Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lynn0721 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Butt getting smaller - need to hear from women who got a round butt from exercise!

So I returned to the gym 3 months ago and I recently noticed that my butt is not only getting smaller, but its starting to get that inverted look - which I personally hate.

About me: I'm naturally a sporty body type - by that I mean I build muscle quickly and my body type is unfortunately an inverted triangle- no hips whatsoever but muscular arms and shoulders. The only thing I have (maybe had) that made my body look feminine was a round, high bubbly butt that just came from genetics. About 6 months ago I lost a lot of weight unintentionally so of course my butt got smaller but it was never inverted and I still had a bubbly butt relative to my size. I'm currently 5'8, 115lbs.

Recently I started doing exercises that were supposedly supposed to make the butt appear even more round by working the gluteus medius and developing the outer quads. I have reduced my cardio to once a week so that I can gain weight but it's mostly Stairmaster, incline walking/jogging or cycling - which I thought was supposed to help make your butt round and high as well??

But it seems like those muscles on my hip/side of glutes are actually starting to cave in and make the butt look less round and more inverted or V shaped. I work my lower body twice a week and it includes those exercises that are specifically for the glutes. So I'm confused about how my butt is getting smaller and I'm really unhappy with this inverted look.

I would like to hear from women who already had butts and have personally gotten a rounded, larger butt from working out. I hope this doesn't sound offensive at all but not really looking for stories of women who started out with flat butts because in my opinion its obvious that working out will help build your butt in that situation. I also don't just want to hear what people have said online or what fitness model said what because as a woman who used to model, I know its all smoke and mirrors and a lot of plastic surgery. I actually know a fitness model who has a fake butt and yet will claim squats gave it to her. So we don't actually know who got their butt by squatting and who is using Photoshop, genetics or plastic surgery. So I would like to hear personal stories.

What am I doing wrong? I have seen a lot of male bodybuilders with this caved in glute look. Maybe because my hips are more narrow the way a male's typically are I can't work the glutes without this happening? And has anyone actually had success with these exercises that DID NOT start out with a flat butt?
    Last edited by Lynn0721; 07-11-2017 at 12:32 AM.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    FYI-

All resistance training can do is increase your muscles size and strength. How your body/ass will look after you do this will depend on: Genetics, bodyfat, how long/hard you've worked (aka how much muscle you've grown)

3 months is barely enough time to get familiar with the movements. Building appreciable muscle will take years. Any visual difference you notice in this timeframe is not as a result of muscle growth.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

Originally Posted by dj924s View Post
    Glute bridges, weighted lunge, and glute pulls. I had a fat butt, lost weight then had a flat butt, lifted, and now have a round butt.
    Glute bridges and weighted lunges are already in my workout - now I'm afraid to do any because this inverted look is happening. But it has never happened before and I used to lift more. Maybe its because I'm thin now that this caved in look is starting to happen?

And can I ask how much you lift on your glute bridges?
    Last edited by Lynn0721; 07-11-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
    FYI-

All resistance training can do is increase your muscles size and strength. How your body/ass will look after you do this will depend on: Genetics, bodyfat, how long/hard you've worked (aka how much muscle you've grown)

3 months is barely enough time to get familiar with the movements. Building appreciable muscle will take years. Any visual difference you notice in this timeframe is not as a result of muscle growth.
    1. That's why I said my bubble butt was genetics as is my muscular body type. I look muscular when I haven't worked out in ages. I've always had a round butt and I've never weighed more than 127lbs. The point is that now I'm losing it.

2. I RETURNED to the gym 3 months ago - I did not just start lifting. However because I'm thinner now I did just start to do work specifically for my glutes because I'm upset that I lost them a little with the weight loss. The worry is that these exercises are now changing the shape of my butt and making me lose even more of my butt - not that I'm trying to see huge muscle growth in 3 months.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Lynn0721 View Post
    1. That's why I said my bubble butt was genetics as is my muscular body type. I look muscular when I haven't worked out in ages. I've always had a round butt and I've never weighed more than 127lbs. The point is that now I'm losing it.

2. I RETURNED to the gym 3 months ago - I did not just start lifting. However because I'm thinner now I did just start to do work specifically for my glutes because I'm upset that I lost them a little with the weight loss. The worry is that these exercises are now changing the shape of my butt and making me lose even more of my butt - not that I'm trying to see huge muscle growth in 3 months.
    Like i said: The only way an exercise can "change the shape" of a bodypart is by adding muscle to it. Which hasn't happened (to a degree significant enough to make a visible difference) in 3 months. So your worry is completely unfounded.

Like i said: The only way an exercise can "change the shape" of a bodypart is by adding muscle to it. Which hasn't happened (to a degree significant enough to make a visible difference) in 3 months. So your worry is completely unfounded.
    If an exercise added muscle to a body part wouldn't that increase the size of a body part? What you are saying would seem to apply if I said that my butt was getting a lot bigger and rounder in 3 months. And the theories about exercising are great but theory doesn't matter if practice isn't agreeing with it. In practice the butt IS starting to cave in - that's a fact. And the only thing that I've done differently is change my butt and cardio exercises.

If an exercise added muscle to a body part wouldn't that increase the size of a body part? What you are saying would seem to apply if I said that my butt was getting a lot bigger and rounder in 3 months. And the theories about exercising are great but theory doesn't matter if practice isn't agreeing with it. In practice the butt IS starting to cave in - that's a fact. And the only thing that I've done differently is change my butt and cardio exercises.
    Yes- That's the whole premise of bodybuilding. Its not a "theory" either, its just basic biology.

If you want to believe that 3 months of glute exercises is the reason behind your ass "caving in" (whatever THAT may mean) then go ahead- but be aware this belief is not founded in science.

There are other things much more likely to explain with what you're seeing, the most likely thing is you're imagining things, which happens A LOT, and usually people are completely unwilling to even consider this. A change in bodyfat can occur in 3 months, significant enough to produce some visual change for sure. Lastly things like posture/lighting/angles/etc all play a part in the perception of ones body.

Yes- That's the whole premise of bodybuilding. Its not a "theory" either, its just basic biology.

If you want to believe that 3 months of glute exercises is the reason behind your ass "caving in" (whatever THAT may mean) then go ahead- but be aware this belief is not founded in science.

There are other things much more likely to explain with what you're seeing, the most likely thing is you're imagining things, which happens A LOT, and usually people are completely unwilling to even consider this. A change in bodyfat can occur in 3 months, significant enough to produce some visual change for sure. Lastly things like posture/lighting/angles/etc all play a part in the perception of ones body.
    Even basic biology is composed of theories and many of them are opposing. Especially in health and fitness which is the field I used to work in so I know everyone likes to believe 100% that their's is the right one. But I'm wondering if you say you don't even know what I'm talking about then how can you say for certain that its not happening?

But yes I totally agree that everything you said could happen is a possibility. Imaging things certainly does happen but I take my measurements once a month so I know its gotten smaller. I put on the same outfit that I love for the gym that usually displays the curves of my butt, and stood in my favorite mirror at the gym to see if it looked like that - so same lighting. Then I checked it again naked (yes its really bothering me!!) and its definitely more inverted.

The body fat percentage idea might be accurate because I haven't had my body fat percentage taken lately so even though this has never happened to my bum before, maybe at this low weight a body fat percentage drop would make it look like that. Thank you!

Even basic biology is composed of theories and many of them are opposing. Especially in health and fitness which is the field I used to work in so I know everyone likes to believe 100% that their's is the right one. But I'm wondering if you say you don't even know what I'm talking about then how can you say for certain that its not happening?

But yes I totally agree that everything you said could happen is a possibility. Imaging things certainly does happen but I take my measurements once a month so I know its gotten smaller. I put on the same outfit that I love for the gym that usually displays the curves of my butt, and stood in my favorite mirror at the gym to see if it looked like that - so same lighting. Then I checked it again naked (yes its really bothering me!!) and its definitely more inverted.

The body fat percentage idea might be accurate because I haven't had my body fat percentage taken lately so even though this has never happened to my bum before, maybe at this low weight a body fat percentage drop would make it look like that. Thank you!
    Again, i'm really not sure exactly what effect you're talking about, photos may help. It sounds like you're saying you think that glute exercises have made your glutes smaller though? This isn't really possible, unless you've been at a caloric deficit, you've lost weight/muscle/fat, and these exercises have contributed to this by burning calories.

The biology i'm talking about is just the fact that muscle growth doesn't happen fast enough to have a significant visual effect in the timeframe we're discussing.

Again, i'm really not sure exactly what effect you're talking about, photos may help. It sounds like you're saying you think that glute exercises have made your glutes smaller though? This isn't really possible, unless you've been at a caloric deficit, you've lost weight/muscle/fat, and these exercises have contributed to this by burning calories.

The biology i'm talking about is just the fact that muscle growth doesn't happen fast enough to have a significant visual effect in the timeframe we're discussing.
    Agreed but I'm not talking about butt growth here. That I would never start a thread for because that would be awesome!

I don't really feel comfortable posting a picture of my own butt! Also it seems that because I have less than 50 posts so I can't post links. But if you see Sue Price from behind. The sides of her glutes cave in instead of rounding out like most women. Mine isn't that extreme of course but the sides are starting to cave in like that. So that they look like elephant ears. I've mostly only seen this on some men who work out. Their butts will sometimes get very narrow and cave in on the sides. Not on the hips like women who have hip dips complain about but the glutes actually look like they are squeezed together or constantly contracted somehow. Sorry I'm not sure how to explain it properly in words!

This inverted nonsense started happening only recently. I am 12 lbs below my normal weight right now but I recently gained 1 kilo. When I was 3 kilos thinner, way too thin in my opinion, my butt was still not shaped like that.

At this point i'll wait for one of the ladies to chime in. Something doesn't really add up here with your weigh ins and the reported effect.

I highly suspect the trait you're describing is genetic, much like the shape of the ab muscles.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm currently 5'8, 115lbs
    You are underweight. Of course your butt is going to be small. It's muscle and fat, both of which you are lacking.

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    You are underweight. Of course your butt is going to be small. It's muscle and fat, both of which you are lacking.
    Except that at 48 kilos the butt still didn't cave in and it was still bubbly because its just shaped that way genetically. My butt is the only place I've ever really had fat - there are no curves elsewhere- that's why its bugging me so much. Now I'm up to 52 kilos but not to where I used to be and its suddenly caving in.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Asks a question, gets a solid answer, not what they wanted to hear so refutes with a know-it-all attitude....

OP...at 5'8" 118# or whatever, nothing will lol muscular. You are underweight and headed the wrong direction even if you are doing all the correct lifts. Time to gain some weight.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I find it hard to believe that your butt was bubbly at 105 lbs at your height.

dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000)
    FYI-

This. Whatever the changes you're seeing is likely just some fat loss. At your height and weight, you sound very skinny.

Women can barely make any visible muscle gains within a year, let alone 3 months. I suggest working out consistently, eating at a caloric surplus and not worrying about anything for about a year. Then assess your looks and make corrections.

I understand how you have a very specific goal but unless you just want a big fat ass, it can't be built quickly.

okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) okayest is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your lean mass isn't static. You've probably lost some since however long ago it was that you were 48 kg. Losing muscle also happens when you lose weight and you mentioned you recently lost a lot. So now your butt isn't as built as it used to be.

Stairmaster and walking at an incline won't build your muscle. They are too low in intensity. I'd suggest checking out the book Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. It's going to take a lot of time, effort and food for you to build the A-shape butt you want.

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    Asks a question, gets a solid answer, not what they wanted to hear so refutes with a know-it-all attitude....

OP...at 5'8" 118# or whatever, nothing will lol muscular. You are underweight and headed the wrong direction even if you are doing all the correct lifts. Time to gain some weight.
    Not refuting solid information - refuting information that would be solid if it weren't for the facts already in place.Which are my butt was bubbly up until recently. Not big but round and high and much bigger than the average girl my size - as in it sticks out much further- i already said I have no hips so my butt has never been wide.

Also as I already stated I was not expecting muscle gains but I was not expecting loss when I GAINED a kilo or this weird new shape. The biggest issue is that its caving in. Also I already stated I'm underweight and in the process of trying to gain it back.

My original post might have been too long for people to read the details or perhaps I should have worded the question differently.

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    I find it hard to believe that your butt was bubbly at 105 lbs at your height.
    Because you find it hard to believe that people have different body types? And if I explain it to you, its just going to seem like I'm fishing for compliments or bragging about my butt. Basically at 115lbs I do not have a big butt - I have a bubbly butt. My joke is my fat only ever goes to my stomach and my butt even when I weigh my usual 125. That's just how every woman in my family is built.

katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) katya422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by okayest View Post
    Your lean mass isn't static. You've probably lost some since however long ago it was that you were 48 kg. Losing muscle also happens when you lose weight and you mentioned you recently lost a lot. So now your butt isn't as built as it used to be.
    This is what I suspect. You don't say how long ago you were smaller but still had a booty. You likely lost some of the muscle that was creating that roundness.Then when you lost the fat you could see the muscle loss more. Next you started exercise and the remaining muscle is staying tighter/more contracted so you say you look "caved in".

Pretty common for us now to work sedentary jobs and stop using the glute muscles like we should. Also aging can be a factor.

I had a nicer rounder backside when I was 18 and didn't even try.

Whatever, the answer is still keep a calorie surplus to add fat and keep training to add muscle.
    INTP Crew
    Inattentive ADD Crew
    Mom That Miscs Crew

dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000) dyvokoza is just really nice. (+1000)
    ...I'm... just going to be the one to point out that after you're done obsessing about the appearance of your ass, you might look into the fact you're 5 ft 8 with 115 lbs on your frame.

Being undernourished sounds like the bigger issue. If you're not competing, maybe set your priorities straight. Suggestion:

#1: healthy weight and healthy bf% (I'm not saying "be at 22%". But I'm saying "don't go below 17% or where ever your period fails for a long time".)
    #2: healthy cardiovascular system
    #3: symmetric development
    #4: functional physique

You sort those out and the rest is gonna get there.

patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) patmos1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink

You going back to the same weight as when you had the butt you liked doesnt mean your body conposition is still the same. Maybe u lost the fat and gained back muscle and now your gluteus maximus is more apparent ? Work on your outside glute ( which i struggle with too ) and gain back weight so it can be a mix of both muscle and fat. Seems like you have the same body type as me so your weight gain should go in all the right places

noBSplease has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At this point i'll wait for one of the ladies to chime in. Something doesn't really add up here with your weigh ins and the reported effect.

I highly suspect the trait you're describing is genetic, much like the shape of the ab muscles.
    Hi OP, I'm a lady about your age, a cpt, and gonna kudos everything this gentleman has said. I'd also like to give you some insight to your problem:
    As a woman you have more muscle fibers that become dense and shrink versus the type that hypertrophy and grow. Growth takes years of hard work for women. Work your assests to make them grow. I'm not talking endurance toning or booty work. I'm talking heavy lifting. And refeeds that will grow the muscles.

If you want a big, round booty, but are getting tiny and toned, then perhaps you are shedding body fat and uncovering very small amounts of muscle? In that case, commit to focusing on your glutes' hypertrophy, and make it a 1 - 2 year project. Invest in a personal trainer that will help you grow a round booty. Avoid a box-butt trainer.

It's alright to shed bodyfat, and our bodies always change. Change is inevitable. If you want a round booty, you must grow one. Hit it from all sides, directions, and ways as often as possible in your workouts.

best wishes.
    Last edited by noBSplease; 07-12-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: clarification

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by noBSplease View Post
    It's alright to shed bodyfat.
    BMI 17.5.
    OP doesn't need to shed anything. If she gained 10lbs over a few months to add fat, and muscle to that area (and in general), she'd like her results, and be healthier altogether.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

My point exactly. I don' think that the op has genetic muscle form issues, or insertion issues, as much as body image issues.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Because you find it hard to believe that people have different body types? And if I explain it to you, its just going to seem like I'm fishing for compliments or bragging about my butt. Basically at 115lbs I do not have a big butt - I have a bubbly butt. My joke is my fat only ever goes to my stomach and my butt even when I weigh my usual 125. That's just how every woman in my family is built.
    Yeah bullshi*.

Get some professional help asap.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBetter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I honestly doubt your booty was big or shapely to begin with because you are very underweight. You just can't have had much muscle or fat at all. I'm your height and looked my best a couple years ago at 140 lbs... People were telling me I was getting too skinny so can't imagine 115lbs....

Just focus now on eating more and lifting. Get your metabolic rate tested to help find a starting point. Your metabolism might be slower than it should be.

PtmLadybug is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    >5'8" and 115

Holy fart nuggets how did I miss that.

OP is dangerously underweight. Any decent amount of lean mass would put a 5'8"female at 135-150 easy. As a 5'7" 16yo pre-pubescent, training 6-8 hrs/day, I was still at 125 with literally zero visable body fat and probably around 9% actual. 125 was scary thin for me and it was only necessary due to the mechanics of the sport.

OP needs to dirty bulk her ass back on.

PtmLadybug is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Upon further reflection and research into this "inverted butt" you referred to, it seems to be most common in older women as it's generally the result of a drop in estrogen due to menopause. If I had to guess (and pictures would make this a lot easier) your low weight is torching your lady chemicals (not uncommon with athletes) and it's causing fat redistribution to the midsection. If you notice you are beginning to gain abdominal weight, (and this sounds crazy, I know) you need to gain weight in order to get your midsection back.

Aren't hormones fun?

WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm presuming by 'inverted butt' you mean a bodybuilder butt?

It may be genetics, but considering you have said that you have been focusing on your gluteus medius, it could also be the overdevelopment of your upper glutes through external rotation and hip abduction exercises.

Try reducing the amount of abduction exercises (i.e: gluteus medius work) you’re doing and focus more on hip extension exercises (hip thrusts, bridges etc)