Veljkos is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weight loss plateau or something else?

Im 281lb and 6.7, started 2 months ago at 298, with strict diet, protein shakes, and combination of 3x week gym and 3x week body pump class (im a guy). Problem im havin is, for the first month it was smooth sailing, i was running and training home with basic bodyweight exercises, and i lost about 18lbs, but at the start of second month i started with gym, body pump and protein shakes, and since then i havent lost a single lb! Not one! Thing is, i clearly see fat rapidly dissapearing and muscles slightly growing and getting harder as well i am getting stronger, but it baffles me that scale doesent budge one millimeter. It seems impossible to me that im building that much muscle and losing that much fat(vissualy estimating) that my weight stays the same. Is this expected or should i recheck my diet, reduce/increase training, add standard cardio...? Pls help

z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Decrease your calories. As you lose weight your maintenance level is lowered, so you'll need to reduce calories further if you wish to continue losing weight.

If its only calories why am i still visibly losing fat?

z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Veljkos View Post
    If its only calories why am i still visibly losing fat?
    If your clothes are fitting looser and you're looking better, then who cares what the scale says, no? How long have you been stuck at the same weight?

Registered User chriscarvalho89's Avatar
    chriscarvalho89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im 281lb and 6.7, started 2 months ago at 298, with strict diet, protein shakes, and combination of 3x week gym and 3x week body pump class (im a guy). Problem im havin is, for the first month it was smooth sailing, i was running and training home with basic bodyweight exercises, and i lost about 18lbs, but at the start of second month i started with gym, body pump and protein shakes, and since then i havent lost a single lb! Not one! Thing is, i clearly see fat rapidly dissapearing and muscles slightly growing and getting harder as well i am getting stronger, but it baffles me that scale doesent budge one millimeter. It seems impossible to me that im building that much muscle and losing that much fat(vissualy estimating) that my weight stays the same. Is this expected or should i recheck my diet, reduce/increase training, add standard cardio...? Pls help
    From your post i get the feeling you aren't weighing and tracking your food into myfitnesspal since you didnt mention your calories or macros.

Start off by tracking everything you eat for a week. Then take the average and subtract 250-500 calories. if you aren't losing weight you can either subtract another 250 calories or add 30 mins of cardio where you just walk a few times a week.

The goal is to eat less and move more and the rest is patience.

You could try intermittent fasting as a tool to make this easier. basically stop eating at 8PM, go to sleep, wake up at your normal time then don't eat until 12PM. From 12PM - 8PM you can eat your normal healthy foods. This will make you lose weight as long as you don't cheat during the eating window.

Good Luck!
    No advertising in sig line

Originally Posted by chriscarvalho89 View Post
    From your post i get the feeling you aren't weighing and tracking your food into myfitnesspal since you didnt mention your calories or macros.
    . You are correct, alltrough im eating all the right stuff im not counting calories, except protein intake which i keep at around 1,5 g per bodyweight unit. I was wondering could that be the case. But with the amount of training i do it seems impossible to not lose a single kilo with this food. Im not overeating for sure. Im at this plateau exactly one month

philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) philgriffiths is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    . You are correct, alltrough im eating all the right stuff im not counting calories, except protein intake which i keep at around 1,5 g per bodyweight unit. I was wondering could that be the case. But with the amount of training i do it seems impossible to not lose a single kilo with this food. Im not overeating for sure. Im at this plateau exactly one month
    1.5g per lb? so at nearly 300lb you are eating 450g protein a day? That in itself is 1,800 cals. Just on protein. Nevemind still needing to add fat and carb cals.
    I think you need to revisit your calorie consumption if you want to start losing weight.
    "Through Calorie-counting all things are possible" : Phil 19:26

Originally Posted by philgriffiths View Post
    1.5g per lb? so at nearly 300lb you are eating 450g protein a day?
    No no, per kilogram, that would be about 0.65 per lb.

Im not overeating for sure. Im at this plateau exactly one month
    You are eating at maintenance. You need to weigh all your food. I was once obese, and once I begun to weigh all my portions, I had many a, "That's 300 calories?! NFW, there's hardly anything in the dish!" moments.

This is common and to be expected from overweight/obese people because: a) their views on what a regular portion looks/feels like is skewed from years of overeating and/or, b) they think that since they're always hungry (due to eating fewer calories than they are accustomed to) that they must be in a caloric deficit. Accurately weigh all your food to the gram, and let the scale back up your claims.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Every 10 lbs you lose you need to drop 100 calories per day. This is a general statement but good for a baseline amount
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by z4v4 View Post
    "That's 300 calories?! NFW, there's hardly anything in the dish!" moments.

This is common and to be expected from overweight/obese people because: a) their views on what a regular portion looks/feels like is skewed from years of overeating and/or, b) they think that since they're always hungry (due to eating fewer calories than they are accustomed to) that they must be in a caloric deficit.
    This actually makes a LOT OF SENSE. I thought, since im a fairly large guy(2m/6,7) i can allow myself that additional watermellon slice or an extra spoonful of rice, since my body use more energy as it is, but i guess over the course of a month it adds up... Damn, now i have to start dieting while allready being on a diet