Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Can't get the double knee bend / power position down

I've been doing clean for years and I've just learned I've been doing it incorrectly this whole time. What I've been doing is just deadlifting it to just past my knees then kind of exploding the weight up using a jumping motion. Basically, I clean pretty much the exact same way that the girl in this video does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6zNclJ9TE&t

Over the past couple of days, I've been watching loads of videos that say that after the bar reaches your knees, you basically need to stop unbending your knees and just straighten your torso as you shift your weight back (which will inadvertently push your hips and knees slightly forward) in preparation for an explosive hip drive. Is this correct? It seems totally counter intuitive to me. It just seems like you’re taking all of the momentum of the bar away by completely switching to a new movement after the weight passes the knees. It seems like you're preparing for a jumping motion when you first lift the weight and then you almost start moving in the opposite direction after lifting the weight past the knees. I don’t understand how you’re supposed to jump back with the bar after already having pulled it back - where would the tension come from? The only way I can see this method working is if the bar reached your hip crease when you started your final explosive jump. I can't see where else the power would come from. I’m aware that this is the case with snatch but I thought that for clean the bar position before the final drive would be about 2-4 inches below the hip crease. When I do the “double knee bend”, that’s where the bar is for me (and I assume that’s normal because I’m holding the bar just outside my shoulder width (which I assume is the correct width) and my wingspan is only 1 inch greater than my height). Can anyone help explain this to me? I can’t figure out what I’m missing.

Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Virus4762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    anyone?

FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000) FNG37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, just like everything else, there's a couple different answers.

Look at two examples, the Chinese "scoop."

vs. the Russians less subtle double knee bend.

Which way is "correct?" Depends who you're asking and you're body type. How do you teach it? Some coaches don't purposefully teach it, that creates problems.

Really there's as many styles as there are lifters. Like this dude, what do you tell a 77kg that C&J's 195 like that? Grab a broom and start over?

Post a video if you can.

WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WCC has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Virus4762 View Post
    II’m aware that this is the case with snatch but I thought that for clean the bar position before the final drive would be about 2-4 inches below the hip crease.
    This is true.

I can’t figure out what I’m missing
    A coach.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Virus4762 View Post
    I've been doing clean for years and I've just learned I've been doing it incorrectly this whole time. What I've been doing is just deadlifting it to just past my knees then kind of exploding the weight up using a jumping motion. Basically, I clean pretty much the exact same way that the girl in this video does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6zNclJ9TE&t

Over the past couple of days, I've been watching loads of videos that say that after the bar reaches your knees, you basically need to stop unbending your knees and just straighten your torso as you shift your weight back (which will inadvertently push your hips and knees slightly forward) in preparation for an explosive hip drive. Is this correct? It seems totally counter intuitive to me. It just seems like you’re taking all of the momentum of the bar away by completely switching to a new movement after the weight passes the knees. It seems like you're preparing for a jumping motion when you first lift the weight and then you almost start moving in the opposite direction after lifting the weight past the knees. I don’t understand how you’re supposed to jump back with the bar after already having pulled it back - where would the tension come from? The only way I can see this method working is if the bar reached your hip crease when you started your final explosive jump. I can't see where else the power would come from. I’m aware that this is the case with snatch but I thought that for clean the bar position before the final drive would be about 2-4 inches below the hip crease. When I do the “double knee bend”, that’s where the bar is for me (and I assume that’s normal because I’m holding the bar just outside my shoulder width (which I assume is the correct width) and my wingspan is only 1 inch greater than my height). Can anyone help explain this to me? I can’t figure out what I’m missing.

While you are looking for a coach; break up the movement into less complicated bits to work on them in isolation;

This is what I would start with, notice how he uses just the bar.

In a separate exercise work on your starting position: don't lift, just get into position and take phone vids of yourself, compare what you see with google images of the pros. Note exactly where they grip, where the shoulders are, back angle, knee, foot, and where their hips are relative to their knees. Still images are better for this. My reasoning here is if you cant get into the starting position correctly when you get around to pulling from the floor nothing will go correctly after that.

Pulling from the floor makes everything more complicated, you can maybe try this progression.

Start with this

Clean dead lifts

Try this

Clean pulls

Problem with watching expert lifters is that they throw in complications like "dynamic starts"...look up what that is.. but DONT USE IT.

Be completely familiar with terms like first pull, second pull etc.

I am not a coach, but I had the benefit of getting coached for periods of time in recent past. Use very light weights, eventually you will begin to see how this goes together and you try the above in your own learning complexes. Clean deads+clean pulls+ scare crow clean+rack delivery.

Post videos of your progress. Compare your videos to the instructional ones, frame by frame.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out