mirrors23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much lower?!

Hey guys, so I'm a male, 5'7, 25 years old and have been cutting for 4 months now, started at 180 lbs and hit 147 lbs this morning. My main goal was to hit 140, expecting i'd look pretty good at that weight, but from the looks of it now, it looks like I have 25-30 more pounds to loose!! I still have a very noticeable stomach and chest fat at 147 lbs! How low am I gonna have to go, and is this normal?! I've also been lifting for a few years, and have been lifting 3 days a week since starting this cut following the fierce 5 workout routine and progressing. I feel like it seriously looks like I have 30 lbs left to loose at 147 lbs, 5'7 height. HOW? I don't wanna bulk being this fat, I wanna get down to 10-12% before starting a bulk. Just wanna know if this is normal for someone my height, or if I'm doing something wrong, idk...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mirrors23; 07-26-2017 at 11:19 AM.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mirrors23 View Post
    Hey guys, so I'm a male, 5'7, 25 years old and have been cutting for 4 months now, started at 180 lbs and hit 147 lbs this morning. My main goal was to hit 140, expecting i'd look pretty good at that weight, but from the looks of it now, it looks like I have 25-30 more pounds to loose!! I still have a very noticeable stomach and chest fat at 147 lbs! How low am I gonna have to go, and is this normal?! I've also been lifting for a few years, and have been lifting 3 days a week since starting this cut following the fierce 5 workout routine and progressing. I feel like it seriously looks like I have 30 lbs left to loose at 147 lbs, 5'7 height. HOW? I don't wanna bulk being this fat, I wanna get down to 10-12% before starting a bulk. Just wanna know if this is normal for someone my height, or if I'm doing something wrong, idk...
    Post a couple of pictures.

philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pictures are the only way to advise for sure
    "Through Calorie-counting all things are possible" : Phil 19:26

Alright, pictures added to original post. Please tell me whats up

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    See when you were doing your program, were you half-assing it with your nutrition and training? A few years of lifting properly you wouldn't look like that. That is the harsh truth.

You could lose another 15lb at least, but you also have loose skin on your stomach. The only reason you can still lose more weight is because you were not taking your training serious.

I hope in the future you take this serious. I mean 3 years lifting and at 25.

Say you haven't actually been messing around. I'd recommend talking to a doctor.

Also what are your lifts at?

Originally Posted by Junsuiakai View Post
    See when you were doing your program, were you half-assing it with your nutrition and training? A few years of lifting properly you wouldn't look like that. That is the harsh truth.

You could lose another 15lb at least, but you also have loose skin on your stomach. The only reason you can still lose more weight is because you were not taking your training serious.

Say you haven't actually been messing around. I'd recommend talking to a doctor.

When I first started, I wasn't half assing it at all, and haven't been. I realized I needed to to something and I worked hard at it, and still am. I got on here and read every sticky and educated myself. I lost 34 lbs in three months. I've been lifting 3 days a week for those 3 months on a good lifting program. My lifts aren't the greatest but I'm trying and it's hard with a calorie deficit. My lifts are at 170 bench, 180 deadlift, 170 squat, 90 overhead press. Talk to a doctor and say what..? I'm confused...

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I first started, I wasn't half assing it at all, and haven't been. I realized I needed to to something and I worked hard at it, and still am. I got on here and read every sticky and educated myself. I lost 34 lbs in three months. I've been lifting 3 days a week for those 3 months on a good lifting program. My lifts aren't the greatest but I'm trying and it's hard with a calorie deficit. My lifts are at 170 bench, 180 deadlift, 170 squat, 90 overhead press. Talk to a doctor and say what..? I'm confused...
    Check your hormones/thyroid is what I was getting at.

It is great you lost 34lbs. but if you've been lifting for 3 years. I'd assume you'd have much more to show for it, that is why I said talk to your doctor.

I have been lifting on and off for a few years, but not with a proven program and my nutrition was bad. I know I messed up my body in the past, but I'm trying to correct it now. I know I'm not gonna have abs and a toned body after my cut. I know I have a lot of work to do, and I'm willing to put in that work. I'm looking for more guidance from someone experienced such as yourself. This is where I'm at. What should my next move be?

enrivdon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how much calorie do you eat everyday while cutting?

BurnoutFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd say stop the caloric deficit, go to maintenance and really stress your lifting. It'll put muscle in the areas you mentioned. If you don't see increases in muscle mass and strength within 45/days(ish) there may be bigger issues.
    'Live Life One Rep At A Time'

Certified Personal Trainer

IG: @burnout_fit

burnoutfitnessapparel.com

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, you know how to lose weight. I think you need to prioritize the weights and lift consistently enough to put on some muscle. You do not look like yu have been lifting with any intensity, efficiency, or consistency for close to 3 years. Figure out what's up with that. Are you only hitting each muscle group once a week? (I also suggest seeing a doctor.)

Honestly, I'd say add 10 pounds of muscle (a good workout and diet, with lean bulk, and gaining 2 pounds a MONTH should put you close in about 6 months or so.) THEN continue with the weights and try to drop some more of the fat.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    OP, you know how to lose weight. I think you need to prioritize the weights and lift consistently enough to put on some muscle. You do not look like yu have been lifting with any intensity, efficiency, or consistency for close to 3 years. Figure out what's up with that. Are you only hitting each muscle group once a week? (I also suggest seeing a doctor.)

Honestly, I'd say add 10 pounds of muscle (a good workout and diet, with lean bulk, and gaining 2 pounds a MONTH should put you close in about 6 months or so.) THEN continue with the weights and try to drop some more of the fat.
    I agree with Commitment and Burnout.

MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Why does a guy who's 5'7 and 147 need to lose even more weight? That's a decent weight for someone who's that height. I'm 5'9 167 and I have a bit of belly fat but I'm not crazy overweight or morbidly obese or anything like that. He should focus on adding some muscle. That's what I'm doing. If he loses more weight he'll be 130. Which is way skinny.

I agree with Commitment and Burnout.
    Thank you guys for all the replies and advice, it means a lot. I read on here so many times to cut to 10-12 percent before bulking, and to use the mirror as a guide, so that's what I was trying to do. I guess the problem is that I have no muscle, so cutting further isn't going to help. I'll try eating at maintence or a slight increase and focus on lifting as you all advised. Just wish I didn't have to look like crap while doing nothing it, but oh well.

tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you guys for all the replies and advice, it means a lot. I read on here so many times to cut to 10-12 percent before bulking, and to use the mirror as a guide, so that's what I was trying to do. I guess the problem is that I have no muscle, so cutting further isn't going to help. I'll try eating at maintence or a slight increase and focus on lifting as you all advised. Just wish I didn't have to look like crap while doing nothing it, but oh well.
    What I always observe on here is people want to look "aesthetic" in no time. Societies view of aesthetic for males is near perfect composition for a natural.

Few people are aesthetic on this forum alone (bar a couple above, not missing you guys out) and this is a bodybuilding forum yet alone wider society. You ain't fat. You're a healthy and optimal weight with all it's benefits. Sure you ain't near the perfect shape but don't put yourself down, nearly everyone on earth ain't and so you dont need to compare yourslef to those that are. JUst work hard towards excellence in training and diet and graft as long as you want to edge closer to getting to "aesthetic"
    1/1/15: 93kg
    19/6/15 78.5kg
    27/6/15: 77kg
    3/7/15: after pre psmf 280g carb up: 76.5
    24/7/15 72.5kg (post psmf)
    6/8/15 71.25kg
    Goal:
    68kg or 30" waist, whichever comes first.
    Just keeping going, eating clean, training mean and getting lean ;)

Weight loss = (calories in < calories expended) x time, simple.

adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    we have the same stats and i am currently at 173 pounds.
    You fked up your diet and half assed your training. how much protein did you maintain from the start of your cut?
    I am half assing my training but i am on point on my diet and macros because i have an active physical job.
    Still need to hit the gym once i hit 170 and have 25- 30 more pounds to lose.
    Untrained Looking to get back to Novice| 5'7 173 pounds and down from 213 and 30% BF | 1500 cals crew | forever in deficit mode crew

Originally Posted by adi4fitness View Post
    we have the same stats and i am currently at 173 pounds.
    You fked up your diet and half assed your training. how much protein did you maintain from the start of your cut?
    I am half assing my training but i am on point on my diet and macros because i have an active physical job.
    Still need to hit the gym once i hit 170 and have 25- 30 more pounds to lose.
    I ate 1700-1800 calories a day, .04 grams of fat per lb, and 1.5 grams of protein per lb, I measured all my food w/ a food scale and dropped 34 lbs. I'm not understanding how I half assed my nutrition.
    I did the "fierce 5" workout routine 3 days a week, although some weeks i'll admit I didn't hit all 3 days. I'm not understanding how I half assed the training either.
    I put a lot of effort into losing this weight, both educating myself by reading and by putting what I learned to work, yet numerous individuals on here are telling me I half assed everything.

Originally Posted by tombaron View Post
    What I always observe on here is people want to look "aesthetic" in no time. Societies view of aesthetic for males is near perfect composition for a natural.

Few people are aesthetic on this forum alone (bar a couple above, not missing you guys out) and this is a bodybuilding forum yet alone wider society. You ain't fat. You're a healthy and optimal weight with all it's benefits. Sure you ain't near the perfect shape but don't put yourself down, nearly everyone on earth ain't and so you dont need to compare yourslef to those that are. JUst work hard towards excellence in training and diet and graft as long as you want to edge closer to getting to "aesthetic"
    Thanks for this post. A lot of people in real life have been complementing me on the weight I've lost over the months, but coming on here made and getting all this feedback, although harsh but very true, kinda made me feel like I haven't done anything and even more self conscious, especially multiple people telling me I need to talk to my doctor, I know I don't look good by any means, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. I'm not expecting to look super aesthetic anytime soon, just needed advice to point me in the right direction, which I'm seeing is to stop cutting and work on putting on muscle.

Thanks for this post. A lot of people in real life have been complementing me on the weight I've lost over the months, but coming on here made and getting all this feedback, although harsh but very true, kinda made me feel like I haven't done anything and even more self conscious, especially multiple people telling me I need to talk to my doctor, I know I don't look good by any means, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. I'm not expecting to look super aesthetic anytime soon, just needed advice to point me in the right direction, which I'm seeing is to stop cutting and work on putting on muscle.
    You don't look bad, man. It is just for that time line, we'd expect to see better gains. This is a bodybuilding website after all.

Don't be discouraged, just try and figure out what needs to change to reach your goals.

philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    losing 34 lbs in 3 months is a little intense - for yourself at least.
    That is averaging about 2.5lbs per week, and you only weighed an average of 163lbs in that time, meaning you were losing 1.6% of your bodyweight each week.
    When cutting, the general concensus I have found around these parts is to aim for 1% BW per week, or 1-2lbs. In both regards you way overstepped the boundaries so next time you are cutting, slow it down a little.

We can see that you know your stuff, so don't jeapardise muscle mass chasing too fast a cut. You know fat can only be metabolised so fast, and after that your body will use muscle mass for fuel.

V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50) V4kerker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You work on your nutrition 100% of the week, but your strength training only 43% of the week. Recommend you get your strength training above 50% for the week. May want to try a different strength training workout program. In crease your volume by just doing more sets and reps and shorten your rest periods to 30-45 seconds. All so your not going to bulk on during a cut. Good job on the fat lose.
    I move metal every step I take. RTHR 12/2009
    LTHR 01/2014

adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000) adi4fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    I ate 1700-1800 calories a day, .04 grams of fat per lb, and 1.5 grams of protein per lb, I measured all my food w/ a food scale and dropped 34 lbs. I'm not understanding how I half assed my nutrition.
    I did the "fierce 5" workout routine 3 days a week, although some weeks i'll admit I didn't hit all 3 days. I'm not understanding how I half assed the training either.
    I put a lot of effort into losing this weight, both educating myself by reading and by putting what I learned to work, yet numerous individuals on here are telling me I half assed everything.
    Wow if you indeed really eat 1.5 grams of protein per lb then congratz for sticking to your nutrition.
    It does not show as it should in your after pics , can you upload some before pics for perspective?. also with fierce 5 its just 5 reps and the way it is split its pretty easy to increase weight than say a full body routine like allpro's. You should have been pulling higher numbers on the rest of your lifts besides bench.
    your pics show you have a belly bulge that does not happen if you cut down properly with progressive overload in resistance training.

Can you show us your before pics? at 180 pounds? because if you were skinny fat and not just fat you did not have much muscle in the first place and going by your current pics it would be a progress indeed. If you were fat with some muscle then your lifts could have been higher.

If indeed every thing you said is true , and your before pictures are indeed fat and not just skinny fat . The best way is to just recomp.
    Last edited by adi4fitness; 07-27-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    Untrained Looking to get back to Novice| 5'7 173 pounds and down from 213 and 30% BF | 1500 cals crew | forever in deficit mode crew

bokentoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First off - Congrats on the weight loss! that's an awesome job in itself. I know everyone is different and shows differently, but i honestly can't tell that you've been in the gym based on your appearance.
    I don't know what weight you should be hitting to get rid of your stomach, but you could do with adding more muscle to your frame first.

I'd also like to get to having a flat stomach firstly, then abs secondly. I am targeting 180lbs where i think i should be able to achieve that. Maybe i'll have to go to 175lbs. However, if at any point i stop being able to increase what i can lift on a weekly basis or notice that everything else is shrinking other than my stomach, that's when i'll stop the deficit and go for bulking up before cutting again.

You want to look good for sure, but it's better to display a bit of a belly and muscular arms/legs/chest then to be all skin and bone trying to chase away the stomach that sticks out.
    I'm sure lots of people will agree with that. Besides, you can always cut again once you have gained some muscle if you're not satisfied. Strengthening your core in the mean time and maybe the next cut will be easier to display what you're after.

Alot of you are also saying it doesn't look at all like I've ever been in a gym, and I feel the same way, which is why its so frustrating. I will say though, that I look WAY better than I did at 180 lbs. When I was 180, I was so much bigger and way worse looking. It's frustrating that after 3 months of hard lifting, strict nutrition and weighing all my food, no cheat days, this is all I can show for it. On the other hand, 3 months isn't a very long time at all, so I guess I made good progress for 3 months time. And to be fair, my lifts weren't progressing much. I thought that since I was in a calorie deficit, I wouldn't be gaining muscle anyways, so my main focus was just to lift to preserve the muscle I did have while cutting. It's really tempting to keep cutting to at least 140 and slow bulk from there, though, as I feel I'll get discouraged if I increase calories slightly over maintenance and my stomach gets any bigger. I'm considering either, A, cut to 140, eat at maintenance for a few weeks to reverse diet/ get my metabolism up to speed, then slow bulk, or B, say screw it and just start putting on muscle now. Thoughts?

AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutistTrigger is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When is the last time you checked your body at? Did you check your body fat before you started dieting and working out?

BurnoutFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm considering either, A, cut to 140, eat at maintenance for a few weeks to reverse diet/ get my metabolism up to speed, then slow bulk, or B, say screw it and just start putting on muscle now. Thoughts?
    You have to make the decision for yourself.

I would advise starting a bulk now. You've already trimmed off a lot of the fat but need to put some muscle on to really make a difference. If you're training hard going over maintenance(as long as it's not out of control) won't add any fat it'll contribute to your gains. Men naturally store fat in their midsection so don't let that discourage you.

Best thing you can do is use the advice you are getting, make an informed decision and stick with it for a few weeks to determine if you're happy with that decision. Make sure to track your progress using pictures and measurements...everyone's different
    'Live Life One Rep At A Time'

Certified Personal Trainer

IG: @burnout_fit

burnoutfitnessapparel.com

MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MBoux2000 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by V4kerker View Post
    You work on your nutrition 100% of the week, but your strength training only 43% of the week. Recommend you get your strength training above 50% for the week. May want to try a different strength training workout program. In crease your volume by just doing more sets and reps and shorten your rest periods to 30-45 seconds. All so your not going to bulk on during a cut. Good job on the fat lose.
    Many beginner programs like fierce 5 and ICF 5x5 only recommend working out three days a week because it's full body compounds. I was confused about this before too but apparently otherwise you don't have enough rest.

Alot of you are also saying it doesn't look at all like I've ever been in a gym, and I feel the same way, which is why its so frustrating. I will say though, that I look WAY better than I did at 180 lbs. When I was 180, I was so much bigger and way worse looking. It's frustrating that after 3 months of hard lifting, strict nutrition and weighing all my food, no cheat days, this is all I can show for it. On the other hand, 3 months isn't a very long time at all, so I guess I made good progress for 3 months time. And to be fair, my lifts weren't progressing much. I thought that since I was in a calorie deficit, I wouldn't be gaining muscle anyways, so my main focus was just to lift to preserve the muscle I did have while cutting. It's really tempting to keep cutting to at least 140 and slow bulk from there, though, as I feel I'll get discouraged if I increase calories slightly over maintenance and my stomach gets any bigger. I'm considering either, A, cut to 140, eat at maintenance for a few weeks to reverse diet/ get my metabolism up to speed, then slow bulk, or B, say screw it and just start putting on muscle now. Thoughts?
    I feel like I look like I've never been in the gym either despite working out casually for a year and a half. I'm just starting to lift more seriously now. I know how you feel man.

If you weren't even attempting to push or increase the weights then no wonder you haven't developed very far.
    Even in cutting myself (from 228 to 184 since January this year) I have increased all my lifts following stronglifts 5x5, and have only recently in the last month or two actually started to plataeu
    My squat is now at 135kg, deadlifts 145kg, ohp 55kg, bench 90kg and bent over rows 95kg. While I'm not adding weights to each exercise each week anymore, I am adding at least 2.5kg to at least one of them every week or 2, and I'm still on a fairly aggressive cut (just over 1.5lbs per week) with cardio everyday (5 miles @ 6m53s/mile) i also increase the speed of my cardio every other week or two (back in Jan I was only "running" 3 miles per day at 10mins/mile)

It's about pushing yourself and adding the element of progressive overload, regardless of whether you want to cut, bulk or maintain.

Originally Posted by philgriffiths View Post
    If you weren't even attempting to push or increase the weights then no wonder you haven't developed very far.
    Even in cutting myself (from 228 to 184 since January this year) I have increased all my lifts following stronglifts 5x5, and have only recently in the last month or two actually started to plataeu
    My squat is now at 135kg, deadlifts 145kg, ohp 55kg, bench 90kg and bent over rows 95kg. While I'm not adding weights to each exercise each week anymore, I am adding at least 2.5kg to at least one of them every week or 2, and I'm still on a fairly aggressive cut (just over 1.5lbs per week) with cardio everyday (5 miles @ 6m53s/mile) i also increase the speed of my cardio every other week or two (back in Jan I was only "running" 3 miles per day at 10mins/mile)

It's about pushing yourself and adding the element of progressive overload, regardless of whether you want to cut, bulk or maintain.
    Absolutely beautiful.