jeffincentre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New to site and question regarding protein intake - I'm 300+ pounds

Hello, the answer to my question may be here somewhere but I couldn't find it. I am 310 pounds, 6'1", bmi around 40. My ideal weight would be around 200 pounds. I saw some references to eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. But there is no way I am eating even close to that. Does anyone have any recommendations for my diet. Is it possible I could be hindering my weight loss by not eating enough food? I am looking to shed fat and tone up.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1 gram per lb of lean body mass would be a better recommendation for you.
    0.4 per lb fat minimum.

The rest as you like, can aim for about 1% bodyweight drop a week, so 2-3lbs for you at the moment.

Calorie calculators and all this stuff in detail in the sticky threads at the top of this section
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Beating Average Genetics R4z0rEdge's Avatar
    R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50) R4z0rEdge will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jeffincentre View Post
    Hello, the answer to my question may be here somewhere but I couldn't find it. I am 310 pounds, 6'1", bmi around 40. My ideal weight would be around 200 pounds. I saw some references to eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. But there is no way I am eating even close to that. Does anyone have any recommendations for my diet. Is it possible I could be hindering my weight loss by not eating enough food? I am looking to shed fat and tone up.
    Assuming you're at 30-45% bodyfat at the moment - that puts you at around 165-210lb of lean body mass. Research suggests anywhere between 0.8-1.4g per lb of bodyweight is optimal for those cutting (as a higher protein intake is likely beneficial in a calorie deficit when compared to maintenance). Based on those very rough numbers, I'd shoot for anywhere between 182-231g per day. Less if you're fatter, more if you're leaner at your current weight. I hope that's helpful! :-)

EDIT: Oops I did that with 300lb instead of 310lb. Pretty much exactly the same though.

jeffincentre has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys your answers make a lot more sense than what I had read! Can't wait to get some of this body fat off of me :-)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jeffincentre View Post
    Use your goal weight with which to figure an appropriate amount of calories/macros.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733