power: 403
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer is offline

    Chest Supported T-Bar Row vs. Prone Row Bench

    Which would you choose and why? Do you find a noticeable difference between the two? I'm kind of on the fence in regards to a potential purchase. Since most gyms don't have dedicated prone row benches i've only had the chance to use them a handful of times but thought it was a solid movement. I've had a lot more time on a Chest Supp. Row and love a properly angled one as it is easy on my problematic lower back (Bodymasters was my fav).
    Conversely, I once used a Trotter brand Chest Supp. Row and the weight was too far away from the pivot point and not only did the movement feel meh but it strained my low back badly.


    Anyway, what are your thoughts or preferences between the two?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    OG Duplicitous's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts: 805
    Rep Power: 2736
    Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Duplicitous is offline
    Originally Posted by ArnoldHAMnEGGer View Post
    Which would you choose and why? Do you find a noticeable difference between the two? I'm kind of on the fence in regards to a potential purchase. Since most gyms don't have dedicated prone row benches i've only had the chance to use them a handful of times but thought it was a solid movement. I've had a lot more time on a Chest Supp. Row and love a properly angled one as it is easy on my problematic lower back (Bodymasters was my fav).
    Conversely, I once used a Trotter brand Chest Supp. Row and the weight was too far away from the pivot point and not only did the movement feel meh but it strained my low back badly.


    Anyway, what are your thoughts or preferences between the two?
    I'm partial to the chest-supported types, whether they be seated or t-bar style. On my short list are the Rogers 3-Way Row, Arsenal Strength ReLoaded Lever Row and Bodymasters plate loaded row.

    As an aside, I've used the Cybex Trotter seated row (selectorized) and actually like it quite a bit.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User Garage Rat's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: So.Cal.
    Posts: 7,110
    Rep Power: 32985
    Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Garage Rat is offline
    I have a EliteFTS plate loaded chest supported row and love it for back and rear delt work.
    I feel i can focus easier on the CSR on the working muscle because of being very stable on the bench and with the foot plate.
    A prone bench has some advantages the CSR does not have.
    Grip widths are one as the regular CSR has handles fixed in certain positions.
    I can't use a close grip on mine but a prone bench row you could with a barbell or dumbbells.
    With a DB prone row you can guide the weight into an arcing movement with the arms which would allow a bit more contraction.
    With the prone row you may have to prop up the bench on a small block so you don't bottom out on the stretch.
    So both have good qualities.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User ArnoldHAMnEGGer's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Age: 36
    Posts: 168
    Rep Power: 403
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ArnoldHAMnEGGer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ArnoldHAMnEGGer is offline
    Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    I'm partial to the chest-supported types, whether they be seated or t-bar style. On my short list are the Rogers 3-Way Row, Arsenal Strength ReLoaded Lever Row and Bodymasters plate loaded row.

    As an aside, I've used the Cybex Trotter seated row (selectorized) and actually like it quite a bit.
    This was the one i used https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trotter-Che...-/362585971036 . I prefer one with the loading point not as far away as i feel this is what contributed to the movement being uncomfortable for my low back issues.

    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I have a EliteFTS plate loaded chest supported row and love it for back and rear delt work.
    I feel i can focus easier on the CSR on the working muscle because of being very stable on the bench and with the foot plate.
    A prone bench has some advantages the CSR does not have.
    Grip widths are one as the regular CSR has handles fixed in certain positions.
    I can't use a close grip on mine but a prone bench row you could with a barbell or dumbbells.
    With a DB prone row you can guide the weight into an arcing movement with the arms which would allow a bit more contraction.
    With the prone row you may have to prop up the bench on a small block so you don't bottom out on the stretch.
    So both have good qualities.
    Appreciate your input. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts