Thread: Newbie Help

rdopler is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie Help

Hello everyone, I am just getting into weight training at the age of 28. Yes I know that is late, but I had always been in sports until about 21, therefore I was always slim and trim and never wanted to actually lift weights. I am 6'2" 150 lbs, so I am skinny as a rail. From what I have read on various sites it seems like my best option is to take some whey protein and creatine together. If anyone cold help me out and tell me what they would do in my situation or if this is even the route to go. If this is the way to go could you recommend some supplements to get me started. I've been working out now for about 3 weeks with some gain, I went from 146 lbs to 150 lbs. I am hoping that if I take some supplements it will jumpstart my progress. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this and please let me know your thoughts.

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Focus on lifting and eating in a slight caloric surplus. You don't need much protein, so you probably don't need a protein powder. If you're falling short on protein for the day through a scoop of whey into the mix, but it's not a necessity. I use one scoop a day, but it's because I was sick of eating 16oz of chicken each day. I'm at around 205g of protein however, and you'll only need 140-150g.
    Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rdopler View Post
    Hello everyone, I am just getting into weight training at the age of 28. Yes I know that is late, but I had always been in sports until about 21, therefore I was always slim and trim and never wanted to actually lift weights. I am 6'2" 150 lbs, so I am skinny as a rail. From what I have read on various sites it seems like my best option is to take some whey protein and creatine together. If anyone cold help me out and tell me what they would do in my situation or if this is even the route to go. If this is the way to go could you recommend some supplements to get me started. I've been working out now for about 3 weeks with some gain, I went from 146 lbs to 150 lbs. I am hoping that if I take some supplements it will jumpstart my progress. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this and please let me know your thoughts.
    Before you dive into supplements I would make sure that your diet is in order and that you have a quality training program.

Here is a thread with training programs:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=120309781

I think that starting with whey protein taken post-workout or between meals on non-training days would be worthwhile, but do not expect to see any immediate size/strength gains. Protein supplementation is more about consistency and you will see results over the course of weeks/months but not days. Creatine is also effective (and inexpensive) and is something that you could look to add once you hit your first strength plateau - for now you should make great gains without the creatine.

With regard to specific products/brands I would stick with the basics, and brands that are well-established. For the protein your best bet is probably Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (good price point, flavors, and quality) but there are a few others that are also good. For the creatine I would start with a 'creapure' creatine monohydrate - I use Allmax brand for this but there are plenty of others. Don't fall prey to the hype and go with an exotic creatine that is 2-5X the cost, unless you do not respond well to Monohydrate and need to try HCL or other forms.

Hope this helps!
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Starting out nutrition is going to be the most important for making solid progress- you may want to go check out the nutrition forum section and read the stickies there.
    You can add in protein powders if you're struggling to get your daily protein intake from real food. A few good protein powders I would recommend are ALLMAX, PES, Isopure. You could also look into mass gainers if you're trying to pack on the weight Allmax has a cookie and cream gainer that tastes awesome.
    Creatine 3-5gm daily will help to improve your strength
    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

Registered User FormulaLT1poweR's Avatar
    FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) FormulaLT1poweR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rdopler View Post
    If you are looking to bulk up and get bigger, you are really going to want to eat in a caloric surplus. Head over to the Nutrition Section to get an idea of what you should be eating, how much, etc. You will want to track your daily macros and be sure to hit your protein intake daily.

Supplements - Will depend on your macros and where you need help, I'll recommend based off what you asked.
    Protein Powder - https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/m...whey-gold.html
    Creatine - https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/m...per-build.html
    I'd also look at getting a multi-vitamin as well.