Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I guess you can call it Week 71 after all! I did what was essentially a Sunday night workout on Monday night. The bar was 18.5 kilograms instead of the regulation 20. I thought it felt a bit light while doing the bench presses. I found a bathroom scale in, of all places, the bathroom, and weighed myself and then myself+bar, and took the difference. That's about a 4 pound difference between the standard bar and the bar at this little gym, so I had to make the appropriate adjustments. I omitted collars, and put an extra five pounds on the bar for every lift.

The rack was wobbly, and took some getting used to, but I did like that I could do neutral-grip pullups on it. I've never done those before, and I like them a lot. I'm going to have to figure out a way to do those at home.

No micro-loading, of course. Everything is a multiple of five, except for the bench press where I did use collars before I figured out the bar weight.

Bench Press:
    86x5
    106x5
    131x7
    151x7
    176x6

Squat:
    100x5
    130x5
    160x7
    185x7
    210x5

BB Row:
    100x5
    125x5
    155x7
    180x7
    205x5

Overhead Press:
    55x5
    65x5
    80x7
    90x7
    105x5

Accessories:
    Neutral-grip pullups, Bodyweight, 3 sets: 13 + 12 + 11 reps, 36 reps total.
    Stiff-legged Deadlifts, 2 sets: 110x10 + 115x10.
    DB Lateral raises, 2 sets, 20 lbs each side: 20x10 + 20x10.

Here are some pictures of the free weight room. I have no idea what kind of bar it is, I imagine a cheap CAP gotten second-hand. The rack was not bolted to the floor, and one of the bottom cross-peices was warped, so it was rather carelessly over-shimmed.

Ah, the joys of the small-town gym!

This was in Llano, Texas, where I'm helping to clean up some of last month's flood damage at my late parents home. It may be the last time I ever visit the place, so it's kind of a bitter-sweet trip.

Attached Images
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Accessories:
    Neutral-grip pullups, Bodyweight, 3 sets: 13 + 12 + 11 reps, 36 reps total.
    What's your favorite grip: pull-up, chin-up, or neutral? I assume you used the chin-up attachment mounted on the rack(?). I tend to favor the neutral grip, but I do pull-ups when my wife and I go to her gym because that's what they have that's near the bench that I superset pulling exercise with (but press first, then pull).
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    What's your favorite grip: pull-up, chin-up, or neutral? I assume you used the chin-up attachment mounted on the rack(?). I tend to favor the neutral grip, but I do pull-ups when my wife and I go to her gym because that's what they have that's near the bench that I superset pulling exercise with (but press first, then pull).
    I had never done neutral grip pull-ups until Monday night, believe it or not. Much easier on the elbows, and I think they worked both the lats and the biceps just a little differently than what I’m used to. I really liked it, and hope to do it a lot more in the future.
    -Voltaire

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had never done neutral grip pull-ups until Monday night, believe it or not. Much easier on the elbows, and I think they worked both the lats and the biceps just a little differently than what I’m used to. I really liked it, and hope to do it a lot more in the future.
    I love neutral grip pull ups. You're firing a lot more motor units with that grip than with the overhand pull up grip and even the underhand chin up grip, which is why you can pull more weight that way. So much easier on the elbows, yes. As far as overhand pull up grips go, I think the key is to get your hand width correct for your body and the angle correct as well -- this means not just your pinky fingers pointing down on an angle but possibly your hands turned inwards a bit (so pinkies down and in a bit). I've had people with horrible shoulders who could do assisted pull ups this way, but of course not everything is for everyone.

That Oly bar may be the same kind that we have -- it's old...really old. Ours weighs a hair over 50 pounds and we can't find collars for it to save our lives. Seriously. It's just too big to fit today's collars that are made for today's wimpy Oly bars (LOL).

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Neutral grip pullups or Hammer grip pullups are a great way to change up. I love them.

Llano, Texas, a little NW of Austin. Nice little town. Sorry to hear about the flooding. My gym was flooded with 4 to 5 feet of water and I am still going to an alternative until the new gym is finished next Spring.

I like the old-school weights and rack. You can do a lot with it.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    Neutral grip pullups or Hammer grip pullups are a great way to change up. I love them.

Llano, Texas, a little NW of Austin. Nice little town. Sorry to hear about the flooding. My gym was flooded with 4 to 5 feet of water and I am still going to an alternative until the new gym is finished next Spring.

I like the old-school weights and rack. You can do a lot with it.
    Holy cow, that's quite a flood! I hope all the gear didn't rust!

I love Llano, and was fond of it even before my folks decided to retire there. Their place is about 17 miles upriver, on a high bank that you would think from looking would be above any conceivable flood zone. Boy was that a mistake!

It was a place the whole extended family could use for vacations and reunions, and there are a lot of happy memories there. Here's a picture of the river in happier times...

fishing.jpg

This is from about the same spot last week. You can see flood debris at the tops of the trees.

lookingdownstream.jpg

And this is the back of the house. There used to be a large redwood deck behind the door, big enough for about 10 people to gather for meals and conversations. When it washed away, it took a big portion of the back wall covering the utility area with it. The water rose to about the height of the first plank below the back windows, about waist high inside the house. A lot of cleanup work has already been done, but there's a lot more to go.

backofHouse.jpg
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    I love neutral grip pull ups. You're firing a lot more motor units with that grip than with the overhand pull up grip and even the underhand chin up grip, which is why you can pull more weight that way. So much easier on the elbows, yes. As far as overhand pull up grips go, I think the key is to get your hand width correct for your body and the angle correct as well -- this means not just your pinky fingers pointing down on an angle but possibly your hands turned inwards a bit (so pinkies down and in a bit). I've had people with horrible shoulders who could do assisted pull ups this way, but of course not everything is for everyone.

That Oly bar may be the same kind that we have -- it's old...really old. Ours weighs a hair over 50 pounds and we can't find collars for it to save our lives. Seriously. It's just too big to fit today's collars that are made for today's wimpy Oly bars (LOL).
    I was inspired enough by doing them there I had to figure out a way to do them at home. Here's the setup I ended up with in my wife's studio, where my rack is. Just a few loops of rope, tape, and short pipe segments. I tried them last night, and was pretty happy with it. Maybe a little too wide, but not bad.

NeutralGrips.jpg

Should be a total 640 pound capacity, if I read the label on the rope correctly.
    -Voltaire

And after all that, yes I really did work out Sunday night. So, call it week 72. More maintenance than anything, I won't be able to do a full week's workout until next week, since I'm leaving tomorrow morning for another out of town trip.

The big thing was just to get some time under the bar, and not let it slack too much. I did the same weights as the Sunday before last, and an abbreviated couple of accessories. Still a bit tired from the last trip, so I called it a night early.

Morning weight: 172.2

Bench Press:
    88x5
    111x5
    133x7
    155x7
    177x6

Squat:
    105x5
    131x5
    158x7
    185x7
    210x5

BB Row:
    102x5
    128x5
    155x7
    180x7
    205x5

Overhead Press:
    52x5
    65x5
    78x7
    91x7
    105x5

Accessories:
    Pullups, 2 sets, neutral grip, 35 lb plate: 6 + 5, 11 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 2 sets: 43 + 38, 81 reps total.

Can't wait until the week is over!
    -Voltaire

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Should be a total 640 pound capacity, if I read the label on the rope correctly.
    You did take into account the angle of the rope and calculate the components of the X and Y vectors . . . didn't you I don't know if you've ever worked with a good maintenance person, but it's neat how they take straps and a bar and can exert great tension on things to be moved. The straps themselves typically include load ratings when in pure tension and the derated loads when angled as you've done.

I like how you've got the handles snubbed up close to the bar to minimize swinging. With mine (which by necessity hang 18" or so from my ceiling), I invariably will start swinging: slowly at first but with greater movement each rep.

You did take into account the angle of the rope and calculate the components of the X and Y vectors . . . didn't you I don't know if you've ever worked with a good maintenance person, but it's neat how they take straps and a bar and can exert great tension on things to be moved. The straps themselves typically include load ratings when in pure tension and the derated loads when angled as you've done.

I like how you've got the handles snubbed up close to the bar to minimize swinging. With mine (which by necessity hang 18" or so from my ceiling), I invariably will start swinging: slowly at first but with greater movement each rep.
    Now I would have thought that angling the lines UPrated the loads rather than derating them. Now you've given me something else to research, damn you!

The idea is that a rope attached horizontally at each end will support a heavier load than one with a single attachment and the load on the end. Angle the rope and the load capacity is some trigonometric factor between that horizontal capacity and a vertical one.

However, that's partly or more than fully canceled out by a sharp bend in the corners, which I releived to a certain extent by wrapping those vulnerable sections with tape.
    Splitting the difference, I ingeniously solved the problem rigorously by taking the load rating of each line and adding them together.

Of course, the idea that I may be full of it and not have a clue what I am talking about is something that a Humble Megalomaniac should never have to consider.

Anyway, I'll never be putting anywhere near 300 pounds on the whole assembly, much less 640, so I expect to survive.
    -Voltaire

Got home Wednesday evening, and I was eager to hit the weights Thursday night. This will be the end of week 72. I got the first and third days done, but not the second, so my Deadlift day will have to stay the same as on week 70. I did a bit better than I expected, but I have to say that road trips are exhausting under the best of circumstances, and my energy was low. I took more time than I should have, and didn't do any accessories.

After studying a few bits of advice on programming, I decided not to call any of my extra peaking lifts "Gratuitous" any more. I need the extra volume and intensity if I'm going to continue to progress, so I'm just going to include it as part of my programming.

Bench Press:
    88x5
    111x5
    133x7
    155x7
    181x5
    190x3
    133x11

Squat:
    105x5
    131x5
    158x7
    185x7
    215x4
    225x3
    158x10

BB Row:
    102x5
    128x5
    153x7
    180x7
    210x4
    215x3
    153x10

Overhead Press:
    52x5
    65x5
    78x7
    91x7
    106x5
    112x2
    78x10

No Accessories...

Looking forward to Sunday, the start of a real week of workouts. Hopefully I'll be more ready to hit the whole bit and make progress.
    -Voltaire

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    I remember 13 years ago watching raging Hurricane Katrina on CNN (cable TV), during and after. America is a big country and so the disasters. But her resilient people always rebound and not only back on their feet but rise higher than before. We admire you.

72 weeks, Dave, you did really great and we know you'll do greater. Looking forward to your 105th week, we'll get there together among the good people here. *bow*
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    I remember 13 years ago watching raging Hurricane Katrina on CNN (cable TV), during and after. America is a big country and so the disasters. But her resilient people always rebound and not only back on their feet but rise higher than before. We admire you.

72 weeks, Dave, you did really great and we know you'll do greater. Looking forward to your 105th week, we'll get there together among the good people here. *bow*
    Thanks, Kaz. We 'murcans aren't alone in showing resiliancy, though. You guys have done it more than your share of times.
    -Voltaire

Got two workouts to post today. Week 73 is off to a fine start: Not perfect, but shows promise. I'll focus on Sunday first.

My original plan was just to repeat the same weights as from Week 70, since I didn't expect to get any significant work done for the next two. But I did manage to get a token workout in Week 71, and two workouts out of Week 72, so I moved up to the programmed weights for Week 71. I'm mostly just two weeks behind instead of three. Felt pretty good, and I got decent accessories in.

Morning Weight: 172.8 lbs

Bench Press:
    91x5
    113x5
    136x7
    159x7
    181x6

Squat:
    108x5
    135x5
    162x7
    189x7
    215x5

BB Row:
    105x5
    131x5
    157x7
    183x7
    210x5

Overhead Press:
    53x5
    66x5
    80x7
    93x7
    106x5

Accessories:
    Neutral-gripPullups, 3 sets, 35 lb plate added: 6 + 5 + 5, 16 reps total.
    Supinated Chinups, 2 sets, 35 pound plate: 5 + 5, 10 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 3 sets: 46 + 44 + 41, 131 reps total.
    Stiff-legged Deadlifts, 2 sets, 115 pounds: 12 + 12, 24 reps total.
    Close-grip bench press, 2 sets, 135 pounds: 7 + 8, 15 reps total.

I may have the handles on the pullups a little wider than is optimal, or maybe I just need to get used to it. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.
    -Voltaire

Tuesday night had good and bad. I took it slow -- too slow, actually. I took a break for more than a half an hour between the Overhead Press and the Deadlifts, which gave me time to collect more fatigue and made the accessories suffer. I tried paused squats for the first time on my two warmup weights. They were definitely hard! I also paid close attention to form on the deadlifts and overhead presses, and I think the form turned out ok. I watched some videos and listened to a couple of lectures on form and programming while I was waiting, which I think might help in the long run.

Incline Bench:
    94x5
    113x7
    132x7
    151x5

Squat:
    108x5 -- paused
    135x5 -- paused
    162x7
    162x7

Overhead Press:
    53x5
    66x5
    80x7
    93x7
    93x7

Deadlift:
    202x5
    242x7
    283x7
    323x5

Accessories:
    Neutral-grip pullups, bodyweight, 1 set, 12 reps
    -Voltaire

Finished Week 73 with an ok workout Thursday night. First full week since the break and it left me feeling like I can continue to progress, so that's a good thing.

My iliopsoas is still giving me a bit of a twinge when I get to depth, but if I warm it up thoroughly first it's not too bad. I don't feel it at all during regular walking around or yard work activities. So far I don't think it's limiting my squat, but it does make me think twice about going to depth. I have to fight that feeling a bit.

Squat:
    108x5
    135x5
    162x7
    189x7
    221x4
    230x3
    162x10

Bench Press:
    91x5
    113x5
    136x7
    159x7
    186x5
    195x3
    136x11

BB Row:
    105x5
    131x5
    157x7
    183x7
    215x4
    220x3
    157x10

Overhead Press:
    53x5
    66x5
    80x7
    93x7
    109x4
    115x2
    80x10

Accessories:
    Pullups, 2 sets, neutral grip, 35 lb plate: 7 + 6, 13 reps total.
    Pushups, 1 set, w/grip handles: 45 reps.
    -Voltaire

Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    My iliopsoas is still giving me a bit of a twinge when I get to depth, but if I warm it up thoroughly first it's not too bad. I don't feel it at all during regular walking around or yard work activities. So far I don't think it's limiting my squat, but it does make me think twice about going to depth. I have to fight that feeling a bit.
    I have a bad elbow (chin-up) and shoulder (bench) for years. Like your iliopsoas after warm up sets, it always subside not completely though. With an anticipation of pain and an guilty feeling of harming my own body, each rep gives me a question, what if I stop here and refrain from doing this exercise until injuries completely heal.....

Dave, your BB row and weighted pull-ups are impressive, especially total 13 reps with 35 lbs after heavy rows (220 lbs x 3). I always wonder how much weight and how many reps you really could do without pre-exhaustion by heavy rows.

Keep it coming my Amazing Friend!!
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 12-09-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: especially not specially...silly of me
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

I have a bad elbow (chin-up) and shoulder (bench) for years. Like your iliopsoas after warm up sets, it always subside not completely though. With an anticipation of pain and an guilty feeling of harming my own body, each rep gives me a question, what if I stop here and refrain from doing this exercise until injuries completely heal.....

Dave, your BB row and weighted pull-ups are impressive, specially total 13 reps with 35 lbs after heavy rows (220 lbs x 3). I always wonder how much weight and how many reps you really could do without pre-exhaustion by heavy rows.

Keep it coming my Amazing Friend!!
    One of these days I'll give myself a pullup test and find out. Usually by the time I get to the pullups and pushups and the other accessories, I do feel pretty bushed. More so after that first pushup set. Seems to bother me the most on Tuesdays, for some reason I haven't figured out yet.
    -Voltaire

Started Week 74 Sunday night with an excellent workout. Best I've felt in a while. The weights went up, so I'm only one week from the levels of my last deload, and I felt like I had a bit left in me. I managed to get all the accessories in, and improved mt performance on my previous efforts, so they're finally going in the right direction as well.

The weight gain is still faster than I would like, and I'm noticing a bit of a paunch. One thing I don't want to do is have to buy larger pants sizes! I'm not ready to cut yet, but I think it's time to limit this see-food diet I'm on.

Another thing for the near future, is I've been reading up on Creatine lately, and it sounds like it might be useful for an old guy like me. If I start it, that might bump my weight up more, at least at first. But if it all goes in the right places, that will be worth it.

Morning weight: 173.8 lbs.

Bench Press:
    93x5
    116x5
    140x7
    163x7
    186x6

Squat:
    111x5 Paused
    138x5 Paused
    166x7
    193x7
    221x5

BB Row:
    108x5
    135x5
    161x7
    188x7
    215x5

Overhead Press:
    55x5
    68x5
    82x7
    95x7
    109x5

Accessories:
    Pullups, Neutral/wide Grip, and Chinups, narrow/supinated, 5 sets; 3 sets pullups + 2 sets chinups, 35 lb plate: 7 + 6 + 6 + 5 + 5, 29 reps total.
    Pushups w/grip handles, 3 sets: 48 + 46 = 44, 138 reps total.
    Stiff-legged Deadlifts, 115 lbs, 2 sets: 15 + 15, 30 reps total.
    Close-grip Bench Press, 135 lbs, 2 sets: 9 + 8, 17 reps total.
    DB Lateral Raise, 2 sets, 20 lb DBs: 12 + 13, 25 reps total.
    -Voltaire

Tuesday wasn't as good as Sunday. Went to bed Sunday night feeling great after the workout. Woke up Monday morning with a twinge in my right shoulder, mostly in the medial Deltoid. My first thought was that I must have slept funny on it. The pain got worse throughout the day, and by lunchtime I couldn't move it without intense pain. By the end of the day it took both hands just to turn the ignition key in my car, and I had to drive mostly with my left hand, because it hurt to reach towards the steering wheel with the right. There was some tenderness, but not any visible swelling. I figured from the pain patterns I could probably still deadlift, and maybe squat, but I didn't hold much hope for any pressing.

Tuesday, I woke up feeling a little better, and took some aspirin before I left for work. The pain steadily subsided throughout the day, and by the time I got home I was probably back at about 90%. Headed out to work out a little later than usual, and figured I'd take it slow and see what I was capable of.

Turned out I was capable of the whole workout, except for the accessories. It DID go slow, and my pressing lifts were a bit on the ginger side. I missed my 5th rep on the Incline press, but got it back in a revenge set. My shoulder actually continued to improve throughout the workout, and felt better during the overhead press than it had during the incline. Deadlifts didn't bother it at all.

I did notice a overall lack of energy, in contrast to the extra oompf I had felt on Sunday. I don't know if that was mental, or just fatigue from the shoulder pain. Still, I'm going to call it a win, because I got a lot more done than I expected to. I'm still feeling a vague discomfort in that shoulder, but I'm sure it's just residual. I've never had so much pain disappear so fast. I can't credit the aspirin. I'm not an extraordinary healer.

I won't try to understand it, I'll just appreciate it!

Incline Press:
    97x5
    116x7
    136x7
    155x4
    155x3 -- Revenge set!

Squat:
    111x5 -- Paused
    138x5 -- Paused
    166x7
    166x7

Overhead Press:
    55x5
    68x5
    82x7
    95x7
    95x7

Deadlift:
    207x5
    250x7
    290x7
    330x5

No Accessories

Hopefully I'll be ready for full speed on Thursday!
    -Voltaire

Dave m'friend, about the body and its health you are the one who knows the best among us. So you might have slept funny on it (If it no longer bothers you) .

I don't think this is relevant to your story but I tell you anyway. The last week, I woke up fine and sat in front of PC and typing for 20 mins or so then I suddenly felt a strange twinge/cramp in my back between shoulder blades. Later that day, throughout the jog, every time I took a deep breath something inside my lung complained and screamed "Stop that!". It took me a few more days to recover fully. Still don't know what I did wrong or what caused it in the first place. It's really disquieting but I cannot do anything about it except for seeing a doctor that I hate the most and will never do for a near future.

These days, I seldom know whether the real cause of the pain originates in my internal organs or skeletal muscles when I feel something is wrong. *shrug*

The only moments I really feel alive without any health concerns are those times when I run or ruck fighting for my breath and listening my creaking body complaining though at the same time also whispering "not to worry, it's natural for your age". It's a hell of a reassuring than a doctor's smile.
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 12-13-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Dave m'friend, about the body and its health you are the one who knows the best among us. So you might have slept funny on it (If it no longer bothers you) .

I don't think this is relevant to your story but I tell you anyway. The last week, I woke up fine and sat in front of PC and typing for 20 mins or so then I suddenly felt a strange twinge/cramp in my back between shoulder blades. Later that day, throughout the jog, every time I took a deep breath something inside my lung complained and screamed "Stop that!". It took me a few more days to recover fully. Still don't know what I did wrong or what caused it in the first place. It's really disquieting but I cannot do anything about it except for seeing a doctor that I hate the most and will never do for a near future.

These days, I seldom know whether the real cause of the pain originates in my internal organs or skeletal muscles when I feel something is wrong. *shrug*

The only moments I really feel alive without any health concerns are those times when I run or ruck fighting for my breath and listening my creaking body complaining though at the same time also whispering "not to worry, it's natural for your age". It's a hell of a reassuring than a doctor's smile.
    It's actually quite relevant. I think if I'd had the same pain event when I was a kid, it would have been put down to "growing pains." Now that I'm approaching geezerhood, it can be called aging pains. In my prime, it would have been called "You might HAVE a pain in the shoulder, but you ARE a pain in the butt!"

Yeah, if it goes away by itself, there's really no reason to complain about it. But I'm very much a cause-and-effect guy, and I have difficulty accepting anything I can't find an explanation for. Maybe I'll have to call it quantum uncertainty pain, and just blame Heisenberg.
    -Voltaire

I did complete the Thursday night workout, with no shoulder issues. Things did feel heavy, and I felt kind of slow and dragging the whole evening. I kind of fell apart on my last set of the overhead press, and then didn't really have anything left for the revenge set or a peaking set either, so that also meant no accessories. As for total volume under the bar with the main lifts, though, it was a productive workout. I managed three reps at 200 pounds on Bench Press, which i better than I've done since my treatments. So things are moving in the right direction. Week 74 complete!

Squat:
    111x5 -- Paused
    138x5 -- Paused
    166x7
    193x7
    227x4
    235x3
    166x10

Bench Press:
    93x5
    116x5
    140x7
    163x7
    191x5
    200x3
    140x11

BB Rows:
    108x5
    135x5
    161x7
    188x7
    220x4
    225x3
    161x10

Overhead Press:
    55x5
    68x5
    82x7
    95x7
    112x3
    112x1 -- Revenge set!
    82x10

No accessories.

I'm thinking that my accessories problem may be due to a lack of overall work capacity. I'm getting stronger, but my total capacity may not be going up at the same rate. Something I need to look into. More conditioning?
    -Voltaire

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Congratulations on the nice milestone on your bench recovery! Best wishes for smooth sailing ahead.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

I'm getting stronger, but my total capacity may not be going up at the same rate. Something I need to look into. More conditioning?
    I'm not sure. So are you thinking of conditioning in lieu of accessories or in addition to?

You have a very well rounded routine without accessories. Have you considered dropping them entirely for a few weeks to see what affect it will have?

I'm not sure. So are you thinking of conditioning in lieu of accessories or in addition to?

You have a very well rounded routine without accessories. Have you considered dropping them entirely for a few weeks to see what affect it will have?
    Well, this past week I dropped them for 2 days out of three!

I was looking at Barbell Medicine's "The Bridge" program, and they don't program any accessories on the three main lift days, but stick them in on a separate day along with conditioning. They approach them with an AMRAP style that only takes a few minutes, and they only do it one or two days a week depending on where you are in the cycle. So, I may be making a bigger deal about it than I need to.

Still, I have an emotional attachment to pullups, at least, and it bothers me when I don't get to them.
    -Voltaire

I was looking at Barbell Medicine's "The Bridge" program, and they don't program any accessories on the three main lift days, but stick them in on a separate day along with conditioning. They approach them with an AMRAP style that only takes a few minutes, and they only do it one or two days a week depending on where you are in the cycle. So, I may be making a bigger deal about it than I need to.

Still, I have an emotional attachment to pullups, at least, and it bothers me when I don't get to them.
    I know that you're a more of a "by the book" guy than I am, but pull-ups are a fine back exercise by themselves and I would have no reservations in swapping them for rows.

I like the approach of The Bridge when it comes to accessories. And you'd probably never find the true motivation for including an accessory day, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were added simply because most new lifters insist on doing them anyway, so the author figured I'll give them a day of doing what they like because they're going to do them anyway

I know that you're a more of a "by the book" guy than I am, but pull-ups are a fine back exercise by themselves and I would have no reservations in swapping them for rows.

I like the approach of The Bridge when it comes to accessories. And you'd probably never find the true motivation for including an accessory day, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were added simply because most new lifters insist on doing them anyway, so the author figured I'll give them a day of doing what they like because they're going to do them anyway
    Yeah, I think Jordan Feigenbaum and Austin Baraki regard rows as essentially assistance work. But they regard pullups as that too. Speaking of "By the Book", Feigenbaum/Baraki are pretty no-nonsense characters, and I don't think they'd include something they considered gratuitous. The creator of Madcow, on the other hand, included curls in his accessory list, not because he thought they were particularly useful, but because he figured people were going to do them anyway.

So far I've avoided that one.

Ultimately, I think I just need to be a little more flexible regarding accessories, and to not feel guilty when they just don't happen for whatever reason.
    -Voltaire

And week 75 is now underway! Sunday night got me off to a decent start, I added an intensity set at the end each one of my max lifts, and it worked well on the fatigue end. Didn't get all the accessories, but I did get the ones I consider most critical, so I'm happy there.

Also, began taking creatine monohydrate in the morning, 5g -- no loading, so it will be a few weeks before I see any results, if at all. My wife is taking it too, and I really hope it helps for her. After about 4 years of work, she's finally at the point where she can start doing stiff-legged deadlifts with light dumbbells, and she can bend her knees enough to do some band work. For a long time she couldn't bend her knees at all, and walking was difficult for her. So I hope she's reaching a tipping point for the better.

Morning Weight: 173.8 -- same as last week, which is ok.

Bench Press:
    94x5
    118x5
    142x7
    165x7
    189x5
    189x3

Squat:
    112x5 -- Paused
    140x5 -- Paused
    168x7
    196x7
    224x5
    224x3

BB Row:
    109x5
    136x5
    164x7
    191x7
    218x5
    218x3

Overhead Press:
    55x5
    69x5
    83x7
    97x7
    111x5
    111x3

Accessories:
    Pullup/Chinups, 5 sets, 3 sets neutral-grip pullups + 2 sets close-grip chinups, 35 lb plate hanging: 7 + 7 + 6 + 5 + 5, 30 reps total.

Pushups w/grip handles, 3 sets: 48 + 48 + 46, 142 reps total.

Stiff-legged deadlifts, 2 sets, 120 lbs: 12 + 15, 27 reps total.

Feelin' inspired!
    -Voltaire

And here is another good example of marriage working. *bow*

------Just a thought-------

If you alternate weighted pull-up and barbell row, every other week, dead lift might get benefit from that.

Barbell row and Dead lift both put a stress on your lower back, which not so easily be dismissed when the load is over 300 lbs, while even heavy weighted pull-up taxes or causes no such amount of lower back stress.

One week you do heavy dead lift (Tue) & pull-up (Thu) and another week do relatively lighter dead lift (Tue) & barbell row (Thu).

Not right away, I just thought it may worth trying when your dead lift starts to suffer a plateau.