Thread: Treadmill Noise

jcwillia1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Treadmill Noise

I have a used Precor 9.2S and it's been making a lot of scraping noises lately that sound like metal on metal coming from the front of the treadmill.

The treadmill still performs fine - it's just a bit loud...

Should I be doing something? Forgive my ignorance.

thanks.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jcwillia1 View Post
    I have a used Precor 9.2S and it's been making a lot of scraping noises lately that sound like metal on metal coming from the front of the treadmill.

The treadmill still performs fine - it's just a bit loud...

Should I be doing something? Forgive my ignorance.

thanks.
    Noises are hard to diagnose, mettle on mettle? That sounds bad.

Could be a few things. Is the belt tracking straight, to one side more than another? Did you open the hood to see if anything got stuck in there, check under the treadmill?

Could be bad bearings in a roller or motor, could be bad motor brushes. That's a pretty old unit and they do get noisy.

jcwillia1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    Noises are hard to diagnose, mettle on mettle? That sounds bad.

Could be a few things. Is the belt tracking straight, to one side more than another? Did you open the hood to see if anything got stuck in there, check under the treadmill?

Could be bad bearings in a roller or motor, could be bad motor brushes. That's a pretty old unit and they do get noisy.
    there's nothing under the treadmill

it does sound real bad but it doesn't seem to hurt performance? I would love to make it stop but I don't know that I want to buy a new one, especially since getting a treadmill into my basement is NOT fun.

edit : ok I figured it out. I have it smashed over against a shelf unit (plastic basement shelves) where I put my iphone so I can watch stuff while I'm working out. I remembered that if you lean on the support bars at ALL, it makes a TERRIBLE noise. Well one of the bars had just a tiny bit of pressure on it from the shelving unit and that was causing the noise. Pulled the treadmill out an inch, problem solved.

I also took the incline all the way up and vacuumed under the treadmill - it was a bit dusty.

bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000) bcradio is just really nice. (+1000)

it does sound real bad but it doesn't seem to hurt performance? I would love to make it stop but I don't know that I want to buy a new one, especially since getting a treadmill into my basement is NOT fun.

edit : ok I figured it out. I have it smashed over against a shelf unit (plastic basement shelves) where I put my iphone so I can watch stuff while I'm working out. I remembered that if you lean on the support bars at ALL, it makes a TERRIBLE noise. Well one of the bars had just a tiny bit of pressure on it from the shelving unit and that was causing the noise. Pulled the treadmill out an inch, problem solved.

I also took the incline all the way up and vacuumed under the treadmill - it was a bit dusty.
    That's not normal, but hey, good enough is good enough right?

No need to change your cars oil until the engine starts making noise either.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Glad you figured it out! Sounds like the handle bars need to be tightened up.

When you are ready find a high end dealer and trade that puppy in for something new.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you lubricated the belt lately? Say, within the last six months?
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~