Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thursday, 10/25/18, Final session of Week 67, finally got a little bit of energy back. Still minimal on the volume, but threw in gratuitous sets and minor accessories. My total weights moved for this week were barely above that of the previous week. But the toe was finally able to support some pushups. And the big news is I finally got that 205x1 bench press. Well, maybe not big news, but it's a step in the right direction. Two years ago I did 5 reps at that weight, so I'm still struggling to return to past glories.

Bench Press:
    94x5
    118x5
    141x5
    165x5
    193x3 -- Failed Rep #4
    193x2 -- Revenge set!
    205x1 -- Gratuitous!
    141x10

Squat:
    111x5
    138x5
    166x5
    193x5
    226x4
    235x2 -- Gratuitous!
    166x10

BB Row:
    107x5
    134x5
    161x5
    188x5
    220x4 -- Still a bit of form breakdown
    225x2 -- Gratuitous!
    161x10

Overhead Press:
    55x5
    69x5
    83x5
    96x5
    113x3 -- Failed Rep #4
    113x2 -- Revenge set!
    115x1 -- Gratuitous!
    83x10

Accessories:
    Pullups, 2 sets, 35 lb plate hanging: 7 + 7, 14 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 2 sets: 45 + 46, 91 reps total.

So, I go into Sunday with high hopes, and low IQ. Adventure awaits, as always.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Oh that's terrible about the flooding. That's gotta be a pain to deal with insurance for all that too.

You'll get it, you have the strength and ability within you! When I miss a single like that I just chalk it up to wearing the wrong shirt (long sleeves weigh more), or wearing my watch (that's even heavier!), or of course the sun was in my eyes. You got this EH!
    As a long-ago girlfriend told my mother on their first (and last) meeting,
    "Oh, he's got it in him, it's getting it out of him that's the problem!"

I figured if she was having problems getting it out of me, she was probably trying too hard.

I did get it this Thursday, finally, and now the challenge will be to make myself wonder how that ever could have been a challenge.
    -Voltaire

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Thursday, 10/25/18, Final session of Week 67, finally got a little bit of energy back. Still minimal on the volume, but threw in gratuitous sets and minor accessories. My total weights moved for this week were barely above that of the previous week. But the toe was finally able to support some pushups. And the big news is I finally got that 205x1 bench press. Well, maybe not big news, but it's a step in the right direction. Two years ago I did 5 reps at that weight, so I'm still struggling to return to past glories.

Bench Press:
    94x5
    118x5
    141x5
    165x5
    193x3 -- Failed Rep #4
    193x2 -- Revenge set!
    205x1 -- Gratuitous!
    141x10

So, I go into Sunday with high hopes, and low IQ. Adventure awaits, as always.
    Reading your journal is always a fun...............wish that's not only because of my high hope and low IQ. Anyway, adventures are always welcome even though with our age we must create our own.....or probably that's why it's such a fun!!
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Ah, well— I did ask for adventure...

The adventure now is that I’m “enjoying” an unplanned break from lifting for a week or so. Among my other misadventures from the previous week one I hadn’t mentioned was that I’d been feeling a twinge in my lower abdomen on the right side. Not exactly a groin problem, but when I looked it up it seems to be the iliacus muscle, which is one of the thigh flexors. I may have pulled it while doing yard work earlier in the week. It felt tight, but didn’t seem to interfere with any lifts. It faded as the week went on, and by Saturday was pretty much gone.
    Then, on Sunday, while I was working on observatory construction, it flared back up again with a vengeance. During my evening workout, I got through the bench presses ok, even though I could feel it tightening again, but I was useless for squatting. Even with body weight, it was painful going to depth. With warmup weights on the bar it was worse, and once I tried for a working load, it was useless. After the first rep at 168 pounds, I felt like I was on the verge of a real injury, and rather than try to push through, I just called it a night. Since then it’s been sore, and I’m definitely walking gingerly. I’ll see about giving it a week, then dropping the weight a bit and working my way back up. Because I need to take another week off during the week of November 16-25, I won’t be back up to current levels for a while. Frustrating for sure, but those things are bound to happen from time to time. Better to deal with it now than let it get chronic. Not sure if it needs any treatment other than rest, but we’ll see how it goes over the next few days.

In the meantime, I’m still around to harass the rest of you—for your own good, of course.
    -Voltaire

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That’s one thing that we old lifters have learned: the progress delayed by avoiding an injury is insignificant compared to the progress lost when rehabbing from an significant injury.

Best wishes!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    That’s one thing that we old lifters have learned: the progress delayed by avoiding an injury is insignificant compared to the progress lost when rehabbing from an significant injury.

Best wishes!
    Ain't it the truth!

I can't wait to try again Sunday, I'm starting to chafe. It feels like I've got the range of motion back, and the stiffness is gone, although the muscle is still a bit sore and tender. I tried a few bodyweight squats today, and they went fine. A few more days of rest might be all it needs.
    -Voltaire

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fingers crossed for you.

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ah, last year I did something to my left hip. I felt it snap. Seriously snap. Since I was in a Third World country, "silent, internal freak out" would best describe my reaction. I had been working out in my tiny room and now could barely move. Couldn't get down on the floor to do pushups and never mind squats -- going up and down stairs was nearly agonizing. Over a year later, no one can tell me what I did, but it still flares up...like today, after a long jog, it's stiff. Spent money on physical therapy which was utterly useless. I did find a good massage therapist who discovered it was likely tied to an abdominal attachment. She worked hard on my left side under my rib cage and it got better. But the only thing that actually helps, as I discovered a few weeks ago, is cross-bench pullovers. I got up from that first set and my first thought was, "My hip feels normal!"

I feel your pain on so many levels.

Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Ah, last year I did something to my left hip. I felt it snap. Seriously snap. Since I was in a Third World country, "silent, internal freak out" would best describe my reaction. I had been working out in my tiny room and now could barely move. Couldn't get down on the floor to do pushups and never mind squats -- going up and down stairs was nearly agonizing. Over a year later, no one can tell me what I did, but it still flares up...like today, after a long jog, it's stiff. Spent money on physical therapy which was utterly useless. I did find a good massage therapist who discovered it was likely tied to an abdominal attachment. She worked hard on my left side under my rib cage and it got better. But the only thing that actually helps, as I discovered a few weeks ago, is cross-bench pullovers. I got up from that first set and my first thought was, "My hip feels normal!"

I feel your pain on so many levels.
    I can’t imagine the frustration that must cause, Athena. Or maybe I can. That’s a long time to have to deal with it, though, and a bad place for it to happen. I’m glad you found a way around it, and I hope it continues to behave for you.
    My pull is much better now, and I successfully got through my Sunday deload workout, which I hope to post tonight. I’ll be trying to keep up with the election returns between sets — probably not the best way to go about it.
    -Voltaire

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Glad it's feeling better EH. It was definitely the right call to take a few days of rest. I'm always getting paranoid and thinking ahead like hmmm if I break my hand I guess I can still just go run a lot, and if I twist an ankle I can do a lot of seated rows and OHP. Hell there are guys with one hand who still compete in PL. Always gotta calm myself down with any injury, it'll all be fine, just protein and chill for a minute.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Dave I'm sorry about the reason for your absence somehow I missed your post. The muscle you mentioned is an antagonist muscle to hamstring, and here in Japan many professional athletes regard as one of the most important muscles for running, jumping and protecting the body from gravity. Take care, I have nothing to add, for you are the survivor of the hardest here with my utmost respect. *bow*
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

Glad it's feeling better EH. It was definitely the right call to take a few days of rest. I'm always getting paranoid and thinking ahead like hmmm if I break my hand I guess I can still just go run a lot, and if I twist an ankle I can do a lot of seated rows and OHP. Hell there are guys with one hand who still compete in PL. Always gotta calm myself down with any injury, it'll all be fine, just protein and chill for a minute.
    Yeah, there are a "binders of athletes" who have a lot more courage in their little finger than I will ever have. I find that I admire these people greatly, but I have no desire to be like them. Hopefully, I can keep myself in one piece!

My week off was about three weeks premature, I'm taking off the week of Thanksgiving, and I recently learned I'm going to have to take off the week after that as well, due to work-related travel. I'd hoped to keep going until then, and then do my deload and reset. But this "episode", while not quite a true injury, felt a bit like a warning. I was already starting to feel a little weary and rundown, and I think my workouts were showing it. So I did my reset this week, have two weeks of a cycle, and deload back to this weeks levels and reset again to pick up on the first week of December. I should be well rested, and a few pounds fatter, by then.
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    Dave I'm sorry about the reason for your absence somehow I missed your post. The muscle you mentioned is an antagonist muscle to hamstring, and here in Japan many professional athletes regard as one of the most important muscles for running, jumping and protecting the body from gravity. Take care, I have nothing to add, for you are the survivor of the hardest here with my utmost respect. *bow*
    I do believe you're right, Kaz. This particular muscle is making itself felt in every exercise I do. The only exceptions are ones where I don't really use my core, like pullups. But bench presses, pushups, overhead presses, deadlifts, and especially squats all trigger it. Sometimes its in tension, like when I'm trying to keep my core stiff, and other times as in squats when its in flexure, especially when I get close to the bottom.

Ironically enough, it wasn't the weights that led to the pull, it was completely mundane yard work. I was carrying a shovel in the back yard and I simply turned to the left while walking. It wasn't a sharp pain, but I could suddenly feel that something had gotten out of place. It was stiff and sore, and a little swollen for several days. It's still a bit tender and I can certainly feel it when I work out, but it doesn't seem to restrict anything and it doesn't feel torn. I don't think the movements I'm doing are threatening to damage it any further.

It's not stopping me this week, at least!
    -Voltaire

So I have two sessions to catch up with in this Week 69: Sunday and Tuesday. I backed the weights off 10% from my previous levels, but I did add volume, no longer limiting myself to 5 reps on all the sets. Sunday things came out pretty good, my sore muscle was not an obstacle. A week of idleness made itself seen on the scale, though. I put on 3 pounds in a week, all of it fat, I'm sure. I want to look svelte again next summer, but for now I'm keeping the pressure on, as long as the lifts will move up in response. If they don't, I'll try something else.

Sunday Morning Weight: 170 lbs, body fat ~>13%.

Bench Press:
    86x5
    108x5
    129x7
    151x7
    172x6

Squat:
    102x5
    128x5
    154x7
    179x6
    205x5

BB Row:
    100x5
    125x5
    150x7
    175x7
    200x5

Overhead Press:
    51x5
    63x5
    76x7
    88x7
    101x5

Accessories:
    Pullups/Chinups, 5 sets -- 3 set pullups + 2 sets chinups, 35 lb plate hanging: 7 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6, 31 reps total
    Pushups w/grip handles, 3 sets: 46 + 46 + 44, 136 total.
    Close-Grip Bench Presses, 2 sets, 135 lb BB: 8 + 8, 16 reps total.
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, 2 sets, 110 lb BB: 10 + 10, 20 reps total.
    DB Lateral Raises, 2 sets, 20 lb dumbbells: 10 + 10, 20 sets total.

First time in weeks I'd gotten all the accessories in. It felt good. And it felt stiff and sore the next day! It obviously hit a loft of places I'd been neglecting.
    -Voltaire

Tuesday workout, not quite as complete as Sundays. I was distracted listening to the election returns, and my wife was listening and commenting. So laughing at her sometimes got in the way too. It was more an issue of time than anything else, the whole thing took longer than I should have. And there were a couple of sets where in the few seconds between completing my last rep and entering it into the spreadsheet, I actually forgot what I had just lifted! Be assured, though, I eventually figured it out. I didn't invent any alternative facts just so I could say my reps were the biggest evar!

So I ran out of time to do the chinups at the end of the accessories, but I got everything else in. I'll call it good enough.

Incline Bench:
    92x5
    111x5
    129x7
    147x5

Squat:
    102x5
    128x5
    154x7
    154x7

Overhead Press:
    51x5
    63x5
    76x7
    88x7
    88x7

Deadlift:
    197x5
    236x7
    276x6
    315x5

Accessories:
    Pullups, 3 sets, bodyweight: 13 + 12 + 11, 36 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 3 sets: 47 + 46 + 45, 138 total.

The iliacus is still there, still making itself known, but not enough to be an obstacle. I was a little worried about how it would respond to the deadlift, but it was not even uncomfortable. Now, I feel it mostly during pushups.
    -Voltaire

Ironically enough, it wasn't the weights that led to the pull, it was completely mundane yard work. I was carrying a shovel in the back yard and I simply turned to the left while walking. It wasn't a sharp pain, but I could suddenly feel that something had gotten out of place. It was stiff and sore, and a little swollen for several days. It's still a bit tender and I can certainly feel it when I work out, but it doesn't seem to restrict anything and it doesn't feel torn. I don't think the movements I'm doing are threatening to damage it any further.

It's not stopping me this week, at least!
    I think it was Jay Leno who during an awards speech had a great joke about how when he was younger he had a motorcycle accident and was able to do his tv show the next day. Now that he’s older, “Oww! What made me think I could cough and turn my head at the same time!” (Sorry, that’s the best of my recollection.)

Best wishes for smooth recovery.

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    I think it was Jay Leno who during an awards speech had a great joke about how when he was younger he had a motorcycle accident and was able to do his tv show the next day. Now that he’s older, “Oww! What made me think I could cough and turn my head at the same time!” (Sorry, that’s the best of my recollection.)

Best wishes for smooth recovery.
    Thanks, HGC! I sure understand where he's coming from.

So far so good on this end, though.

Had a reasonable closeout to Week 69 on Thursday night. I was still too beat to do much accessory work, but I did throw in some extra volume on the main lifts. This week and next week will then have to tide me over for a couple of weeks before I can start building up again.

So here's where I stand so far:

Squat:
    102x5
    128x5
    154x7
    179x7
    210x4
    220x2 -- Gratuitous!
    154x10

Bench Press:
    86x5
    108x5
    129x7
    151x7
    177x4
    185x3 -- Gratuitous!
    129x10

BB Row:
    100x5
    125x5
    150x7
    175x7
    205x4
    215x2 -- Gratuitous!
    150x10

Overhead Press:
    51x5
    63x5
    76x7
    88x7
    104x4
    110x2 -- Gratuitous!
    76x10

Accessories:
    Chinups, 2 sets, 35 lb plate hanging: 6 + 5, 11 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 1 set, 46 reps.

Can still feel the iliacus, but it's not a problem.
    -Voltaire

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tuesday workout, not quite as complete as . . .
    When you workout, do you just go to the gym area and stay there throughout the workout? I have done that, but mostly these days, I'm upstairs either reading or spending time with my wife and lifting between chapters or during commercial breaks or between hands of rummy
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ah, well— I did ask for adventure...

The adventure now is that I’m “enjoying” an unplanned break from lifting for a week or so. Among my other misadventures from the previous week one I hadn’t mentioned was that I’d been feeling a twinge in my lower abdomen on the right side. Not exactly a groin problem, but when I looked it up it seems to be the iliacus muscle, which is one of the thigh flexors. I may have pulled it while doing yard work earlier in the week. It felt tight, but didn’t seem to interfere with any lifts. It faded as the week went on, and by Saturday was pretty much gone.
    Then, on Sunday, while I was working on observatory construction, it flared back up again with a vengeance. During my evening workout, I got through the bench presses ok, even though I could feel it tightening again, but I was useless for squatting. Even with body weight, it was painful going to depth. With warmup weights on the bar it was worse, and once I tried for a working load, it was useless. After the first rep at 168 pounds, I felt like I was on the verge of a real injury, and rather than try to push through, I just called it a night. Since then it’s been sore, and I’m definitely walking gingerly. I’ll see about giving it a week, then dropping the weight a bit and working my way back up. Because I need to take another week off during the week of November 16-25, I won’t be back up to current levels for a while. Frustrating for sure, but those things are bound to happen from time to time. Better to deal with it now than let it get chronic. Not sure if it needs any treatment other than rest, but we’ll see how it goes over the next few days.

In the meantime, I’m still around to harass the rest of you—for your own good, of course.
    Injuries are frustrating for sure. Most of us get them over the course of many years. Some serious and some just nagging.

I hope this one is one of those that will go away with a little more time.

Best
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    When you workout, do you just go to the gym area and stay there throughout the workout? I have done that, but mostly these days, I'm upstairs either reading or spending time with my wife and lifting between chapters or during commercial breaks or between hands of rummy
    Well, my wife's studio doesn't have a bathroom, so there is that...

Other than that, though, I spend the whole workout in place, unless I suddenly remember there's a sprinkler going that needs to be turned off or something like that, and then I'll run out and take care of it between sets. I have to be careful not to let that "between sets" activity distract me, otherwise I'll spend way too much time out there.
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Injuries are frustrating for sure. Most of us get them over the course of many years. Some serious and some just nagging.

I hope this one is one of those that will go away with a little more time.

Best
    It's getting better, Mark. I remember we had a thread recently about what we would give to be younger again. Generally, my answer would be "nothing", but there is one thing I do miss about my youth (other than the hordes of women fighting each other for a chance to have me!), and that's the much more rapid healing capacity. I think I've used up my quota of that over time.

Funny, how memory changes with time. I had originally thought that all those women fighting each other for a chance to have me were carrying those torches and pitchforks to use on me! Now, of course, I'm sure that it was just to defend themselves against rivals for my affections...
    -Voltaire

Started week 70 on Sunday night. It's kind of an interim week, since it's just one step past my last deload and I'm not back at regular lifting strength yet. Then there's a two-week hiatus while I'm on travel before I get back and start over at where I had been last week. So this week is just to give me a bit of momentum before the break. Nothing spectacular, a decent workout. Got all the accessories in, though the pullups seemed really weak for some reason. Everything else was acceptable, though.

Morning Weight: 169 lbs, body fat: ~13%.

Bench Press:
    88x5
    111x5
    133x7
    155x7
    177x6

Squat:
    105x5
    131x5
    158x7
    184x7
    210x5

BB Row:
    102x5
    128x5
    154x7
    180x7
    205x5

Overhead Press:
    52x5
    65x5
    78x7
    91x7
    104x5

Accessories:
    Pullups/Chinups, 5 sets, 3 sets pullups + 2 sets chinups, 35 lb plate hanging: 6 + 5 + 5 + 6 + 6, 28 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 3 sets: 47 + 46 + 45, 138 reps total.
    Stiff-legged deadlifts, 2 sets, 110 lbs: 10 + 10, 20 reps total.
    Close-Grip Bench Press, 2 sets, 135 lbs: 8 + 8, 16 reps total.
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise, 2 sets, 20 lb dumbbells: 11 + 11, 22 reps total.

Tuesday will be a late start, unfortunately, so we'll see how far I get.
    -Voltaire

It's getting better, Mark. I remember we had a thread recently about what we would give to be younger again. Generally, my answer would be "nothing", but there is one thing I do miss about my youth (other than the hordes of women fighting each other for a chance to have me!), and that's the much more rapid healing capacity. I think I've used up my quota of that over time.

Funny, how memory changes with time. I had originally thought that all those women fighting each other for a chance to have me were carrying those torches and pitchforks to use on me! Now, of course, I'm sure that it was just to defend themselves against rivals for my affections...
    LOL, you are priceless as a friend and a reward for being a good member of over 35 journal. I don't believe Count Elrondhubbard of Nevada, who was chased by the hordes of women with torches and pitchforks, ever lost his rapid healing capacity and stamina for the nights. Unfortunately, in my case, their husband and boyfriends were the ones who chased me with torches and pitchforks............their intentions were clear by chasing me throughout the night to make sure no energy left for me to spend in...extra activities in b...., haha.

Being young once was enough for me, I have no intention of repeating my youth again with the (seemingly endless at that time ) agonies of growing pains, both physical and psychological. I'd rather surf on the sea of aging with twisted dignity and grumpy attitude.

Congrats on week 70, and expect many more!!
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 11-13-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    LOL, you are priceless as a friend and a reward for being a good member of over 35 journal. I don't believe Count Elrondhubbard of Nevada, who was chased by the hordes of women with torches and pitchforks, ever lost his rapid healing capacity and stamina for the nights. Unfortunately, in my case, their husband and boyfriends were the ones who chased me with torches and pitchforks............their intentions were clear by chasing me throughout the night to make sure no energy left for me to spend in...extra activities in b...., haha.

Being young once was enough for me, I have no intention of repeating my youth again with the (seemingly endless at that time ) agonies of growing pains, both physical and psychological. I'd rather surf on the sea of aging with twisted dignity and grumpy attitude.

Congrats on week 70, and expect many more!!
    Ain’t that the truth, Kaz! It’s often said, and occasionally true, that youth is wasted on the young. I think it’s just as often the case that age is wasted on the old. (And wealth is wasted on the rich?)

I don’t remember too many irate husbands from my youth— maybe one. That’s not due to any great nobility or resistance to temptation on my part, maybe more credit to the discretion of certain bored ladies who agreed with me that “what he doesn’t know won’t hurt me”.
    I’m not real proud of those days, and karma eventually provided its comeuppance in the person of my first wife, and a taste of my own medicine. I can’t say it was completely undeserved, but it was certainly unexpected.

I learned my lesson, and have had many happy years with the wife I should have had in the first place, but might not have appreciated so much had it not been for the experience of my misspent youth.

Not sure how that ties into the youth being wasted on the young line, but it definitely helps describe a certain “twisted dignity!”
    -Voltaire

Second session of Week 70 was last night. I got home late, which meant I had to compress everything a little bit, and, as usual, the thing that suffers then is accessories. Only had one set of bodyweight pullups, and that was a bit pathetic.

Still, the weights themselves went as they should.

One more session on Thursday, then it's off to Texas on Saturday morning.

Incline Bench:
    94x5
    113x7
    132x7
    151x5

Squat:
    105x5
    131x5
    158x7
    158x7

Overhead Press:
    52x5
    65x5
    78x7
    91x7
    91x7

Deadlift:
    202x5
    242x7
    283x6
    323x5

Accessories:
    Pullups, one set, bodyweight: 12 reps.

I had earlier decided to wear a belt on deadlifts over 300 pounds. Completely forgot about that, and didn't remember until well after I was done. I didn't notice it, so I'm guess that the implication is that I can continue to increase. I did need straps for the two heavier sets, though.
    -Voltaire

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Way to hammer those deadlifts! Over 3 plates and no belt, good stuff!
    LMAO! I like to think people who lift in particular are way ahead of the game in older age though. Recovery time and healing capacity may suck but you've built all that muscle which is a huge advantage. Most people I know now that are my age and even younger are physically weak as hell, seriously it blows my mind how many average people can't throw around stuff like a cat litter jug or frozen turkey. I assume that just gets worse and worse with age, those people are going to have a harder time I think. Everybody is going to get old and weak to some extent, but if you go in with guns blazing and biceps flexing you're be alright.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Way to hammer those deadlifts! Over 3 plates and no belt, good stuff!

LMAO! I like to think people who lift in particular are way ahead of the game in older age though. Recovery time and healing capacity may suck but you've built all that muscle which is a huge advantage. Most people I know now that are my age and even younger are physically weak as hell, seriously it blows my mind how many average people can't throw around stuff like a cat litter jug or frozen turkey. I assume that just gets worse and worse with age, those people are going to have a harder time I think. Everybody is going to get old and weak to some extent, but if you go in with guns blazing and biceps flexing you're be alright.
    If I had to make one single argument for lifting in old age, it would be maintaining bone density. Getting fragile, weak and brittle bones is probably my biggest aging fear. That's the other reason I want to keep going as heavy as I can, not just doing reps.

Other than that, though, I think lifting is the closest we can ever get to a fountain of youth. I admit to feeling a little bit smug when I hear people my age moaning about their pains, their health issues, and how the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Especially when they start in about how bad young people are. When I was young, I heard the same thing from people who were the age I am now. I see a fair number of millennials that work in my field, and I'm super impressed with every single one of them. They don't treat me like an old man, because I don't complain about being an old man. Most of them are fitter than the average person their age, but I keep up with them just fine.

And earlier, when I was laid low by my treatments, they were as accommodating as they could be. I hope the world will be in better hands when that generation (your generation?) is actually running the place.
    -Voltaire

My Thursday workout completed week 70, and it was my last session before taking a an out of state trip. There's a possibility that I can use a local gym a couple of times this week, I'll find out Monday. Thursday, the weights were ok, but the accessories simply weren't there. I tried wearing elbow wraps for the pullups, but the upshot of that was that I only got a couple of pullups in. Not even worth logging.

When I get back, I'm going to try a different approach, because I'm really not happy with my lack of success in finishing the accessories lately. Not sure exactly what I'll do, I'm going to be studying the resources I can find before trying it.

Again, though, the weights were ok, and when I get restarted, I'll either repeat the baseline of the previous week or repeat the most recent week to work my way up in.

Squat:
    105x5
    131x5
    158x7
    184x7
    215x4
    225x2 -- Gratuitous!
    158x10

Bench Press:
    88x5
    111x5
    133x7
    155x7
    181x4
    190x3 -- Gratuitous!
    133x10

BB Row:
    102x5
    128x5
    153x7
    179x7
    209x4
    215x2 -- Gratuitous!
    153x10

Overhead Press:
    52x5
    65x5
    78x7
    91x7
    106x4
    112x2 -- Gratuitous!
    78x10

Accessories:
    None worth mentioning.

I'll be busy the next three days, and I may or may not find a place to work out. But I'll be active, at least!
    -Voltaire

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    . . . and it was my last session before taking a an out of state trip. There's a possibility that I can use a local gym a couple of times this week, I'll find out Monday.

I'll be busy the next three days, and I may or may not find a place to work out.
    I hope you get the chance. I find that working out in a public gym is good for the ego There's not many guys with your . . .ahem . . . hair color (which coincidentally matches my beard!) that can squat two plates per side or do as many bodyweight pull-ups (nevermind the ultracool weighted ones) as you do!
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Well the ego is just going to have to wait... I have the whole place to myself tonight. Makes me miss my homemade poverty gym. The rack here is a bit more professional than my lumber-and-pipe job, but I have better bar, bench and collars. Still, it does what I need to do.
    -Voltaire