Thread: Ice baths

DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DarkHorse500 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ice baths

I'm all for anything to improve recovery..

But there seems to be varying opinions and points of view on icing and ice baths...especially recently..

Do you think it helps or hinders recovery/progress?

Let's be real here...ice baths aren't fun..I'm not going to be doing it for the hell of it

I remember doing it 5+ years ago after every heavy squat and deadlift session. Can't remember why I stopped. Can't remember if I felt it wasn't working or what

Thanks

churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There's a really good article by doctor mike Isratel from juggernaut, I think it's called "everything you need to know about recovery." I don't think there's any real science behind ice baths, but if you feel that they work then there's no reason why you shouldn't do them. The most important things for recovery though are sleep and food, so never skip out on sleep or a meal to do a cold bath.
    15 years old
    Best meet lifts: 468/242/441 raw w/ sleeves
    Best gym lifts: 550/270/515 @ 198
    USPA Sub-Junior 13-15 American Squat Record Holder
    Next Meet: USPA Raw Nationals on July 8th, 2017
    Journey to becoming the first teenager to total 2000 in sleeves

jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50) jonglo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    there is a reason to not do them. Inflammation is part of the healing process so hindering inflammation hinders recovery.
    The only people who should be doing ice baths are athletes who need to reduce inflammation because they need to perform. So if you're in a sport where recovery times are short, e.g. a tennis tournament. Or you're in the final weeks of a fight camp, where technique training is a daily thing, and you've got aches and pains from a long arduous training camp or tournament, then ice baths are a way to allow you to continue to train or compete.
    For everyone else, you should rest when you feel sore, you might feel better after ice but you that isn't because you've recovered faster.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DarkHorse500 View Post
    I'm all for anything to improve recovery..

But there seems to be varying opinions and points of view on icing and ice baths...especially recently..

Do you think it helps or hinders recovery/progress?

Let's be real here...ice baths aren't fun..I'm not going to be doing it for the hell of it

I remember doing it 5+ years ago after every heavy squat and deadlift session. Can't remember why I stopped. Can't remember if I felt it wasn't working or what

Thanks
    They seem to be effective, but how much they help may not make sense for you unless you have already checked all of the other boxes with regard to other factors that impact recovery (diet, sleep, effective training template, etc.).
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100) spark124 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    They seem to be effective, but how much they help may not make sense for you unless you have already checked all of the other boxes with regard to other factors that impact recovery (diet, sleep, effective training template, etc.).
    this i dont think ice baths are that necessary, rest and food will do your recover in time

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    so I'm the only one that enjoys them?

Then again, I also prefer cold showers too. But I am actually considering buying a 169g stock tank since I don't fit in my tub.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler