mhostilis is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Intro + My first workout plan (Please Help)

Hey guys this is my first thread and I just joined the site so please bear with my likely ignorance.

Stats:

Started lifting a year and half ago.

I weighed about 180 lbs

I'm now ~200 lbs @ ~15% bf

I am 6'1"

I train 4-5 days a week

I am getting to the point where I believe that training without a regimen is reaching a level of significantly diminishing returns. I used to just workout whatever didn't feel sore anymore the day I went to the gym.....it doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore....not sure if it's the heat but almost all my lifts are stalling or dropping.

I have developed this workout plan. Could you guys please look over it and let me know what you think? I would like to build some mass until fall or winter and then focus on improving my stength/efficiency of the muscle I have built over this summer period.

I superset everything.

Monday: OHP, Squats, Smith machine z-press, Lateral to front raises, Leg press
    Tuesday: Neutral grip chinups, Hammer curls, Ab machine, situps
    Wednesday: Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press (can't bench), Weighted chest dips, Pushups, Calf raises
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Weighted tricep dips, Squats, Leg press, Tricep pushdowns
    Saturday: Deadlift, Cable curls, Flat barbell curls, Ab machine, situps
    Sunday: Rest

Bench: 225x1 (I don't bench ever)
    Squat: 300x1
    Deadlift: 470x1

Any thoughtful input is greatly appreciated.

Goal stats by December: 210lbs @ ~15% bf........attainable?

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mhostilis View Post
    Hey guys this is my first thread and I just joined the site so please bear with my likely ignorance.

Stats:

Started lifting a year and half ago.

I weighed about 180 lbs

I'm now ~200 lbs @ ~15% bf

I am 6'1"

I train 4-5 days a week

I am getting to the point where I believe that training without a regimen is reaching a level of significantly diminishing returns. I used to just workout whatever didn't feel sore anymore the day I went to the gym.....it doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore....not sure if it's the heat but almost all my lifts are stalling or dropping.

I have developed this workout plan. Could you guys please look over it and let me know what you think? I would like to build some mass until fall or winter and then focus on improving my stength/efficiency of the muscle I have built over this summer period.

I superset everything.

Monday: OHP, Squats, Smith machine z-press, Lateral to front raises, Leg press
    Tuesday: Neutral grip chinups, Hammer curls, Ab machine, situps
    Wednesday: Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press (can't bench), Weighted chest dips, Pushups, Calf raises
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Weighted tricep dips, Squats, Leg press, Tricep pushdowns
    Saturday: Deadlift, Cable curls, Flat barbell curls, Ab machine, situps
    Sunday: Rest

Bench: 225x1 (I don't bench ever)
    Squat: 300x1
    Deadlift: 470x1

Any thoughtful input is greatly appreciated.

Goal stats by December: 210lbs @ ~15% bf........attainable?
    Feeling sore, or not, is usually irrelevant.

You probably aren't the bodyfat % you think you are.

What you listed is not a routine. The fact that you don't know what information you are missing that would make it a complete routine worthy of giving feedback on demonstrates that you are absolutely not ready to write your own routine and should instead follow something already out there and proven.

Why can you do weighted dips, pushups, and a hammer strength chest press but not bench?

I was assuming if it didn't feel sore, the muscle was ready to go again....

That is my digitally measured body fat, not an eyeballed estimate....

I understand it's not a routine. I didn't list sets, reps, or order.....I was looking more for whether or not those exercises cover the bulk of what I should be doing or not.....I will be working on a 5x10 for the majority if not all of those exercises (which may seem like a bunch of volume but please keep in mind that I will be taking multiple minute rests between each set by super setting each muscle with the other muscle I am working that day before going back for another set on the first muscle....Hopefully I'm phrasing this sensibly)

Weighted dips, push-ups, and hammer strength /wide/ chest press don't bother my shoulder in the least. Bench press (flat, incline, dumbbell, you name it) causes massive pain.....not sure why..
    Last edited by mhostilis; 07-13-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typo

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was assuming if it didn't feel sore, the muscle was ready to go again....
    Not a good assumption.

That is my digitally measured body fat, not an eyeballed estimate....
    Those measurements are notoriously inconsistent/incorrect.

I understand it's not a routine. I didn't list sets, reps, or order.....I was looking more for whether or not those exercises cover the bulk of what I should be doing or not.....I will be working on a 5x10 for the majority if not all of those exercises (which may seem like a bunch of volume but please keep in mind that I will be taking multiple minute rests between each set by super setting each muscle with the other muscle I am working that day before going back for another set on the first muscle....Hopefully I'm phrasing this sensibly)

Weighted dips, push-ups, and hammer strength /wide/ chest press don't bother my shoulder in the least. Bench press (flat, incline, dumbbell, you name it) causes massive pain.....not sure why..
    Can't really give good feedback based only a list of exercises. You have the major exercises or an analog represented, except for a row/horizontal pull

So, like, you are supersetting 5x10 squats with 5x10 leg press and other stuff?

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    So, like, you are supersetting 5x10 squats with 5x10 leg press and other stuff?
    So for example, on Monday (OHP, Squats, Smith machine z-press, Lateral to front raises, Leg press),

I would do 10 reps OHP, then 10 squats, 10 reps smith machine z-press, then back to OHP for 5 sets.....then after those 5 sets I would go do "accessory work" in supersets like 10 Lateral to front raises followed by 10 reps leg press and repeat for 5 sets.

I would be supersetting the more compound work in 5x10 and then finish off by supersetting the accessory work in 5x10.

So for example, on Monday (OHP, Squats, Smith machine z-press, Lateral to front raises, Leg press),

I would do 10 reps OHP, then 10 squats, 10 reps smith machine z-press, then back to OHP for 5 sets.....then after those 5 sets I would go do "accessory work" in supersets like 10 Lateral to front raises followed by 10 reps leg press and repeat for 5 sets.

I would be supersetting the more compound work in 5x10 and then finish off by supersetting the accessory work in 5x10.
    Why? Where do you workout that you can take up three stations for that long?

Still not following the exercise order there. For example, you listed 6 sets of OHP and didn't specify more than one set of squats

Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000) Sherniee is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is your bench grip super wide? If it is, your problem might be magically fixed by narrowing your grip. Your shoulders might just be externally rotating at the bottom so you can touch your chest with your super wide grip.

I'm mainly making this assumption because the pain-free exercises you listed are usually done with a close-ish grip, and with barbells/dumbells you can still go much wider than a hammer chest press (it's also a fixed plane of movement)

However, if you've been lifting for 1.5 years, you really should visit a sports medicine clinic to get that shoulder checked.
    ACE CPT

6'0
    Starting weight 304lbs
    Current weight 176lbs

Sorry. I didn't mean to phrase it like that.

I meant back to ohp, not for 5 sets, but as in repeat the cycle 5 times.

So say I have 2 shoulder exercises and 2 leg exercises, I would do the flowing:

10 reps shoulder exercise #1, 10 reps leg exercise #1, 10 reps shoulder exercise #2, 10 reps leg exercise #2.

I would do this all 5 times, and if I have accessory exercises, I would do the same thing with them after I did that extensive first round of exercises.

My gym tends to be empty. I live in a rural part of Italy....
    Last edited by mhostilis; 07-13-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Correction

If I do a closer grip it hurts but slightly less.

If I do some super wide dips it doesn't hurt, and honestly, this wide chest press has been doing wonders for my chest development....

I will have to get it checked out though....I am relatively poor unfortunately and that has been holding me back from doing so....