Closed Thread
    uaziz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy I want to go to the gym but I'm too weak

hi,

I'm 21 and I'm weak as f**k, skinny and I have an odd body shape. My legs are fine because I jog pretty regularly, 3 miles in a single run. But my torso is non-existent, I have a odd posture, sometimes it causes discomfort in my lower back and it gets stiff when it's worked a lot. This is bad, i know.

I used to workout with freeweights, i followed a 4x4 plan and ate good food and that was good for about...2 months, then I hurt my knee and stopped working out then.

Due to the lack of space at home now, I can't do that and I haven't worked out in a year. I used to weigh nearly 13st about a year ago, now I way like 11st. I probably stopped eating because of stress, anxiety/ depression and me being to lazy to eat food, I sometimes skip meals if there isn't anything to eat.

I went to the gym once, bought a month membership, when I went to do a bench press, I couldn't lift the 15kg barbell bar up. Before I could bench like 33kg, it aint much but I was happy I was making progress. But I felt embarrassed that I could lift that up.

So, if I do go to the gym again, is it advisable that I use isometric machines until i feel comfortable enough to use the free-weights again?

Genuinely would appreciate advise, I wanna keep doing this, I want to be healthy and active.

Thanks

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mate just do pushups at home until you are strong enough to bench the bar. It won't take long. If youre too weak for a proper pushup just do them off a table and work down to a step and finally the floor
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I want to go to the gym but I'm too weak
    That's like saying "I want to go on a diet but I'm too fat..."

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pick up some lighter dumbbells. Use them until you can use the bar.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2stepmurder has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    find lighter weight and progress. let the newbie gains take over. eat a lot and drink a lot of water and in no time you'll have a strong foundation

AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AndYUKnowThis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You wanna know what's 10x more embarrassing? When you're 6' 230lbs and look like a football player, but can only bench 1 plate. Yes that's me, the guy who looks like he has a 300lb bench, only doing 1 plate. Talk about expectations. People are gonna expect you to be weak

Just go dude.

GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GreekGod69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AndYUKnowThis View Post
    You wanna know what's 10x more embarrassing? When you're 6' 230lbs and look like a football player, but can only bench 1 plate. Yes that's me, the guy who looks like he has a 300lb bench, only doing 1 plate. Talk about expectations. People are gonna expect you to be weak

Just go dude.
    This lol

Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Budaan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i was 5"10 240lbs 36% fat with 11 inch arms... the gym? Hell no, i would rather eat chips and play games and smoke pot.

I didn't wanna go to the gym, i was weak. I was fat. I was drinking unhealthy amounts of alcohol and smoking pot.
    My diet was terrible, i had acne because of lack of micronutrients, i was more pale than a pint of milk and out of breath with three steps.

But i did go to the gym. Just to train on the stationary bike. Believe it or not, but i lost 80 lbs in 3 months.
    I quitted smoking, and smoking pot, drinking and gaming.

After three month's i started weightlifting. I will do so until i die.
    So you're on the internet for good advice, here's some good advice: have a good laugh once in a while. And never tear your bicep!

628 / 661 LBS DL
    529 / 600 LBS SQ
    242 / 300 LBS BP

overss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man I'm 21 as well and an ectomorph too. But you got to realize everyone starts somewhere it will take time but just throw in your headphones do your thing, eat properly and strength will come. my advice would be to cut the cardio and eat heavy and lift heavy (or as much as you can do) keep it consistent and you'll get rewarded for it.

Best of luck

HardGainerFitness.com JohnMichaelHGF's Avatar
    JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    We all start from somewhere. When I was in my early teens I used the smith machine and built up enough strength on that to be able to bench just the bar on free weight.

The gym is for people trying to better themselves. It's such an egotistic atmosphere that anyone concentrating on what you're doing are there for the wrong reasons. Go!
    Tired of being skinny and small ? You're a HARDGAINER!

Check us out!

HardGainerFitness.com

MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Dude I know how you feel. This was me last winter, I couldn't even bench the bar. I have autism and coordination issues which made starting lifting extremely hard. I finally got on a proper program and started lifting using progressive overload and now I can bench 115 ( still not impressive but way better than I used to be ) and can squat 145 for 30 reps ( in sets ) I felt so weak at first and almost embarrassed to go to the gym but now I'm finally gaining strength and you can too.

MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by JohnMichaelHGF View Post
    We all start from somewhere. When I was in my early teens I used the smith machine and built up enough strength on that to be able to bench just the bar on free weight.

The gym is for people trying to better themselves. It's such an egotistic atmosphere that anyone concentrating on what you're doing are there for the wrong reasons. Go!
    The Smith Machine isn't the greatest option mainly because you don't work your stabilizer muscles on it. I could probably squat 220 if I used the smith machine, not on freeweights though. Doing a lighter weight on freeweights is better than the smith machine.

brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brenthopkins is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MBoux2000 View Post
    The Smith Machine isn't the greatest option mainly because you don't work your stabilizer muscles on it. I could probably squat 220 if I used the smith machine, not on freeweights though. Doing a lighter weight on freeweights is better than the smith machine.
    I agree he shouldn't have used the smith machines but he couldnt bench the bar.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    grab some dumbbells and rep them for a while.

Benching the bar won't take long

And stop worrying about others, most the guys I know in the gym can double my totals, none of them care.
    In fact most will be happy to help in some manner if you ask
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by brenthopkins View Post
    I agree he shouldn't have used the smith machines but he couldnt bench the bar.
    I know the struggle. I couldn't bench the bar when I first started. I've noticed massive improvements in coordination and good improvements in strength since I started lifting with free weights.

BEEP BEEP GET IN MY JEEP! HarpoonTang's Avatar
    HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000) HarpoonTang is just really nice. (+1000)
    brotha, we all gotta start somewhere, i started doing tricep extensions in my basement with a dumbell and a sock. My biggest thing to you, is go and just focus on building up. Most people will not pay attention to you, and many will help if asked. If people are rude, ignore them, and know they have some issues of their own. In terms of machines or weights, it is really what you feel comfortable with. I started with free weights until i built a solid foundation and learned what my body can do. Take the first couple of weeks to explore and see whats right for you. Dont ever compare yourself to others, focus on yourself, and be proactive. your biggest obstacle is yourself, get right with you and anything will be more easy and enjoyable, GET THAT CONFIDENCE!
    ***See You in the Afterlife Crew***

HardGainerFitness.com JohnMichaelHGF's Avatar
    JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JohnMichaelHGF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MBoux2000 View Post
    You missed the point of my story. I was in my early teens and couldn't lift a 45lb barbell.
    Tired of being skinny and small ? You're a HARDGAINER!

Check us out!

HardGainerFitness.com

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    It seems that opie has left the building.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733