Registered User IannIonRedrum32's Avatar
    IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I don't know where to put this and misc is all trolls...It's about PT

I turn 15 tomorrow and am in a program called Civil Air Patrol...if you haven't heard of it, it's the USAF auxilary, similar in some sort to a JROTC program (that's the best way to explain it) Tonight was PT night and I did 44 crunches/sit-ups in one minute. Is that good/impressive? I still feel like I could have done more and I would like to strengthen my core more so I can push harder. I'm not terrible at my PT tests...I can do 30-40 pushups in a minute. My best mile time was just under 5 minutes. I wouldn't say i'm the most fit person, I have quite amount of chub. I used to work out quite regularly, but are there any ways you can suggest I can improve or how to improve? (PS- I am a female)

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IannIonRedrum32 View Post
    I turn 15 tomorrow and am in a program called Civil Air Patrol...if you haven't heard of it, it's the USAF auxilary, similar in some sort to a JROTC program (that's the best way to explain it) Tonight was PT night and I did 44 crunches/sit-ups in one minute. Is that good/impressive? I still feel like I could have done more and I would like to strengthen my core more so I can push harder. I'm not terrible at my PT tests...I can do 30-40 pushups in a minute. My best mile time was just under 5 minutes. I wouldn't say i'm the most fit person, I have quite amount of chub. I used to work out quite regularly, but are there any ways you can suggest I can improve or how to improve? (PS- I am a female)
    Impressive numbers for female. I didn't see the last part right away, and thought you are young man. I was going to suggest to add upper body work. It is funny how I figured that 15 year old boy is a little bit like a girl. And then I noticed that you are actually female. Young man, being as fit as you are, would do over 60 pushups in a minute (I used to do close to 90), and struggle hard to get anywhere near 40 sit-ups, because of added upper body weight.

I don't know what to suggest, because like I said, your numbers are great. I don't believe you carry much "chub", you are just hard on yourself. Keep pushing!

IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IannIonRedrum32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    Impressive numbers for female. I didn't see the last part right away, and thought you are young man. I was going to suggest to add upper body work. It is funny how I figured that 15 year old boy is a little bit like a girl. And then I noticed that you are actually female. Young man, being as fit as you are, would do over 60 pushups in a minute (I used to do close to 90), and struggle hard to get anywhere near 40 sit-ups, because of added upper body weight.

I don't know what to suggest, because like I said, your numbers are great. I don't believe you carry much "chub", you are just hard on yourself. Keep pushing!
    Well, my father was in the USMC and never had what people call 'abs' (even though abs are the abdominal muscle and im preeeeeeeeeeetty sure everyone has them, haha...but the tecnicalities arent important right now) He never had a visible 6 pack or anything but was very fit. Genetics probably of course come into play. I don't consider myself fit, but I probably am extremely hard on myself. I do as well, if not better than every single male I have come across in my squadrons so far in CAP (granted, thats only about 30 or so Cadets) But I do not have a small shape so I guess that's why I just assume it's all fat and chub. Just as most people, I have self-esteem issues and I lack confidence quite often and it's hard when everyone assumes you can't meet the standards or needs of something. Thank you so much for your response (sorry if it got a bit deep at the end there)

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can always improve. What's the max score for each? As for the best way to improve, just get stronger. It doesn't matter where you are today, what matters is where you'll be in a year, in 5 years, and in 10 years.

Start doing PT on your own 3 times a week. 5 sets of push ups, 5 sets of sit ups, 5 sets of body weight squats and try doing pull up progressions (look up the steps to be able to do pull ups). Do each rep perfect in training. If you have a form break down, stop the set. I recommend starting with 5 sets of 10 for each, and every other week adding a rep to each set. It's slow, but you're in no rush. By the time you're ready to enlist you'll be putting the guys to shame.

BTW, 30 push ups for a girl is pretty good at your age. Most guys that where in the future soldier program with me couldn't do that many. Of course they got to 50, since I think that's the minimum to join. But I maxed out all my tests so I didn't have to worrry about that. Good luck
    "Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight ill ever know...
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day"

Originally Posted by amar654 View Post
    You can always improve. What's the max score for each? As for the best way to improve, just get stronger. It doesn't matter where you are today, what matters is where you'll be in a year, in 5 years, and in 10 years.

Start doing PT on your own 3 times a week. 5 sets of push ups, 5 sets of sit ups, 5 sets of body weight squats and try doing pull up progressions (look up the steps to be able to do pull ups). Do each rep perfect in training. If you have a form break down, stop the set. I recommend starting with 5 sets of 10 for each, and every other week adding a rep to each set. It's slow, but you're in no rush. By the time you're ready to enlist you'll be putting the guys to shame.

BTW, 30 push ups for a girl is pretty good at your age. Most guys that where in the future soldier program with me couldn't do that many. Of course they got to 50, since I think that's the minimum to join. But I maxed out all my tests so I didn't have to worrry about that. Good luck
    First off, thank you for the outstanding advice and also congratulations on your accomplishments. I will keep these things in mind. There isn't a max score (yet) because everything is changing with our PT regs. Thank you for your input!