Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 134
  1. #91
    Registered User straightrippin3's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2011
    Age: 28
    Posts: 4,271
    Rep Power: 7106
    straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000) straightrippin3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    straightrippin3 is offline
    Anyone who cant take the time to read that clearly isnt going to reap the benefits of a classical education
    Reply With Quote

  2. #92
    Registered User davik's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Location: Australia
    Age: 23
    Posts: 6,144
    Rep Power: 10294
    davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) davik is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    davik is offline
    op i recommended mortimer adler's great books program/reading list. it's probably one of the only ones for all encompassing classical education. jordan peterson's works exploring great thinkers and stories about human nature are great too if you cant be bothered reading for the next decade
    Reply With Quote

  3. #93
    ส็็็็็็็ ็็็็็็็ ็็็ ส็็็ Suqat's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Posts: 1,619
    Rep Power: 6921
    Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suqat is offline
    Originally Posted by davik View Post
    op i recommended mortimer adler's great books program/reading list. it's probably one of the only ones for all encompassing classical education. jordan peterson's works exploring great thinkers and stories about human nature are great too if you cant be bothered reading for the next decade
    Would rep if I wasn't on recharge. His list is pretty much what I have been reading. Thank you for the list.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #94
    Some idiot MrBourbon's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2014
    Posts: 17,792
    Rep Power: 376253
    MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MrBourbon has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    MrBourbon is offline
    Originally Posted by Foreverbulker View Post
    I saw that Sapiens got recommended itt. I would also recommend Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow



    While Sapiens focused on the past, Homo Deus focuses on the future focuses on the future of humanity.
    My copy of Sapiens arrived two days ago, it's up next for me pretty excited.
    Smooth Seas don't make Strong Sailors. Keep your head up.

    Blowing out someone else's candle wont make yours glow any brighter (no homo).
    Reply With Quote

  5. #95
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by Suqat View Post
    We don't know if many of these modern day books will stand the test of time. There are lots of books that have. If you want to spend as much time productively, reading GREAT literature, then read what is guaranteed to be great already. That is my only point. Later on you can look back and read books that are currently in production. You don't need to have a library that is filled with only classics, but the majority should be.

    As for the rest: There are MANY books that deal with society's issues of depression and poverty, (sexual frustration and self image, are you a girl? Those are things that you would find in a book written by Jane Austen.).

    Also, about attitude. You seem to think that I am judgemental because others you have meet are judgemental. That is stupid and pretentious. Stop comparing me to others.

    You are really judgemental and the epitome of what you claim to despise.
    This post reeks of the literary snobbishness I talked about earlier. People who read chiefly classics aren't snobs because they read it, but because they tell you what they read is better for you, what they learn is of more quality and makes you happier and all around a better person (as your OP suggested). It's a load of bs. Yeah you can diversify what you read to include a wide spectrum of works, but telling people that they should read mostly this type of books and giving them a list of promises that reading them will do this and this to you. Nonsense.
    Reading is good, period, regardless of the subject matter, even ****ty books have own value. Read what speaks to you personally, if it's old books, fine, if it's not, equally fine. A book doesn't need the veneer of antiquity to be good, but it has to speak personally to you, is relevant to your life otherwise it's just a series of letters chained together.

    I never said you were judgemental, I said you generalize - about modern culture and how obsessed we are with the Kardashians and Kanye, that's absolute hearsay. People who are obsessed with those people are the minority of society's dredge, what about the rest of the 7 billions people? When you bring up this statement, you're making a false assumption to support your argument and that is both anti-intellectial, lazy, and the inclusion of that checklist of things that you claim would happen if you read classics amounts to something akin to a scam, albeit intellectual one . you could have made a solid point without it, I'd still disagree with you but I would do so respectfully. What I despise is an argument that stands on a false premise and arrogance, that somehow everybody else is stupid and perverse and materialistic. There are many people who are more accomplished, smarter, kinder than both you and I and they don't need to read classics to become who they are. That is a fact.

    You have one guy who tells people they should read only old books, because they are better and that the whole society and culture is terrible and they will rise above it by reading these books. Another guy tells them that they can read books they want to read because reading is good, and one of those books will change their lives and it doesn't even have to be a classic.
    And I'm the pretentious one?

    The concepts of judgments and generalization are very explicitly discussed by modern literature, and I hope one day you understand the distinction.
    Last edited by Azn00Superman; 07-26-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  6. #96
    tcirtsiD District's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10,123
    Rep Power: 11574
    District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    District is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    This post reeks of the literary snobbishness I talked about earlier. People who read chiefly classics aren't snobs because they read it, but because they tell you what they read is better for you, what they learn is of more quality and makes you happier and all around a better person (as your OP suggested). It's a load of bs. Yeah you can diversify what you read to include a wide spectrum of works, but telling people that they should read mostly this type of books and giving them a list of promises that reading them will do this and this to you. Nonsense.
    Reading is good, period, regardless of the subject matter, even ****ty books have own value. Read what speaks to you personally, if it's old books, fine, if it's not, equally fine. A book doesn't need the veneer of antiquity to to good, but it has to speak personally to you, is relevant to your life otherwise it's just a series of letters chained together.

    I never said you were judgemental, I said you generalize - about modern culture and how obsessed we are with the Kardashians and Kanye, that's absolute hearsay. People who are obsessed with those people are the minority of society dredged, what about the rest of the 7 billions people? When you bring up this statement, you're making a false assumption to support your argument and that is both anti-intellectial, lazy, and the inclusion of that checklist of things that you claim would happen if you read classics amounts to something akin to an scam, albeit intellectual one. But I commend the fact that you edit your OP to exclude these points, which is a good thing.
    You have one guy who tells people they should read only old books, because they are better and that the whole society and culture is terrible and they will rise above it by reading these books. Another guy tells them that they can read books they want to read because reading is good, and one of those books will change their lives and it doesn't even have to be a classic.
    And I'm the pretentious one?
    Lol at this phaggot, mad at the world cause he doesn't want to read a few books people say will change you.


    Oh look at meeee, I'm 27 years old and I ignore thousands of years of human cultivation CAUSE YOU'RE A LITERALLY SNOB. Get your SJW pussy ass back to the tranny orgy you came from before I smack you upside your head boyo.


    Reply With Quote

  7. #97
    Banned Smashiin's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Maryland, United States
    Posts: 3,283
    Rep Power: 0
    Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Smashiin is offline
    Great post OP. I once read a book called "The motivation manifesto". It really changed my views on my inner self and lead me to start meditating. I feel like meditation was the key to love and like myself and the source to my newfound confidence. It really changed my outlook on life.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #98
    OBE TheBrentmeister's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2012
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Posts: 7,334
    Rep Power: 14741
    TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheBrentmeister is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TheBrentmeister is offline
    Repped - great post OP
    ☆☆☆ - υк cяєω - ☆☆☆
    Reply With Quote

  9. #99
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by District View Post
    Lol at this phaggot, mad at the world cause he doesn't want to read a few books people say will change you.


    Oh look at meeee, I'm 27 years old and I ignore thousands of years of human cultivation CAUSE YOU'RE A LITERALLY SNOB. Get your SJW pussy ass back to the tranny orgy you came from before I smack you upside your head boyo.


    LOL don't even deserve a response boyo. At least the OP can put together a whole argument. You're the village idiot that keep drooling and mumbling his nonsense. You should take OP's advice and go read. Actually go get a primary education and learn basic critical thinking skill.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  10. #100
    Registered User NEXTEPICBULG91's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2014
    Location: Florida, United States
    Age: 31
    Posts: 725
    Rep Power: 3603
    NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NEXTEPICBULG91 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    NEXTEPICBULG91 is offline
    Goldfish....
    I totally agree with everything youre saying. I dont worry about what society is doing though l, just what I can do to improve myself. I def agree with you on the thought processes of the mind. I just overcame a huge bout with OCD and am willing to see your blueprint. Pm me if anything
    San Diego Chargers and Minny Twolves all day baby!!

    Suny Buffalo Reppin!!
    Reply With Quote

  11. #101
    tcirtsiD District's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10,123
    Rep Power: 11574
    District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    District is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    LOL don't even deserve a response boyo. At least the OP can put together a whole argument. You're the village idiot that keep drooling and mumbling his nonsense. You should take OP's advice and go read. Actually go get a primary education and learn basic critical thinking skill.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #102
    B/S/D-240/405/535 YasiinBey's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 6,389
    Rep Power: 3345
    YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) YasiinBey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    YasiinBey is offline
    goldfish

    hmmm interesting, op im interested
    Electrical Engineering crew
    Keepin it real always crew
    Cologne Crew
    Broke now but i'll be richer than most of my m8's crew
    Keep your fkin distance and leave me alone crew
    Reply With Quote

  13. #103
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by District View Post
    I wonder what you typed in Google to find this gif, probably "District and his boyfriend"
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  14. #104
    tcirtsiD District's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10,123
    Rep Power: 11574
    District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    District is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    I wonder what you typed in Google to find this gif, probably "District and his boyfriend"
    Actually it was "District and Azn00Supermans mom".
    Reply With Quote

  15. #105
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by District View Post
    Actually it was "District and Azn00Supermans mom".
    I googled "District's mother" and found this instead. it explains why you're such a dummy.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  16. #106
    tcirtsiD District's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10,123
    Rep Power: 11574
    District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    District is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    I googled "District's mother" and found this instead. it explains why you're such a dummy.




    AAHAHAHAAHAAH you are such a fkin dweeb that you couldn't even come back with something good. Pathetic, way to ruin the fun. Negs for life.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #107
    ส็็็็็็็ ็็็็็็็ ็็็ ส็็็ Suqat's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Posts: 1,619
    Rep Power: 6921
    Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suqat is offline
    I have been really busy lately, and haven't been able to respond or misc whatsoever in the last 3 days. I will write an update today.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #108
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by District View Post



    AAHAHAHAAHAAH you are such a fkin dweeb that you couldn't even come back with something good. Pathetic, way to ruin the fun. Negs for life.
    LMAO you fuking retard. You're the fool who can't argue worth a damn and resorted to insults first. Then you lost even your ability to insult and came back with a gif. Bitch, you don't even HAVE a come back. Who are you spitting your dad's sperm at? Turn your cheek and walk back to the facility you belong to. Fuking pleb.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  19. #109
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by Suqat View Post
    I have been really busy lately, and haven't been able to respond or misc whatsoever in the last 3 days. I will write an update today.
    Come at me bro. Srs disagreement or not it's still better than talking to that retard above.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  20. #110
    ส็็็็็็็ ็็็็็็็ ็็็ ส็็็ Suqat's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Posts: 1,619
    Rep Power: 6921
    Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suqat is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    wall of text
    I don't know why you think I am snobbish. I really am not. Perhaps it is because it is a message board discussion and not a real life discussion.

    I do take issue with the idea that all books are equal, or that reading bad books is as valuable as reading good books. That is bull and everyone knows it. Read what you want, but there are books that are better than others, and those are more worthy of being read than the others.

    There are lots of good books that are modern. However, this is a thread about a classical education; as such, the reading lists will be heavily focused on classical literature. If you disagree that is fine. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OLDER IS BETTER.

    The generalization about the Kardashians and Kanye was one example, I could bring up a lot of different examples. There are tons of bad comedies, plays, social and political movements, as well as bad vices like laziness, slothfulness, lust, greed, etc that are encouraged and condoned by modern media and modern literature. That was my point. The people that enjoy, or passively condone it, consist of a large population, particularly younger demographics.

    Edit: I can't write a super long argument rn, this is just my opinions laid out. Later I will write an actual response as to why I think this way. I will also write a "blueprint". My office is having issues with ac and it is around 45 degrees here. My hands are stiff and I can't type well at all.
    Last edited by Suqat; 07-27-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote

  21. #111
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by Suqat View Post
    I don't know why you think I am snobbish. I really am not. Perhaps it is because it is a message board discussion and not a real life discussion.

    I do take issue with the idea that all books are equal, or that reading bad books is as valuable as reading good books. That is bull and everyone knows it. Read what you want, but there are books that are better than others, and those are more worthy of being read than the others.

    There are lots of good books that are modern. However, this is a thread about a classical education; as such, the reading lists will be heavily focused on classical literature. If you disagree that is fine. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OLDER IS BETTER.

    The generalization about the Kardashians and Kanye was one example, I could bring up a lot of different examples. There are tons of bad comedies, plays, social and political movements, as well as bad vices like laziness, slothfulness, lust, greed, etc that are encouraged and condoned by modern media and modern literature. That was my point. The people that enjoy, or passively condone it, consist of a large population, particularly younger demographics.

    Edit: I can't write a super long argument rn, this is just my opinions laid out. Later I will write an actual response as to why I think this way. I will also write a "blueprint". My office is having issues with ac and it is around 45 degrees here. My hands are stiff and I can't type well at all.
    The core of my issues with your argument is that premodern times seem to be immune to vices like greed, laziness, lust. They're not. It's human nature, people had always been the same way as they are centuries ago. If you read works from authors like Austen you'd realize that people back then are also afflicted with vanity, greed and other flaws. It isn't any different. The problem is you're being selective with your perception of premodern and modern. This affects your view on books as well. You're comparing the best of the best of classics vs the whole bibliography of the modern world. It's not a fair assessment. The amount of books written in modern time, due to the high rate of literacy is tremendously vast, and some of those books are excellent, and it's not hard to find them.
    Yes, some books are more valuable than the others, but very few books are entirely useless from a liberal study point of view. For example Twilight, yes it's a terrible book but you can learn a lot about adolescent female's state of mind, and what they perceive about the idea of sexuality and relationship. It might be useless to the average person, but you're indulging in liberal art, so that information isn't useless.
    It seems we can't reconcile on the differences of opinions regarding what to read, but I think putting the stake of your whole reading experience on classics isn't healthy, and I advocate a person to read widely.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  22. #112
    Registered User clysdale's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
    Age: 34
    Posts: 587
    Rep Power: 386
    clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50) clysdale will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    clysdale is offline
    Before I offer any critiques or commentary, do you make a distinction between a classical and conventional education?
    Reply With Quote

  23. #113
    tcirtsiD District's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2010
    Age: 27
    Posts: 10,123
    Rep Power: 11574
    District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) District is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    District is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    LMAO you fuking retard. You're the fool who can't argue worth a damn and resorted to insults first. Then you lost even your ability to insult and came back with a gif. Bitch, you don't even HAVE a come back. Who are you spitting your dad's sperm at? Turn your cheek and walk back to the facility you belong to. Fuking pleb.



    Argue with an imbecile......you are beneath me and do not deserve what I have to share. You're lucky Suqat even bothers with you.
    Reply With Quote

  24. #114
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by District View Post


    Argue with an imbecile......you are beneath me and do not deserve what I have to share. You're lucky Suqat even bothers with you.
    LOL you're out of your element here boyo. Shoo! Insect.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

  25. #115
    Banned Smashiin's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Maryland, United States
    Posts: 3,283
    Rep Power: 0
    Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000) Smashiin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Smashiin is offline
    Self help books do help some people find out who they truly are. Go soul searching and dig deep and then become that person who you want to be.
    Reply With Quote

  26. #116
    ส็็็็็็็ ็็็็็็็ ็็็ ส็็็ Suqat's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Posts: 1,619
    Rep Power: 6921
    Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suqat is offline
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    The core of my issues with your argument is that premodern times seem to be immune to vices like greed, laziness, lust. They're not. It's human nature, people had always been the same way as they are centuries ago. If you read works from authors like Austen you'd realize that people back then are also afflicted with vanity, greed and other flaws. It isn't any different. The problem is you're being selective with your perception of premodern and modern. This affects your view on books as well. You're comparing the best of the best of classics vs the whole bibliography of the modern world. It's not a fair assessment. The amount of books written in modern time, due to the high rate of literacy is tremendously vast, and some of those books are excellent, and it's not hard to find them.
    Yes, some books are more valuable than the others, but very few books are entirely useless from a liberal study point of view. For example Twilight, yes it's a terrible book but you can learn a lot about adolescent female's state of mind, and what they perceive about the idea of sexuality and relationship. It might be useless to the average person, but you're indulging in liberal art, so that information isn't useless.
    It seems we can't reconcile on the differences of opinions regarding what to read, but I think putting the stake of your whole reading experience on classics isn't healthy, and I advocate a person to read widely.
    Nah, I agree with pretty much everything you just said. I agree that there are lots of good books from modern times. I am not denying that. I am simply making a point about a classical education. My idea of a classical education has a heavy focus on history and philosophy, so my choice of reading material is focused on lots of philosophy and historical literature that influenced those said philosophers. That is the main reason I am condoning that literature for this thread. Hell, my entire OP wasn't even about literature, it was about expanding your horizons (Aka, learn to enjoy learning, and start learning.), learning how to think, rationalize properly, learning efficiently, and not selectively filling your mind with exclusively trash (In other words, spend some time away from the misc.). Good literature is good literature, period, regardless of the time it was written.

    Also, no matter what you say, I will never read twilight.( A good book on dating would be Models by Mark Manson. But that is about as much dating advice I will ever read about lol. ) I do think that there is still more value to reading a better piece of literature, such as LoTR, All Quiet on the Western Front, or 1984. They are just, better, idk what else to say. They are more enjoyable reads for me.

    In the end, I don't think we aren't really disagreeing, we are simply approaching it differently. I am certain that, if we discussed it out for an hour, we would easily come to the same conclusion. We simply have different tastes in literature, that is about it. I don't really read fiction, you do. I read history and philosophy, you don't (as much, or your reading isn't as focused on those subjects.). We prioritize different types of books, but there is nothing wrong with that at all. At least we are vicarious readers.
    Where do you live btw?
    Reply With Quote

  27. #117
    Unfadeable digitalchi's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Maryland, United States
    Posts: 14,832
    Rep Power: 35633
    digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digitalchi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    digitalchi is offline
    waiting for a miscer to confirm its worth reading
    No soda crew
    Always pick 5 crew
    Time to cut crew
    Photography crew
    Reply With Quote

  28. #118
    ส็็็็็็็ ็็็็็็็ ็็็ ส็็็ Suqat's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Posts: 1,619
    Rep Power: 6921
    Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suqat is offline
    Originally Posted by clysdale View Post
    Before I offer any critiques or commentary, do you make a distinction between a classical and conventional education?
    I think I need to explain, in more detail, what I mean by a classical education. When I say classical I mean a diverse education that makes you a rounded person, not much more than that. Everyone seems to be hung up on that particular point. I will make a thread tonight and will explain my ideas on the subject, and you can critique me then.
    Reply With Quote

  29. #119
    ส็็็็็็็ ็็็็็็็ ็็็ ส็็็ Suqat's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2015
    Posts: 1,619
    Rep Power: 6921
    Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000) Suqat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Suqat is offline
    Originally Posted by digitalchi View Post
    waiting for a miscer to confirm its worth reading
    It is, As a Man Thinketh is a great book that should be a must read.
    Reply With Quote

  30. #120
    Registered User Azn00Superman's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 30
    Posts: 6,182
    Rep Power: 31974
    Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Azn00Superman is offline
    Originally Posted by Suqat View Post
    Nah, I agree with pretty much everything you just said. I agree that there are lots of good books from modern times. I am not denying that. I am simply making a point about a classical education. My idea of a classical education has a heavy focus on history and philosophy, so my choice of reading material is focused on lots of philosophy and historical literature that influenced those said philosophers. That is the main reason I am condoning that literature for this thread. Hell, my entire OP wasn't even about literature, it was about expanding your horizons (Aka, learn to enjoy learning, and start learning.), learning how to think, rationalize properly, learning efficiently, and not selectively filling your mind with exclusively trash (In other words, spend some time away from the misc.). Good literature is good literature, period, regardless of the time it was written.

    Also, no matter what you say, I will never read twilight.( A good book on dating would be Models by Mark Manson. But that is about as much dating advice I will ever read about lol. ) I do think that there is still more value to reading a better piece of literature, such as LoTR, All Quiet on the Western Front, or 1984. They are just, better, idk what else to say. They are more enjoyable reads for me.

    In the end, I don't think we aren't really disagreeing, we are simply approaching it differently. I am certain that, if we discussed it out for an hour, we would easily come to the same conclusion. We simply have different tastes in literature, that is about it. I don't really read fiction, you do. I read history and philosophy, you don't (as much, or your reading isn't as focused on those subjects.). We prioritize different types of books, but there is nothing wrong with that at all. At least we are vicarious readers.
    Where do you live btw?
    That's a very reasonable breh. Respect.
    But yeah I read a lot of fiction, but I read a lot of nonfiction too, one of my top five books is a nonfiction actually. I read across all genres but I do so out of necessity to learn storytelling and writing skill. But I agree that reading classic is good, as is reading in general.
    You should join the book thread breh, you'd fit right in srs.
    And I'm gonna place As the man Thinketh on my to read list, cuz it was recommended by MrBourbon here and we liked a lot of the same books. I'm sure there's a reason why many stand by it.
    I live in cali breh. Wbu?
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

    MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts