Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    LiamNilldeer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Return of the 'Keeper

Hi Everyone,

First off, thanks for reading.

I'll try and give a succinct background to the reasons behind this log in this first post, goals & aims in the second and then a plan of action in my third, bear with me because it might get a bit lengthy before we start actually logging anything!

Background

I am a 32 year old man from the UK. At 6'2 and 20s11 I am out of shape!

I have always been a fairly big guy. I come from a long line of farming stock, well muscled men who spend their days toiling in fields, lugging hay bales or wrestling sheep. I decided to forgo that existance for a more sedate one sat in front of a computer creating more and more complex excel spreadsheets! As such the big portions of the past continued whilst the physical activity deteriorated and the waistline increased.

Conversley I have always been very active on a sporting level, fiercely competitive in all I do, I have always played a number of different sports - mostly team sports - and this has kept my weight and health at an accepatble level, if not always an optimal one. Throughout my teens and twenties I played;
    Football (soccer) to a good ametuer level
    Gaelic Football - to a County level (nb; for any Irish people reading, County level in England is not equivalent to any level of Football you will see at home!)
    Cricket - to a terrible standard
    And various other sports on a more informal basis.

Two years ago I turned 30, moved out of the city into a small town about 30 miles away, got married and had a baby. And any sporting activity seemed to stop. I was too far away from my old teammates to be able to commit to making the trip to training sessions and as such felt I would be letting the team down if I just showed up for matches, so I stopped completely. I knew no one in my new town and didn't want to go along to the local teams to try and sign up for them, also I'd got to a point where I didn't want to. Meeting new people is hard work and I had gotten a bit fatigued regarding team sports - starting with a new team at 30 seemed like more than I could be bothered with!

At the same time life with a new baby and all that involves, late night wake ups etc. etc. had a massive impact on my diet, sleep and my independent training down the gym. I.e, the diet was ****, I didn't sleep and I didn't train!

All this led me to where I am now, 3 stones heavier than 2 years ago and probably 5 off my ideal weight.

Goals & Targets

I am going to become the No.1 Goalkeeper for my local football team. And enjoy at least 5 more years playing team sports before my body becomes truely past it and I am forced to turn to Golf!

This goal is massive and needs further breaking down in order to become managable:

To drop to 16s and back to a healthy bf level whilst maintaining strength levels as much as possible
    Improve Cardiovascular fitness levels
    Improve Flexibility and Range of Motion
    Stop Eating like my two year old and improve my diet
    Get back to a good level of competance as a football goalkeeper

Hopefully this will give me a good framework to begin from.

I have been thinking about these goals since the end of the last football season where I found myself really missing the Saturday afternoon routine of playing sport for the first time since giving it up. As such I have already sought out the manager from the local team and registered my interest in playing this season. He was a nice guy and was really keen that I come down and try out. There are two teams within the club, the first team who have an established goalkeeper who has been there for a number of years and is highly reated and trusted and a second team who also currently have a keeper but who shipped nearly 80 goals last year and who I am targeting early on in preseason. If I can have a good preseason and show a level of commitment during training and fitness sessions I'm confident I can make the second team slot my own for when the season starts at the end of August! It will be difficult to break into the first team but when the opportunity comes along I need to be ready to grab it with oth hands (and not drop it!).

We had the first training session last week and I enjoyed it. I had been back in the gym for a couple of weeks in preparation and although there is still a long way to go it felt like a good session, chatting to some of the lads they seemed pleased to have me onboard and I'm looking forward to some quick progress whilst working hard in the preseason.

Plan of Action

As mentioned at the end of the previous post I have been back in the gym for a couple of weeks working hard mainly on my CV performance. I have been doing a 1.5mile run and a kettlebell/bodyweight circuit which has actually been really beneficial. I will continue this routine for the pre season period and really concentrate on that Cardiovascular target above. The worst thing I could do at the moment is get to football training on a Tuesday evening and not be fit enough to give a good account of myself.

I am in the gym 5 mornings per week before work at the moment and I think this is sustainable whilst I am mainly doing CV work. I like to get my workout done early in the morning and feel the benefit throughout the day and because I am sat behind a desk I get very little excercise during the day so that early boost helps. A current workout looks like;

200m warm up walk 2 mins
    2.5km run. PB:15m43

Circuit
    30 Kettlebell swings, 20 box jumps, 10 medicne ball Squats (x3 with 1min rest inbetween)
    20 Kettlebell Presses, 20 Kettlebell Cleans (x3 with 1min rest inbetween)
    Total Circuit (inc. rest) PB 17m6 using 12kg Kb

I am looking to add further progressions to the circuit, including burpees, and increase the size of the kb over the next few weeks as fitness improves. This should keep the circuit challenging and push me towards my goals.

In line with the maintaining of strength I mention in my first target I will look to add compound lifts (Squat, Deadlift, Pull Up, Benchpress) to my routine once the season begins (6 weeks or so) however I think these will be slow progress beacuse a) I don't want to risk DOMS or muscle soreness effecting my football performance and b) I don't really enjoy lifting weight for the sake of it - a neccessary evil.

My diet has never been very good although I think over the years I have emassed a reasonable level of nutrition knowledge (which makes having a ****ty diet worse!). I am logging my meals for the first time ever and keeping to a 500 cal deficit at 2534 cals per day on a 40% protien 30% fat and carbs split. The first week of this was interesting and lots still to refine but more on that later. I hope this diet will allow me to lose at a decent rate and also give me a good enough structure that I can afford the odd social meal with family & friends but we'll see!

And that is it in terms of an introduction. As I said I have already completed a week of logging so I will post up my first week next. I hope you enjoy reading my log and I hope I can maintain this level of motivation through a journey which will hopefully lead to a fitter, happier, more productive (thanks Radiohead) me!

Week 1

Date Weight Calories Protein Fat Carbs Workout

Target 224.0 2,542.0 254.0 85.0 191.0 Yes

10/07/2017 291.0 2,678.9 199.6 74.8 194.7 Yes Circuit (Run PB)
    11/07/2017 290.0 1,633.0 108.6 50.2 175.2 Yes Circuit AM Football training PM
    12/07/2017 286.0 2,073.9 226.2 59.2 149.8 Yes Circuit
    13/07/2017 289.0 1,747.7 113.7 66.5 160.3 Yes Circuit (Run PB)
    14/07/2017 288.0 1,830.4 69.9 77.0 208.8 Yes Circuit
    15/07/2017 2,255.5 116.6 81.3 186.8 No
    16/07/2017 285.0 1,449.5 47.3 91.9 103.3 Yes Gaelic Football match!

Week 1 285.0 13,669.0 881.8 500 1,178.9

Average 1952.7 126.0 71.5 168.4

Diet Comments

This is the first time I have ever logged my Macros when considering my diet and the first thing to note is that its a pain in the arse!

My intended food routine at the moment is:

Chicken or Turkey salad for lunch around 12pm
    A protien dense snack around 5pm (usually something like tuna and baked beans)
    Large dinnertime meal consisting of lots of greens and lean protien sources arround 8pm after the little one is in bed

This is working for me during the week although working out nutrition for a home made meal is a ballache!

Also I need to somehow up my protien levels because they are superlow! I seem to have averaged only half my targeted protien this week and I've eaten 1000 calories under maintenance instead of the targeted 500. This has resulted in an exceptional weight loss in the week of 6lbs but I know this isn't sustainable.

Diet Takeaway from week 1

Eggs are my friend and plan the weekends!

Training Comments

It was a good week training wise. I'm enjoying my circuit and it's certainly taking it out of me. I feel physically fitter and better able to complete my run after just one week at this, hitting a PB twice in the week. I think my body is just grateful to be moving again and moving in a good direction. I have no issues with motivation as I know I have my training session on a Tuesday evening at which I have to give a good account of myself at. Tomorrow evenings session will be a good indicator as to how my progress is coming along in these early stages.

You may have noticed I had a game of Gaelic football on Sunday as well! The first one in over a year! My old team gave me a call out of the blue last week and told me they were short of players this weekend and would I fancy a game. I jumped at the chance because I do still love playing but it's just too far to commit to every week. I had a really good game. We won, conceeding only one goal and I made a number of improtant stops and interceptions. The game came at just the right time for me. A nice confidence boost and great to see all the guys again!

Training Takeaways from week 1

Keep up the good work, if week 2 is as successful consider adding excericses to the circuit and/or upping KB weight

Weight Loss Takeaways from week 1

I lost 6lbs down to 20s5. I'm really pleased with this result from week 1 but as mentioned above it is a result of week 1 fluctuations and eating way below targeted levels. I am targeting 2lbs per week weightloss which should ge me to my target in 33 weeks or the end of Feb next year which is a long old slog. But this is a good start and encourraging - hopefully continued diet and training performance will keep it up.

Hey,

I thought I'd pop a quick update in here as I had my second pre season training session last night and it's/I have messed with my routine a little bit.

Monday was another day were I hit only 2000 calories, Protien was up slightly at 176g but still a long way behind the targeted 254g. I had a good workout in the morning also, beating my PB for the 1.5miler. The thing is I haven't felt hungry at around 2000 calories so far in this process even though I have worked out pretty much every day. Although I can see a benefit of getting the last 500 calories in by upping my Protien intake I can't seem to do it, yet.

Tuesday was the day of football training and I found myself really looking forward to it. I had another good workout in the morning and ate a good lunch (chicken salad) and I was all ready for my 5pm Tuna hit. However I got dragged into a meeting at about 4.40pm and it ran on until about 5.15pm. I had missed my snack! I didn't feel overly hungry and I knew I had an hour of commuting to do before I got home and could get ready for football which began at 7pm so I decided I would just grab something before training. I drove home and made it in for about 6.15pm. Now I had 45 minutes to change, eat and get to training (5min drive).

Of course when I got in I greeted my wife and 2 year old daughter as normal and I could tell my wife needed some time off from Isobel! So I took Isobel away and bathed her and got her ready for bed before taking her back to my wife all ready for some supper and quiet time before bed. I now had 10 mins to get changed, eat & get to football training (5min drive).

I decided to skip eating anything 1) because of time and 2) because if I had eaten anything that close to my training session I'm pretty sure I would have cramped up or gotten a stitch, which would have been a great way to impress my new manager or team mates!

Training went well in general, I enjoyed it and think I continued to impress everyone. But it was hard! I felt a little lethargic and weak (from not eating I'm sure). It didn't help that the fitness work seemed to be taken up a notch from last week. I didn't perform as I know I can but I didn't embarras myself either, and I found out have been selected for at least half a game in the first preseason friendly of the year next Monday evening so that is great news!

When I got home my wife had eaten and I didn't want anything massive so I made my goto post football carb fest, which is a great energy booster but hardly a health balanced dinner:

50g bran flakes
    1/2 pint whole milk
    30g frozen blueberries
    1 Banana
    150g frozen mixed berries
    40g of crunchy peanut butter

Which comes in at 785 cals and a massive 86g of carbs!

However, with this and my salad being my only food of the day my macros and calories were awful 990cals 59g protien 37g fats 96g carbs. Just simply not enough food! But I was knackered and statisfied after my carb fest so I went to bed.

This morning I got up at 6 as usual but I ached all over, I seem to have pulled something arround my rib area and it kills if I cough but wierdly not during movement too much. I decided to man up and get to the gym, I'm proud of myself for this as in the past there'd have been no chance! When I got there I jumped on the treadmill as usual for my 1.5miler but the energy just was not there. I managed 2km of jogging/walking at 16.43 (my pb on the 1.5miles is 15.08) and didn't even attempt my kettlebell circuit instead going off and doing some stretching. After this I jumped in the pool and did a 400m meddely swim which saved the workout for me a little and then I spent half an hour in the jaccuzzi!

(NB. I love the jaccuzzi, especially in the morning before work. Some people say that they work out so they can get their thoughts in gear for the day and plan how they are going to be productive. I can't do that, all can think about whilst working out is making sure I have enough oxygen not to die! So I use 10mins in the jaccuzzi as a reflective time to think about my plans and how I'll attack the rest of my day!)

I was pleased I made the gym this morning and semi rescued my workout! But I am disapointed I had let myself under eat yesterday to the point where I simply didn't have enough fuel in my body to manage my workout today. So I have this morning, for the first time since starting this process made and eaten a breakfast meal. I had three egg scrambled egg on the top of a plain toasted bagel. It was very good and I feelkl much better as I write this. I'll see how I feel at lunch time but don't expect to change the rest of my eating today, I'll class this mornings breakfast as the missed meal from yeterday and chalk yesterday up to experience!

Sorry for going on so much, but I do find it helps structure my thoughts and is a little cathartic to slurge words down on the page. I guess it's my log and as long as it reads ok for me to look back on then that is fine!

In terms of weight loss, which is what this is all about, the scales, unsurprisingly, showed a big loss from yesterday this mornig and I am down at 282lbs. I expect that will jump back up and have me back around the 2lbs loss by the end of the week but lets see.

I also have been reading through some of the other logs in here and they are so inspiring, lots of great progress and good advice. One thing I am going to incorporate (shamlessly steal!) is Imps 7 day rolling average loss calcualtion as I think this gives a much better reflection of performance than an arbriatary weight measurement at any one moment in time. In the four days since I have had enough data for a 7 day average is has read

Which is good progress and really nice to see!

Thanks for reading, any feedback/thoughts/encouragement/realtalk is welcome!

lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000)
    Welcome Liam

It appears you are off to a great start, so long as your training is aligned with your goals this momentum will carry through. I am a big believer in lifting hard, in my opinion you should incorporate the big compounds into your routine ASAP, they serve as a good reference for your overall strength, and as a corollary, your relative lean muscle mass.

Yes, macro tracking is a pain in the arse, but it is necessary if you aim to keep as much good mass as possible whilst shedding the bodyfat, there are prescribed minimums that you should adhere to (2-2.2g protein per kg of lean body mass, 0.8g fat per kg of lean bodymass) make sure you are getting those in every day as a minimum - skimping on your protein will cost you lean mass, skimping on fat will upset your hormones (especially testosterone, which we want in this process). Phone apps like myfitness pal make it easy to track your energy intake, as well as macro splits (i personally use a spreadsheet with a database of the foods i usually eat and some light excel-vu to show me how much of each macro I have left to spend each day and generate a summary at the end of the week). You are doing fairly intensive cardio workouts, make sure you take care of your lean mass by eating your protein and lifting to prioritize strength retention.

Undereating will have a number of effects, firstly - yay, you will lose more weight - but as a downside, your mood will deteriorate, your lean mass will decrease and cortisol will spike, and work/sporting performance will certainly take a knock. As with everything, patience and consistency are key to having long term sustainable results. If you manage to find a method or mantra that somehow keeps you patient and works out into long term adherence please share it, as I certainly havnt got it right yet .

Subscribed for progress.

Luke
    Transformation Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173294941
    Workouts logged in bodyspace along with weekly progress pics.

Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by LiamNilldeer View Post
    Hey,

I didn't perform as I know I can but I didn't embarras myself either, and I found out have been selected for at least half a game in the first preseason friendly of the year next Monday evening so that is great news!
    Congratulations on earning some playing time!

I'll see how I feel at lunch time but don't expect to change the rest of my eating today, I'll class this mornings breakfast as the missed meal from yeterday and chalk yesterday up to experience!
    This is, in my opinion, a really good approach. It took me a while to learn to view my diet and exercise "holistically" rather than considering each day/week as an independent totality. Once I got over that mental hurdle this whole process became much less stressful.

I guess it's my log and as long as it reads ok for me to look back on then that is fine!
    This is absolutely correct and the approach that I have taken with my log. This log is for YOU - the rest of us that read along and comment from time to time may or may not enjoy it as well, but we're free to skim/skip over bits that don't interest us. Ultimately, it is important that you make the log in whatever form helps you to maintain consistency and work toward your goals. Keep up the great work!

I also have been reading through some of the other logs in here and they are so inspiring, lots of great progress and good advice. One thing I am going to incorporate (shamlessly steal!) is Imps 7 day rolling average loss calcualtion as I think this gives a much better reflection of performance than an arbriatary weight measurement at any one moment in time. In the four days since I have had enough data for a 7 day average is has read

Which is good progress and really nice to see!
    In my industry we often look at rolling averages of data for tracking trends, so it only seemed natural to me to apply this approach to tracking my weight loss especially since, like material strength testing, weight loss is not linear. There have times that I've really thought my weight was staying constant for a week or two, only to realize that I was still losing just at a slightly slower rate when looking at the running average. Glad that you like it and have found something from my log that is helpful to you, but I only wish that I could lay claim to idea of tracking a rolling average.
    My fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173571151

Originally Posted by lukepeter View Post
    Welcome Liam

It appears you are off to a great start, so long as your training is aligned with your goals this momentum will carry through. I am a big believer in lifting hard, in my opinion you should incorporate the big compounds into your routine ASAP, they serve as a good reference for your overall strength, and as a corollary, your relative lean muscle mass.

Yes, macro tracking is a pain in the arse, but it is necessary if you aim to keep as much good mass as possible whilst shedding the bodyfat, there are prescribed minimums that you should adhere to (2-2.2g protein per kg of lean body mass, 0.8g fat per kg of lean bodymass) make sure you are getting those in every day as a minimum - skimping on your protein will cost you lean mass, skimping on fat will upset your hormones (especially testosterone, which we want in this process). Phone apps like myfitness pal make it easy to track your energy intake, as well as macro splits (i personally use a spreadsheet with a database of the foods i usually eat and some light excel-vu to show me how much of each macro I have left to spend each day and generate a summary at the end of the week). You are doing fairly intensive cardio workouts, make sure you take care of your lean mass by eating your protein and lifting to prioritize strength retention.

Undereating will have a number of effects, firstly - yay, you will lose more weight - but as a downside, your mood will deteriorate, your lean mass will decrease and cortisol will spike, and work/sporting performance will certainly take a knock. As with everything, patience and consistency are key to having long term sustainable results. If you manage to find a method or mantra that somehow keeps you patient and works out into long term adherence please share it, as I certainly havnt got it right yet .

Subscribed for progress.

Luke
    Thanks Luke!

A lot of sage advice, and advice from someone who has trodden a path you are attempting should not be ignored. I realise I need to get better at recording my food (specifically weighing it out, instead of using typical sizes or "each" measurements) and I also realise that I need to drastically increase my protien intake (more in my update). I will reflect further on this and adjust my habits accordingly. These new routine losses wont continue forever!

I use a pretty custom excel spreadsheet I have developed over the last couple of weekes to record food/weight/excercise to track everything and if I'm on the move I use my phone to record things and log it later. Excel is my favourite tool to use and I'm bit of a nerd for statistical analysis so I enjoy that part of the process at least!

And finally I am pretty aware that I am missing out on a lot of benefits by not lifting at the moment. Lack of lifting and lack of protein is a dangerous combination on a calorie deficit. I am also aware however that my CV system is a wreck and that in order to function properly in my sporting endeavors a short term loss of strength is outweighed by an improved CV performance, at least in my mind. Once I am through this short 6 week (now 4) pre season phase I will encorporate the lifting and aim to gain back any strength losses quickly whilst maintaining cardio performance.

Thanks for your comments, truely appreciated!

Originally Posted by Imp81318 View Post
    Congratulations on earning some playing time!

This is, in my opinion, a really good approach. It took me a while to learn to view my diet and exercise "holistically" rather than considering each day/week as an independent totality. Once I got over that mental hurdle this whole process became much less stressful.

This is absolutely correct and the approach that I have taken with my log. This log is for YOU - the rest of us that read along and comment from time to time may or may not enjoy it as well, but we're free to skim/skip over bits that don't interest us. Ultimately, it is important that you make the log in whatever form helps you to maintain consistency and work toward your goals. Keep up the great work!

In my industry we often look at rolling averages of data for tracking trends, so it only seemed natural to me to apply this approach to tracking my weight loss especially since, like material strength testing, weight loss is not linear. There have times that I've really thought my weight was staying constant for a week or two, only to realize that I was still losing just at a slightly slower rate when looking at the running average. Glad that you like it and have found something from my log that is helpful to you, but I only wish that I could lay claim to idea of tracking a rolling average.

Thanks for the kind words Imp! I'm still in the "enjoying my journey" phase at the moment and although I'm sure motivation will waine and I'll hit some bumps at some point! Having a place to vent, get put straight, congratulated or a bollocking as and when required will help I hope. That's where this log will come in!

Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Imp81318 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks Luke!
    I use a pretty custom excel spreadsheet I have developed over the last couple of weekes to record food/weight/excercise to track everything and if I'm on the move I use my phone to record things and log it later. Excel is my favourite tool to use and I'm bit of a nerd for statistical analysis so I enjoy that part of the process at least!
    Have you considered using Google Sheets instead of Excel? I use Excel a lot at work also, but for tracking my exercises and stuff I have been switching more and more to Sheets because I can access it from any of my devices no matter where I am as long as I have cell service. You should be able to easily import your Excel file into Sheets I believe. Some of the functionality is a bit more limited than Excel, particularly the ability to format graphs and such, but I have found it to be working out quite well for me so far.

Week 2

Performance

Date / Rolling 7 Day Weight / Calories / Protein / Fat / Carbs
    17.07.17 / 287.0 / 2009 / 176 / 37 / 142
    18.07.17 / 286.3 / 989 / 58.7 / 36 / 96
    19.07.17 / 285.7 / 1907 / 148 / 55 / 191
    20.07.17 / 285.0 / 1748 / 78 / 65 / 204
    21.07.17 / 284.3 / 1996 / 108 / 91 / 228
    22.07.17 / 283.9 / 1464 / 70 / 82 / 105
    23.07.17 / 283.4 / 2211 / 88 / 111 / 152

Average / 283.4 / 1760 / 104 / 68 / 160

Target / 224.0 / 2039 / 205 / 68 / 152

Diet Comments

I have been doing a lot of reading over the last week, on the forum, other websites etc. and I got the impression I was over egging my TDEE at the 3000odd cals I originally had in. I am simply not active enough to require that many cals to maintain BW. Being sat behind a desk all day is debillitating and a large part of why I am having to write this log anyway. So I recalculated and came out at 2500ish cals required and therefore 2009 cals target a day for a 500 cal deficit. This makes me feel slightly better about my consumption being so low (although a weekly average of 1760 is still too low it was effected by Tuesday - See earlier post).

What it does not account for is the frankly rubbish amout of protein I am still (not) eating. On a typical day I am eating a chicken (100g of chicken) salad at lunch, 30g of protein in my tuna/bean snack at dinner and two chicken breasts or fish or red meat for supper or what my wife cooks. And my average consumption is still half of what it should be. I need to tighten up my supper meal and make sure what I'm saying is true - if that changes from 2/3 times per weeks supper to 4/5 times per week it will make a difference.

I have an aversion to supplements. I think at my level of fitness and performance I should be able to get all the nutrients I require from not eating like a child. Let's see if that happens this week. I will take controll of the kitchen and replace my wifes carb heavy cookoing with something more suitable at supper this week and endeavor to up my protein. As I said in an earlier post, newbie losses will not happen forever and when I get onto lifting my protein needs will only increase. Especially during the season when I will need to recover quickly.

Diet Takeaways

Don't eat like a child and up the protein intake.

Training Comments

Training was up and down this week. My earlier post documents Monday and Tuesday in great detail, including Tuesdays training session. Thursday i had an early meeting so only had time for my run before leaving the gym and getting to work. Friday felt good, after a couple of days eating better and almost a prolonged rest I managed a good run and a very strong circuit, although I didn't beat my PB on the run from earlier in the week.

The weekend didn't involve too much sport/training beyond playing with my daughter and couple of short walks, but I'm ok with that considering first game of preseason is tonight and I'm feeling well rested and ready. I'm looking forward to the game loads and I'm just hoping I give a good account of myself. There will be some rust after so much time out but it'll be good to get some time out on the pitch in.

Training Takeaways

Keep showing up, get more consistent and goal for week 3 is a sub 15min 1.5miler...

Weight Loss Takeaways

Another good week on the weightloss front. On Sunday the scales showed 282lbs which is 3lbs since last week. Very happy with this. Rolling average continues to drop and all the other indicators (clothes fit, mirror etc.) seem to show some progress too. Next stop progress pictures.

I'll let you all know how tonights game goes later on in the week, in the meantime happy logging!

Have you considered using Google Sheets instead of Excel? I use Excel a lot at work also, but for tracking my exercises and stuff I have been switching more and more to Sheets because I can access it from any of my devices no matter where I am as long as I have cell service. You should be able to easily import your Excel file into Sheets I believe. Some of the functionality is a bit more limited than Excel, particularly the ability to format graphs and such, but I have found it to be working out quite well for me so far.
    To be honest, no I hadn't considered it! I'm not sure what the compatibility is like with google sheets, some of the index match formulas I'm using might not like it? I also have the office app on my phone so I can get into spreadsheets on the go if I need to. Again, at a reduced funtionallity but enough to keep me honest!

I don't know how Sheets would handle the more complex functions that Excel has built it, but I figured it might be worth at least looking into for you.

lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000) lukepeter is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know how Sheets would handle the more complex functions that Excel has built it, but I figured it might be worth at least looking into for you.
    this is actually grand advice - I think I will shift to a web hosted document also (assuming Sheets allows my simple macros to run unmolested)

'Morning Everyone,

Just thought I'd drop a quick note in here about last nights pre-season game. What this log and journey is all about!

We won 2-1. I played the full 90 mins and had a good game. 5-6 "simple" saves of shots on target, 1 "key" save of a volley from a long ball that was heading in the bottom corner and a couple of 1on1 stops. Really pleased with how it went and hopefully I've put the cat amongst the pigeons for the management team. Even though I am a long way off peak performance and fitness/weight I'm really pleased with my start and truely beleive the last few weeks work paid off in performance last night.

Ratings (out of 10):

Shot Stopping 6- made a number of saves but was lucky with one or two efforts which just went wide & I wasn't close to. They also hit the post with what would've been a screamer!

One on Ones 5- their goal came from a 1on1 opportunity which I got a foot to but it snuck in anyway. Other than that there was a couple of through balls which I came and collected nicely.

Command of Area 3- Probably the area which requires the most improvement, a few balls over the top were not collected and forced to be put out of play by defenders. This will improve as I get to know the guys better and them me. Also speed off the line is an issue - I need to look to improve this.

Handling 8- I was most pleased with this area, didn't drop anything and the ball stuck at shots also. I came and collected a couple of free kicks, corners and crosses well. Although I did come for one corner which I didn't get to, vertical jump and judgement to be improved.

Distribution 6- I was a little rusty on my goal kicks and especially drop kicks last night. Still got some good distance and found players the majority of the time. Seemed to be an issue most when looking to distribute quickly. I hope this will improve with game time.

Overall 28 from 50 - 56% performance

To work on : Speed of the Line & Vertical Jump - I will do a bit of research into these and look at specific things I can add to my training to improve them. However the best thing I can do for both of these attributes is drop Lbs!

Next game: Preseason Friendly No2 29/07/17

I expect only half a game on Saturday becasue the first team keeper should be available again. It will be good to see him in action and get a yardstick to measure my performance against.

Onwards!

Week 3

Date / Rolling 7 Day Weight / Calories / Protein / Fat / Carbs
    24.07.17 / 282.9 / 1777 / 77 / 84 / 173
    25.07.17 / 282.0 / 2476 / 94 / 195 / 219
    26.07.17 / 281.4 / 2272 / 106 / 84 / 275
    27.07.17 / 280.7 / Not Recorded
    28.07.17 / 280.4 / Not Recorded
    29.07.17 / 280.1 / Not Recorded
    30.07.17 / 280.0 / Not Recorded

Target / 224.0 / 2039 / 205 / 68 / 152

Diet Comments

As you can see, not a great week! After my game on Monday I felt tired Tuesday and ate just under maintenance to compensate for that and training on Tuesday evening. Wednesday was another day above target but under TDEE. However the second half of the week did not get better! Thursday night I met my brother for some celbratory drinks to welcome my new niece to the world, Friday I went for a curry with my wife as with work and training commitments I hadn't spent enough quality time with her recently! Saturday I had another game which I'll talk about later and went to meet an old friend for drinks Saturday evening and Sunday was my birthday which involved a cinema trip and a meal out to celebrate! I feel like I had three months of social engagements over one extended weekend and it showed in my lack of adherence to plan and lack of logging nutrition. BAck on it as of today though and determined to use the last few days as a motivator to get straight back on track!

Diet Takeaways

Get back on the horse! Nothing wrong with a few days of social engagements as long as I can stop the rot...

Training Comments

Mixed bag of training as well this week, I guess it goes hand in hand with the diet. Good Session monday preceeded a great game on Monday evening and a good run Tuesday morning (15.43 2.5km) was before a decent (light) training session on Tuesday evening. No workout Wednesday as a rest was required after two busy days. A good session Thursday and then nothing Friday (see above Thursday night beers!). Saturday was a game (I'll do a write up next) and Yesterday was my birthday so nothing happening there. I did get a load of walking stuff for my birthday as I like to go out for fairly long walks with Isobel strapped into a backpack on my back. I also got a walikng map of the local area so I think I'll start to cross a few of those off the list before the weather turns at the end of the year!

Trainng Takeaways

Not much quality gym time this week but good progress made I think due to other sporting commitments. I also need to remember that resting isn't cheating and listening to my now 32 year old body when it creaks is going to be super important if I'm going to hit my goals! First game of the league season is 19/08/17 and that is when my preseason training finishes and I start my in season training. I need to think about how to incorporate lifting into my routine without compromising performance. Furtehr reading required!

And finally...

Not a bad week considering it was birthday week! The key is accepting this sort of behavior is normal and refocusing afterwards. Although I weighed the same 281 on the scales this Sunday as last Sunday, my 7 day rolling average dropped by 2.9lbs in the week and I see lots of potential for a solid week this week! Also the game time at football is a massive plus and motivator, I can already see benefits of my regime in my game and can understand where further improvement in weight and fitness will help my game!

Pre Season Game 2

This was an odd game really, the game was split into 4 30 minute quaters with rolling substitues and 20 odd players for both teams. Lots of variation and experimentation form both teams meant that it never relly settled into a competitive fixture but it was a good pre season excercise and upped everyones game time before the season propper begins. I think the score finished 5-4 loss but that was not really as important as the performance.

I was due to play 2 quaters but an injury to the other GK meant I had to step in for one more quater and ended up playing an extra quater.

Ratings (Out of 10)

Shot Stopping 5- I made a couple of saves and 1 or 2 good ones. I let a goal in from a shot on the edge of the box which I thought I could've saved and one from a header from a cross which I got a boot to but still crept into the bottom corner.

One on Ones 6- Pleased with this aspect but still room for improvement. 2 goals came from 1on1 situations and I need to stay upright for longer and not commit myself to going to ground to early. But I did make a couple of 1on1 saves I was very pleased with.

Command of area 4- Better than Tuesday but still a long way to go, again speed off the line is an issue. There were a couple of instances where I thought I could come to a longish ball over the defence but just didn't have the acceleration to get there in time leaving me in no mans land! The other issue is getting to know my back 4 better, this will come with time!

Handling 8- Good again, solid, nothing dropped and catches claimed when required. A couple of low/fast crosses into the box could've been delt with better but no issues really

Distribution 5- Goalkicks, Throws and long kicks were great as long as they were not rushed. When trying to launch a quick attack or play a fast throw often it caused issues. Again rustiness and should improve with game time. Goal kick distribution was good, even for short ones.

Overall 28 out of 50 - 56% performance

A very different game from Tuesday but similar performance. Lots to work on and lots which should get better with mnore game time. This week is going to be important in taking the next step. No midweek game means I should get a propper week of workouts in and put myself in a good place for next Saturdays pre season game.

Nex game: Pre Season Friendly No3

Looking forward to this one and seeing how working in the gym might improve perofrmance.

Diet Takeaways

Get back on the horse! Nothing wrong with a few days of social engagements as long as I can stop the rot...
    Truer words were never spoken

I am enjoying the focus in your journal so far, and the very clear performance related goal with your football - keep it up.