mestek is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face Going off keto to get in shape?

Hello everyone,

I started keto on the 8th of last March, back then I was 175 cm (5'9") tall and weighted 102.5 kg (226 lbs) at 24 years old.
    I guess my results were really nice since I was really overweight (or even obese if you'd like)

Duration: 4 months
    Weight loss: 25 Kgs (50 lbs)
    Current body fat percentage: 20.3%
    Current weight: 77 Kgs (170 lbs)
    Height: 1.75 m (5'9")

So yeah I pretty much looked very different by the end of those 4 months.
    It's worth mentioning I plateaued a little and had to change to a "your usual salad and low fat diet" for two weeks and had one week off keto for the sake of having a break nothing more.
    But I still have more BF than needed and a considerable amount of stubborn belly fat is still there, measuring around my navel it's 96 cm (38 inches)

Lately, colleagues at work (Drs. mainly) have been cautioning me about keeping losing weight, and when argued that my body fat percentage is still relatively high they said then you need to work out, not keep a caloric deficit on a diet.

To get in shape I tried working out while on keto but aside from that doing resistance was extremely hard for a beginner like me while on keto, I did not feel I was progressing in anyway and I was not losing as much weight when I wasn't working out.

Hence a friend recommended a nutritionist/coach, and I went to see him.

I did an in-body composition at his clinic, targeted 7 Kgs to be lost of fat in order to have less than 17% of BF, normally he recommended that the water percentage in my body needs increasing because I was on keto and he asked me to workout 4-5 times a week, 30 minutes on the treadmill and elliptical, followed by 4 super sets on 8 machines (12 reps).

When it came to nutrition he recommended 1500 calories (still there's a deficit) to be distributed as: no less than 700 from protein (never beyond 750) and 800 from fats and carbs (never over and never below 400). He also handed a me few papers with common food and their calories (like I needed that after all this time on keto ).
    PS: Later on, his assistant for nutrition kept telling me not to try and be creative regarding calories and "stick to the paper please" when I asked her if I'd like to add the skin in chicken to my quota of carbs and fats calories.

---- Anyway, I just wanna hear you guys out! ----

I'm pretty confused, I was relishing the prospect of adding fruits and potassium rich food to my diet after this much time on keto, and I believe that keeping a deficit won't make me gain fat weight anyway right? right guys?
    However his assistant attitude towards the food out of her list isn't encouraging at all.

I wasn't plateauing when I went to him and it's been only 2 days since I started incorporating carbs to my diet so there's still time to save me even though I'm definitely out of ketosis now

If you're recommending going back to keto please give your advice for losing that damn belly fat and how to get in shape while on keto

Sorry for the long thread but I do appreciate all your input

Cheers,
    Peter

Up?

thefolenangel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well it really depends what do you want?

If you aim for muscles, start bulking, you will see that once you get a bit of muscle they will balance out your fats and you will look OK.

If you want to be shredded, just continue ketto and do weight/cardio training. You don't have to bench 100kg, as long as you bench, it will be OK.

Originally Posted by thefolenangel View Post
    Well it really depends what do you want?

If you aim for muscles, start bulking, you will see that once you get a bit of muscle they will balance out your fats and you will look OK.

If you want to be shredded, just continue ketto and do weight/cardio training. You don't have to bench 100kg, as long as you bench, it will be OK.
    Ok I see, I still have a small beer belly that I want to take away, so I guess I'll go back to keto (maybe increase my protein intake a bit) and combine it with the training schedule I was given or do you have something else to recommend me?