I'm actually not scrawny ScrawnyScotty's Avatar
    ScrawnyScotty is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I want to improve my life.

This is my first post ever on BodyBuilding.com, and I have come here to change my life for the better. I am 19 years old, 5 foot 4, and I weigh 165.2 pounds although I do not look anywhere near overweight. I made the mistake of never actually "working out" a day in my life and I am tired of living my life like this. I have a slim body with obviously no muscle but I am looking to lose some weight and replace it with muscle mass. I would like any members of the forum to link me to beginner workouts to increase strength, endurance, and gain lots of muscle mass quickly. I started lifting about 3 days ago doing 3 sets of 15 curls with a 10 pound weight on each arm. I already have pain my in my inner elbow which from what I read is probably DOMS or I discovered a new muscle. I also pushed myself each day to do 10 push ups after those curls which were although not that difficult the second day I did them. After each workout I was recommended to take "Creatine X3" to help me start gaining muscle mass quickly which I have done for my past 3 workouts. I want to start improving my body very quickly, I have access to my pool and a simple small weight system. Please guys I want to change my life, all comments welcomed! Thank you so much!

callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000) callan91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ScrawnyScotty View Post
    This is my first post ever on BodyBuilding.com, and I have come here to change my life for the better. I am 19 years old, 5 foot 4, and I weigh 165.2 pounds although I do not look anywhere near overweight. I made the mistake of never actually "working out" a day in my life and I am tired of living my life like this. I have a slim body with obviously no muscle but I am looking to lose some weight and replace it with muscle mass. I would like any members of the forum to link me to beginner workouts to increase strength, endurance, and gain lots of muscle mass quickly. I started lifting about 3 days ago doing 3 sets of 15 curls with a 10 pound weight on each arm. I already have pain my in my inner elbow which from what I read is probably DOMS or I discovered a new muscle. I also pushed myself each day to do 10 push ups after those curls which were although not that difficult the second day I did them. After each workout I was recommended to take "Creatine X3" to help me start gaining muscle mass quickly which I have done for my past 3 workouts. I want to start improving my body very quickly, I have access to my pool and a simple small weight system. Please guys I want to change my life, all comments welcomed! Thank you so much!
    great! you have taken the first step!

get a gym membership and research "starting strength" - work out a diet and get into it! best of luck
    Bench 315 lbs
    Squat 355 lbs
    Dead 510 lbs - will never lift this again :( final destination snap city 26/9/16

Originally Posted by callan91 View Post
    great! you have taken the first step!

get a gym membership and research "starting strength" - work out a diet and get into it! best of luck
    Thanks dude I really appreciate it! I am currently enrolled in college and as soon as leave for it in two weeks I can start hitting the school's free gym. I am looking for the best exercises to do at home right now with my small weight system and even just swimming. As for the diet I will start to looking into diets best suitable for me. Thank you very much for you response!

kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is your "small weight system" comprised of?

Originally Posted by kechimir View Post
    What is your "small weight system" comprised of?
    Simple dumbell weights, up to about 40 pounds

Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alan21 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I found when I started out the gym was good but the diet was key to weight loss. Learn about nutrition and how to eat for your goal that is very important and sometimes what people lack. Find a program that works for you and your schedule. Something you can learn from and grow.

kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kechimir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First of all, calculate your BMR. If you want to lose weight, eat 250 - 500 calories below your BMR. If you want to add muscle, eat 250 - 500 above your BMR. And then make sure your diet is good. Calculate macros for your body constitution, and make sure you eat enough.

As for the training, I think there was a dumbbell-only version of Fierce 5 somewhere on the forum. It would be good to start with. Or just google "home dumbbell only full body workout". And don't hesitate to ask anything else here in the forum, this is a great place to be.

Originally Posted by kechimir View Post
    First of all, calculate your BMR. If you want to lose weight, eat 250 - 500 calories below your BMR. If you want to add muscle, eat 250 - 500 above your BMR. And then make sure your diet is good. Calculate macros for your body constitution, and make sure you eat enough.

As for the training, I think there was a dumbbell-only version of Fierce 5 somewhere on the forum. It would be good to start with. Or just google "home dumbbell only full body workout". And don't hesitate to ask anything else here in the forum, this is a great place to be.
    Much appreciated, a lot of useful information here.

brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ScrawnyScotty View Post
    After each workout I was recommended to take "Creatine X3" to help me start gaining muscle mass quickly which I have done for my past 3 workouts.
    You can have great results without creatine.

Creatine helps manufacture ATP from APP in your muscles so you can push out an extra rep or two.
    Current (November 2017) 1rm:
    Benchpress - 175lbs
    Deadlift - 295lbs
    Squat - 275lbs (probably closer to 295 now)
    OHP - 110lbs
    ==========
    Starting (May 2017) 1rm:
    Benchpress - 105lbs
    Deadlift - 185lbs
    Squat - 90lbs
    OHP - 70lbs

OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000) OryxOryx is just really nice. (+1000)
    The single most important thing, the thing that is WAY, WAY, WAY more important than being on a good routine, taking some random supplements, and having an optimal diet, is to get into the habit of regular exercise while not eating complete crap, and to do this gradually and sustainably.

The easy thing to do is get all hyped up like STARTING TOMORROW I AM A NEW MAN! I will count every calorie! I will eat only high quality food! I will work out HARD every day! I WILL BECOME A NEW PERSON RAAAAARRRGH! Then within a couple weeks at best you've burnt out and reverted to your old ways because you tried to go from horribly diet and exercise habits to perfect diet and exercise habits in one day. This is as sensible as trying to squat 300 pounds when you've never squatted the bar before. I did this cycle probably 30 times before I finally got it right and built a real habit that has gotten me over 60lbs of fat loss and radically increased strength and fitness (still a long way to go, but now the habit is ingrained).

Try making one or two changes a week. Maybe one diet change and one exercise change, or something.

So for fitness right now, do absolutely any physical activity whatsoever that you find fun and sustainable, say 3 times per week. In my case I was morbidly obese and sedentary, so I started with just a 20 minute walk and a few air squats. Do whatever random exercise you feel like doing, just do it consistently. How about doing a few sets of squats while holding dumbbells, then going for a swim.

For diet, everyone here thinks that it is super important to track calories. Personally, I tried this many times and it never worked. Going from being a person who eats a horrendous diet thoughtlessly to tracking every single thing is too big of a jump. Just start with simple rules of thumb, implemented gradually. Like week 1: no cola. Week 2: no candy. Week 3: no other miscellaneous junk food. Week 4: add more veggies to every meal. After you go a month or two implementing rules like this, you end up with a pretty decent diet and then you start keeping track of calories and macros. But for me, it was just too much to start on day 1 doing calculations to determine that I can drink 4.2oz of coke with my dinner, after which I can have 1.75 cookies.

When you get to college, make use of the gym. Get into a simple strength routine like Starting Strength, allpro, Fierce 5, etc. Do not let embarassment at your out-of-shapeness prevent you from using the gym. For some reason I had this giant mental block where I was embarassed to be seen for the fat weak useless slob that I was at the gym, so I avoided them for years. Once I finally got there, I realized that nobody cares, nobody laughs at you, nobody is sitting there thinking "haha he's so weak!" 98% of people will be completely oblivious to the fact that you are even there, and the remaining 2% will just want to offer some tip or advice or encouragement.

Good luck! Remember that gradually implementing good habits, even if they are sub-optimal, is 1000x more important than copying the habits of people who are already at a high level with regard to fitness and nutrition.

Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    The single most important thing, the thing that is WAY, WAY, WAY more important than being on a good routine, taking some random supplements, and having an optimal diet, is to get into the habit of regular exercise while not eating complete crap, and to do this gradually and sustainably.

The easy thing to do is get all hyped up like STARTING TOMORROW I AM A NEW MAN! I will count every calorie! I will eat only high quality food! I will work out HARD every day! I WILL BECOME A NEW PERSON RAAAAARRRGH! Then within a couple weeks at best you've burnt out and reverted to your old ways because you tried to go from horribly diet and exercise habits to perfect diet and exercise habits in one day. This is as sensible as trying to squat 300 pounds when you've never squatted the bar before. I did this cycle probably 30 times before I finally got it right and built a real habit that has gotten me over 60lbs of fat loss and radically increased strength and fitness (still a long way to go, but now the habit is ingrained).

Try making one or two changes a week. Maybe one diet change and one exercise change, or something.

So for fitness right now, do absolutely any physical activity whatsoever that you find fun and sustainable, say 3 times per week. In my case I was morbidly obese and sedentary, so I started with just a 20 minute walk and a few air squats. Do whatever random exercise you feel like doing, just do it consistently. How about doing a few sets of squats while holding dumbbells, then going for a swim.

For diet, everyone here thinks that it is super important to track calories. Personally, I tried this many times and it never worked. Going from being a person who eats a horrendous diet thoughtlessly to tracking every single thing is too big of a jump. Just start with simple rules of thumb, implemented gradually. Like week 1: no cola. Week 2: no candy. Week 3: no other miscellaneous junk food. Week 4: add more veggies to every meal. After you go a month or two implementing rules like this, you end up with a pretty decent diet and then you start keeping track of calories and macros. But for me, it was just too much to start on day 1 doing calculations to determine that I can drink 4.2oz of coke with my dinner, after which I can have 1.75 cookies.

When you get to college, make use of the gym. Get into a simple strength routine like Starting Strength, allpro, Fierce 5, etc. Do not let embarassment at your out-of-shapeness prevent you from using the gym. For some reason I had this giant mental block where I was embarassed to be seen for the fat weak useless slob that I was at the gym, so I avoided them for years. Once I finally got there, I realized that nobody cares, nobody laughs at you, nobody is sitting there thinking "haha he's so weak!" 98% of people will be completely oblivious to the fact that you are even there, and the remaining 2% will just want to offer some tip or advice or encouragement.

Good luck! Remember that gradually implementing good habits, even if they are sub-optimal, is 1000x more important than copying the habits of people who are already at a high level with regard to fitness and nutrition.
    Agree. Keep some enthusiasm for later when workout become very very hard