Thread: UL+ Routine

LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000)

UL+ Routine

I am almost finished my mini-cut and 4-day UL 7 week mesocycle I am running which involves straight sets and increasing volume every week then deload. One of the problems I am facing is that as the volume for each exercise increases the workout get to long. I have come up with a 5 day version that is the same volume but re-arranged exercises to have an extra upper day so each are shorter. I am also going to add some variation in the progression by adding rest pause which I always enjoyed doing.

Upper - Chest
    Incline Bench Press - 3x
    Cable Chest Flies - 2-3x12+
    Machine Press - Rest Pause (20-30)
    Bent Row/Pendlay Row 3x10
    Lateral Raise - Rest Pause (30)

Lower - Quad
    Squat - 3x
    Leg Press - 3x10+
    Leg Curl - 3x10+
    Calf Raise - 6x
    Abs - 2x

REST

Upper - Back
    Pull Up - BW Rep Goal
    Wide Pulldown - 3x10+
    TBar Row/Machine Row - Rest Pause (20-30)
    Rear Delt Raise - Rest Pause (30)
    Bench Press - 3x10

Lower - Glute/Ham
    (Trapbar) Deadlift - 3x
    Romanian Deadlift - 2x
    Squat - 3x10+
    Calf Raise - 6x (different rep range)
    Abs - 2x (different exercise or rep range)

Upper - Arm
    BB Bicep Curl - 3x10
    BB Skullcrusher - 3x10
    BB Facepull - 3x10
    BB Shrug - 3x10+
    Incline Machine Press - Rest Pause (20-30)
    Medium Pulldown - Pest Pause (20-30)

Sets and rep ranges: I haven't really decided on the exact rep ranges I want to use but the above should give you a good idea. 10+ means anywhere from 10-20 and will probably be high enough especially in the first week before the weight and intensity is increased. The set number are for the first week. I haven't decided what rep range I want to do for the Incline, Squat and Deadlift or if I want to keep doing the 5/3/1 variation I am doing at the minute. For the rest pause I aim for 12-15 reps then rest pause to the number in brackets.

Progression: The progression is pretty simple. Every week I up the volume and intensity. For the straight sets that means I add weight to the 10 rep exercises if possible or move closer to failure on each set (go from 7-9 RPE as the weeks progress) and a set each week (if I am recovering). For the Rest Pause I keep the weight the same but each week at 10 reps to the goal and increase the RPE.

I will Deload after 4 weeks. Coming out of my cut I plan to start eating at maintenance and as the weeks progress go into an increasing surplus.

The goal is the build muscle.

Thoughts?
    Don't listen to what I just said I'm actually very weak.
    Goal Physique: Super Majin Buu

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't like it, too complicated. If you have 5 days and want to get a bit more volume in then try an UL rest PPL rest routine. Focus on compound movements for your upper day and split the second upper day into a chest, shoulders, triceps day and a back, biceps day to get more exercise variety and volume in. Never a fan of these "today is this day but with emphasis on this muscle" type of routines. Also, your 'ham/glute day' is actually quad dominant. Check out vikings UL/PPL routine to get an idea.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by leidenesLK View Post
    I don't like it, too complicated. If you have 5 days and want to get a bit more volume in then try an UL rest PPL rest routine. Focus on compound movements for your upper day and split the second upper day into a chest, shoulders, triceps day and a back, biceps day to get more exercise variety and volume in. Never a fan of these "today is this day but with emphasis on this muscle" type of routines. Also, your 'ham/glute day' is actually quad dominant. Check out vikings UL/PPL routine to get an idea.
    this, i think it should be split more like a traditional ULPPL split. Why put arms only on one day when you can just tag in 1-2 bicep exercises at the end of your upper and pull day? And your glute/ham day is not a lot of glute and hams. If you wanted it more ham/glute dominant I would do something like

Squats
    RDL
    Hip-Thrusts
    Weighted Back Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Calves
    Abs
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew

LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000) LDali is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the input guys. The reason I mixed them like that is so I can have 3x frequency for upper body movements. The ULPPL is only 2x frequency.

The name of the days is irrelevant it just to give the impression of which body part gets to overload as it is first exercise of the day. The "arm day" only has one exercise each but they are first in the workout so I hit and overload them fresh. I am still hitting every other upper body muscle. The same goes for he "glute" day its just a lower day where I hit and try overload the Deadlift first.

What do you think of this reasoning?

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LDali View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The reason I mixed them like that is so I can have 3x frequency for upper body movements. The ULPPL is only 2x frequency.

The name of the days is irrelevant it just to give the impression of which body part gets to overload as it is first exercise of the day. The "arm day" only has one exercise each but they are first in the workout so I hit and overload them fresh. I am still hitting every other upper body muscle. The same goes for he "glute" day its just a lower day where I hit and try overload the Deadlift first.

What do you think of this reasoning?
    But your 'chest' and 'back' titled days seem heavily dominant in the workload for their respective muscle group. Anyway, I understand what you're trying to achieve, but it's unnecessary and I'm not a fan of it (my opinion). You usually begin the workout with the most taxing movement. In an UL for example, you only ever go as far as alternating Bench and OHP, Squat and Deadlift for each workout. Arms should never be before compound movements, your lifts will suffer.

I know it sucks when someone doesn't agree with an idea you're excited about, but there's so many better set ups out there that will be more effective.

Check the stickies for something you would enjoy most:

3 days - full Body x3
    4 days - UL x2
    5 days - UL / PPL

Either of those are effective. Pick the one you most enjoy and look in the stickies. Viking has a good 5 day routine.

I know there does not seem to be much love for doing 3x frequency but none the less I will try it for some variation as last two blocks I ran were just straight U/L 4 times a week. I have started this routine with slight modifications and I'll be logging them in the journal forum.

On quad day I'm just doing squats plus more squats with down sets instead of leg press. On the Glute day ill be doing high+wide leg press instead of the squats.

My calf routine will be unique and will be done first on my leg days. One days will be a standing calf raise pyramiding sets up to a heavy set of 8 then some down sets of 8 with 10% less weight. The other day with be pump oriented with 3 sets of 20 rep seated calf raises then onto sets of 15 rep donkey calf raises.
    Don't listen to what I just said I'm actually very weak.
    Goal Physique: Super Majin Buu