heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10)

MCT Oil = Hungrier throughout the day?

Hey all! So, I started supplementing MCT Oil for the mental/focus benefits (although if it turned out to help me with fat loss, great), 1 tbsp a day. I'm NOT doing keto. For the first few days I was excited to experience some great appetite suppression--but now (about 10 days of taking it every morning) I find I am absolutely insatiable from lunch time onward.

Diet wise, I incorporated MCT oil into my macros as a fat even though, yes, I know it works more like a carb. I kept my calories the same, meaning that I reduced other dietary fats to compensate for the 14g of MCT oil in the morning. Current diet looks like:

Cal: 1700
    C/p/f: 35/35/30

Has anyone else experienced this? I wonder if it's because my heavy-fat morning leads to less fat during the day so less satiety? Or are the metabolic effects really that intense? From what I read they're minimal at best at that level of consumption. All I know is, I caved and ended up way overeating a couple of days last week which is super out of character for me in general. I just can't get full, and the MCT oil is the only thing that's really changed.

Thoughts?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Why do you think MCT oil acts like a carb or acts differently than any other fat (assuming you don't have liver/biliary issues)?

heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10) heywakeupami is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A few resources describe it as such, but here's one:

"MCT's energy sustaining powers can be explained as follows: when MCT oil is metabolized in the body, it behaves more like a carbohydrate than a fat. Remember that the fuel of preference for the body is carbohydrate. Unlike other fats, MCT oil does not go through the lymphatic system. Instead, it is transported directly to the liver where it is metabolized so it releases energy like a carbohydrate and creates lots of ketones (which can be used for fuel) in the process."

bodybuilding.com/content/mct-oil-is-it-the-ultimate-way-to-burn-fat.html

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Another classic bodybuilding.com article.

That said, you are correct, there are some differences. For a more thorough overview of the physiology, see: http://www.meltorganic.com/wp-conten...plications.pdf , and for a review of some of the promising literature see: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.full.pdf+html and https://www.researchgate.net/publica...trolled_Trials

It has some promising features that are enticing but I don't recall reading anything regarding helping mental focus and clarity. I would not consider it to act as a carbohydrate, and I would not be overly enthusiastic about the relative small differences seen in the studies cited in the reviews above.

Lastly, they have some hunger suppressing properties in some studies but again nothing too terribly convincing, and if you are finding that they are not working for you then the best think to do probably is to come up with a different strategy.

All that said, you are probably hungry because you are only eating 1700 kcal per day; that's a rather small amount. What's your height, weight, activity level, and estimated maintenance?

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post

All that said, you are probably hungry because you are only eating 1700 kcal per day; that's a rather small amount. What's your height, weight, activity level, and estimated maintenance?
    Thanks for those resources. Super helpful.

With the resources I have at my disposal and the experimentation I've done over the last year, 1700 is about a 200-250 calorie deficit for me, so not huge, but I could be wrong. I'm 5'6", 134lbs, moderate weight training 4-5 times a week with 30 min low intensity steady state cardio 5-6 days a week. Otherwise, I work a sedentary job. I estimate my maintenance to be at or around 1900-2000. My latest InBody readout (however much faith I can put in that) has my BMR around 1425.

Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mikeez0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If your oil costs more than olive oil you are probably scammed and wasted money.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would advise against going towards bb.com articles for accurate information OP.

Originally Posted by heywakeupami View Post
    Thanks for those resources. Super helpful.

With the resources I have at my disposal and the experimentation I've done over the last year, 1700 is about a 200-250 calorie deficit for me, so not huge, but I could be wrong. I'm 5'6", 134lbs, moderate weight training 4-5 times a week with 30 min low intensity steady state cardio 5-6 days a week. Otherwise, I work a sedentary job. I estimate my maintenance to be at or around 1900-2000. My latest InBody readout (however much faith I can put in that) has my BMR around 1425.
    How much weight have you lost over the last 4 weeks?

CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50) CresMagni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not sure if it causes you to be hungrier throughout the day or not, but I would advise that you are very careful with the amount of MCT oil you use. Disaster pants are no joke! haha

Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Clint18Robin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The MCT wouldnt act like an energy source(carb/glucose) unless you're in a fat metabolism state/Ketosis. If your body is burning carbs and glucose for fuel then the MCT is nothing more than extra fat in your diet.
    Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    How much weight have you lost over the last 4 weeks?
    Right at 1lb lost on the scale.

Originally Posted by Clint18Robin View Post
    The MCT wouldnt act like an energy source(carb/glucose) unless you're in a fat metabolism state/Ketosis. If your body is burning carbs and glucose for fuel then the MCT is nothing more than extra fat in your diet.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Originally Posted by CresMagni View Post
    Not sure if it causes you to be hungrier throughout the day or not, but I would advise that you are very careful with the amount of MCT oil you use. Disaster pants are no joke! haha
    Yikes! lol. No issues yet, thank goodness.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I do notice some mental benefits from eating 10 gram virgin coconut oil. Reminds of having a cup of coffee. Might be coming from the MCTs.