smallpumpkin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Surplus only on training days ?

Hey everyone, i was wondering if one can make muscle gains if they have a caloric surplus intake only on training days (which is 4 days a week usually for me). On other days I try to aim for a small cut, talking mby 200 calories.

34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What are your goals?

I believe calorie balance over the course of a week or so is what matters. Alternating between daily surplus and deficit could lead to you spinning your wheels.

I'm afraid to bulk. And I've heard it's not possible to gain muscle while not being in caloric surplus, sooo thats a problem. I've been working out now for (almost) 4 months and while I have developed a decent form while executing exercises, I dont think I am building any more muscle than the first "noob gains". My goal is bikini fitness, and I'd like to have a visibly muscular physique. Also when it comes to protein, i try to aim for 130 grams or more.

34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is possible to add muscle in a deficit, for some people and in certain circumstances but it's not the optimal way to do it as a general rule.

Why are you afraid to bulk?

You may get better advice if you include a photo and add specific detail on current and target weight etc.

But if you're looking to add muscle and minimise fat gains, just take it slow. Add around 1lb per month and you won't add any significant fat. You may even get leaner.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by smallpumpkin View Post
    I'm afraid to bulk. And I've heard it's not possible to gain muscle while not being in caloric surplus, sooo thats a problem. I've been working out now for (almost) 4 months and while I have developed a decent form while executing exercises, I dont think I am building any more muscle than the first "noob gains". My goal is bikini fitness, and I'd like to have a visibly muscular physique. Also when it comes to protein, i try to aim for 130 grams or more.
    Why? Fat gains?

If so, can be minimized by controlling the size of your surplus

Also, you may find this Eric Helms YT video helpful (skip to 0:53 to get to Erics chat)

NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Im on my phone and I don't know how to include pics in a reply, but if I figure it out tommorow I'm gonna post some. Yeah I'm afraid of fat gain because I'm not fat, but i can still like grab onto some on my thighs and well thats my main problem area, my thighs are huge (52 cm, idk thats maybe like 20/21 inches) and if i gain weight, it all goes guess where. Also I've lost a great bunch of weight before but I'm afraid that I wont be able to cut after I bulk because I'll get used to eating more. That's why I agree with your post that it should be taken very slow, 150 cals a day should do. Thank you for replying btw

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To be honest it sounds like you're too concerned over small details, and looking at your profile pictures you're already very thin/lean. Do you struggle with body image problems? Probably best to tackle that before getting into fitness to hard... you'll end up disappointed and won't make progress.

You've already proven you can lose weight, so why would you question your ability to control your urges? Be proud of where you are and confident you have the requisite mind to avoid issues. You're capable of achieving your goals without spiraling out of control... just go for it.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    And I've heard it's not possible to gain muscle while not being in caloric surplus.
    That's false. Especially in your first year of lifting it's easy to gain muscle without being in surplus. As long as you're making consistent progress on your lifts on a good routine and eat enough protein spread over the day you'll gain muscle.

A surplus becomes necessary when you are no longer able to make progress without it.

Check that video by Eric Helms, he explains it well.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

Yeah, body image problems... I guess the only solution is to just go for it and be strong, go heavy with the workouts and try not to dwell on useless things. Thank you for the motivation

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just saw your profile pics. You're already VERY lean. You need a small surplus to build muscle.

If you want to stay lean in the process only gain ~1 pound per month. You can do this by tracking your weight with a 7 day moving average or a weekly average.

Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50) Michealx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey everyone, i was wondering if one can make muscle gains if they have a caloric surplus intake only on training days (which is 4 days a week usually for me). On other days I try to aim for a small cut, talking mby 200 calories.
    your 19. Your body is still in a growing state. Being in a slight surplus won't harm you. Don't be afraid to put on a few pounds。no one can notice half a pound of fat.